How have you upgraded your wardrobe?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
User avatar
jabberwockOG
Posts: 1439
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 7:23 am

Re: How have you upgraded your wardrobe?

Post by jabberwockOG » Tue May 22, 2018 3:08 pm

donall wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 9:16 am
In our neighborhood, the shabbier the clothes, the richer the guy. Oh course this is only for the retired group.
Yep, 100% agree. The need to dress to impress diminishes greatly with significant financial independence.

3funder
Posts: 712
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:35 pm

Re: How have you upgraded your wardrobe?

Post by 3funder » Tue May 22, 2018 3:12 pm

A few dark suits (two would suffice)
A navy blue blazer
Khakis (tan/beige, navy blue)
Long-sleeve button-down dress shirts (white/sky blue mostly)
Neck ties (conservative colors; go easy on the patterns)
Short-sleeve polos (conservative colors; go easy on the patterns)
Dress socks (black/grey, navy blue)
Sperry Top-Siders (or something similar; light or dark brown)
Black dress shoes (w/laces)
Brown dress shoes (w/laces)

Don't spend a ton of money; my father was upper-management (bordering on executive) for decades and shopped mostly at Sears, Kmart, DSW, Famous Footwear, etc. No one cared, not one little bit.

User avatar
VictoriaF
Posts: 18545
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:27 am
Location: Black Swan Lake

Re: How have you upgraded your wardrobe?

Post by VictoriaF » Tue May 22, 2018 3:25 pm

123 wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 9:37 am
I bought some new socks from JC Penney a couple of years ago. It took me a year to get around to opening the package. I usually only introduce a new pair into my sock rotation when there's a special occasion, like when we visit friends/relatives where the custom is to remove shoes when we enter the home.
Don't you remove shoes in airports?

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

MathWizard
Posts: 2995
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:35 pm

Re: How have you upgraded your wardrobe?

Post by MathWizard » Tue May 22, 2018 3:50 pm

Not a lot, but I was already dressing on the high end for people in my (former) position.

I'm in IT. I always wore dress shirt/pants/shoes, but no tie or suit coat.
Generally IT people look upon you as an outsider if you wear a suit.

When I got promoted to a level which reported to a senior VP, I bought Brooks Brothers shirts,
and nicer shoes, but kept the pants the same.

I keep a sports coat and tie behind the door when I have meetings higher ups or clients
outside of IT. It's really a show of respect.

Pacman
Posts: 161
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:50 pm

Re: How have you upgraded your wardrobe?

Post by Pacman » Tue May 22, 2018 4:07 pm

IMO, if you are not client facing or looking to move up the corporate, you don't need to upgrade your wardrobe. I personally go with brooks brother slim fit, kirkland dress pants, and Allen Edmunds shoes (~$200 pair when on discount). Whatever you do, don't make the mistake of buying a pair of high-end shoes with a buckle on them - I can't help but think that they make people look like pirates.

S&L1940
Posts: 1596
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:19 pm
Location: South Florida

Re: How have you upgraded your wardrobe?

Post by S&L1940 » Tue May 22, 2018 6:06 pm

TravelGeek wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 11:41 am

Yup. And I really only need the top half since the bottom half is not visible on video conferences (I work remotely).

So at this moment it's a polo shirt (LL Bean, 5 years old) and shorts. Pretty standard for me. No plans to upgrade anything.
I posted once before: When we moved to Florida and I was working remote, got ribbed all the time about living in old folks land and do I have to break off of a teleconference at 4 to catch the Early Bird special.
Got my revenge when the company finally went to casual Friday and I posed a question on a midweek conference, "I am sitting here barefoot, wearing a tee shirt and shorts, what the heck do I wear on casual Friday?"
That shut them up!
Of course when 2008 hit and everyone was getting thrown overboard, it was easy to offload the unseen guy with the Margaritaville wardrobe...
Don't it always seem to go * That you don't know what you've got * Till it's gone

TallBoy29er
Posts: 476
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:06 pm

Re: How have you upgraded your wardrobe?

