Update: New iPhone - Older iPhone text msgs disappear

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
ResearchMed

Update: New iPhone - Older iPhone text msgs disappear

Post by ResearchMed »

My BlackBerry finally died, and DH has been encouraging me to "try an iPhone" and move into the modern era, etc.
(I *liked* the BB keyboard. A lot.)
So... we had Apple set up his older one with my phone number.

I'm slowly getting used to it, but I still prefer my old BB, although the model I had is no longer made.

However.... something is wrong with the text messages.
We cannot get the iPhone to "ding" when a txt msg arrives.
Apple cannot get this to work, either, and the Genius Bar (who have rescued DH's laptops from a variety of seemingly serious problems) says they've never seen this before not being able to work right.

Worse, it turns out that:

a) The content of ALL txt msgs disappears relatively soon after the message arrives. (I can't be sure when they arrive, as I must manually check to see IF there are any messages, given the problem above); and
b) The existence (i.e., sender info, etc.) of *some* but not all txt msgs also just ... vanishes.
There doesn't seem to be any pattern. Older ones seem to disappear, but some current ones vanish, which txt msgs that arrived just before and after are still there (without the content, however).

So, IF I don't *promptly* notice that a text message arrived and read it, I'll never know what it said, and I might also never know that it even arrived.

Any suggestions we can give to Apple from any guru's here on BH?

DH did *not* previously have this problem when he used the phone, which was a couple of years ago.
Otherwise, it "seems" to work fine; I just need to get used to being a BB dinosaur trying to adjust to Apple functionality, or lack thereof, per above.
If this txt msg problem can't be fixed, then I obviously cannot continue to [sort of] use it.
This episode has made me dislike iPhones even more (in addition to wanting the real BB keyboard). I've lost some special and critical text messages, including one with a precious photo. Yes, over-reaction. But I didn't want an iPhone; I wanted my old BB model back... :(

Thanks.

RM
Last edited by ResearchMed on Sun May 27, 2018 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
student

Re: Older iPhone text msgs disappear

Post by student »

The only thing I can think of is the keep message setting in Settings->General->Messages but I assume the people at Apple has already looked into it.
Topic Author
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

student wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 6:28 am The only thing I can think of is the keep message setting in Settings->General->Messages but I assume the people at Apple has already looked into it.
Yup. We already had that set "right".
It's a weird disappearing semi-pattern, regardless of that setting. That's especially perplexing.

Note: Although I'm brand new to iPhones/Apple, DH has been using them for years, so he should be relatively familiar with the settings, and he's never encountered this, not even with this exact physical phone, albeit a couple of years ago. It just sat, unusued, mostly untouched.
And of course, the Apple "Geniuses" (Genii?) should know how to get the settings right/double check that they are set right, etc.

I fear the iPhone is possessed by Computer Gremlins. And I just don't want to spend a fortune on another iPhone.
("I just want my old model of BB back!" :annoyed )

Thanks.
Any other thoughts, anyone?

RM
rkhusky

Post by rkhusky »

I presume you also Google'd the issue to see if anyone on the Internet has posted a similar experience? And I understand about liking a physical keyboard like the BB. I've mostly gotten used to the touchscreen, but sometimes it can be quite frustrating.
Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue »

ResearchMed wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 6:16 am
Apple cannot get this to work, either, and the Genius Bar (who have rescued DH's laptops from a variety of seemingly serious problems) says they've never seen this before not being able to work right.
Apple hardware, Apple software - Local Genius bar not being able to resolve this "never seen before issue" is not an acceptable answer and is a reflection of their level of Genius. They need to escalate this issue for resolution. I guarantee that it has happened before numerous times and they just need to find that answer further up at Apple.

Cheers
mmmodem

Post by mmmodem »

Since you are just starting off on iOS, might I suggest Google voice? The benefit of GV is that it is platform agnostic. I had a BB and moved to an iPhone 4s a few years ago. I was very confused when I moved to Android a couple years afterwards and did not receive all my text messages. The problem was that iMessage is a separate text message service operated by Apple only for iOS devices. In short, if you always had Apple, you're okay. If you have anything else, then messages from your friends on iOS are sent to iMessage and skip the standard SMS route. Result is text messages are lost. This doesn't apply to you as you are using an iPhone, so I don't know what happened for you. Maybe you had to reset your iOS account and lost the password and had to make a new account different than before?

