Another road trip Denver to Cheyenne

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
hoops777

Another road trip Denver to Cheyenne

Post by hoops777 » Sat May 19, 2018 11:37 am

We are flying to Denver for 4 days and are going to drive up to Cheyenne and possibly Laramie,June 8.
Any hidden gems we should see?We were going to see Steamboat Springs but I think it is too out of the way.My wife wants no part of driving on high mountain roads that have big drops without barriers on the side of the road :D
Boulder and Fort Collins are obvious stops.
K.I.S.S........so easy to say so difficult to do.

dbr

Re: Another road trip Denver to Cheyenne

Post by dbr » Sat May 19, 2018 12:40 pm

I suggest reconsidering and at least drive Trail Ridge Road in Rocky Mountain National Park.

If that doesn't work maybe you can check out Red Rocks, Lookout Mountain (Buffalo Bill Grave), Coors Brewery in Golden, Hwy 93 to Boulder, Eldorado Springs, Boulder, CSU campus in Fort Collins (Fort Collins?), Interstate 25 to Cheyenne. You can look at the feedlots around Greeley. For the off-beat tour there is something like this: https://www.weldgov.com/departments/bui ... site_park/

Research is needed.

Info_Hound

Post by Info_Hound » Sun May 20, 2018 11:35 am

Not much in the way of tourist stops from Denver to Cheyenne. Be mindful of altitude if you are not living at altitude and drink lots and lots of water.

Fort Collins has a nice old town with a bit of history. Did you know that Walt Disney used old town Fort Collins as his model for Main Street in Disneyland? You can find plenty of food and shopping opportunities as well. Now that CSU has shifted to its summer class mode, parking will be less of a challenge. Tons of microbreweries in the area and all of them good. :beer

The ride from Denver to Fort Collins is about an hour from the North side of Denver. The ride from Fort Collins to Cheyenne is about 40 minutes. High plains and vast empty spaces. You are likely to see buffalo in the distance on the interstate (I-25) when you get near the Colorado/Wyoming line at Terry's Ranch. Stop at the WY visitor's center to feel the high desert, emptiness and the nonstop winds. Pick up a coupon book at the visitor's center for discounts at many of Cheyenne's businesses. Cheyenne feels like an old town. Fort Collins does the old town vibe better in my opinion. The major claim to fame for Cheyenne is their Cheyenne Frontier Days event (rodeo and concerts) and Warren AFB which you can't get into.

Laramie is a real small town that you can fly past if you aren't careful. The University of Wyoming is located here and not much else.

Rocky Mountain National Park is well worth the trip. Get off the Interstate at Loveland (route 34 exit - lots of signs) and about 40 mins later you will be in Estes Park, the gateway to RMNP. They just reopened the road after 2 years of rebuilding it due to massive flooding of the Thompson River. The drive up the canyon is pretty awesome! Estes also has an old town, but it is very crowded and touristy. I have a Senior pass so I am unsure what the entrance fee for a day in RMNP is anymore.

Drive as far as you like, many pull offs for viewing and if you get to the Alpine Visitors Center the view is inspiring. Many turn around and head back to Estes at that point as it does take time to travel back. The snow is melting pretty fast and they plan to have Trail Ridge open before the end of May this year. Here is a link to the web cams in RMNP, including the visitor's center. Looking around the web site will likely answer a number of questions. https://www.nps.gov/romo/learn/photosmu ... ebcams.htm

Enjoy your trip!

hoops777

Post by hoops777 » Sun May 20, 2018 12:08 pm

Info_Hound wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 11:35 am
Not much in the way of tourist stops from Denver to Cheyenne. Be mindful of altitude if you are not living at altitude and drink lots and lots of water.

Fort Collins has a nice old town with a bit of history. Did you know that Walt Disney used old town Fort Collins as his model for Main Street in Disneyland? You can find plenty of food and shopping opportunities as well. Now that CSU has shifted to its summer class mode, parking will be less of a challenge. Tons of microbreweries in the area and all of them good. :beer

The ride from Denver to Fort Collins is about an hour from the North side of Denver. The ride from Fort Collins to Cheyenne is about 40 minutes. High plains and vast empty spaces. You are likely to see buffalo in the distance on the interstate (I-25) when you get near the Colorado/Wyoming line at Terry's Ranch. Stop at the WY visitor's center to feel the high desert, emptiness and the nonstop winds. Pick up a coupon book at the visitor's center for discounts at many of Cheyenne's businesses. Cheyenne feels like an old town. Fort Collins does the old town vibe better in my opinion. The major claim to fame for Cheyenne is their Cheyenne Frontier Days event (rodeo and concerts) and Warren AFB which you can't get into.

Laramie is a real small town that you can fly past if you aren't careful. The University of Wyoming is located here and not much else.

Rocky Mountain National Park is well worth the trip. Get off the Interstate at Loveland (route 34 exit - lots of signs) and about 40 mins later you will be in Estes Park, the gateway to RMNP. They just reopened the road after 2 years of rebuilding it due to massive flooding of the Thompson River. The drive up the canyon is pretty awesome! Estes also has an old town, but it is very crowded and touristy. I have a Senior pass so I am unsure what the entrance fee for a day in RMNP is anymore.

