How have you upgraded your wardrobe?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
PhilosophyAndrew

Re: How have you upgraded your wardrobe?

Post by PhilosophyAndrew »

pomomojo wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 10:38 pm Why did you feel the urge to upgrade your wardrobe?

I'm a huge fan of dressing nicely. My own wardrobe choices are likely in the minority for this forum

FYI, PhilosophyAndrew
There are other brands that are aesthetically similar to Cucinelli, but much less expensive.
LBM 1911 and Boglioli both makes soft shoulder style Italian jackets for around $1-1.5k, which is considerably less than the $3-4k charged by Cucinelli. Alternatively, I think Luciano Barbera and Borrelli products have similar aesthetics and competitive pricing, with more hand detailing...
Thank you kindly for the recommendations!

Andy.
MJW

Post by MJW »

randomguy wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 11:27 pm Do you understand the mockery or derision that some people have expressed for people who prefer not to dress up in some uncomfortable outfit?:)
No. In threads such as this one I don't think offering suggestions consistent with what one prefers necessitates mocking or bashing what other people do.

Also, not sure what you mean by "some uncomfortable outfit," as comfort in apparel is largely subjective.
randomguy wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 11:27 pmIt is the exact same thing where someone gets into trouble for not wearing the correct clothes for the job. Wearing a tie to type on a computer is the right atire at FANG type companies. Though if you do nobody really cares. They will rib you for a while asking where your interviewing and the like and then move on. Showing up to your probation hearing wearing a hoodie is equally bad though.

It should be noted that there is also a vast difference between causal/"professional" and upgraded clothes that look nice. Just because you are in a casual environment doesn't mean you need to wear the ill fitting jeans and the shirt with pizza stains. Maybe you get that $200/pair of jeans that fits well and you get a tshirt that is a bit higher than the quality that was handed out at the last convention you attended. And no that does't mean you have to buy something crazy trendy either.
Okay.

My suggestion is that people wear what is within the range of appropriate attire for their place of work. If the dress requirements bother them on some fundamental level then they should seek other employment as soon as is practicable.
CedarWaxWing

Post by CedarWaxWing »

Alexa9 wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 2:38 pm I have downgraded my wardrobe and chose function over form for the most part. Fashion is highly overrated to me. Quality is important but designer brand is not important at all to me.
1. There is beauty in function.

2. If you have not been in style before, no reason to start now. :)
harrychan

Post by harrychan »

Most of my shirts and some slacks are from banana republic. If you are patient, you can score deep discounts along with additional sales. Suits are tailor made from my last trips to Hong Kong. I recently bought a navy blue linen jacket at Macy's for $30.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.
GKSD

Post by GKSD »

I work in tech industry in So Cal and our office attire is shorts, t-shirts and flip-flops. Don't need to spend too much even if I want to look nicer and sharper :beer