Door Dash: Has anyone used?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
AtlasShrugged?

Door Dash: Has anyone used?

Post by AtlasShrugged? »

My eldest son (launched from nest 1.5 years ago) was talking to me on the phone recently. He mentioned an app called 'Door Dash'. Basically, from what I gather, it is a glorified food delivery service. In his case, he had Cheesecake Factory food delivered to his apartment. He was doing some heavy duty coding and did not want to 'get out of the zone' (anyone who writes code will understand that phrase and its meaning). Door Dash has finally made it to my part of the country....and I am getting tempted. :happy

I have downloaded the app, but before I try it, I figure I will ask the group of people near and dear to my heart: The Bogleheads. Is it worth using? Was the time estimate they provided correct? Or is this more of a novelty? You do it once, and then feel guilty you blew the money. :oops:
“If you don't know, the thing to do is not to get scared, but to learn.”
squirm

Re: Door Dash: Has anyone used?

Post by squirm »

I have some family members that get meals delivered to them. They enjoy it, however I think in reality they just like packages showing up on their doorsteps. As my friend says, it's like Santa comes and makes good delivery.

I agree it's glorified, but I've never used that particular service.
Bungo

Post by Bungo »

My wife and I use it fairly often. Not sure I understand the "glorified" adjective. It is a food delivery service, period. It has a significantly better selection of restaurants than the alternatives that I'm aware of (Uber Eats and Amazon). It's quite overpriced compared with the competition (and also compared with the restaurants' own delivery service, when they have one) but certainly convenient.

Time estimates are usually pretty close. Occasionally you get a flaky delivery guy who doesn't show up at all, even though the food is listed as delivered. Presumably in these cases the guy stole the food. DoorDash has always apologized and given me a refund when that has happened. Can be annoying if the restaurant closes in the meantime, so a reorder is not possible.
mega317

Post by mega317 »

My wife has started using it when I'm not home. Delivery has been on time and pricing transparent. Not really much to think about with this one.

Edit for typos
Last edited by mega317 on Sun May 20, 2018 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6212
mak17f

Post by mak17f »

We have been using it for a few months. Compared to other services, the selection of restaurants is great. The extra costs include service fee and delivery fee, usually a few bucks. They go up during busy times. I think in most cases the menu prices are the same as at a restaurant. If you buy a Doordash monthly pass for $10, the service and delivery fees are waived. Essentially, you only pay a tip to a dasher. I think it's a great service, especially for busy families. I like the app itself, it's easy to navigate and track your order.
rosylenm

Post by rosylenm »

I used it once while traveling, but likely would not use the service again. It cost more than twice as much to use the service than to pick food up ourselves. The only reason I know this is because the delivery person left the receipt in the bag. Order totaled $46 on Door Dash receipt I received via email; food ordered and and picked up by Door Dash at restaurant cost $22 and change. And the menu items on Door Dash don’t always match menu items in restaurant (delivery person ordered different item for me than what was listed on Door Dash menu because Door Dash menu item was not available at restaurant).

Great for convenience, terrible for your wallet.
Trism

Post by Trism »

Have you ever had a pizza delivered? It works just like that, only you can get more than pizza.
Bungo

Post by Bungo »

mak17f wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 5:20 pm If you buy a Doordash monthly pass for $10, the service and delivery fees are waived. Essentially, you only pay a tip to a dasher.
How do you buy a monthly pass? This is the first I've heard of it. Can't find any reference to it on their website.
LarryAllen

Post by LarryAllen »

We use DD and other identical services (different restaurants) quite often. It's really great. Tons of restaurant, timely delivery, reasonable service fee, and friendly people.
Loik098

Post by Loik098 »

We use it. Good service, and I enjoy the fact that we just have food handed to us at the door without any need to pay or sign for something.

I will say there have been a few times when a favorite menu item made by a particular restaurant will disappear from Door Dash's online menu, even though we've ordered it before through Door Dash and the item is still made by the restaurant (example: a favorite soup from a restaurant is no longer available to order, but chili is...??) We can't figure out the rationale behind these changes when they happen, but it can be annoying when you've got a craving. This is happened to us at least 2-3 times over the past year.
mak17f

Post by mak17f »

Bungo wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 8:57 pm
mak17f wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 5:20 pm If you buy a Doordash monthly pass for $10, the service and delivery fees are waived. Essentially, you only pay a tip to a dasher.
How do you buy a monthly pass? This is the first I've heard of it. Can't find any reference to it on their website.
I use an app ( Android phone) and if you click on the menu icon in the top left corner, one of the options is DashPass.
capitalG

Post by capitalG »

It generally works as promised but note that in many cases the restaurant is not involved in the process (i.e. Doordash just orders/picks up the food like any other patron) and sometimes restaurants do not like working with them (they actively chose not to deliver and don’t want someone else to then do it). Ultimately, it’s just a matter of what your time is worth - I don’t like paying delivery fees so I usually pick up takeout myself, but services like this have gotten out of a pinch a few times.
CRC301

Post by CRC301 »

We've used it a few times. It has been frustrating though: we've tried to use it with coupons or offers of no delivery charges. They quote they will remove the delivery charge at checkout but it never does. The coupons/offers seems bogus and deceptive; you go through all the effort of picking out the food and then get to the end and the coupon/offer isn't applied :annoyed . Further anytime you have to do any customization's for the order they almost always get it wrong.

It certainly was convenient but we've found that the headache and the extra cost isn't worth it. Pizza delivery guy tip is like $4-5; Door Dash delivery always end up being more than $10 for us.
NorCalDad

Post by NorCalDad »

I've used it when I can't get away from the office. I can't justify the extra cost on a regular basis, but it's been helpful in a pinch.
takeshi

Post by takeshi »

AtlasShrugged? wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 1:05 pmIs it worth using? Was the time estimate they provided correct? Or is this more of a novelty? You do it once, and then feel guilty you blew the money.
Worth, novelty and all that is subjective. I've used a number of different delivery services at times when we don't feel like leaving the house but there's nothing to eat at home. Door Dash doesn't really stand out significantly better or worse from the rest of the pack based on what I can recall off the top of my head. It's not my go-to option but try it for yourself and see -- especially if you have a discount code.