Re: done with Gmail

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP » Sun May 20, 2018 8:45 pm

Is there a better, easier to recover email than Gmail (even if I have to pay).
Today was the last straw.
I know a lot of people love gmail; I just reached my end.
I don't like hotmail or outlook or yahoo.
Are there better ones, even if I have to pay.
To clear my Gmail it will take 3-5 days.
This happened once before and it was 10 days.
Should have dumped gmail back then.

Suggestions welcome.

ThriftyPhD

Post by ThriftyPhD » Sun May 20, 2018 8:47 pm

What does 'recover' or 'clear' mean. Hard to recommend alternatives without knowing what specifically with Gmail doesn't work for you.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sun May 20, 2018 8:52 pm

register.com will sell you an e-mail account.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

PFInterest

Post by PFInterest » Sun May 20, 2018 9:04 pm

gmail is literally the best personal email client.
if you are looking for something business oriented, then sure maybe theres something better.
i dont know what you mean about recover. i can literally search for my oldest email from a decade ago in a few seconds, a little more if you add my DNS ping.

Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue » Sun May 20, 2018 9:04 pm

ThriftyPhD wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 8:47 pm
What does 'recover' or 'clear' mean. Hard to recommend alternatives without knowing what specifically with Gmail doesn't work for you.
+1

Please explain what you mean. I have used Gmail for years without issue.

Cheers

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Sun May 20, 2018 9:09 pm

PFInterest wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 9:04 pm
gmail is literally the best personal email client.
Gmail is a client???
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

InterestingMoney

Post by InterestingMoney » Sun May 20, 2018 9:10 pm

You could try either Zoho Mail or Protonmail.

blueman457

Post by blueman457 » Sun May 20, 2018 9:11 pm

I use fastmail.com; company out of Australia that respects your privacy. No ads, about $40/year. Has a good calendar and contacts system.

Blue Man

mindboggling

Post by mindboggling » Sun May 20, 2018 9:13 pm

Fastmail here, too. No Problems. Also have gmail and use juno as a junk mail account.
In broken mathematics, We estimate our prize, --Emily Dickinson

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Sun May 20, 2018 9:15 pm

I have to guess what you mean because it was not very clear. But I find that using labels and periodically nuking everything with certain labels keeps my inbox manageable.

z3r0c00l

Post by z3r0c00l » Sun May 20, 2018 9:18 pm

Been using Gmail almost from its first day, have a dozen accounts and they all work well, now easy to run them all tabbed as needed. Almost unlimited storage, free, simple, what more does one want? I use outlook for work through MS Office 360. It has the power options we need at a large company.

Another question: what does this have to do with investing? Did you lose your account access due to lost password or something? Is it preventing you from investing activity?

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Sun May 20, 2018 9:31 pm

I also cannot understand what OP was having trouble with.

Personally, I rather hate using gmail from a web interface. I find it works like every other provider when set up in Thunderbird, which is how I use it.

Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP » Sun May 20, 2018 9:43 pm

I was changing passwords with keepass - when there was a crash.
Password took, but keepass doesn't have the password.
Trying to get it unlocked has been like being a Kafka novel.
Right now, they will be reviewing and decide in the next 5 days
whether I will get my email back (it''s locked).

Much of my financial alerts go to this email account.
So, I have to check every alert I get and setup on another email.

This should have been in personal finance.

blueman457

Post by blueman457 » Sun May 20, 2018 10:08 pm

Rob5TCP wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 9:43 pm

If that's your problem with Gmail, I don't think that's a bad thing. Although I thought gmail had sometime easier ways to unlock a forgotten password. Having tough security is usually a good thing.

PhilosophyAndrew

Post by PhilosophyAndrew » Sun May 20, 2018 10:12 pm

Rob5TCP wrote:

Is this an email problem or a password manager problem?

If the password manager you are using is unreliable, you should switch to another.

It sounds like Google is taking password security seriously, which is a good thing in general. I’m sorry that their recovery processs are Kafkaesque. Did you not have a recovery phone attached to your account so you could verify your identity through text messaging?

Andy.

Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP » Sun May 20, 2018 10:17 pm

My 2FA with google was a voice message to my home phone (I would change when going on vacation).
It attemps to send a text (rather than a voice message to my home phone). I am looking at alternatives
with 24/7 support.

Keepass was not at fault the system crashed. Gmail has no phone support (it is free;
though the cost is that we are the product, rather than the customer).

I've been thinking about getting away from gmail for awhile now. I no longer use chrome and have
switched search engines (duckduckgo).

This just gives me the impetus to switch off gmail.

ThriftyPhD

Post by ThriftyPhD » Sun May 20, 2018 10:57 pm

As others commented, it sounds like Google is doing the right thing. You changed your password, and now you don't know it. If someone contacted Google claiming to be me but not knowing the password, I wouldn't want them to just unlock the account.