Post by TallBoy29er » Tue May 22, 2018 7:54 pm

I just spent $450 on a pair of Lucchese hand made boots. My last pair lasted 28 years, and still look good. Sometimes you need to look at the long game ($16/yr) when spending on the wardrobe.

I also buy polos from Ross. They last a couple years a piece but are only $9.99 per. I guess the boots, at 3x the annual cost, may be expensive relative.

TallBoy29er
Posts: 476
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:06 pm

Re: How have you upgraded your wardrobe?

Post by TallBoy29er » Tue May 22, 2018 7:58 pm

Pacman wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 4:07 pm
IMO, if you are not client facing or looking to move up the corporate, you don't need to upgrade your wardrobe. I personally go with brooks brother slim fit, kirkland dress pants, and Allen Edmunds shoes (~$200 pair when on discount). Whatever you do, don't make the mistake of buying a pair of high-end shoes with a buckle on them - I can't help but think that they make people look like pirates.
Argghhhhhh, matey. I ahhhgreeee with you about the buckles

User avatar
vitaflo
Posts: 979
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:02 pm

Re: How have you upgraded your wardrobe?

Post by vitaflo » Tue May 22, 2018 8:11 pm

Texanbybirth wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 10:06 am
Where are all these jobs that let you wear jeans? :confused I would love to wear my Wal-Mart Wranglers all day everyday. (I even sleep in them occasionally.)

Apparently I missed the Life mini-lotto...
I've never worn anything other than jeans for my entire 20 year career. I also would never take a job that didn't allow jeans. What I wear to work is the same thing I wear to Target on Saturday. Life's too short for khakis.

golfCaddy
Posts: 701
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:02 pm

Re: How have you upgraded your wardrobe?

Post by golfCaddy » Tue May 22, 2018 9:01 pm

Some brands have sales up to 50% off. If you don't need to replace your wardrobe all at once, you can wait for a sale. If you think those brands are still overpriced at a 50% discount, then upper end clothing may not be worth it to you. Most outlet clothing is a lower quality label made specifically for outlets. However, some of the outlet stuff is the normal label, at true bargain prices, which didn't sell at a main store for whatever reason.

User avatar
Pajamas
Posts: 6015
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:32 pm

Re: How have you upgraded your wardrobe?

Post by Pajamas » Tue May 22, 2018 9:35 pm

Pacman wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 4:07 pm
Whatever you do, don't make the mistake of buying a pair of high-end shoes with a buckle on them - I can't help but think that they make people look like pirates.
What do you have against pirates?

NextMil
Posts: 456
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:33 pm

Re: How have you upgraded your wardrobe?

Post by NextMil » Wed May 23, 2018 5:41 am

vitaflo wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 8:11 pm
Texanbybirth wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 10:06 am
Where are all these jobs that let you wear jeans? :confused I would love to wear my Wal-Mart Wranglers all day everyday. (I even sleep in them occasionally.)

Apparently I missed the Life mini-lotto...
I've never worn anything other than jeans for my entire 20 year career. I also would never take a job that didn't allow jeans. What I wear to work is the same thing I wear to Target on Saturday. Life's too short for khakis.
What’s really funny is I used to feel the same way, but the fit and feel of a nicely tailored suit, to me, is way more comfortable than jeans.

I think part of it is what you get used to.

User avatar
Toons
Posts: 12955
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:20 am
Location: Hills of Tennessee

Re: How have you upgraded your wardrobe?

Post by Toons » Wed May 23, 2018 6:38 am

Yes
A few pairs of shorts from Walmart for the summer.
A new batch of tye dye t shirts I make myself.
Pair of Crocs



:mrgreen:
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

desiderium
Posts: 701
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:08 am

Re: How have you upgraded your wardrobe?

Post by desiderium » Wed May 23, 2018 7:15 am

TSR wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 1:19 pm
desiderium wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 10:50 am
Shoes are really important. I spend 4-500 per pair (on sale) for a brand that fits me very well, and I have about 5 pairs altogether. I can walk for miles in these shoes without discomfort and they are extremely durable. I started this about 8 or 9 years ago and I still wear my first pair--they look great after a visit to the cobbler for a shine, heel replacement etc. I have come to appreciate that my amortized cost is not very high.
100% agree with you on the "fit" issue -- I was walking around in the wrong sized suit for a number of years. Shirts and pants tend to be way too baggy on older men as well.

