Road trip Newark NJ to Albany

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
DarthSage

Re: Road trip Newark NJ to Albany

Post by DarthSage » Sun May 20, 2018 7:17 pm

There are decent hotels in both Albany and Saratoga, if you're interested. Cooperstown (Baseball Hall of Fame) is kind of in the middle of nowhere, but an easy day trip from Albany. I'm not a baseball fan at all, and I still found the HoF to be worth a visit.

There used to be airshows at Rhinebeck--it might be worth a quick google search to see if there's one during your visit. They're more "showing off your vintage plane" type shows, not the kind with the Blue Angels and whatever. Worth your time, for sure.

The Adirondacks are beautiful that time of year--some stuff does shut down for the winter, though.

If you spot a Stewart's shop, stop in for some ice cream. We left in 2008, and if you asked my kids what they missed about NY, Stewart's would be #1 on their list. They use local dairy products, and in addition to the standard flavors, there are quirky local ones--Budget Crunch, Crumbs Along the Mohawk, and my personal favorite--Mint Marcy.

hoops777

Post by hoops777 » Sun May 20, 2018 8:05 pm

Thanks.I would love to go to the Hall of Fame but my wife hates baseball.We will see how that works out :D
K.I.S.S........so easy to say so difficult to do.

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Mon May 21, 2018 7:50 am

AntsOnTheMarch wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 7:30 am
Lots of good suggestions which are worth repeating and confirming. October would be my most favorite month to do this.

If you have the time to drive up on Rt. 9 on the east side of the Hudson River and make many stops (with some layovers), you’d be traveling in an area rich in attractions. It seems circuitous but I’d probably to go up the garden state parkway to 287 and across the new bridge (was Tappan Zee Bridge, now the Gov. Mario M. Cuomo Bridge), then up Rt. 9. You will have to cross back over the Hudson to see some of these but it’s a trivial matter.
Nope, the bridge is still called the Governor Malcom Wilson bridge, saw it prominently displayed on the Rockland Cty bound span a few weeks ago.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

DarthSage

Post by DarthSage » Mon May 21, 2018 8:19 am

hoops777 wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 8:05 pm
Thanks.I would love to go to the Hall of Fame but my wife hates baseball.We will see how that works out :D
I actually brought a book to read, when we went there! Still, it was much more interesting than I thought it would be. I'm still not a baseball fan, but I understand the reverence while viewing, say, Lou Gehrig's dirt-stained jersey.

hoops777

Post by hoops777 » Mon May 21, 2018 11:58 am

DarthSage wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 8:19 am
hoops777 wrote:
I actually brought a book to read, when we went there! Still, it was much more interesting than I thought it would be. I'm still not a baseball fan, but I understand the reverence while viewing, say, Lou Gehrig's dirt-stained jersey.
It took some effort but I got her to the point where she enjoys watching the Warriors now,but baseball was a dead end.Too slow and no appreciation or understanding of the nuances.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Mon May 21, 2018 12:27 pm

DarthSage wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 8:19 am
hoops777 wrote:
The baseball Hall of Fame is wonderful (longtime baseball fan) - BUT is quite a ways from the Hudson valley trip to Albany.

Years ago, we went to Cooperstown and saw the Hall of Fame in a very cold/snowy mid winter visit.

AntsOnTheMarch

Post by AntsOnTheMarch » Mon May 21, 2018 12:36 pm

Grt2bOutdoors wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 7:50 am
AntsOnTheMarch wrote:
Lots of good suggestions which are worth repeating and confirming. October would be my most favorite month to do this.

If you have the time to drive up on Rt. 9 on the east side of the Hudson River and make many stops (with some layovers), you’d be traveling in an area rich in attractions. It seems circuitous but I’d probably to go up the garden state parkway to 287 and across the new bridge (was Tappan Zee Bridge, now the Gov. Mario M. Cuomo Bridge), then up Rt. 9. You will have to cross back over the Hudson to see some of these but it’s a trivial matter.
Nope, the bridge is still called the Governor Malcom Wilson bridge, saw it prominently displayed on the Rockland Cty bound span a few weeks ago.
I believe you are technically correct but it’s just a formality at this point. Even though the new bridge is already in use, not all lanes are completed yet. It’s already labeled Gov. Mario M. Cuomo Bridge on Apple maps (but not google maps yet). Signs and maps will be updated eventually, I assume.

hoops777

Post by hoops777 » Mon May 21, 2018 3:15 pm

AntsOnTheMarch wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 12:36 pm
Grt2bOutdoors wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 7:50 am
AntsOnTheMarch wrote:

