Home Depot's Life Proof Rigid Core Vinyl Flooring

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
NJGAEL

Home Depot's Life Proof Rigid Core Vinyl Flooring

Post by NJGAEL » Sun May 20, 2018 4:55 pm

Looking for new floor (over cement) for a cold basement. Life Proof seems to fit the bill but I am hesitant to purchase flooring from Home Depot. I am probably even more skeptical about Home Depot installers and I don't know of any installers myself. Anyone have any first hand experience?

Ruger

Re: Home Depot's Life Proof Rigid Core Vinyl Flooring

Post by Ruger » Sun May 20, 2018 5:10 pm

I've purchased sheet vinyl and plank vinyl flooring from HD and not had problems with it. However, I installed in my self so can't give you any feedback on their installers. However, I have had appliances installed via HD when I purchased them there and was happy with the service. I would hope HD would stand behind their installers.

Ged

Post by Ged » Sun May 20, 2018 5:52 pm

Home Depot installers are independent contractors that have been recruited by Home Depot to do this work. YMMV.

TxAg

Post by TxAg » Sun May 20, 2018 5:57 pm

Ged wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 5:52 pm
Home Depot installers are independent contractors that have been recruited by Home Depot to do this work. YMMV.
Correct. Steer clear.

They are usually the lowest quality. A lady down the street had them redo the same job 3 times...just one example.

stuper1

Post by stuper1 » Sun May 20, 2018 6:08 pm

I had some sheet vinyl installed by a Home Depot installer recently, and the workmanship seemed fine. It's not rocket science. However, the guy that actually did it had 30 years' experience. Probably some of their installers are not that experienced.

2comma

Post by 2comma » Sun May 20, 2018 9:54 pm

I've never used HD installers but from the tile experts forum I've frequented for years the good ones say they have more work than they can take on so why give HD a cut of their profit. On the other hand the company I use for garage door installations, very good, said they do all of the HD installs in the area. Maybe it depends on the trade?
If I am stupid I will pay.

e5116

Post by e5116 » Sun May 20, 2018 10:49 pm

I got Lifeproof plank vinyl from HD put in my basement over concrete last year. Like it so far and would recommend it. Looks pretty nice, waterproof, and easy to work with. I didn’t use HD's installation services as had contractors doing other work put it in and they did so pretty easily. Note that not all the LifeProof offerings are the same quality. I'd recommend the ones with a larger wear thickness. Also, shipping took a crazy long time for me so unfortunately I had to go to the store to buy a different color that was in stock while I was waiting for the one I originally wanted to arrive, but such is life....Then, returned what I originally ordered for a refund.

Only very minor complaint is that it would be even nicer if they had more variations of the wood grain prints to simulate real wood even better. I think it repeats the same four patterns which isn't terrible, but to discerning buyers would be nicer if they increased that to six as that provides a lot more combinations of how you can lay it down. When walking on it, it certainly doesn't compare to real solid hardwood, but is much warmer than the concrete (and you wouldn't want hardwood in a basement anyways). Seems to be pretty durable but I've only had it for like five months. I did some scratch testing on samples and certain colors showed better than others. Not the scratch resistance of hardwood, but you're getting waterproof vinyl. And I bought extra so can always replace planks if needed fairly easily. (Installation is just cutting and snapping. Floating floors with no glue basically).