As for Keepass, I've never used it but I do use a password manager. Never had a problem like you described. However, I always change the password in my password manager, and THEN change it in whatever website I'm using. That being said, I rarely change passwords because with 50+ character random strings, unique to each site, there isn't much need to change them frequently. And I would hope that if it got far enough along to create the password, it would save it before copying it into the fill form.

If your system is crashing (I assume Windows?) I would address that. Your OS shouldn't be crashing.

But none of this is specific to Gmail. If you want to leave for other reasons, that's your choice, but the specific reasons would influence any recommendation on where to go.

billthecat

Post by billthecat » Sun May 20, 2018 11:05 pm

ThriftyPhD wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 10:57 pm
If your system is crashing (I assume Windows?)...
LOL
Last edited by billthecat on Sun May 20, 2018 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

harrychan

Post by harrychan » Sun May 20, 2018 11:10 pm

Rob5TCP wrote:
Sounds like Gmail is doing it's job to ensure security. Your problem could've been easily resolved if you had a backup number or email. If you lost connectivity before you validated the "unknown" password from keepass, that's not an issue unique to Gmail. Sorry but sounds like user error.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.

AlohaJoe

Post by AlohaJoe » Sun May 20, 2018 11:22 pm

Rob5TCP wrote:
You will have the same issue with any email provider that you pay money for, if not worse. If you did this with Protonmail you would have lost all of your mail forever.

Bongleur

Post by Bongleur » Sun May 20, 2018 11:33 pm

You should be using a POP account so all the emails are copied onto your personal hard drive as they are received.

I have every email I saved dating back to using vi and pine (Unix email systems) from the ... late 1980's, I think. Certainly by 1990s.
Only problem is most are in the email app Eudora, and it won't run on anything anymore. I transferred most to Thunderbird, but the indexing is munged up.

I do have the raw "flat files" though, just no technical skill to write something that would separate it into individual files for each email.
Seeking Iso-Elasticity. | Tax Loss Harvesting is an Asset Class. | A well-planned presentation creates a sense of urgency. If the prospect fails to act now, he will risk a loss of some sort.

gotester2000

Post by gotester2000 » Mon May 21, 2018 12:00 am

I do not think that is the system issue - rather its a user issue and that is how security should work.

I have an opposite issue with gmail which I am miffed about and curious if anybody has faced it.

I have an account xyz@gmail.com. I think I receive mails meant for xyz/x.y.z/x.yz/xy.z@gmail.com

Is my account hacked - anybody facing this?

ThriftyPhD

Post by ThriftyPhD » Mon May 21, 2018 12:07 am

gotester2000 wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 12:00 am
I have an opposite issue with gmail which I am miffed about and curious if anybody has faced it.

I have an account xyz@gmail.com. I think I receive mails meant for xyz/x.y.z/x.yz/xy.z@gmail.com

Gmail will ignore periods. xyz, x.y.z, x.yz, and xy.z all resolve to xyz@gmail.com.

There is also the +, where the + and everything after it is ignored. So xyz+bogleheads@gmail.com will show up in your account too. Handy when signing up for things, you can see if they sell your address to others (though most are savvy enough to strip off the +whatever).

gotester2000

Post by gotester2000 » Mon May 21, 2018 12:12 am

ThriftyPhD wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 12:07 am
gotester2000 wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 12:00 am

Gmail will ignore periods. xyz, x.y.z, x.yz, and xy.z all resolve to xyz@gmail.com.

There is also the +, where the + and everything after it is ignored. So xyz+bogleheads@gmail.com will show up in your account too. Handy when signing up for things, you can see if they sell your address to others (though most are savvy enough to strip off the +whatever).
The puzzling thing is the recipient email address I see in these cases is also xyz@gmail.com but it is delivered to me - so I am guessing that it was meant for somebody like xy.z@gmail.com . These are mainly facebook alerts and a few other mails - I am not sure what to do about this?

SittingOnTheFence

Post by SittingOnTheFence » Mon May 21, 2018 12:30 am

I don't know if the syntax implemented for the email host at gmail is a good thing or not.

Only last night I was trying to change my Reddit email from Yahoo (dropping them due to new Terms of Service) to my gmail acct. Well, someone apparently is trying to use my gmail host name and Reddit says it is already in use. Reddit does not seem to have a live person nor contact address that accepts free form comments (quite annoying) in order for me to request they fix this. But this Google syntax oddity to the rescue! I added a '.' and they accepted it. Now I get notifications to my gmail acct from Reddit. The person using my addr will never get any notifications.

There is a guy in the UK who tries to use my email (xyz@gmail.com) but since I use that he then tries x.yz or xy.z
Google strips the '.' so when this guy gives out an address for correspondence (x.yz or varient) the original xyz acct (me) gets all of it.

