Coachella concert

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
A-Commoner

Coachella concert

Post by A-Commoner » Sun May 20, 2018 6:49 pm

We missed this year’s concert but will try to go next year. Would
like to hear input from those of you who have attended this. When is the best time to buy tickets; where did you stay; how many days were you there for etc. basically, your observations on your experience, what to do and not do.

Musically we can still appreciate the bands that have played there the last few years even though we are in our early 50s. I have no problem with Lady Gaga, Eminem, Beyoncé (some examples of the acts that have performed in the last couple of years).

A fellow physician has attended Burning Man 3 straight years. He keeps inviting me to go. It’s too far away and remote in my opinion but Coachella is doable.

ArmchairArchitect

Re: Coachella concert

Post by ArmchairArchitect » Sun May 20, 2018 6:52 pm

Coachella is well past it's prime/jumped the shark, they used to have good acts but no more, they lost credibility by having all the commercial "musicians". I'd recommend finding a better festival.

A-Commoner

Post by A-Commoner » Sun May 20, 2018 6:59 pm

Really? Have you attended one before? What did you like about it that you think has been missing lately? BTW, Coachella 2018 had good reviews.

Trism

Post by Trism » Sun May 20, 2018 7:00 pm

I hate it when these events start having bands that people want to see.

Beach

Post by Beach » Mon May 21, 2018 3:20 pm

The Wal-Mart Yodeling kid made it so it must have totally been awesome this year :beer

http://www.thefader.com/2018/04/13/yode ... -coachella

SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy » Mon May 21, 2018 3:29 pm

Reserve hotel rooms now with free cancellation. I stayed at the Best Western. Prepare to pay big $$. Have they announced dates yet (not to mention artists)? At least it's two weekends now. Since you are older skewing, pay up for the VIP tix. Take a bandana or surgical mask- the dust is horrendous. Quite frankly I'd rather see acts play full sets at more manageable venues rather than truncated sets for tourists in the middle of the desert.
Last edited by SrGrumpy on Mon May 21, 2018 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by 123 » Mon May 21, 2018 3:46 pm

How about the August 2018 Outside Lands event in San Francisco? https://www.sfoutsidelands.com/lineup/#/

Lots of hotels in the city, take a city bus to the event, and little chance that it will get above 80 degrees.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy » Mon May 21, 2018 4:08 pm

Or Arroyo Seco (Pasadena) in June ... https://www.arroyosecoweekend.com/ (Neil Young, Jack White, Pretenders, Kings of Leon, Robert Plant, etc)

Carefreeap

Post by Carefreeap » Mon May 21, 2018 5:29 pm

SrGrumpy wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 3:29 pm
Reserve hotel rooms now with free cancellation. I stayed at the Best Western. Prepare to pay big $$. Have they announced dates yet (not to mention artists)? At least it's two weekends now. Since you are older skewing, pay up for the VIP tix. Take a bandana or surgical mask- the dust is horrendous. Quite frankly I'd rather see acts play full sets at more manageable venues rather than truncated sets for tourists in the middle of the desert.
Lol, our friends call it "Old" chella. They seem to love it and come back every year. We still haven't been despite the fact our cabin in the mountains is only about an hour away. Timing has never worked out for us.