I am writing just to ask you what your brand is for high-end dress shoes that are also comfortable. Thanks!
Santoni fits me like no other I have tried. I have only purchased on sale, one pair every couple of years or so, but since I have a good array and none have worn out yet I may not need another pair for some time.

livesoft
Posts: 62689
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:00 pm

Re: How have you upgraded your wardrobe?

Post by livesoft » Wed May 23, 2018 7:49 am

Many years ago, my mom gave me a Brooks Brother shirt as a gift. It fit so well and I received compliments wearing it, so I eventually bought more of these BB shirts. But I only bought them online and on sale. I also bought a BB classic dark navy blazer online and it fits perfectly at more than 50% off list price.

So how does this help you, investingdad?

1. Ask for clothes as gifts, but make it easy for the giver: Give them your sizes, brands, and the colors you like. I have had no qualms going to a store with no intention to buy anything, but only to try on clothes to find out what fits for me. Those shops in the airport are not really for selling clothes, but are mostly to advertise the brand, so trying on clothes at the airport while waiting is a convenient way to find out what fits you.

2. If you buy for yourself, shop online when there are big sales.

3. Take care of your clothes. Only wear them for a few hours a day. Otherwise, free T-shirts, old pants, and gym shorts are what you should be wearing. If you want to wear shorts all the time (I do), then I recommend the Academy house-brand Magellan and not cotton.

The last few items I have bought for myself came from Kohl's and Academy.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

CedarWaxWing
Posts: 600
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:24 pm

Re: How have you upgraded your wardrobe?

Post by CedarWaxWing » Wed May 23, 2018 7:59 am

jabberwockOG wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 3:08 pm
donall wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 9:16 am
In our neighborhood, the shabbier the clothes, the richer the guy. Oh course this is only for the retired group.
Yep, 100% agree. The need to dress to impress diminishes greatly with significant financial independence.
I am 67 yrs old at this time... shopped goodwill in hs and college... and grad/prof school. Although I get most of my day to day clothing at REI with discount coupons as needed my kids and friends know my motto of attire: "I have never been in style before, and there's no reason to start now".

CedarWaxWing
Posts: 600
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:24 pm

Re: How have you upgraded your wardrobe?

Post by CedarWaxWing » Wed May 23, 2018 8:07 am

livesoft wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 7:49 am

3. Take care of your clothes. Only wear them for a few hours a day. Otherwise, free T-shirts, old pants, and gym shorts are what you should be wearing. If you want to wear shorts all the time (I do), then I recommend the Academy house-brand Magellan and not cotton.

The last few items I have bought for myself came from Kohl's and Academy.

Shorts: My eldest son wore his soccer shorts, indoor soccer shoes, and white t shirt for most of middle school, all of HS, all of Undergrad, MS in Germany, and much of his current Phd program. Often even when it is snowing... adds a coat for that.

User avatar
Pajamas
Posts: 6015
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:32 pm

Re: How have you upgraded your wardrobe?

Post by Pajamas » Wed May 23, 2018 8:09 am

CedarWaxWing wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 7:59 am
Although I get most of my day to day clothing at REI with discount coupons as needed my kids and friends know my motto of attire: "I have never been in style before, and there's no reason to start now".
Buying all your clothes at REI IS in style in certain circles! :beer

livesoft
Posts: 62689
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:00 pm

Re: How have you upgraded your wardrobe?

Post by livesoft » Wed May 23, 2018 8:10 am

@CedarWaxWing, please ask your son what he intends to wear to his PhD defense and seminars when he is applying for jobs.

A nice gift to him might be some clothes for the above. :)
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

investingdad
Posts: 1419
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:41 pm

Re: How have you upgraded your wardrobe?

Post by investingdad » Wed May 23, 2018 8:18 am

My only clothing splurge has been Johnston & Murphy shoes, which by some standards are not a splurge. I paid about $140 each for a pair of black dress shoes and brown dress shoes.

Neither made in China.

