My daughter got a nose pierce! I am not happy.

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
SoonerSunDevil

Post by SoonerSunDevil »

tommy_gunn wrote:To say this as nice as possible, yes please, do not ever move here. CA, and San Diego specifically, has enough dingle head out of state transfers already. Clogging our streets, bars, housing, etc. Half the time I feel like I am in New York, or Boston, or Chicago. Not pleasurable in the least. If people don't realize the CA way of life, and how it differs from the East Coast, move back home, please.
There's an old joke that when many Oklahomans left Okla for the CA gold rush that it increased the IQ of both states :wink:

I'll say this, the whole piercing/tattoo thing is definitely more accepted in liberal parts of the country while the more conservative states tend to shun such things. Obviously there are exceptions, but I've seen 10X as many tattoos since being in AZ than when I was in Texas or Oklahoma. Funny thing is, most of the people with the body mods are from California or Oregon. Go figure :)
mlebuf

Post by mlebuf »

SoonerSunDevil wrote: I'll say this, the whole piercing/tattoo thing is definitely more accepted in liberal parts of the country while the more conservative states tend to shun such things. Obviously there are exceptions, but I've seen 10X as many tattoos since being in AZ than when I was in Texas or Oklahoma. Funny thing is, most of the people with the body mods are from California or Oregon. Go figure :)
Arizona isn't California, but we are being californicated. About 1 in 3 new residents of AZ come from CA.

Best wishes,
Michael
Best wishes, | Michael | | Invest your time actively and your money passively.
gunn_show

Post by gunn_show »

SoonerSunDevil wrote:
tommy_gunn wrote:To say this as nice as possible, yes please, do not ever move here. CA, and San Diego specifically, has enough dingle head out of state transfers already. Clogging our streets, bars, housing, etc. Half the time I feel like I am in New York, or Boston, or Chicago. Not pleasurable in the least. If people don't realize the CA way of life, and how it differs from the East Coast, move back home, please.
There's an old joke that when many Oklahomans left Okla for the CA gold rush that it increased the IQ of both states :wink:
Suffice to say that must be an old joke, and one only told inside the borders of OK.

I would love to compare the IQ, job market, earning potential, median income, etc of San Diego, Los Angeles, San Jose, San Fran, to any large markets in OK. Would be fun I am sure.

I know we are joking along here, but man you must live in a bubble in OK, by the tone of all your posts thus far in this thread. I know many CEO's in this town with tattoos, small, large, half or full sleeve's, and they are no different than anyone else, except a few drive Bentley's and Aston Martins 8)
"The best life hack of all is to just put the work in and never give up." Bas Rutten
SoonerSunDevil

Post by SoonerSunDevil »

tommy_gunn wrote:
SoonerSunDevil wrote:
Suffice to say that must be an old joke, and one only told inside the borders of OK.

I would love to compare the IQ, job market, earning potential, median income, etc of San Diego, Los Angeles, San Jose, San Fran, to any large markets in OK. Would be fun I am sure.

I know we are joking along here, but man you must live in a bubble in OK, by the tone of all your posts thus far in this thread. I know many CEO's in this town with tattoos, small, large, half or full sleeve's, and they are no different than anyone else, except a few drive Bentley's and Aston Martins 8)
Sure, let's also compare air quality, commute times, real estate prices, crime rates, and illegal immigration numbers. That would be so much fun, too!!!
schellhase

Re: Nice comments, Marie!

Post by schellhase »

PaPaw wrote:
Sam I Am wrote:
Two daughters have tattoos, one has her navel pierced, and all three have at least two piercings in each ear. Two have public sector jobs.
Is a public sector job anything like a nose job or boob job? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Is there a loop hole in your signature quote (below) for public sector employees and folks who have chosen to decorate their body in a manner you do not approve of? : "Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle. Live simply, Love generously, Care deeply, Speak kindly......Leave the rest to God."
Boris

Post by Boris »

sscritic wrote:While I think you are overreacting, you might want to suggest to her that there are still financial ramifications to her behavior. Tell her you aren't planning to die broke since you read bogleheads.org every day.
That's a great idea, make your relationship with your kids about money. Holding something over their heads isn't a way to influence kids. Talking usually works much better. The more you push someone to conform the more they'll resist. Live and let live. Create a relationship with your kids that promotes communication. Forcing them to do something just means there's one more thing in their life that they won't be sharing with you.

Kids aren't animals, don't hold a trick to their face and force them to sit.