I currently have an iPhone 8. All my text messages are forwarded to my free Google voice number by my provider. (Verizon and TMobile: one is a work number and the other is my personal cell phone). All text messages are received on my Google voice app on my iPhone. I deleted my old iOS account so no messages go the iMessage route. This part is important to not loses texts. I made a new iOS account with a new email address that no one knows.
paramedic

Post by paramedic »

I have come to believe that some versions of iOS may be storing text messages / iMessages on iCloud.

The reason for my suspicion is that often a conversation will load empty or with only half a screen of messages initially, then after several seconds (depending on the cellular or wifi connection speed) a prolonged older chat history will soon load.

This may relate to the explanation of the "lost" messages in some way.

Thoughts?
rcjchicity

Post by rcjchicity »

I'm not having as bad of an issue as OP, but my iPhone 5s has misbehaving text messages that started with one of the iOS updates last year.

With my issue, text messages - particularly from my husband - often, but not always, flash on the notification screen then disappear. However, unlike OP, they still exist in the text app. I have to unlock my phone periodically to see if any text messages are waiting for me (from an annoyed DH who is wondering why I'm not responding to his text :annoyed )

Scouring the Apple forums has revealed others having similar issues, but with no solution other than to get a newer phone. Planned obsolescence...
LiterallyIronic

Post by LiterallyIronic »

ResearchMed wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 6:16 am My BlackBerry finally died, and DH has been encouraging me to "try an iPhone" and move into the modern era, etc.
(I *liked* the BB keyboard. A lot.)
I hear you on that. I'm still holding onto my LG MyTouch Q because it has a physical keyboard. I tried a Blackberry Priv, but the keyboard comes out of the short side, so the keys are too close together. But my phone's dying too (most calls drop and I can't get reception half of the time (supposedly due to T-Mobile changing frequency bands over the years?), and battery goes from 100 to 0 in twenty minutes of use). I'm not looking forward to getting dragged into the future without phone keyboards - I always hit the wrong letters on on-screen keyboards and spend half the time backspacing.
csage

Post by csage »

Just an idea - see if there are any other computers/phones/etc that might be somehow receiving the text messages and marking them as read. Maybe your old blackberry is still connected to your phone number in some way for example.
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

Do you have iMessages on or off? I would try it the opposite of whatever you have been doing. I would also see if it makes a difference whether or not the sender is using iMessage.

Also, I agree with the person who suggested that the messages could still be tied to a second device. Did you ever use anything like VerizonMessages, etc?
ji.isaacs

Post by ji.isaacs »

How are your Notifications set up for Messages?

It seems you are allowing notifications.

Banners will show up and then disappear, Alerts will stay on the screen until action is taken. You can also set them to show on the Lock Screen.
This is how version 10.x.x works.

Version 11.x.x also gives the show on lock screen option, but the alert style notification options are different.

Show as Banners has two options, Temporary or Persistent. The latter demands an action and the Temporary banners appear but go away automatically.
OnceARunner

Post by OnceARunner »

csage wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 10:39 am Just an idea - see if there are any other computers/phones/etc that might be somehow receiving the text messages and marking them as read. Maybe your old blackberry is still connected to your phone number in some way for example.
This isn't a bad idea. Something may have gone wonky with the porting of of the number from the blackberry to the iPhone.
Topic Author
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

csage wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 10:39 am Just an idea - see if there are any other computers/phones/etc that might be somehow receiving the text messages and marking them as read. Maybe your old blackberry is still connected to your phone number in some way for example.
Katietsu wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 10:55 am Do you have iMessages on or off? I would try it the opposite of whatever you have been doing. I would also see if it makes a difference whether or not the sender is using iMessage.

Also, I agree with the person who suggested that the messages could still be tied to a second device. Did you ever use anything like VerizonMessages, etc?
The old BB is dead. Presumably recycled into assorted component materials, or en route to such a fate.
A special "recovery shop" had to work some magic to get the contact information off, but couldn't do a thing to get it to "work", and trust me, we begged. Tried to throw money at them... :wink:

How would I know whether a sender is using "iMessage"? I don't know what that is. I don't even know if *I* "have it".
I know that what I'm using is NOT "WhatsApp".
What I'm using just looks like "text messages", same as before (on BB), except for the magical disappearing acts...