Both were very uncomfortable at first but once broken in, feel wonderful. I may elect to get a pair of their higher end shoes based on my experience with these two pairs.

NextMil
Posts: 456
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:33 pm

Re: How have you upgraded your wardrobe?

Post by NextMil » Wed May 23, 2018 8:25 am

desiderium wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 7:15 am
TSR wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 1:19 pm
desiderium wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 10:50 am
Shoes are really important. I spend 4-500 per pair (on sale) for a brand that fits me very well, and I have about 5 pairs altogether. I can walk for miles in these shoes without discomfort and they are extremely durable. I started this about 8 or 9 years ago and I still wear my first pair--they look great after a visit to the cobbler for a shine, heel replacement etc. I have come to appreciate that my amortized cost is not very high.
100% agree with you on the "fit" issue -- I was walking around in the wrong sized suit for a number of years. Shirts and pants tend to be way too baggy on older men as well.

I am writing just to ask you what your brand is for high-end dress shoes that are also comfortable. Thanks!
Santoni fits me like no other I have tried. I have only purchased on sale, one pair every couple of years or so, but since I have a good array and none have worn out yet I may not need another pair for some time.
I wear Allen Edmonds, but I have found it really depends on the last. Some lasts gave me knee and hip pain. I felt like an old man, it was terrible.

skepticalobserver
Posts: 929
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:29 am

Re: How have you upgraded your wardrobe?

Post by skepticalobserver » Wed May 23, 2018 8:48 am

My wife made me buy a pair of Brooks Bros dress pants (online) for niece's wedding. I can't remember the last time I bought dress clothes. Closet filled with old suits--they're probably back in style.

CedarWaxWing
Posts: 600
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:24 pm

Re: How have you upgraded your wardrobe?

Post by CedarWaxWing » Wed May 23, 2018 9:11 am

livesoft wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 8:10 am
@CedarWaxWing, please ask your son what he intends to wear to his PhD defense and seminars when he is applying for jobs.

A nice gift to him might be some clothes for the above. :)
He has appropriate clothing for such things... esp since he had to wear such things to interview for the Phd apps, and goes to meetings a few times per year to absorb and deliver. At times during his interviews for the Phd he sometimes had interviews online on the day after or before an in person interview elsewhere. For at least one online interview he wore a shirt and tie... and jockey underwear with no pants. :)

MJW
Posts: 498
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:40 pm
Location: Pacific Northwest

Re: How have you upgraded your wardrobe?

Post by MJW » Wed May 23, 2018 11:02 am

It appears that some are using "khakis" in reference to dressier attire. Maybe it's become a catch-all term for "pants that aren't jeans" but actual khakis are casual attire, not professional or "dressed up."

Texanbybirth
Posts: 950
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:07 pm

Re: How have you upgraded your wardrobe?

Post by Texanbybirth » Wed May 23, 2018 11:33 am

NextMil wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 5:41 am
vitaflo wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 8:11 pm
Texanbybirth wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 10:06 am
Where are all these jobs that let you wear jeans? :confused I would love to wear my Wal-Mart Wranglers all day everyday. (I even sleep in them occasionally.)

Apparently I missed the Life mini-lotto...
I've never worn anything other than jeans for my entire 20 year career. I also would never take a job that didn't allow jeans. What I wear to work is the same thing I wear to Target on Saturday. Life's too short for khakis.
What’s really funny is I used to feel the same way, but the fit and feel of a nicely tailored suit, to me, is way more comfortable than jeans.

I think part of it is what you get used to.
As someone who has worn both (though, as the original quote points out, not at work) I'll take jeans any day. I do like the way I look in my suits, but I would never say it's as comfortable as jeans. Maybe you're buying the wrong pairs of jeans/not keeping them long enough? :D

Countermoon
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:22 pm

Re: How have you upgraded your wardrobe?

Post by Countermoon » Wed May 23, 2018 12:28 pm

It's really about fit. Lately I've been buying workhorse dress pants from Kohl's. Their Apt. 9 line has an extra slim fit option and these pants tend to fit very nicely. No, they aren't nice wools, but they look quite good for $20-25.