In my case, the addr has been given for notifications of hotels, cars, resorts, restaurants, & a bank. Currently, if there is an unsubscribe link I use that (something that I would otherwise avoid doing but in this case I recognize what is happening). So far that has worked. When it no longer does I will flag the email as spam instead.

Prior to the UK incident, there was a lady in Savannah who was trying the same thing. Finally I got an email that had a reply-to and I wrote them and explained the problem. The Savannah lady disappeared after that.

Bottom line is you are not being hacked, at least not in this case.

ThriftyPhD

Post by ThriftyPhD » Mon May 21, 2018 12:34 am

Is it a common/simple account (like xyz :D )? If so, you might be getting spam from people signing up for fake or throwaway accounts. Many websites ask for an email to create an account before you can get access to the site. If someone just entered something for a throw away account (john.smith@gmail.com), whoever was unlucky enough to have that account would get the spam.

I have a fairly uncommon email, and I've still had some spam like that. Worst are the sites that don't verify the email address, and just start spamming you over and over about your new account. Legit sites, just someone signing up randomly with my email address.

lotusflower

Post by lotusflower » Mon May 21, 2018 12:53 am

If you want to be ultra-safe with Keepass, you can always cut and paste the old password into the Notes area before generating a new password, and then save Keepass with both passwords before changing the password on whatever site you are using (e.g. Gmail). I don't do that for every site but I have done that for mission-critical sites.

P.S. Gmail rocks even though their bot knows your business.

Afty

Post by Afty » Mon May 21, 2018 1:06 am

lotusflower wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 12:53 am
If you want to be ultra-safe with Keepass, you can always cut and paste the old password into the Notes area before generating a new password, and then save Keepass with both passwords before changing the password on whatever site you are using (e.g. Gmail). I don't do that for every site but I have done that for mission-critical sites.
No need to do this. Keepass keeps a history of old passwords under the history tab.

slim

Post by slim » Mon May 21, 2018 1:15 am

Sounds like what you want is really just being able to reach a human being for support purposes should issues arise.

For this you will need to pay. I ditched gmail long ago but I suspect that if you paid for a business account you would have someone to contact.

That said, there are many paid email providers out there that you can migrate to whose core or entire business is just that: email. In the end, like most things, you get what you pay for and will have to add a little extra on top for support.

gotester2000

Post by gotester2000 » Mon May 21, 2018 1:28 am

Thanks for the replies. It is a combination of initials which are neither common nor rare. Currently I just mark these mails as spam and ignore them - I dont unsubscribe as that is a sure way of getting in spam email lists and get more junk.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Mon May 21, 2018 2:45 am

Does any of this work? https://m.wikihow.com/Contact-Google

Did you setup a recovery phone number or email? https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/183723?hl=en

Sounds like you lost your password and are having trouble with their recovery system. If they ask you for previous passwords, it might be hard to recover or remember older passwords, particularly random computer generated ones, another complication of password managers. I held off using them when I forgot the master password when I was testing the password programs.

Security is getting so good, it’s keeping you out.

prudent

Post by prudent » Mon May 21, 2018 5:14 am

Topic moved to Personal Consumer Issues.

student

Post by student » Mon May 21, 2018 5:27 am

SittingOnTheFence wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 12:30 am
There is a guy in the UK who tries to use my email (xyz@gmail.com) but since I use that he then tries x.yz or xy.z
Google strips the '.' so when this guy gives out an address for correspondence (x.yz or varient) the original xyz acct (me) gets all of it.
Since Gmail treats xyz is the same as x.yz, I don't think Gmail will allow someone to setup a new account with x.yz. Maybe the person mistyped it.

student

Post by student » Mon May 21, 2018 5:28 am

ThriftyPhD wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 12:34 am
Is it a common/simple account (like xyz :D )? If so, you might be getting spam from people signing up for fake or throwaway accounts. Many websites ask for an email to create an account before you can get access to the site. If someone just entered something for a throw away account (john.smith@gmail.com), whoever was unlucky enough to have that account would get the spam.

I have a fairly uncommon email, and I've still had some spam like that. Worst are the sites that don't verify the email address, and just start spamming you over and over about your new account. Legit sites, just someone signing up randomly with my email address.
+1.

TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy » Mon May 21, 2018 6:02 am

fastmail is what I have used for several years now. It is flawless, I miss some of the more advanced search options I had in gmail. But otherwise, its pretty good.