I believe you are technically correct but it’s just a formality at this point. Even though the new bridge is already in use, not all lanes are completed yet. It’s already labeled Gov. Mario M. Cuomo Bridge on Apple maps (but not google maps yet). Signs and maps will be updated eventually, I assume.
Forgive me if this is a stupid question but driving only one way from Albany to Newark are their issues seeing the towns because of what side of the river you are on?

dm200

Post by dm200 » Mon May 21, 2018 3:33 pm

Forgive me if this is a stupid question but driving only one way from Albany to Newark are their issues seeing the towns because of what side of the river you are on?
Yes - different sites - some on one side of the Hudson River and some on the other. However, there are multiple bridges over the Hudson along the way.

AntsOnTheMarch

Post by AntsOnTheMarch » Mon May 21, 2018 3:39 pm

dm200 wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 3:33 pm
Yes - different sites - some on one side of the Hudson River and some on the other. However, there are multiple bridges over the Hudson along the way.
True. For example, while visiting FDR library, you are not far from West Point and Storm King. They are on other side of Hudson River but you can cross over bridge nearby.

hoops777

Post by hoops777 » Mon May 21, 2018 3:45 pm

Thanks.I assumed there must be a lot of bridges which is great since I am a lousy swimmer :D

hoops777

Post by hoops777 » Mon May 21, 2018 3:46 pm

Should we visit the Berkshires since we have added a couple of days?

AntsOnTheMarch

Post by AntsOnTheMarch » Mon May 21, 2018 4:31 pm

hoops777 wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 3:46 pm
I would. It will take you slightly away from your “as the crow flies” path but not by much. I’d look at Lenox, MA (Tangelwood, The Mount [Edith Wharton’s home]) and North Adams, MA. Others will contribute more suggestions, I suspect. Whenever I visit a new area, I start my research at TripAdvisor and branch out from there.

DarthSage

Post by DarthSage » Mon May 21, 2018 5:23 pm

Check online first about the Berkshires. I think Tanglewood is only open in the summer months. There's a big "premium outlet mall" at Exit 2 off the Mass Pike, but personally, I'd rather poke my own eye out than go there. But, I'm not a big shopper.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Mon May 21, 2018 5:27 pm

Just a few miles off the route - go to Woodstock - not far from Kingston, NY.

hoops777

Post by hoops777 » Mon May 21, 2018 9:46 pm

Definitely checking out Woodstock.We love small towns.

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Mon May 21, 2018 10:34 pm

There's a pretty interesting town a few miles east of Newark and easily accessible by train. I forget its name. But if I remember correctly they have a baseball team, and I think Frank Sinatra and Billy Joel wrote songs about it. It's kind of like Albany but bigger. If you are flying from California and happen to be in Newark anyway, you might check it out.

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Mon May 21, 2018 10:39 pm

hoops777 wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 3:46 pm
Yes.

triceratop

Post by triceratop » Mon May 21, 2018 11:09 pm

protagonist wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 10:34 pm
There's a pretty interesting town a few miles east of Newark and easily accessible by train. I forget its name. But if I remember correctly they have a baseball team, and I think Frank Sinatra and Billy Joel wrote songs about it. It's kind of like Albany but bigger. If you are flying from California and happen to be in Newark anyway, you might check it out.
OP may be a factor tilter in picking cities to visit, forgoing big names like, i don't know, comparably, AAPL.
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."

AntsOnTheMarch

Post by AntsOnTheMarch » Tue May 22, 2018 5:59 am

protagonist wrote:
I would agree but I’d say NYC is a visit all by itself whereas the trip up to Albany can be turned into a string of discrete little stops along the way. Also, I believe the OP asked about small towns and that’s definitely not NYC.

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Tue May 22, 2018 8:06 am

AntsOnTheMarch wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 5:59 am
protagonist wrote:
I would agree but I’d say NYC is a visit all by itself whereas the trip up to Albany can be turned into a string of discrete little stops along the way. Also, I believe the OP asked about small towns and that’s definitely not NYC.
Well, it's worth a stopover for dinner anyway, even if just a pizza. 3000 miles is a long trip and you could get a really good pizza.