Macy's is fine for basic suitings. But if you want a nice suit start with Brooks Brothers or Suit Supply. My favorite shirtmaker is Kamakura. I used to wear a lot of Brooks Brothers but almost all of their shirts are the non-iron, which I can't stand. Give me plain, 100% cotton please!

mak1277
Posts: 777
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:26 pm

Re: How have you upgraded your wardrobe?

Post by mak1277 » Wed May 23, 2018 12:35 pm

NextMil wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 5:41 am
vitaflo wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 8:11 pm
Texanbybirth wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 10:06 am
Where are all these jobs that let you wear jeans? :confused I would love to wear my Wal-Mart Wranglers all day everyday. (I even sleep in them occasionally.)

Apparently I missed the Life mini-lotto...
I've never worn anything other than jeans for my entire 20 year career. I also would never take a job that didn't allow jeans. What I wear to work is the same thing I wear to Target on Saturday. Life's too short for khakis.
What’s really funny is I used to feel the same way, but the fit and feel of a nicely tailored suit, to me, is way more comfortable than jeans.

I think part of it is what you get used to.
Amen...I hate the trend of casual dress in the office. I don't even like to wear jeans when I occasionally have to work on a weekend.

mak1277
Posts: 777
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:26 pm

Re: How have you upgraded your wardrobe?

Post by mak1277 » Wed May 23, 2018 12:38 pm

Countermoon wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 12:28 pm
I used to wear a lot of Brooks Brothers but almost all of their shirts are the non-iron, which I can't stand.
I literally wouldn't buy a dress shirt that I have to iron in this day and age.

Countermoon
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:22 pm

Re: How have you upgraded your wardrobe?

Post by Countermoon » Wed May 23, 2018 1:03 pm

mak1277 wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 12:38 pm
Countermoon wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 12:28 pm
I used to wear a lot of Brooks Brothers but almost all of their shirts are the non-iron, which I can't stand.
I literally wouldn't buy a dress shirt that I have to iron in this day and age.
I get it. I just don't like what the non-iron coating does to the shirts. They feel slippery and don't breathe well.

NextMil
Posts: 456
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:33 pm

Re: How have you upgraded your wardrobe?

Post by NextMil » Wed May 23, 2018 1:10 pm

Countermoon wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 1:03 pm
I get it. I just don't like what the non-iron coating does to the shirts. They feel slippery and don't breathe well.
The newer brooks brothers at their flagship stores have adjusted the shirts so they are more breathable, much less plasticy. The old ones were like wearing a plastic bag. Once you factor in dry cleaning costs, and the newer shirts, I think they are a no brainer. I also have not blown out an elbow on them like I used to with the old versions.

NextMil
Posts: 456
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:33 pm

Re: How have you upgraded your wardrobe?

Post by NextMil » Wed May 23, 2018 1:11 pm

Texanbybirth wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 11:33 am
As someone who has worn both (though, as the original quote points out, not at work) I'll take jeans any day. I do like the way I look in my suits, but I would never say it's as comfortable as jeans. Maybe you're buying the wrong pairs of jeans/not keeping them long enough? :D
Maybe my 501s are not broken in enough....but still, a quality suit or slacks just seems more lightweight and comfortable.

Afty
Posts: 806
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:31 pm

Re: How have you upgraded your wardrobe?

Post by Afty » Wed May 23, 2018 1:19 pm

LiterallyIronic wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 11:16 am
Texanbybirth wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 10:06 am
Where are all these jobs that let you wear jeans? :confused I would love to wear my Wal-Mart Wranglers all day everyday. (I even sleep in them occasionally.)

Apparently I missed the Life mini-lotto...
Software development. All this talk of suits and "wear what your boss's boss wears" makes me laugh. My boss's boss is the CEO and he wears jeans, sneakers, and a polo shirt.
In software I’ve found it to actually be the opposite — if you dress too nicely, people don’t take you seriously.

schwank
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:14 pm

Re: How have you upgraded your wardrobe?

Post by schwank » Wed May 23, 2018 1:39 pm

You guys just cost me a couple hundred bucks on clothes based on some links in this thread. I may be a computer nerd but still need some sport coats to wear with jeans on occasion. That dappered site is dangerous!