I've never had any "other" devices that receive or send "text messages" other than the BB, or not that I've ever known about. Just regular email, on my laptop.

So probably *anything* like "iMessages" or "VerizonMessages"... the answer will be "no". I've never even heard of 'em.
(Remember, I'm a dinosaur 🍷 🍷 )

paramedic wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 9:22 am I have come to believe that some versions of iOS may be storing text messages / iMessages on iCloud.

The reason for my suspicion is that often a conversation will load empty or with only half a screen of messages initially, then after several seconds (depending on the cellular or wifi connection speed) a prolonged older chat history will soon load.

This may relate to the explanation of the "lost" messages in some way.

Thoughts?
Thanks.
How would I know/how could I check if the text messages are hiding in the cloud somewhere (iCloud or otherwise)?

Does this hypothesis "work" given the initial appearance (of at least some txt msgs) and then the disappearance of *all* content, but the disappearance of only *some* (most, but not all) of the contact info (with none of the actual msg)?

I did check online, and there might be some third party app that can "find" these messages?
I think I'll call that "rescue shop" (the one that rescued my BB contacts from the rusted skeleton or whatever) and see if they can help.
Apparently they don't charge unless they are successful. Never heard of that before, with repairs. Maybe that's only for certain types of "rescues" that they already know they'll find out fast IF they can do it?

RM
Topic Author
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

ji.isaacs wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 11:08 am How are your Notifications set up for Messages?

It seems you are allowing notifications.

Banners will show up and then disappear, Alerts will stay on the screen until action is taken. You can also set them to show on the Lock Screen.
This is how version 10.x.x works.

Version 11.x.x also gives the show on lock screen option, but the alert style notification options are different.

Show as Banners has two options, Temporary or Persistent. The latter demands an action and the Temporary banners appear but go away automatically.
I'm guessing it is "banners" that no longer appear at all, and that's what Apple Genii said they'd never seen it (that they couldn't make it work, anyway).
That was annoying enough. I needed to unlock the iPhone, go into txt msgs, to *see* IF there were any new ones.

And then... they started disappearing as described, but as far as I understand "banner", that doesn't have anything to do with the regular listing of the messages, or, er, what *should* be "the regular listing of the messages" (unless they are manually deleted", which is totally different than magical disappearing acts).

RM
Topic Author
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

By the way, thanks for ALL of the above.
We'll be returning to the Genius Bar, and I'll bring along a few of these comments to see if that jars some neurons anywhere...
:happy

RM
student

Post by student »

I wonder whether it is your phone alone or the server and the phone together is causing the problem. I am thinking it is not the phone along. One thing you can try is to "link" iMessaging system of your phone to your mac/ipad if you have one. Then you can see whether the messages disappear from your mac/ipad as well.
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

Seems like this type of problem has been occurring for a while now. You likely have a mischievous ghost living in your phone, likely a reflection of the previous owner.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5503256

More than once, Apple "geniuses" messed up settings on my phones. I won't let them touch things, other than restore phone to original condition. If I take something in for repair, I assume they'll destroy all the data (and at times they have).

BTW, text messages aren't stored anywhere permanently, so your precious photos shouldn't be kept there.

1) What model phone (starts with A... https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201296 )? Carrier (both original phone as well as your current)? What iOS version? (look in Settings/About) How much free memory do you have?

2) Did you setup as new phone and not restore from iTunes/iCloud? (assume so since you mentioned BB)

3) In your messages setup, do you receive text messages from your phone number and/or email address? Are these old or new accounts? Yours or others? Did you keep/port your phone number?

I assume they already tried restored "iphone restore phone to factory settings". Have they tried Deregister iMessage?
https://selfsolve.apple.com/deregister-imessage/
Topic Author
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

One odd pattern we just noticed, about initial notification that a text message arrived.

The FIRST incoming text message from X does NOT give any indication it arrived.
No ding.
No copy displaying (briefly or longer).
No little "number of messages waiting" showing.