The entire Hudson valley is beautiful. The Berkshires are great. A scoot across the MA state border to check out what is going on at Mass MOCA in N Adams (with a nice brewpub with outdoor seating in the same gorgeous complex), or the Clark Art Institute in Williamstown, is worthwhile. There is also a lovely bike path that runs roughly from Pittsfield to Adams MA if you have a bike. In October most of the summer cultural stage events will be finished but it is worth checking schedules. The Adirondacks north of Albany are also very beautiful. I find Lake George a pretty setting but a bit of a tourist trap. If you like folk music there is a legendary spot in Saratoga called Caffe Lena.

alpenglow

Post by alpenglow » Tue May 22, 2018 10:13 am

Cold Spring, NY is a nice town. If you are interested in plants and gardening, nearby Stonecrop Gardens is one of the very best public gardens I've ever visited.

hoops777

Post by hoops777 » Tue May 22, 2018 11:00 am

protagonist wrote:
We spent Christmas in NY city a couple years ago when it was 70 plus degrees and another week there about 5 years ago,so we want to see the rest of the state.

hoops777

Post by hoops777 » Tue May 22, 2018 11:07 am

triceratop wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 11:09 pm
protagonist wrote:
OP may be a factor tilter in picking cities to visit, forgoing big names like, i don't know, comparably, AAPL.
I owned 400 shares of AAPL stock when it was at about 65 and sold it around 72.A brilliant move :moneybag

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Tue May 22, 2018 10:08 pm

hoops777 wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 11:07 am

I owned 400 shares of AAPL stock when it was at about 65 and sold it around 72.A brilliant move :moneybag
At least you made a profit.

I took a loss on one of those hot tech stocks. I forget which one....maybe Google or Apple or ? An automatic loss limit of 5 or 10% was triggered some time in the late 90s (laughing)

Do you feel better now?

eddot98

Post by eddot98 » Tue May 22, 2018 10:41 pm

If you are going for foliage season, be aware that hitting peak is not the easiest thing to do. In North Adams MA the Fall Foilage Parade is September 30 this year, but peak foilage isn’t usually for another week. Unfortunately, that’s around Columbus Day weekend, one of the busiest weekends of the year in the area. Peak foilage is earlier in the Adirondacks, later in the lower Hudson Valley.

Be forewarned, with peak foilage comes increased numbers of tourists and little availability of lodging and restaurants. There are numerous Fall Festivals, the Berkshire Garden Center in Stockbridge has one on Columbus Day weekend, car shows, craft fairs, and antique shows in your area of interest leading to increased congestion.

In September and later in October and early November there are fewer crowds, but less to do. Planning ahead is very important during your desired time frame.

Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta » Tue May 22, 2018 11:17 pm

hoops777 wrote:
Perhaps the Farmers Museum or Fenimore Art Museum are more to her taste? All three are in walking distance and there is a shuttle. Meet for dinner.

hoops777

Post by hoops777 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:51 pm

We made a change and will be flying into Boston and flying home from a Newark,spending 8 nights..So we will definitely spend a night in the Berkshires and also go see Saratoga Springs.
We are also going to Cooperstown and wondering where else to go in that area coming from Albany.Hamilton?We will spend one day going from Albany and back.

AlphaLess

Post by AlphaLess » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:02 pm

Go a bit north to Lake George, NY.
"You can get more with a kind word and a gun than with just a kind word." George Washington

dm200

Post by dm200 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:29 am

chabil wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 8:33 am
Visit the FDR library in Hyde park. Very interesting time, fascinating couple. Nicely done. Eat at the Culinary Institute.
Yes! An important part of US History.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:30 am

hoops777 wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:51 pm
We made a change and will be flying into Boston and flying home from a Newark,spending 8 nights..So we will definitely spend a night in the Berkshires and also go see Saratoga Springs.
We are also going to Cooperstown and wondering where else to go in that area coming from Albany.Hamilton?We will spend one day going from Albany and back.
The Baseball Hall of fame is wonderful.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:31 am

hoops777 wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 9:46 pm
Definitely checking out Woodstock.We love small towns.
Many decades ago, for a year I lived in Bearsville - several miles beyond Woodstock, so I drove through Woodstock twice every day..

hoops777

Post by hoops777 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:50 pm

Since we changed our trip and are coming in from Boston I have a couple questions.I think we are going to stay probably 3 nights in Albany as a base.Since we are going to Cooperstown in seems a waste to drive back to Albany so I guess we will head to Kingston from Cooperstown.Any suggestions on that route?
Also is one night enough in the Berkshires?
Basic plan.....
First night stay at Marriott by Logan airport because we get in after 8.
Second in Berkshires.
Nights 3,4, 5 in Albany.Will go to Saratoga Springs and Lake George.
Maybe 2 nights in Kingston.
We are left with 2 more nights before we fly home out of Newark.
We could add nights in any of the above locations or find a new one.We could also just go to Manhattan but have been there twice.
Any recommendations would be appreciated.
The Catskills?
Reason for Kingston is I thought a good base for the area.

