New phone to continue T-mobile legacy prepaid plan

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
tibbitts

New phone to continue T-mobile legacy prepaid plan

Post by tibbitts »

I'm looking for suggestions for a replacement phone. My Samsung T-139 flip phone has failed - it only works like a pager now (still rings, but talking doesn't work.) I have another carrier's service on a smartphone, but would like to keep my legacy T-mobile prepaid plan (so, as little as $10/yr keeps it going.)

I liked these Samsung / T-mobile phone features:

1. I bought a new battery last year and since then the Samsung is back to running for the usual week-plus without recharging.

2. My Samsung + T-mobile used to work (until a year or so ago) in Alaska metro areas, which my other phone doesn't at all. Last year it didn't seem to work, although it could see the local roaming phone company the same as it always did (and used to work with.)

3. I like the small size and weight.

I don't want to spend a lot on a phone, and don't need smartphone service (and I want to keep my legacy voice plan.)
Topic Author
tibbitts

Re: New phone to continue T-mobile legacy prepaid plan

Post by tibbitts »

So it seems that some of my issues with roaming failures may be due to elimination of 2G on non-t-mobile networks. I guess t-mobile will follow that in a year or two, so the simple solution of replacing my phone with a used-but-working same model isn't the most appealing.

It also seems that there are various reports of experiences people have with t-mobile transferring the legacy accounts to newer phones. One issue is that all newer phones need smaller sim cards, and now typically new phones don't come with sim cards. Buying a new card from t-mobile costs a lot ($30-ish, depending on who you ask.) There are stories of people having the new $10 t-mobile cards configured by t-mobile for free to attach to an existing legacy account... and accounts of that not happening.
ft2010

Post by ft2010 »

Sim card size: perhaps check at local small dealers if they are willing cut the simcard to a smaller size for a nominal fee. I got that done years ago for $5. Or, if you are handy, use a sim cutter or simply scissor to cut it yourself.

Naturally, you must have looked for t mobile online or in store for their offering of new handsets. Another idea for a new handset would be to look at Att prepaid flip phones. You need double check Att current device unlock policy before proceeding. It used to be one can unlock a phone without being an Att customer, I don't know for sure whether things have changed over time. Also be sure to check the handset frequency before you make a purchase.
Topic Author
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

ft2010 wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 2:07 pm Sim card size: perhaps check at local small dealers if they are willing cut the simcard to a smaller size for a nominal fee. I got that done years ago for $5. Or, if you are handy, use a sim cutter or simply scissor to cut it yourself.

Naturally, you must have looked for t mobile online or in store for their offering of new handsets. Another idea for a new handset would be to look at Att prepaid flip phones. You need double check Att current device unlock policy before proceeding. It used to be one can unlock a phone without being an Att customer, I don't know for sure whether things have changed over time. Also be sure to check the handset frequency before you make a purchase.
Lest anyone suggest asking on the t-mobile community forum... t-mobile support has been working on enabling a login. It's a process apparently, probably because I've been with t-mobile for so long, something in my account profile is confusing the new-ish community software when it attempts to link my account. I might try a workaround if they can't fix it in another month or two. :-) My "my" t-mobile account is working just fine, but I do want to solicit opinions from other t-mobile users, and the discussion there have left me with some questions. Also I believe migration is a moving target so some of the discussion may contain outdated or at least out-of-favor information (kind of like on Bogleheads: equities always <= 50%!)

As for the sim cards, I don't fully understand the difference between buying a $10 t-mobile branded new-phone sim (compatible with all three sizes) and the $30 variety from the retail store. I can buy unlocked phones, but can also buy used t-mobile phones. I can buy locked phones that were used on the t-mobile network, but the assortment of product names is confusing. I can still find a Simply Prepaid phone on Ebay etc. that includes a sim card... but I'm not sure if t-mobile can make that work with my legacy account. It's very complicated, but having service for $10/yr is appealing, so I'm willing to work at it... a bit more, but not that much.

I would not even consider buying a non-t-mobile non-unlocked phone. Even if a carrier offered to unlock phones yesterday for free, the odds of them still unlocking them today would be about zero, the policy change occurring the minute I bought the phone.
Topic Author
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

I could buy a new poorly-rated flip phone by mail from t-mobile, but the entire "official" t-mobile process would set me back considerably more than $100, and that seems kind of silly for less functionality than I had a decade ago.

I have to give tracfone credit for making the process easier if not necessarily less expensive - my migration from flip phone to a 16GB Samsung cost about $110 for the first year and then $60/year or so for a while, and that's for a plan that includes data (well almost none, but useful in a pinch.) I'm not looking for data from t-mobile, just my old legacy voice plan.