However, IF there is a "conversation", then when X sends ANOTHER text message, then there is a "ding".
Still no display of any kind suggesting there are any such messages arriving (so if I wasn't right there, listening... too bad).
I'd need to unlock the phone, open up text messages, and see IF there is anything there new.
And of course, there might have been... but it might have disappeared, and I'll never know.

We tried this with messaging back and forth with DH.
We'll check later if the content or complete messages are still there.

RM
Topic Author
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

inbox788 wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 12:31 pm Seems like this type of problem has been occurring for a while now. You likely have a mischievous ghost living in your phone, likely a reflection of the previous owner.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5503256

More than once, Apple "geniuses" F*, Scr* messed up settings on my phones. I won't let them touch things, other than restore phone to original condition. If I take something in for repair, I assume they'll destroy all the data (and at times they have).

BTW, text messages aren't stored anywhere permanently, so your precious photos shouldn't be kept there.

1) What model phone (starts with A... https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201296 )? Carrier (both original phone as well as your current)? What iOS version? (look in Settings/About) How much free memory do you have?

2) Did you setup as new phone and not restore from iTunes/iCloud? (assume so since you mentioned BB)

3) In your messages setup, do you receive text messages from your phone number and/or email address? Are these old or new accounts? Yours or others? Did you keep/port your phone number?

I assume they already tried restored "iphone restore phone to factory settings". Have they tried Deregister iMessage?
https://selfsolve.apple.com/deregister-imessage/
Thanks.
That Apple Discussion was interesting.
None of the examples described seemed to quite match what I'm experiencing, but it might still be from the same/similar underlying Gremlin.

And I'll be sure to let DH know that he has been declared (by you) to be a "mischievous ghost living in your phone", or a reflection of one, or it a reflection of him.
:twisted:

RM
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

ResearchMed wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 12:43 pmThe FIRST incoming text message from X does NOT give any indication it arrived.
No ding.
No copy displaying (briefly or longer).
No little "number of messages waiting" showing.

However, IF there is a "conversation", then when X sends ANOTHER text message, then there is a "ding".
Still no display of any kind suggesting there are any such messages arriving (so if I wasn't right there, listening... too bad).
I'd need to unlock the phone, open up text messages, and see IF there is anything there new.
And of course, there might have been... but it might have disappeared, and I'll never know.
Some of this sounds like Notification options, but there's probably more weirdness going on than that. I can't think of a single problem that explains all the unexpected behavior, so you may be dealing with multiple issues.

http://smallbusiness.chron.com/ways-cha ... 47172.html

Are you sharing your appleID? Do you use a Mac or Apple Watch? Notifications going to another user or device could be what's muting your phone.
ft2010

Post by ft2010 »

When you first start using the used iphone, did you setup a new Apple ID, or are you inherting an existing acoount from your husband?
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

Go to settings. Scroll down to messages. Select. The first choice at the top is imessages. Use the button to turn off iMessages. Make a note at what other choices are on and off on that screen and report back here if you wish. The message icon on the iPhone accessed texts sent both as regular SMS texts and through the iMessage system. The only way you can tell is the color background of the text. (A message goes through the iMessage system if both you and the other party have iMessages turned on.)For now, I would suggest you just turn it off as described above.

What phone and what iOS version are you using?

(Also when you are in the main menu of settings- make sure that “do not disturb” is turned off.)
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

Katietsu wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 2:15 pm Go to settings. Scroll down to messages. Select. The first choice at the top is imessages. Use the button to turn off iMessages. Make a note at what other choices are on and off on that screen and report back here if you wish. The message icon on the iPhone accessed texts sent both as regular SMS texts and through the iMessage system. The only way you can tell is the color background of the text. (A message goes through the iMessage system if both you and the other party have iMessages turned on.)For now, I would suggest you just turn it off as described above.

What phone and what iOS version are you using?

(Also when you are in the main menu of settings- make sure that “do not disturb” is turned off.)
Great suggestion. I hadn't ever considered it, but if I understand it correctly, you'd still get/send SMS text via your phone number. Great way to see if the iMessages complications and corruptions are involved.

