Where to find movers for a couch?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
hmw

Where to find movers for a couch?

Post by hmw »

My wife just bought a used couch from a friend of hers who is moving. The couch is pretty big, and it is about 15 miles from where we live.

I don't have a truck myself and can't move it myself. Any advice on where to find movers for such a small move? Should I call a moving company, or look for help on Craiglist? Any other ideas?

thanks
Katietsu

Re: Where to find movers for a couch?

Post by Katietsu »

Try calling places that rent trucks for self moves like Uhaul. They sometimes have guys that are willing to help with a move. I don’t know whether or not the cost would be acceptable for just a used couch.
sport

Post by sport »

If the friend is using a mover for their move, perhaps they could also move the couch and drop it off at your place.
kenoryan

Post by kenoryan »

2 men and a truck.
BostonBoy

Post by BostonBoy »

Go to your local firehouse and ask if someone would like to earn a few extra bucks after hours.
It's never failed me yet.
RudyS

Post by RudyS »

kenoryan wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 9:47 pm 2 men and a truck.
Good idea. Note, that's the actual name of company. Two Men and a Truck.
midareff

Post by midareff »

Outside just about every Home Depot, and I assume Lowes, are guys looking for day work. Most have pickup trucks. Can't imagine $50 can't get it done.
Hillview

Post by Hillview »

local gym
facebook if you use it
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

I recently rented a 9ft uHaul van to haul graduation tables and chairs.

They had an option to rent people to help by the hour. If you have a uHaul close, that might be a good option.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

In this area, U=Haul rental locations have lots of folks around looking for being paid for such work.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

I've hired movers and haulers based on large numbers of highly rated Yelp reviews and have had fast and courteous service from obviously hardworking people. Be clear with them upfront what you expect. Do you want the sofa to be shrink wrapped and cared for like a professional mover? Do you want insurance against damage? Are you OK if it is moved in a pickup or trailer or do you want it moved in a box truck? Oh and I always tip at least $20 even if they are just at my house for less than 5 minutes.
Warning: I am about 80% satisficer (accepting of good enough) and 20% maximizer
DetroitRick

Post by DetroitRick »

Consider joining Nextdoor.com (free, basically a neighborhood-based social media platform) for referrals from folks in your neighborhood. Especially since you are only 15 mi. away from the couch.

Since this is a one-time thing, you might be able to get decent choices quickly through that portal. Depending on website participation levels in your neighborhood, of course. That site it just rolling out in our neighborhood, but after joining a week ago, it seems like a useful tool for all sorts of local service recommendations. Since it's not anonymous (it's your neighbors), you can get actual experiences and ask questions before choosing a pro or amateur. I'd probably go amateur myself if it's just a regular couch, but rent furniture padding from my local storage unit to protect the couch from abrasions.
tidelandp

Post by tidelandp »

OP, if Dolly is in your city, https://dolly.com, I'd try them, otherwise, I agree with DetroitRick about Nextdoor.
Watty

Post by Watty »

hmw wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 8:40 pm Any other ideas?
Find a friend with a pickup truck for the actual move. We have a pickup truck and that pretty much comes with owning one.

For loading it and unloading it ask some of your friends neighbors for help load it, for ten minutes. If they have teenage kids they are fair game too. If you know any teenagers then ask them to bring a friend or two to help.

At your place ask your neighbors or friends.

Most couches are large and awkward but not that hard to move unless it is something like a sofa bed or there are a lot of stairs.

Carry any removable cushions in your car since they are liable to blow out of the back of a pickup truck.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

You can rent a truck from UHaul or a big-box store (Lowe's, Home Depot) for a short period of time for not very much money ($20 or so sometimes). Then ask your neighbors if they have or know a couple of strapping teenagers who'd like to earn a little extra money.
JFKtoSFO

Post by JFKtoSFO »

If Taskrabbit is available in your area, you might want to try that.

I had great success using Taskrabbit this past weekend to hire 2 nice people to haul a sofa and some other miscellany into a 4th floor walkup apartment. You pay and tip through the app, which I found incredibly convenient. My spouse and I rented a van from Zipcar and drove ourselves, but I've rented from Uhaul in the past with no problems.
fortfun

Post by fortfun »

Ask the high school football coach if he has a few players that would like to earn some cash. They are always trying to raise money for their teams and a lot of the guys have trucks.