Boris
Short term moves in the market are like "a tale Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, Signifying nothing." | - John C. Bogle quoting Shakespeare
PaPaw

Post by PaPaw »

schellhase wrote:
PaPaw wrote:
Sam I Am wrote:
Two daughters have tattoos, one has her navel pierced, and all three have at least two piercings in each ear. Two have public sector jobs.
Is a public sector job anything like a nose job or boob job? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Is there a loop hole in your signature quote (below) for public sector employees and folks who have chosen to decorate their body in a manner you do not approve of? : "Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle. Live simply, Love generously, Care deeply, Speak kindly......Leave the rest to God."
I'm not sure I understand your question. Did you read my original response to the OP where I said I thought the only person one has the right to try to fix is ones self? I certainly did not intend any disrespect to anyone with second response which you quoted ... I just thought it was funny ... but I guess beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. I must have hit a nerve or two like SoonerSunDevil did; those of you in the more liberal parts of our country seem a bit sensitive on the "I don't like my body the way it was made so I'll decorate it" issue.
danwalk

Post by danwalk »

I do wonder where the OP ran off to. It is so strange when one posts what seems to be a real question, receives over 100 responses, and never returns...

RooseveltG, what do you think of this thread you started?
Image | "Time is your friend; impulse is your enemy."—Jack Bogle
NYCPete

Post by NYCPete »

PaPaw wrote:I must have hit a nerve or two like SoonerSunDevil did; those of you in the more liberal parts of our country seem a bit sensitive on the "I don't like my body the way it was made so I'll decorate it" issue.
Since when does a piercing say that someone doesn't like their body? :roll:
To the extent that a fool knows his foolishness, | He may be deemed wise | A fool who considers himself wise | Is indeed a fool. | | Buddha
Sam I Am

Post by Sam I Am »

Message deleted.
Last edited by Sam I Am on Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bounca

Post by Bounca »

danwalk wrote:I do wonder where the OP ran off to. It is so strange when one posts what seems to be a real question, receives over 100 responses, and never returns...

Perhaps he's gone and I don't blame him. :cry:
Met Income

Post by Met Income »

Bounca wrote:
danwalk wrote:I do wonder where the OP ran off to. It is so strange when one posts what seems to be a real question, receives over 100 responses, and never returns...

Maybe he's at the tattoo parlor.
gunn_show

Post by gunn_show »

Met Income wrote:
Bounca wrote:

Maybe he's at the tattoo parlor.
His butler is on vacation, so no one is around to type his response for him
"The best life hack of all is to just put the work in and never give up." Bas Rutten
Nitsuj

Re: My daughter got a nose pierce! I am not happy.

Post by Nitsuj »

RooseveltG wrote:My 24 year old, Ivy League graduate daughter who works for a large consulting firm just got a nose pierce (zirconium, left nostril). My wife and I had expressed our opposition over the years and she informed us that now that we had paid for her education and she did not have to worry about the financial ramifications, she was going ahead with the pierce.

Our objections are varied and they include health risks, employment risk and socioeconomic risk (will she bring someone home from a different socioeconomic class). We also wonder about the rest of her secret life since she lives in another city.

Are we over reacting or are these legitimate concerns?

Roosevelt.
I vote overreacting and would question your parenting skills if she is leading a secret life and not mentioning anything of it to you.
Nitsuj

Post by Nitsuj »

modal wrote:I don't believe women should be pierced outside of their ear lobes. And, even with those it should just be a hole in each ear. For guys, I think they should be pierce-less.

My BIL has a professional job and wears an earring, but it's bad taste to me.
I have two piercings in my left ear. I wear simple silver hoops. I wear them to work in my professional IT position. I have never run into any job issues because of it.

Full disclosure, I take them out when I interview, however I also wear a suit and tie when I interview.
hudson4351

Post by hudson4351 »

Sounds like a classic flame bait post - post something controversial, then sit back and watch everyone else argue about it.
Teetlebaum

Re: My daughter got a nose pierce! I am not happy.

Post by Teetlebaum »

Poor RooseveltG!

There's not much you can do except wait for her to have children who do something even more outrageous. And as far as worries about someone "from a different socioeconomic class" are concerned, as many angry and even disbelieving commenters have written, piercings and tatooings are no longer merely the preserve of bikers, arty types, and the just plain weird.