NextMil
Posts: 456
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:33 pm

Re: How have you upgraded your wardrobe?

Post by NextMil » Wed May 23, 2018 1:41 pm

schwank wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 1:39 pm
You guys just cost me a couple hundred bucks on clothes based on some links in this thread. I may be a computer nerd but still need some sport coats to wear with jeans on occasion. That dappered site is dangerous!
Haha. Better get some sticks to beat them off of you....

letsgobobby
Posts: 11574
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:10 am

Re: How have you upgraded your wardrobe?

Post by letsgobobby » Wed May 23, 2018 1:47 pm

Recently found that Uniqlo slim fit shirts actually are slimmer. Affordable and better quality than whatever I had before. Bought a half dozen in the last year and in a decade I'll go shopping again.

coupleofcents
Posts: 175
Joined: Wed May 24, 2017 7:55 am

Re: How have you upgraded your wardrobe?

Post by coupleofcents » Wed May 23, 2018 2:08 pm

schwank wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 1:39 pm
You guys just cost me a couple hundred bucks on clothes based on some links in this thread. I may be a computer nerd but still need some sport coats to wear with jeans on occasion. That dappered site is dangerous!
Sorry man. I think that was me who gave that website. I'm at the point where my wardrobe is set and I just occasionally toss out something worn and get a similar replacement, so it's helpful to jump on that website and look for a good deal when a piece of clothing gets worn out.

CedarWaxWing
Posts: 600
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:24 pm

Re: How have you upgraded your wardrobe?

Post by CedarWaxWing » Wed May 23, 2018 2:19 pm

Afty wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 1:19 pm
LiterallyIronic wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 11:16 am
Texanbybirth wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 10:06 am
Where are all these jobs that let you wear jeans? :confused I would love to wear my Wal-Mart Wranglers all day everyday. (I even sleep in them occasionally.)

Apparently I missed the Life mini-lotto...
Software development. All this talk of suits and "wear what your boss's boss wears" makes me laugh. My boss's boss is the CEO and he wears jeans, sneakers, and a polo shirt.
In software I’ve found it to actually be the opposite — if you dress too nicely, people don’t take you seriously.
I do believe the "if you dress too nicely" line... who most tends to dress super nicely... the most brilliant, honest people in our society who have special expertise that is unusual and obviously have contributed a lot to our society... or the ones who have something to sell and think that looking dapper facilitates selling us something that we may not benefit from as much as they do?

CedarWaxWing
Posts: 600
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:24 pm

Re: How have you upgraded your wardrobe?

Post by CedarWaxWing » Wed May 23, 2018 2:25 pm

Pajamas wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 8:09 am
CedarWaxWing wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 7:59 am
Although I get most of my day to day clothing at REI with discount coupons as needed my kids and friends know my motto of attire: "I have never been in style before, and there's no reason to start now".
Buying all your clothes at REI IS in style in certain circles! :beer
Since in college I used to wear mostly blue jeans, long sleeved (roolled up since they were too short) white collared shirts that cost 50 cents, and converse or irish setters on the feet when everyone else was wearing non blue jeans... my other dress motto is:

No matter how out of style you are now, it will eventually be in style if you just keep wearing it. :) (Reminds me of "stay the course".)

PhilosophyAndrew
Posts: 454
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:06 am

Re: How have you upgraded your wardrobe?

Post by PhilosophyAndrew » Wed May 23, 2018 2:35 pm

jabberwockOG wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 3:08 pm
donall wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 9:16 am
In our neighborhood, the shabbier the clothes, the richer the guy. Oh course this is only for the retired group.
Yep, 100% agree. The need to dress to impress diminishes greatly with significant financial independence.
I’m an outlier. I suppose. I’m financially independent and have worked mainly from home for nearly twenty years (and so can wear whatever I want), but I’ve come to enjoy nice clothes and dress more formally and with more expensive clothes than I used to.

I’ve enjoyed using EBay to try out upscale brands that were new to me. I’m currently enamored with Brunello Cucinelli, which produces marvelous garments that I’m pretty confident weren’t produced by exploited labor.

