French hotel amenities...

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Post Reply
charleshugh
Posts: 66
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:09 am

French hotel amenities...

Post by charleshugh » Tue May 22, 2018 12:17 pm

I am wondering if I should expect the following amenities in Paris and northern France:

Iron (and board)
Hair dryer
Washer and dryer (on premise)
Refrigerator

Thanks so much!

Always passive
Posts: 297
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:25 am
Location: Israel

Re: French hotel amenities...

Post by Always passive » Tue May 22, 2018 12:19 pm

It is all a matter of $

FreemanB
Posts: 249
Joined: Thu May 22, 2014 5:55 am

Re: French hotel amenities...

Post by FreemanB » Tue May 22, 2018 12:21 pm

I wouldn't expect any of the items in particular, but you can generally check on Hotels.com or other websites to find out what specific hotels offer.

User avatar
KlingKlang
Posts: 680
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:26 pm

Re: French hotel amenities...

Post by KlingKlang » Tue May 22, 2018 12:22 pm

You are very likely to have a bidet in the bathroom. For the other items can you check with the hotel's website?

msk
Posts: 851
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:40 am

Re: French hotel amenities...

Post by msk » Tue May 22, 2018 12:29 pm

You can often ask for any of the items if they are not already provided in your room. We have never been charged extra for an iron plus ironing board, nor for a kettle nor for a hair dryer. YMMV. I would expect only self-catering apartments to provide a washer and dryer either within the apartment or on premises. I cannot imagine a Fairmont or a Ritz anywhere in the world providing a washer and dryer for customer use :confused

Rupert
Posts: 3452
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:01 pm

Re: French hotel amenities...

Post by Rupert » Tue May 22, 2018 12:54 pm

I would not expect any of those items in a French hotel room (or hotel, in the case of the washer/dryer). That said, most hotels in large cities that cater to tourists, especially American tourists, will likely be able to provide whatever you need.

User avatar
Pajamas
Posts: 6015
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:32 pm

Re: French hotel amenities...

Post by Pajamas » Tue May 22, 2018 1:39 pm

Always passive wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 12:19 pm
It is all a matter of $
+1

Go cheap and the bathroom will be down the hall.

User avatar
VictoriaF
Posts: 18400
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:27 am
Location: Black Swan Lake

Re: French hotel amenities...

Post by VictoriaF » Tue May 22, 2018 2:53 pm

KlingKlang wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 12:22 pm
You are very likely to have a bidet in the bathroom.
Bidets used to be highly likely. But recently, in cheaper hotels, I had no bidet.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

adamthesmythe
Posts: 2133
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:47 pm

Re: French hotel amenities...

Post by adamthesmythe » Tue May 22, 2018 4:54 pm

The most likely thing to find is the refrigerator, only they will call it a minibar and fill it with pricey drinks.

Trism
Posts: 78
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:34 pm

Re: French hotel amenities...

Post by Trism » Tue May 22, 2018 6:53 pm

KlingKlang wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 12:22 pm
You are very likely to have a bidet in the bathroom.
Do NOT use this to dry your hair or keep beer cold.

User avatar
VictoriaF
Posts: 18400
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:27 am
Location: Black Swan Lake

Re: French hotel amenities...

Post by VictoriaF » Tue May 22, 2018 6:58 pm

Trism wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 6:53 pm
KlingKlang wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 12:22 pm
You are very likely to have a bidet in the bathroom.
Do NOT use this to dry your hair or keep beer cold.
Fair warning. Even in less esoteric situations, some people act ridiculously. I've seen blog reports of a woman drying her underwear in an airplane in-cabin air vent.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

User avatar
GerryL
Posts: 1740
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:40 pm

Re: French hotel amenities...

Post by GerryL » Tue May 22, 2018 7:24 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 2:53 pm
KlingKlang wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 12:22 pm
You are very likely to have a bidet in the bathroom.
Bidets used to be highly likely. But recently, in cheaper hotels, I had no bidet.

Victoria
In recent years I have travelled in France a few times after a long absence. I saw no bidets at all. I stayed in both "economy" lodgings that had been retrofitted with private bathrooms and in nicer rooms with spacious bathrooms. But not one bidet sighting.

Grt2bOutdoors
Posts: 18851
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:20 pm
Location: New York

Re: French hotel amenities...

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Tue May 22, 2018 7:32 pm

GerryL wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 7:24 pm
VictoriaF wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 2:53 pm
KlingKlang wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 12:22 pm
You are very likely to have a bidet in the bathroom.
Bidets used to be highly likely. But recently, in cheaper hotels, I had no bidet.

Victoria
In recent years I have travelled in France a few times after a long absence. I saw no bidets at all. I stayed in both "economy" lodgings that had been retrofitted with private bathrooms and in nicer rooms with spacious bathrooms. But not one bidet sighting.
Although not France, you will find Bidets in many Italian hotels.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

Grt2bOutdoors
Posts: 18851
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:20 pm
Location: New York

Re: French hotel amenities...

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Tue May 22, 2018 7:34 pm

I think the OP is pushing it expecting a washer and dryer in a hotel. I’d expect a more costly hotel would have a dry cleaning or garment washing service but will cost more than a fee Euros to stay there.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

Nearly A Moose
Posts: 844
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:28 pm

Re: French hotel amenities...

Post by Nearly A Moose » Tue May 22, 2018 7:37 pm

Will depend wildly on the hotel. International chain catering to American tourists. Yes to all but washer and dryer. Small boutique. Potentially no to all. Where are you staying? If you have reservations or a short list already, is just check website or email. You can probably find a laundromat easily enough. I'd probably pay the hotel to wash my clothes for me though. Time on vacation is precious.
Pardon typos, I'm probably using my fat thumbs on a tiny phone.

User avatar
unclescrooge
Posts: 2289
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:00 pm

Re: French hotel amenities...

Post by unclescrooge » Tue May 22, 2018 9:59 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 6:58 pm
Trism wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 6:53 pm
KlingKlang wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 12:22 pm
You are very likely to have a bidet in the bathroom.
Do NOT use this to dry your hair or keep beer cold.
Fair warning. Even in less esoteric situations, some people act ridiculously. I've seen blog reports of a woman drying her underwear in an airplane in-cabin air vent.

Victoria
Hopefully she wasn't wearing them at the time.

Post Reply