For my part, I'm anticipating things like furry or scaly skins, claws, fins, feathers and so on. Ultimately shape-shifting. ("Going whole-hog", "Chickening out", etc.)
mithrandir

Post by mithrandir »

And Heaven forbid she votes for "you know who". No, not Voldemort!
gassert

Post by gassert »

Why on earth do good threads get locked, yet this sillines is allowed to continue.
Please oh please get it together. I'll pieacre my @%! if it leads to more stimulating discussion.
arthurdawg

Post by arthurdawg »

gassert wrote:Why on earth do good threads get locked, yet this sillines is allowed to continue.
Please oh please get it together. I'll pieacre my @%! if it leads to more stimulating discussion.
post a good political comment and you'll have a lockdown in no time! in the meantime... enjoy the ride!
Indexed Fully!
wander

Post by wander »

I think the OPs should learn to accept it. The kid wants to prove she already grew up. Looks like she has not grown up yet. Let it be what she want, if she still has the "brain", she will figure it out later why her parents did not like it. As long, inside, she is still who she is. I think inside is what matters. If the OPs want to make it a big deal, they may lose their kid.
isleep

Post by isleep »

Don't worry, she'll probably grow out of it someday. :P
Nitsuj

Post by Nitsuj »

RooseveltG wrote:My 26 year old ivy league educated son told me that he and his girlfriend plan to have kids but may not get married. I would love to hear what advice, financial and otherwise, you would give to your son or daughter in this situation?

Thanks.

Roosevelt.
http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... 579#340579
danwalk

Post by danwalk »

Nitsuj wrote:
RooseveltG wrote:My 26 year old ivy league educated son told me that he and his girlfriend plan to have kids but may not get married. I would love to hear what advice, financial and otherwise, you would give to your son or daughter in this situation?

Thanks.

Roosevelt.
http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... 579#340579
Beautiful detective work, Nitsuj. Perhaps a "Dear Abby" forum would work better for the OP. :wink:
Image | "Time is your friend; impulse is your enemy."—Jack Bogle
gunn_show

Post by gunn_show »

no, this troll should be banned
Teetlebaum

Post by Teetlebaum »

tommy_gunn wrote:no, this troll should be banned
Really? We've had so much fun with this.

Back to the topic. The Nez Percé are
Native North Americans.... Also called the Sahaptin, or Shahaptin, they were given the name "Nez Percé" [pierced nose], by the French because some of them wore nose pendants....
mephistophles

Post by mephistophles »

Piercings and tatoos are cultural icons that arrived on the scene about 100,000 years ago. From an evolutonary standpoint they meant just two things.

For the man-----I am a warrior, ready to fight for my tribe and I am ready to die if my elders ask me to.

For the woman-I am grown up and ready to have sex and make babies. I am ready for the warrior to take me.

Thinkgs have not changed much in the last 100,000 years.

ole meph
SkepticalGuy

Post by SkepticalGuy »

mephistophles wrote:Piercings and tatoos are cultural icons that arrived on the scene about 100,000 years ago. From an evolutonary standpoint they meant just two things.

For the man-----I am a warrior, ready to fight for my tribe and I am ready to die if my elders ask me to.

For the woman-I am grown up and ready to have sex and make babies. I am ready for the warrior to take me.

ole meph
This article from The Smithsonian says that the oldest known tatoos are closer to 5000 years old and suggests that tatoos have had a number of different meanings in different cultures.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history-a ... c=y&page=1

Pretty recent to have any demonstrable evolutionary significance.
mephistophles

Post by mephistophles »

SkepticalGuy wrote:
mephistophles wrote:Piercings and tatoos are cultural icons that arrived on the scene about 100,000 years ago. From an evolutonary standpoint they meant just two things.

ole meph
This article from The Smithsonian says that the oldest known tatoos are closer to 5000 years old and suggests that tatoos have had a number of different meanings in different cultures.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history-a ... c=y&page=1

Pretty recent to have any demonstrable evolutionary significance.
Science hasn't worked it's way back 100,000 years in regards to piercing and tattoos. They probably will not be able to because the evidence is long since gone. Now, I know it happened the way I said, as one of my relatives was there.
GG

Post by GG »

Unless the OP is 70 and his child is 16 and he's been living on an island for 30 yrs I am not convinced this is a real post. No way.

I can remember my parents screaming about piercings 20 yrs ago. What age you we living in?
Met Income

Post by Met Income »

Who is trolling? This word is so overused.
giacolet

Post by giacolet »

Roosevelt G,

I am sorry you have behavior and morality problems with your two children.

Obviously, your choice of Ivy League prestigious universities has not worked nor has your parental oversight resulted in outcomes that meet your expectations.

I suggest this, that you recommend to your next child, niece, nephew or other family member, that instead of attending an expensive school attend a good one, one that takes brains to matriculate and not money.

Perennial elete private colleges include Williams and Swarthmore. The demanding curriculum, small classes and high performance standards may assist in reaching your expectations for your children.