Now that I can afford to avoid slave labor, thst ethical piece means a lot to me, as does the idea of having a smaller selection of higher-quality clothes. The brand I’ve been purchasing is expensive, but costs less on EBay. Since I can adford those purchases, I make them without angst — some BH might find that decision foolish but I’ve never been one to embrace frugality for its own sake and so am willing to put my money where my preferences and values are.

Andy.

User avatar
Alexa9
Posts: 1559
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:41 am

Re: How have you upgraded your wardrobe?

Post by Alexa9 » Wed May 23, 2018 2:38 pm

I have downgraded my wardrobe and chose function over form for the most part. Fashion is highly overrated to me. Quality is important but designer brand is not important at all to me.

michaeljc70
Posts: 3532
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:53 pm

Re: How have you upgraded your wardrobe?

Post by michaeljc70 » Wed May 23, 2018 3:04 pm

As others have mentioned, fit makes a huge difference. Also, if you have no sense of style (or don't have someone that does to help you), wearing expensive clothes that don't go together or are inappropriate for your body type, age, and/or where you are wearing them it won't matter. And maybe this is controversial, but I've known people that wore $5k custom suits and were very overweight and the clothes are the last thing you notice.
Last edited by michaeljc70 on Wed May 23, 2018 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LiterallyIronic
Posts: 791
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:36 am

Re: How have you upgraded your wardrobe?

Post by LiterallyIronic » Wed May 23, 2018 3:09 pm

Afty wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 1:19 pm
LiterallyIronic wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 11:16 am
Texanbybirth wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 10:06 am
Where are all these jobs that let you wear jeans? :confused I would love to wear my Wal-Mart Wranglers all day everyday. (I even sleep in them occasionally.)

Apparently I missed the Life mini-lotto...
Software development. All this talk of suits and "wear what your boss's boss wears" makes me laugh. My boss's boss is the CEO and he wears jeans, sneakers, and a polo shirt.
In software I’ve found it to actually be the opposite — if you dress too nicely, people don’t take you seriously.
That's not the opposite, that's the same thing that I'm saying. I was laughing at the notion of dressing up.

schwank
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:14 pm

Re: How have you upgraded your wardrobe?

Post by schwank » Wed May 23, 2018 3:31 pm

coupleofcents wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 2:08 pm
schwank wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 1:39 pm
You guys just cost me a couple hundred bucks on clothes based on some links in this thread. I may be a computer nerd but still need some sport coats to wear with jeans on occasion. That dappered site is dangerous!


Sorry man. I think that was me who gave that website. I'm at the point where my wardrobe is set and I just occasionally toss out something worn and get a similar replacement, so it's helpful to jump on that website and look for a good deal when a piece of clothing gets worn out.
No worries, it worked out well so thanks. I work for a FAANG and typically wear jeans and a polo or sweater. I'm in a customer facing role but my customers also dress very casually. At 40 I'm trying to dress a little nicer than I used too but too dressy and people make comments. So I'm slowly adding decent stuff as I can find values.

My preferred local brick and mortar stores are gone, and what remains typically is too fancy or hipster for me.

MJW
Posts: 498
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:40 pm
Location: Pacific Northwest

Re: How have you upgraded your wardrobe?

Post by MJW » Wed May 23, 2018 5:05 pm

I really don't understand the mockery or derision some have expressed toward people who prefer to dress nicely/professionally for work or whatever else. It doesn't seem to be enough to simply say, "I prefer a different way." Rather, there has to be something wrong or dishonest about someone who chooses a different approach.

Afty
Posts: 806
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:31 pm

Re: How have you upgraded your wardrobe?

Post by Afty » Wed May 23, 2018 7:26 pm

LiterallyIronic wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 3:09 pm
Afty wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 1:19 pm
LiterallyIronic wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 11:16 am
Texanbybirth wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 10:06 am
Where are all these jobs that let you wear jeans? :confused I would love to wear my Wal-Mart Wranglers all day everyday. (I even sleep in them occasionally.)