Yes, what phone? Old as in iPhone 3GS or iPhone 6/7? And it makes a difference if it's iOS 9 or 11. Texting has had different problems/bugs with each version that may have been fixed in later versions. Server/iMessage problems don't get fixed with iOS updates, but if there is an update available, it's worth considering.
Topic Author
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Thanks so much for all of these suggestions.

I'll have to ask DH about a few of these things.
Perhaps he IS the Gremlin after all :D

I know he's checked and re-checked the iPhone, *and* at least about the "lack of any notification" [but before we noticed about the "ding" with 2nd and subsequent arriving text messages within an ongoing conversation], the iPhone was back in the hands of the friendly local Genius Bar.
They have suggested that we bring it back and they'll keep it for a while.

I'll report back, initially if DH can address some of your questions/suggestions.

I'm very appreciative of all of the suggestions.
The Bogleheads community never fails to amaze!

Meanwhile, I've located what seems to be a truly "new" BlackBerry, but not quite the model I had. (That model is "available", but from possibly questionable sources. The BB ordered can be returned if I suddenly fall in love with the [recovered, healthy] iPhone...)
At this point, I really just want my BlackBerry! Or any BlackBerry.... :(

RM
PFInterest

Post by PFInterest »

ResearchMed wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 4:31 pm Thanks so much for all of these suggestions.

I know he's checked and re-checked the iPhone, *and* at least about the "lack of any notification" [but before we noticed about the "ding" with 2nd and subsequent arriving text messages within an ongoing conversation], the iPhone was back in the hands of the friendly local Genius Bar.

I'll report back, initially if DH can address some of your questions/suggestions.

Meanwhile, I've located what seems to be a truly "new" BlackBerry, but not quite the model I had. (That model is "available", but from possibly questionable sources. The BB ordered can be returned if I suddenly fall in love with the [recovered, healthy] iPhone...)

RM
cant believe you havent gotten a new phone yet...
Topic Author
ResearchMed

Update: New iPhone - Re: Older iPhone text msgs disappear

Post by ResearchMed »

PFInterest wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 10:23 am
ResearchMed wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 4:31 pm Thanks so much for all of these suggestions.

RM
You win the jackpot. :D

The Apple Genius Bar folks finally concluded that something was "corrupt" in this particular phone, after all.
[Duh! ]
They all huddled around, and they all seemed not to know about similar reports right there on the Internet...

Anyway, I've got a new phone, the least fancy iPhone available locally.
At least it's a really nice color :wink:
(I mean, what's important, after all, right?)

The BlackBerry that was ordered?
After being notified about when we'd receive it, it turned out it was "backordered" after all. :annoyed

I still miss my trusty little BB...
It served me well.

RM
student

Re: Update: New iPhone - Re: Older iPhone text msgs disappear

Post by student »

ResearchMed wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 5:29 pm
PFInterest wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 10:23 am

RM
You win the jackpot. :D

The Apple Genius Bar folks finally concluded that something was "corrupt" in this particular phone, after all.
[Duh! ]
They all huddled around, and they all seemed not to know about similar reports right there on the Internet...

The BlackBerry that was ordered?
After being notified about when we'd receive it, it turned out it was "backordered" after all. :annoyed

I still miss my trusty little BB...
It served me well.

RM
It is good that the problem is (or at least seems to be) resolved.
inbox788

Re: Update: New iPhone - Re: Older iPhone text msgs disappear

Post by inbox788 »

ResearchMed wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 5:29 pmThe Apple Genius Bar folks finally concluded that something was "corrupt" in this particular phone, after all.
[Duh! ]

Yeah, the "currupt" in the phone is called iOS 11. Just googled "ios message problems" and I get "About 1,630,000 results (0.51 seconds)"

There is a deeper conspiracy going on here that you haven't yet uncovered. First there was Antennagate, recently there was Batterygate, you've at the cusp of revealing Messagegate, yet another attempt by the evil empire to force you up upgrade your phone, and it worked again.

http://www.businessinsider.com/apple-ba ... ple-said-2

Did replacing the phone completely resolve your messaging problems?

Freefun

Re: Update: New iPhone - Older iPhone text msgs disappear

Post by Freefun »

Get ready for messages in iCloud (which they said last year)...

https://www.theverge.com/2018/5/29/1740 ... ne-feature
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?