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Mon May 21, 2018 6:21 am

Rob5TCP wrote:

I don't know if this happens for everyone, but I assume it does. When I set up my gmail account, they give you a bunch of codes (10 I think) to use to restore your account if you ever get locked out. Did you try one of these codes?

edit: Thinking back, I think this was for Chrome. Not sure if it would help in this case?
Last edited by munemaker on Mon May 21, 2018 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Mon May 21, 2018 6:30 am

Rob5TCP wrote:

This could happen with any password-protected email and crashing keepass.
It has nothing to do with Gmail.

c.coyle

Post by c.coyle » Mon May 21, 2018 6:31 am

I second the up-thread recommendation of Proton Mail. Web-based, easy to configure, and, by all appearances, very secure. It also has traditional filter-to-folders capabiity if that's what you like. Gmail's label system is not my cup of tea.

aqan

Post by aqan » Mon May 21, 2018 6:48 am

Rob5TCP wrote:

crash??? what crashed? the browser? seems more like a keepass issue to me.

carguyny

Post by carguyny » Mon May 21, 2018 6:50 am

c.coyle wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 6:31 am
I second the up-thread recommendation of Proton Mail. Web-based, easy to configure, and, by all appearances, very secure. It also has traditional filter-to-folders capabiity if that's what you like. Gmail's label system is not my cup of tea.
Except protonmail will not allow a password reset without deleting all prior emails. Changes are OK, but in this situation even with the printed reset key they would all be deleted on the account being restored.

mptfan

Post by mptfan » Mon May 21, 2018 7:39 am

This doesn't sound like a Gmail problem, it sounds like they are doing the right thing. If someone contacted Gmail and claimed to be me and said they "forgot" the password, I would hope Gmail would not say "Here you go, here is the password, sorry for the inconvenience." If I found out it was that easy for someone to get my password, I would be concerned and that would be a reason for me not to use Gmail.

wander

Post by wander » Mon May 21, 2018 7:51 am

It sounds like a user's problem. I have been using Gmail from the day its Email came out and never had to contact them for Email recovery.

Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP » Mon May 21, 2018 8:09 am

aqan wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 6:48 am
Rob5TCP wrote:

crash??? what crashed? the browser? seems more like a keepass issue to me.
The computer crashed -- when the reboot occurred is when the problem began.

Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP » Mon May 21, 2018 8:37 am

My main issue with Gmail now is the 3-5 days before they will address the problem.
A paid email, with good service should resolve in hours.
The privacy with gmail has bothered me for awhile.
This just made leaving gmail a priority.

mptfan

Post by mptfan » Mon May 21, 2018 8:44 am

Rob5TCP wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 8:37 am
My main issue with Gmail now is the 3-5 days before they will address the problem.
Ok, I can understand this frustration, but Gmail is a free service, so it's not reasonable to expect the same instant customer service as you might if you were paying for the service. And I'm not sure your expectation about instant customer service would be met with a paid email service.

This is why I take extra precautions with my Gmail access, like using 2FA, and printing out and keeping my backup codes in a safe place, and keeping my recovery options up to date, and keeping my password secure, and not using a third party service like Keepass to enter my password.
Last edited by mptfan on Mon May 21, 2018 9:39 am, edited 3 times in total.

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Mon May 21, 2018 8:48 am

Rob5TCP wrote:
This is certainly something you'll want to check into as you explore paid services.
I'm not sure I'd just assume that because it's paid, it "should" resolve so quickly.
I don't think I understand this. Does this mean you are looking for a less secure/private email service? Or you want something that is "more private" than Gmail?

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Mon May 21, 2018 9:00 am

Rob5TCP wrote:
Paid email isn't exactly a good business model these days. I don't know why you would expect some kind of white glove treatment just because you pay money anyway. The VAST majority of people who use Gmail have zero significant issues with the many different ways you can recover a google password so maybe its time to look at yourself and how you use gmail vs blaming them for their speed in resolving how you use an unaffiliated program with their email service.

Gadget

Post by Gadget » Mon May 21, 2018 9:05 am

This is a KeePass issue. Not sure why you're blaming Gmail.

All password managers have an automatic password change feature. And they should all keep a history of every automatically generated password. Even if you just hit generate a random password, then your browser crashed. This is what LastPass does anyway. If KeePass will generate a random password and not save it anywhere until it is done with a complete automated website password reset script, then that sounds like a KeePass bug that needs to be addressed. Although I am not entirely convinced that KeePass didn't save the password in a staging area for you anyway and you just haven't found it yet because it didn't update the website password prior to the crash. In LastPass, this would be in an area called randomly generated passwords or something.

Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth » Mon May 21, 2018 9:07 am

I can't help with getting off of Gmail (I like it), but your post did remind me to print off my recovery codes for my account. So thank you for that.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Mon May 21, 2018 9:08 am

JoeRetire wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 8:48 am
Rob5TCP wrote:
This is certainly something you'll want to check into as you explore paid services.
I'm not sure I'd just assume that because it's paid, it "should" resolve so quickly.
+1 We had a paid email service for a company I used to be part owner and sometimes it took us weeks to solve problems using their support. At least with gmail, if I am having a problem all I have to do is search up the answer using the internet because someone else has already had the same problem and posted the work around.