Change the environment and peer groups, you change the outcome.
May your heart always be joyful. | May your song always be sung. | May you stay forever young. | ----Bob Dylan
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

Hey, let's lay off the college snobbery, anti-snobbery, stereotyping, and bashing.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
roadwarrior1946

Older & wiser now

Post by roadwarrior1946 »

Years ago I told my three godchildren, whatever happend in life, jail, disaster, etc., I would try to help them but please, please, don't get body piercings. Off course, in short order they all three showed up with ear rings, nose rings and, what must be the worst--a tongue piercing. Fortunately, I just held my tongue and didn't say anything and, you know what? A year or two went by and all of those things disappeared. I suppose I learned a lesson from this-- Give them space to do their own stupid things and they will probably let go of them on their own. :)
bearcat98

Post by bearcat98 »

That's pointlessly harsh. He doesn't look like a troll, and hasn't violated any forum rules :roll:
Nitsuj

Re: Older & wiser now

Post by Nitsuj »

roadwarrior1946 wrote:Off course, in short order they all three showed up with ear rings, nose rings and, what must be the worst--a tongue piercing.
The worst visible piercing, maybe...
murphyjh

Good Judgement

Post by murphyjh »

Congratlate her on the good judgement she showed in opting for a piercing instead of a tattoo. Piercings are easily reversed when maturity sets in.
Gregory

Post by Gregory »

Boris wrote:.... don't hold a trick to their face and force them to sit.
Are you sure these are the words you meant to type?
Pecuniae imperare oportet, non servire. | Fortuna vitrea est; tum cum splendit frangitur. -Syrus
fluffyistaken

Post by fluffyistaken »

giacolet wrote:Roosevelt G,

I am sorry you have behavior and morality problems with your two children.

Obviously, your choice of Ivy League prestigious universities has not worked nor has your parental oversight resulted in outcomes that meet your expectations.

I suggest this, that you recommend to your next child, niece, nephew or other family member, that instead of attending an expensive school attend a good one, one that takes brains to matriculate and not money.

Perennial elete private colleges include Williams and Swarthmore. The demanding curriculum, small classes and high performance standards may assist in reaching your expectations for your children.

Change the environment and peer groups, you change the outcome.
So this "problem" was caused by elite Ivy League education and you're suggesting that it could've been avoided by choosing elite liberal arts college education instead? It strikes me as substituting six for half a dozen. Of course I've only seen the Ivy part of that equation firsthand and maybe my cirriculum wasn't demanding enough or performace standards not high enough :roll: Of course, if I missed the obvious sarcasm, then my apologies.

Anyways this is all irrelevant since the poster is in fact most likely a troll as pointed out above -- he never bothered to come back to this thread and earlier posted a similar question, that time about his Ivy-educated son. If in the near future he starts a new thread about how his Ivy-educated wife is cheating on him I think it'll be case closed.
Scott S

Re: Older & wiser now

Post by Scott S »

roadwarrior1946 wrote:Years ago I told my three godchildren, whatever happend in life, jail, disaster, etc., I would try to help them but please, please, don't get body piercings.
Not judging, but I find it interesting you'd rather they got themselves thrown into jail than pierced. :?

- Scott
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

Watch me connect the topics of piercings and marriage, with overtones of sex and drugs:
Pussy said to the Owl, 'You elegant fowl!
How charmingly sweet you sing!
O let us be married! too long we have tarried:
But what shall we do for a ring?'
They sailed away, for a year and a day,
To the land where the Bong-tree grows
And there in a wood a Piggy-wig stood
With a ring at the end of his nose,
His nose,
His nose,
With a ring at the end of his nose.

'Dear pig, are you willing to sell for one shilling
Your ring?' Said the Piggy, 'I will.'
So they took it away, and were married next day
By the Turkey who lives on the hill.
They dined on mince, and slices of quince,
Which they ate with a runcible spoon;
And hand in hand, on the edge of the sand,
They danced by the light of the moon,
The moon,
The moon,
They danced by the light of the moon.
--Edward Lear, "The Owl and the Pussycat," Nonsense Songs, Stories, Botany, and Alphabets (1871)
Last edited by nisiprius on Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
Scott S

Post by Scott S »

nisiprius wrote:Watch me connect the topics of piercings and marriage, with overtones of sex and drugs:
His nose,
His nose,

The moon,
The moon,
--Edward Lear, The Owl and the Pussycat
The coup de grace... they're even marrying outside of their socioeconomic circles! :shock:

- Scott
tarnation

Post by tarnation »

nisiprius wrote:Watch me connect the topics of piercings and marriage, with overtones of sex and drugs:
His nose,
His nose,

The moon,
The moon,
--Edward Lear, The Owl and the Pussycat
Yeah, SOMEBODY was hanging out where the bong tree grows...