RudyS

Post by RudyS » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:14 pm

Thinking about airport hotels: did you check what their price is to park your car? Will you be signing out the car that night, or wait till morning?

hoops777

Post by hoops777 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:21 pm

Rent the car next morning.The airport is about 1 1/2 miles and has shuttle.

Beehave

Post by Beehave » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:46 pm

Definitely take a hike to Kaaterskill Falls! Google it for directions. Painted famously by the Hudson School Artists.

eddot98

Post by eddot98 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:54 pm

<r><QUOTE author="hoops777" post_id="4056067" time="1533595808" user_id="25899"><s>
hoops777 wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:50 pm
</s>
Since we changed our trip and are coming in from Boston I have a couple questions.I think we are going to stay probably 3 nights in Albany as a base.Since we are going to Cooperstown in seems a waste to drive back to Albany so I guess we will head to Kingston from Cooperstown.Any suggestions on that route?<br/>
Also is one night enough in the Berkshires?<br/>
Basic plan.....<br/>
First night stay at Marriott by Logan airport because we get in after 8.<br/>
Second in Berkshires.<br/>
Nights 3,4, 5 in Albany.Will go to Saratoga Springs and Lake George.<br/>
Maybe 2 nights in Kingston.<br/>
We are left with 2 more nights before we fly home out of Newark.<br/>
We could add nights in any of the above locations or find a new one.We could also just go to Manhattan but have been there twice.<br/>
Any recommendations would be appreciated.<br/>
The Catskills?<br/>
Reason for Kingston is I thought a good base for the area.
<e>
</e></QUOTE>

Please see my earlier post about crowds in the areas you are visiting in October. Foliage season is short and lots of people are around to see it. Planning is very important. <br/>
From your itinerary it seems that you have visited Boston previously. If not, and you are a baseball fan, a visit to Fenway would be appropriate, but that depends on your dates and whether the Red Sox are stilll playing. One night in the Berkshires and 3 in Albany seems the reverse of what I would do. Albany has a few decent government buildings downtown, but the rest of the area is typical suburban sprawl with lots of traffic to boot. Why not stay at the Sagamore to really enjoy Lake George? From there it’s less than 1.5 hours to Lake Placid, an Olympic Village that’s one of the better small towns in eastern NY. The Sagamore is also 45 minutes to Saratoga. <br/>
If you do only one night in the Berkshires, stay in south county and concentrate on Great Barrington, Stockbridge, and Lenox, but they will be crowded on weekends. If you have more time, you can go to North Adams and Williamstown with their museums.</r>
Woodstock, NY is a nice, small town, but staying in Kingston for 2 nights isn’t anything I would do. Cooperstown is a nice town with a great old hotel, the Otesaga. Why not stay there a night? Certainly has more to offer than Kingston.
How about a quick trip up Route 7 in Mass to southern Vermont? You could go to Bennington, Manchester, and then over to Lake George.
Lots of great suggestions in this thread.

hoops777

Post by hoops777 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:24 pm

Thank you very much for the great suggestions.I am limited a bit because we stay in Marriotts because of points.Kingston had a couple Marriotts so I picked that simply as a place to sleep.Same with Albany.
Regarding Lake Placid,The problem is it almost 150 miles in the wrong direction and it looks like I would have to return the same way.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:52 pm

hoops777 wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:24 pm
Thank you very much for the great suggestions.I am limited a bit because we stay in Marriotts because of points.Kingston had a couple Marriotts so I picked that simply as a place to sleep.Same with Albany.
Regarding Lake Placid,The problem is it almost 150 miles in the wrong direction and it looks like I would have to return the same way.
it has been a long time - but I recall some nice places in the middle of the Catskills.

eddot98

Post by eddot98 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:28 pm

hoops777 wrote:
We have been the same way with Marriotts for many years, wife has lifetime Platinum status. You probably already know this, but there are 2 Marriott properties in Saratoga. IMO, it’s worth the extra miles to stay in Saratoga rather than in Albany. It’s a long day to drive from Saratoga to Lake Placid and return the same day, but how many times do you get to see a two time winter Olympic village, complete with ski jumps, gondolas to the top of Whiteface mountain, and a bobsled run? (since you live in California maybe you have gone to Squaw Valley). Also, the town is a real town and it’s worth a look. We spend a week there every February. Once you get off I-87, the ride through the Adirondacks is quite nice.