Post by 123 »

I don't have a recommendation but I just want to say that I appreciate your situation in wanting to hold onto that T-mobile legacy prepaid plan. At one time our family had four of those minimal $10 a year plans (plus voice at 10 cents a minute). We're now down to two (one of which is hardly ever used). It's such a good plan and matches our needs so well (as backup phones) that they've very hard to let go of. That said we've encountered issues at time which I'm pretty sure are related to the phaseout of 2G in some instances.

I replaced one flip phone with an inexpensive Smartphone by just buying a SIM cutter from Amazon and sticking the SIM card in the replacement phone. Works as a phone but I need wi-fi to use any smart phone features.

I agree it's hard to find a reasonably priced new flip phone. When you've gotten them in the past for $25 or less each it's hard to stomach paying $50 - $150 for one. There are some new flip phones that use LTE but that technology might not be available in more rustic areas (or maybe it is I dunno).
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
ft2010

Post by ft2010 »

I just looked up online, Bestbuy has the updated Nokia 3310 (2017version) for $60, and it's completely unlocked GSM. I don't have personal experience with this particular model, however Nokia had made a name for durability, one of my old ancient Nokia spare handset still works, albeit it was not heavyily used aside from its decade old age :)

If you currently use standard sim size, you still need solve the sim card size issue. Easily mitigated by a sim cutter, either you can cut yourself or find a small store clerk who has this kind of tool and willing a make a buck.

Bestbuy also has Att prepaid flip phone for $30 (LG B470). The only concern for you might be unlocking and potential issue. Years ago, I got a couple of exceedingly low priced Att prepaid Samsung flip phones from Bestbuy, unlocking them was a breeze. While I was and still am an Att prepaid customer, I didnt even bother with providing my Att number, I simply submitted an online request as a non-custome on Att's own device unlock page. Such a page still can be fund, however since I have not had hands on experience to unlock something in recent years I cannot comment further whether it would go smoothly nowadays.

Lastly, how much balance you have remain in you legacy t mobile account? You might want do a total cost benefit analysis, for example including the cost of a new or used handset. For people with exceedingly low usage, going forward it could be better to use lycamobile pay as you go instead. P.s. I am stuck as I have over $100 remain in my very own legacy account. I don't have handset replacement issues since I have so many spare phones ( I dont threw away or sell the old ones) and should stop counting.
meebers

Post by meebers »

I am on T-mobile legacy prepaid plan also for the past several years. I have changed phones three times so far on mine. All my phones used the same size sim. The wife is on her third one also, but had to buy a nano sim for her new phone. That was before I knew about sim cutters. If I move to a newer phone myself and it requires a nano, will buy a cutter and will try that, if it does not work then off to T-m for a new sim. For the wife's phone a sim was a $35 charge (rip off in my opinion) Just check prices of cutters $0.99 - 5.00. Wife's prior phone were 2 LG's and now she has a Moto G5. My priors are LG's, now on a Nokia 640 (windows 10) phone ($29) AT&T version, but unlocked and used on T-M without issue. Our cable company has free WiFi all over town (Orlando) so we are seldom without coverage. We are not heavy users, so $10/year does us. YMMV
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

tibbitts wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 11:33 am So it seems that some of my issues with roaming failures may be due to elimination of 2G on non-t-mobile networks. I guess t-mobile will follow that in a year or two, so the simple solution of replacing my phone with a used-but-working same model isn't the most appealing.
Will the $10 legacy plan still work when 2G ends?

We have a Galaxy S2 on that plan, we don't really use it, just keeping it alive for $10 per year as a back up. I see the settings on our phone have an option for 2G only, so it seems that it can use 3G also. So it appears that can continue to function when 2G ends (assuming T-mobile continues to allow us to keep that plan).
Topic Author
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

jeffyscott wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 10:32 pm
tibbitts wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 11:33 am So it seems that some of my issues with roaming failures may be due to elimination of 2G on non-t-mobile networks. I guess t-mobile will follow that in a year or two, so the simple solution of replacing my phone with a used-but-working same model isn't the most appealing.
Will the $10 legacy plan still work when 2G ends?

We have a Galaxy S2 on that plan, we don't really use it, just keeping it alive for $10 per year as a back up. I see the settings on our phone have an option for 2G only, so it seems that it can use 3G also. So it appears that can continue to function when 2G ends (assuming T-mobile continues to allow us to keep that plan).
That's one of my issues. I wonder whether cases where roaming used to work for me and now won't in the same areas issues are because the roaming network has gone 3g and my phone is 2g-only.

Still today people are building and selling new 2g-only phones but isn't even t-mobile (maybe one of the last holdouts) dropping 2g in 2020?

