Locking a tote bag?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Barefootgirl

Locking a tote bag?

Post by Barefootgirl » Fri May 18, 2018 8:11 am

I recognize this may be a crazy question, but no harm in asking.

Traditional luggage is often secured with a lock that connects two loops on a zip around zipper.

I'm very mobile these days and carry a heavy duty tote bag with a zipper across the top. I use it to store important files, etc.

I realize that anyone wanting to steal my bag when I am not near it, can just grab and go...but I am more concerned about the temptation to snoop or rummage (don't ask lol).

I'm thinking of some kind of contraption that includes a lock and utility type safety pin that fastens across one end in a way that prevents the zipper from being slid open.

Any mouse traps for this?
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.

Ron

Re: Locking a tote bag?

Post by Ron » Fri May 18, 2018 8:26 am

If you have a zipper, you have no security; all you need is a ballpoint pen to open it:

https://snapguide.com/guides/open-a-loc ... point-pen/

- Ron

Barefootgirl

Post by Barefootgirl » Fri May 18, 2018 8:40 am

I have used this method myself. My goal is not so much prevention as it is deterrence/delay/difficulty.
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Fri May 18, 2018 8:41 am

Get a bag with a lock. It's only a deterrent but may let you worry less.

Something like this perhaps? https://tinyurl.com/y8fcdu5g

Faith20879

Post by Faith20879 » Fri May 18, 2018 9:09 am

I understand your need for deterrence. My old tote bag has a double pull zipper (similar to the one bob posted above) without the lock. When I am not looking, I use a small size carabiner to lock the zipper. This will deter the perps at least 10 to 15 seconds.

Barefootgirl

Post by Barefootgirl » Fri May 18, 2018 9:21 am

Thank you so much, I think that bag looks like a possible solution.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Fri May 18, 2018 9:37 am

Barefootgirl wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 9:21 am
Thank you so much, I think that bag looks like a possible solution.
Any bag with a double zipper pull should work. And there are more and more of these (perhaps for this reason?).

There are lots of tiny locks, but for this type of purpose, we find a little combination lock better... no chance of losing the key.
You can get them at a variety of places, from luggage stores to camping stores like REI, or even some convenience stores.

We have several little locks, and we keep them set to the same combination for convenience.
(After all, the deterrence isn't directed at either of us :wink: )

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

GAAP

Post by GAAP » Fri May 18, 2018 9:43 am

PacSafe, perhaps: https://www.pacsafe.com/bags/totes/. Haven't used their totes, have used some of their other stuff. My wife has one of their travel purses.

Watty

Post by Watty » Fri May 18, 2018 9:49 am

One "trick" photographers use is instead of using an expensive looking camera bag is to carry your gear in a diaper bag. People are much less likely to be interested in that.

JohnFiscal

Post by JohnFiscal » Fri May 18, 2018 10:08 am

Watty wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 9:49 am
One "trick" photographers use is instead of using an expensive looking camera bag is to carry your gear in a diaper bag. People are much less likely to be interested in that.
Great trick!

I also like the Pacsafe items. We have several.

Another trick, though not useful for daily use, is to use a nylon cable tie (from hardware store or department) to bind the two zipper pulls together. This prevents a pilferer from unzipping a suitcase to rifle through it. TSA or whoever (official) can easily cut this if necessary for inspection. Actually, this tip was suggested for when we departed from MNL airport at a time when some personnel would insert an actual bullet into your suitcase ("for luck!" suggested airport management) and when found on x-ray scan they'd provide a friendly offer to waive calling security personnel for only a small fee instead.

Nate79

Post by Nate79 » Fri May 18, 2018 10:35 am

Watty wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 9:49 am
Preferably with a dirty diaper on top.

:D

Barefootgirl

Post by Barefootgirl » Fri May 18, 2018 10:38 am

great suggestions - human behavior is quirky, someone might not consider it a wrong to take a peak at your personal data, but would think twice about carrying your bag away for themselves.