As far as the Berkshires go, the Lenox Courtyard is probably better than the Great Barrington Fairfield. The Courtyard was just built a few years ago as a Courtyard. The Fairfield was converted from a Comfort Inn.

Full disclosure, I worked in Albany from 1984 to 2010, but I live in the Berkshires. Easy 50 mile 1 hour commute each way.

sevenseas

Post by sevenseas » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:38 pm

Regarding the Catskills, there has been a recent resurgence in interest in some of the small farming towns in the Western Catskills (e.g. Delhi, Roscoe, Andes, Bovina, etc.) Specifically, millennials escaping NYC are opening artisanal restaurants, breweries/distilleries, hotels/inns, and generally helming a mini tourist boom in this region. I have not yet visited myself and am not sure if one needs to be a millennial to appreciate these, but you may be able to plan your drive from Cooperstown to Kingston to pass through this area. It is reputedly quite scenic and a different flavor than the more established towns to the east. Once you are in Kingston, it is an easy trip to Woodstock, Saugerties, and Rhinebeck (I'd recommend them all as they each have their own unique charm).

The Berkshires area is also SO nice. I love it all, both Northern and Southern. Scenery, culture, history. If you have some extra nights to spare, I personally would recommend tacking on another day in this region.

hoops777

Post by hoops777 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:44 pm

eddot98 wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:28 pm
hoops777 wrote:
We have been the same way with Marriotts for many years, wife has lifetime Platinum status. You probably already know this, but there are 2 Marriott properties in Saratoga. IMO, it’s worth the extra miles to stay in Saratoga rather than in Albany. It’s a long day to drive from Saratoga to Lake Placid and return the same day, but how many times do you get to see a two time winter Olympic village, complete with ski jumps, gondolas to the top of Whiteface mountain, and a bobsled run? (since you live in California maybe you have gone to Squaw Valley). Also, the town is a real town and it’s worth a look. We spend a week there every February. Once you get off I-87, the ride through the Adirondacks is quite nice.

As far as the Berkshires go, the Lenox Courtyard is probably better than the Great Barrington Fairfield. The Courtyard was just built a few years ago as a Courtyard. The Fairfield was converted from a Comfort Inn.

Full disclosure, I worked in Albany from 1984 to 2010, but I live in the Berkshires. Easy 50 mile 1 hour commute each way.
Thank you.Do you think two nights is good for the Berkshires?We have 7 nights to stay in the area between the Berkshires and West Point.We may go to Lake Placid,but we just saw Park City Utah and the Olympic site.

hoops777

Post by hoops777 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:47 pm

sevenseas wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:38 pm
Regarding the Catskills, there has been a recent resurgence in interest in some of the small farming towns in the Western Catskills (e.g. Delhi, Roscoe, Andes, Bovina, etc.) Specifically, millennials escaping NYC are opening artisanal restaurants, breweries/distilleries, hotels/inns, and generally helming a mini tourist boom in this region. I have not yet visited myself and am not sure if one needs to be a millennial to appreciate these, but you may be able to plan your drive from Cooperstown to Kingston to pass through this area. It is reputedly quite scenic and a different flavor than the more established towns to the east. Once you are in Kingston, it is an easy trip to Woodstock, Saugerties, and Rhinebeck (I'd recommend them all as they each have their own unique charm).

The Berkshires area is also SO nice. I love it all, both Northern and Southern. Scenery, culture, history. If you have some extra nights to spare, I personally would recommend tacking on another day in this region.
Thanks.Will definitely go to all.

hoops777

Post by hoops777 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:49 pm

hoops777 wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:44 pm
eddot98 wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:28 pm
hoops777 wrote:

Thank you.Do you think two nights is good for the Berkshires?We have 7 nights to stay in the area between the Berkshires and West Point.We may go to Lake Placid,but we just saw Park City Utah and the Olympic site.
What do you think is the best city to spend the most nights to use like a gateway to go back and forth from?