Apparently I missed the Life mini-lotto...
Software development. All this talk of suits and "wear what your boss's boss wears" makes me laugh. My boss's boss is the CEO and he wears jeans, sneakers, and a polo shirt.
In software I’ve found it to actually be the opposite — if you dress too nicely, people don’t take you seriously.
That's not the opposite, that's the same thing that I'm saying. I was laughing at the notion of dressing up.
I was trying to make the point that we are no better than they are, we just have a different preferred dress code.

Good Listener
Posts: 598
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: How have you upgraded your wardrobe?

Post by Good Listener » Wed May 23, 2018 7:45 pm

Deleted
Last edited by Good Listener on Thu May 24, 2018 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
jabberwockOG
Posts: 1439
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 7:23 am

Re: How have you upgraded your wardrobe?

Post by jabberwockOG » Wed May 23, 2018 10:28 pm

Many years ago when the professional and executive workplace was a lot more formal, and I was just a young man starting out, my aunt who was the most elegant person I have ever met gave me some excellent advice for how to dress in that environment. She said simply that the best and most effective mode/style of dress for my profession was to wear clothes that allowed people to see and notice primarily me and not my outfit/jewelry/ accessories. Elegant clothes, at least back in the day when elegance still had some value, often go unnoticed which is mostly a good thing.

pomomojo
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:07 pm

Re: How have you upgraded your wardrobe?

Post by pomomojo » Fri May 25, 2018 10:38 pm

Why did you feel the urge to upgrade your wardrobe?

I'm a huge fan of dressing nicely. My own wardrobe choices are likely in the minority for this forum

FYI, PhilosophyAndrew
There are other brands that are aesthetically similar to Cucinelli, but much less expensive.
LBM 1911 and Boglioli both makes soft shoulder style Italian jackets for around $1-1.5k, which is considerably less than the $3-4k charged by Cucinelli. Alternatively, I think Luciano Barbera and Borrelli products have similar aesthetics and competitive pricing, with more hand detailing and arguably better fabrics.

Re: shoes
The underlying shape (lasting) and amount of arch support are the important factors which influence comfort for men's dress shoes. Most shoes retailing $400 will be reasonably well made. Stay away from cemented shoes which cannot be resoled. English and American shoes are generally easier to size since they routinely use lasts that are carried over from season to season (e.g. I own a pair of Edward Green purchased in 2002 with the same size and shape as a pair of boots that I bought in May 2018). Do not expect dress shoes to be more comfortable than athletic shoes. That being said, I can walk 8+ miles in NYC with my shoes and be fine at the end of the day.
Last edited by pomomojo on Sat May 26, 2018 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

randomguy
Posts: 6279
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:00 am

Re: How have you upgraded your wardrobe?

Post by randomguy » Fri May 25, 2018 11:27 pm

MJW wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 5:05 pm
I really don't understand the mockery or derision some have expressed toward people who prefer to dress nicely/professionally for work or whatever else. It doesn't seem to be enough to simply say, "I prefer a different way." Rather, there has to be something wrong or dishonest about someone who chooses a different approach.
Do you understand the mockery or derision that some people have expressed for people who prefer not to dress up in some uncomfortable outfit?:) It is the exact same thing where someone gets into trouble for not wearing the correct clothes for the job. Wearing a tie to type on a computer is the right atire at FANG type companies. Though if you do nobody really cares. They will rib you for a while asking where your interviewing and the like and then move on. Showing up to your probation hearing wearing a hoodie is equally bad though.

It should be noted that there is also a vast difference between causal/"professional" and upgraded clothes that look nice. Just because you are in a casual environment doesn't mean you need to wear the ill fitting jeans and the shirt with pizza stains. Maybe you get that $200/pair of jeans that fits well and you get a tshirt that is a bit higher than the quality that was handed out at the last convention you attended. And no that does't mean you have to buy something crazy trendy either.

User avatar
Go Blue 99
Posts: 828
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:42 pm

Re: How have you upgraded your wardrobe?

Post by Go Blue 99 » Sat May 26, 2018 7:53 am

I like higher quality clothing but only purchase them during big sales. Slickdeals will give you alerts when places like Brooks Brothers are having huge discounts. For the biggest deals though, you have to be comfortable shopping online.

Post Reply