Drive as far as you like, many pull offs for viewing and if you get to the Alpine Visitors Center the view is inspiring. Many turn around and head back to Estes at that point as it does take time to travel back. The snow is melting pretty fast and they plan to have Trail Ridge open before the end of May this year. Here is a link to the web cams in RMNP, including the visitor's center. Looking around the web site will likely answer a number of questions. https://www.nps.gov/romo/learn/photosmu ... ebcams.htm

Enjoy your trip!
Thanks for the info.One question is how long is the drive from Estes to the views driving up the canyon?

a_teacher

Post by a_teacher » Sun May 20, 2018 2:54 pm

If you like micro brews, Fort Collins has many! New Belgium and Odell's are the two largest/most famous. They both have wonderful patios and you could visit both in one day. Poudre River has amazing rafting. That would be a nice half day trip for you. Horsetooth Reservoir is a very scenic lake that your could drive around, or rent a boat/paddle board for a few hours. Rocky Mtn. Ntl park would be about 1 hour out of your way but worth the visit. It's about another hour to the top of Trail Ridge road from the entrance.

Info_Hound

Post by Info_Hound » Mon May 21, 2018 9:04 am

hoops777 wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 12:08 pm
Info_Hound wrote:

Enjoy your trip!
Thanks for the info.One question is how long is the drive from Estes to the views driving up the canyon?
In order to get to Estes Park you go through the Big Thompson Canyon on US34. The canyon entrance starts shortly after you get outside of the town of Loveland (going West on US34). It goes on for many miles (about 40 minutes of canyon driving) until you finally enter the valley that Estes Park sits in. From Estes Park to Alpine Visitors Center depend entirely on how often stops are made at the many overlooks. On average it takes about an hour to reach the summit from the park entrance.

So timing - 50mins -1 hr from North Denver to Loveland (using I-25), 40 minutes from Loveland to Estes Park and about an hour from RMNP entrance to Alpine Visitors center. Then reverse it to get back to Denver. Week days are the best time, weekends are busy and or crowded. It can be done in a day with time to pull off and really see the mountains and/or poke around in Estes Park or Fort Collins.

Random Poster

Post by Random Poster » Mon May 21, 2018 9:55 am

Info_Hound wrote:
The Wyoming Territorial Prison makes for an educational stop.

And if one is really into trains, they can stand on the pedestrian railroad overpass just west of downtown and watch (and feel) the trains go by underneath them.

TallBoy29er

Post by TallBoy29er » Mon May 21, 2018 10:48 am

You mentioned Boulder. If you like hiking, I think you would enjoy Chautauqua Park. You can hike up to the base of the Flat Irons. You can go out for a 30 minute loop, or hours. We love it. You could also rent a cottage there if you feel like staying. It can be a bit pricey, and they are a bit rustic, but we find it very relaxing. It is also a quick hop to downtown Boulder (like 5 minutes) from there as well.

hoops777

Post by hoops777 » Mon May 21, 2018 11:48 am

Info_Hound wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 9:04 am
hoops777 wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 12:08 pm
Info_Hound wrote:

Enjoy your trip!
In order to get to Estes Park you go through the Big Thompson Canyon on US34. The canyon entrance starts shortly after you get outside of the town of Loveland (going West on US34). It goes on for many miles (about 40 minutes of canyon driving) until you finally enter the valley that Estes Park sits in. From Estes Park to Alpine Visitors Center depend entirely on how often stops are made at the many overlooks. On average it takes about an hour to reach the summit from the park entrance.

So timing - 50mins -1 hr from North Denver to Loveland (using I-25), 40 minutes from Loveland to Estes Park and about an hour from RMNP entrance to Alpine Visitors center. Then reverse it to get back to Denver. Week days are the best time, weekends are busy and or crowded. It can be done in a day with time to pull off and really see the mountains and/or poke around in Estes Park or Fort Collins.
Perfect.We are going to stay in Loveland for 3 or 4 nights so that will be one day for sure.Thanks

hoops777

Post by hoops777 » Mon May 21, 2018 11:51 am

Random Poster wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 9:55 am
Info_Hound wrote:
The Wyoming Territorial Prison makes for an educational stop.

And if one is really into trains, they can stand on the pedestrian railroad overpass just west of downtown and watch (and feel) the trains go by underneath them.
Too bad my grandson will not be with us.Do the trains run frequently?I might go and take a video for the little guy :happy

Random Poster

Post by Random Poster » Mon May 21, 2018 12:45 pm

hoops777 wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 11:51 am
Too bad my grandson will not be with us.Do the trains run frequently?I might go and take a video for the little guy :happy
The trains probably run frequently, as it is a big Union Pacific train yard (that might not be the specific or correct term for it) and as I recall the pedestrian bridge crosses at least 8 railroad tracks.

That all said, I wouldn't go out of my way for it to make a video and I suspect that you can find an existing video of the trains on the internet. Like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4F2OzDqbl4

hoops777

Post by hoops777 » Mon May 21, 2018 3:11 pm

Random Poster wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 12:45 pm
hoops777 wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 11:51 am
The trains probably run frequently, as it is a big Union Pacific train yard (that might not be the specific or correct term for it) and as I recall the pedestrian bridge crosses at least 8 railroad tracks.

That all said, I wouldn't go out of my way for it to make a video and I suspect that you can find an existing video of the trains on the internet. Like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4F2OzDqbl4
I know but that video does not have us in it :happy We probably will not be going past Cheyenne.