eddot98

Post by eddot98 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:12 pm

Let’s think about this. A lot depends on your interests. In south Berkshire county you could spend time wandering around the 3 towns of Great Barrington, Lenox, and Stockbridge. There’s touristy independent shops and good restaurants. There’s the Norman Rockwell museum, Naumkeg, the Red Lion Inn, and the home of Daniel Chester French in Stockbridge. Lenox has the Edith Wharton estate (the Mount) and Tanglewood, but that won’t be open. A little further up the road into Pittsfield is the Herman Melville home/museum.
North county has Mount Greylock and its state park if you want to hike. The Appalachian Trail goes right over it. Williamstown is a nice college town and Williams College has an excellent museum of art. Also the Clark Art museum is there with some of the best impressionist paintings in the world. North Adams has the Mass Museum of Contemporary Art, a huge complex with large installations. No Marriotts in north county, but it’s only an hour from Lenox.
It will take you 2.5 hours to get from Boston to the Berkshires, so judge your time accordingly.
I suggest 1 night in Boston, unless you have not been there before then all bets are off, 3 nights in the Berkshires, 2 nights in Saratoga, and 2 nights in Kingston. That lets you explore the Berkshires, get to Saratoga and Lake George, go to the baseball hall of fame, and then to the Catskills and West Point.
Just my 2 cents. You still miss Hyde Park and the FDR library and the Vanderbilt Mansion. Also, you may want to consider Olana just south of Hudson, NY.

hoops777

Post by hoops777 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:01 pm

eddot98 wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:12 pm
Let’s think about this. A lot depends on your interests. In south Berkshire county you could spend time wandering around the 3 towns of Great Barrington, Lenox, and Stockbridge. There’s touristy independent shops and good restaurants. There’s the Norman Rockwell museum, Naumkeg, the Red Lion Inn, and the home of Daniel Chester French in Stockbridge. Lenox has the Edith Wharton estate (the Mount) and Tanglewood, but that won’t be open. A little further up the road into Pittsfield is the Herman Melville home/museum.
North county has Mount Greylock and its state park if you want to hike. The Appalachian Trail goes right over it. Williamstown is a nice college town and Williams College has an excellent museum of art. Also the Clark Art museum is there with some of the best impressionist paintings in the world. North Adams has the Mass Museum of Contemporary Art, a huge complex with large installations. No Marriotts in north county, but it’s only an hour from Lenox.
It will take you 2.5 hours to get from Boston to the Berkshires, so judge your time accordingly.
I suggest 1 night in Boston, unless you have not been there before then all bets are off, 3 nights in the Berkshires, 2 nights in Saratoga, and 2 nights in Kingston. That lets you explore the Berkshires, get to Saratoga and Lake George, go to the baseball hall of fame, and then to the Catskills and West Point.
Just my 2 cents. You still miss Hyde Park and the FDR library and the Vanderbilt Mansion. Also, you may want to consider Olana just south of Hudson, NY.
Thanks so much.I think we could still visit Hyde Park from Kingston.It says 25 miles.Anyway,you really made things much clearer for me.

hoops777

Post by hoops777 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:10 pm

Op here.Finishing our hotel reservations for our trip.One last question.I was thinking of visiting Princeton on our last day.Is it worth the extra time and travel?We would have to get there on a Saturday afternoon and then drive to the Marriott by the airport to stay Saturday night.We would be coming from the Tarrytown area.Thanks and Thanks again for all of the great info :happy

dm200

Post by dm200 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:08 pm

hoops777 wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 4:26 pm
I know I keep changing my mind but I believe I have settled on this after reading all the suggestions.
We are flying from Calif to DC and spending 5 nights.We are then flying from DC to Albany and renting a car.We will drive from that area to Newark airport and fly home.I got a good deal on a one way car rental for $265.I really want to see the Hudson valley area and have seen Manhattan twice,so we will eliminate that.We will have from 2 pm Sunday until Friday to explore the Albany/Hudson Valley area and drive back to Newark.
I would put Hyde Park (Franklin Roosevelt home) high on my priority list.

go_mets

Post by go_mets » Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:58 pm

hoops777 wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:10 pm
Op here.Finishing our hotel reservations for our trip.One last question.I was thinking of visiting Princeton on our last day.Is it worth the extra time and travel?We would have to get there on a Saturday afternoon and then drive to the Marriott by the airport to stay Saturday night.We would be coming from the Tarrytown area.Thanks and Thanks again for all of the great info :happy
I would have no interest in visiting Princeton University even if I did not live 30 minutes away.
Not my kind of thing.

Any reason why you are interested?

dm200

Post by dm200 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:04 pm

hoops777 wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:01 pm
eddot98 wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:12 pm
Thanks so much.I think we could still visit Hyde Park from Kingston.It says 25 miles.Anyway,you really made things much clearer for me.
Hyde Park is still at the top of my list - and maybe the Vanderbilt Mansion - to see how that level lived.