But I don't understand whether it's only my my phone that's 2g-only (which it is), or whether that limitation is associated with the sim card or the plan itself.
Topic Author
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

ft2010 wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 5:20 pm I just looked up online, Bestbuy has the updated Nokia 3310 (2017version) for $60, and it's completely unlocked GSM. I don't have personal experience with this particular model, however Nokia had made a name for durability, one of my old ancient Nokia spare handset still works, albeit it was not heavyily used aside from its decade old age :)

If you currently use standard sim size, you still need solve the sim card size issue. Easily mitigated by a sim cutter, either you can cut yourself or find a small store clerk who has this kind of tool and willing a make a buck.

Bestbuy also has Att prepaid flip phone for $30 (LG B470). The only concern for you might be unlocking and potential issue. Years ago, I got a couple of exceedingly low priced Att prepaid Samsung flip phones from Bestbuy, unlocking them was a breeze. While I was and still am an Att prepaid customer, I didnt even bother with providing my Att number, I simply submitted an online request as a non-custome on Att's own device unlock page. Such a page still can be fund, however since I have not had hands on experience to unlock something in recent years I cannot comment further whether it would go smoothly nowadays.

Lastly, how much balance you have remain in you legacy t mobile account? You might want do a total cost benefit analysis, for example including the cost of a new or used handset. For people with exceedingly low usage, going forward it could be better to use lycamobile pay as you go instead. P.s. I am stuck as I have over $100 remain in my very own legacy account. I don't have handset replacement issues since I have so many spare phones ( I dont threw away or sell the old ones) and should stop counting.
I appreciate the info on Nokia, that's a possibility. I would consider that before hoping to unlock a phone from another carrier. I'm not stuck on having a flip or non-smartphone, I just already have a smartphone with another carrier so it would be duplicating that functionality (wifi, at least - given no data on the t-mobile plan.)
ft2010

Post by ft2010 »

I meant I got stuck in keeping my t mobile account due to size of its balance. Over the years, I accumulated multiple accounts concurrent across several prepaid providers. I probably would have spent down most of these accounts, if not for the "free" data from Freedompop sim cards. I also have many spare handsets including smartphones that I can switch sim cards around.

Another idea for you, OP, would be to consider a moto e4 or moto g5. I got the latter from Costco on sale near the end of last year. I saw yesterday at my local Costco still carrying it ($180). Moto e4 (unlocked version) is cheaper entry level but also very fuctional. Both are unlocked and compatible with all four celluar networks. I am aware you already have one smartphone, however since it's tracfone, your phone is locked and cannot be used with any another provider. This means you stay with tracfone or have to eventually buy another smartphone when you move out. When you have a modern, unlocked smartphone, you gain the freedom to choose whatever mobile service provider anytime you want.

P.s. the t mobile account, each year when I add $10 to keep it, I cannot help but feeling like I was throwing good money at bad investmentwhen there are much cheaper alternatives. So if your current balance is low and seldom use the Tmobile line, taking that $10 to lycamobile instead, with pay as you go at 5c/min, could last you several years.
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

ft2010 wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 11:27 am I meant I got stuck in keeping my t mobile account due to size of its balance.
Same here, it's now our most expensive cell service at that $10 per year price :) , 3 other phones are on FreedomPop free plans.

Keeping it in case FP goes away and figure it's a back-up emergency phone in case others don't have coverage or any other issues. I also figured that it's a phone that might work in Europe with the T-mobile SIM. If it does, the service would be ridiculously high ($1+ per minute, I think?) but doesn't matter since we have $80 or so on there that will never get used otherwise.
ft2010

Post by ft2010 »

Haha, first world problems. I also wonder when will FreedomPop bite the dust, despite they are saving me lots of money.
go_mets

Post by go_mets »

I gave up my $10/year T-Mobile legacy prepaid plan last week.

The only option that wasn't a flip phone that according to T-mobile support on their forums was guaranteed to work on their system in my area was the
https://prepaid.t-mobile.com/prepaid/br ... FLIPBLUKIT

I wasn't willing to gamble $75 just to keep my grandfathered $10/year legacy prepaid plan.
I use the word gamble because I would call and people can't hear me.
Texts worked.
I had the LG B450 that I purchased in the summer of 2016 so it wasn't ancient.
I bought it because I thought it was the fault of my Nokia cake phone. It wasn't! :annoyed

So, I bought Tracfone ZTE Z233VL for $20. Also a 4G "flip phone" similar to the one T-Mobile required.
Ported my number.
Paid $60 for 1500/1500/1500 from an eBay seller.
The phone runs on Verizon network.
So far so good.