Road trip Newark NJ to Albany

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
hoops777

Re: Road trip Newark NJ to Albany

Post by hoops777 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:47 pm

go_mets wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:58 pm
hoops777 wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:10 pm
Op here.Finishing our hotel reservations for our trip.One last question.I was thinking of visiting Princeton on our last day.Is it worth the extra time and travel?We would have to get there on a Saturday afternoon and then drive to the Marriott by the airport to stay Saturday night.We would be coming from the Tarrytown area.Thanks and Thanks again for all of the great info :happy
I would have no interest in visiting Princeton University even if I did not live 30 minutes away.
Not my kind of thing.

Any reason why you are interested?

Well I guess because it is one of the best schools in the world and I heard it has a really nice campus.We visited Harvard last year on a trip to Boston and have visited Duke and Norte Dame along with others.I always like to see the major universities if in the area traveling,why not?
K.I.S.S........so easy to say so difficult to do.

hoops777

Post by hoops777 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:49 pm

dm200 wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:04 pm
hoops777 wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:01 pm
eddot98 wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:12 pm
Let’s think about this. A lot depends on your interests. In south Berkshire county you could spend time wandering around the 3 towns of Great Barrington, Lenox, and Stockbridge. There’s touristy independent shops and good restaurants. There’s the Norman Rockwell museum, Naumkeg, the Red Lion Inn, and the home of Daniel Chester French in Stockbridge. Lenox has the Edith Wharton estate (the Mount) and Tanglewood, but that won’t be open. A little further up the road into Pittsfield is the Herman Melville home/museum.
North county has Mount Greylock and its state park if you want to hike. The Appalachian Trail goes right over it. Williamstown is a nice college town and Williams College has an excellent museum of art. Also the Clark Art museum is there with some of the best impressionist paintings in the world. North Adams has the Mass Museum of Contemporary Art, a huge complex with large installations. No Marriotts in north county, but it’s only an hour from Lenox.
It will take you 2.5 hours to get from Boston to the Berkshires, so judge your time accordingly.
I suggest 1 night in Boston, unless you have not been there before then all bets are off, 3 nights in the Berkshires, 2 nights in Saratoga, and 2 nights in Kingston. That lets you explore the Berkshires, get to Saratoga and Lake George, go to the baseball hall of fame, and then to the Catskills and West Point.
Just my 2 cents. You still miss Hyde Park and the FDR library and the Vanderbilt Mansion. Also, you may want to consider Olana just south of Hudson, NY.
Thanks so much.I think we could still visit Hyde Park from Kingston.It says 25 miles.Anyway,you really made things much clearer for me.
Hyde Park is still at the top of my list - and maybe the Vanderbilt Mansion - to see how that level lived.
Already have a reservation at one of the Culinary Institute restaurants :D

go_mets

Post by go_mets » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:46 pm

hoops777 wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:47 pm
go_mets wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:58 pm
hoops777 wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:10 pm
Op here.Finishing our hotel reservations for our trip.One last question.I was thinking of visiting Princeton on our last day.Is it worth the extra time and travel?We would have to get there on a Saturday afternoon and then drive to the Marriott by the airport to stay Saturday night.We would be coming from the Tarrytown area.Thanks and Thanks again for all of the great info :happy
I would have no interest in visiting Princeton University even if I did not live 30 minutes away.
Not my kind of thing.

Any reason why you are interested?

Well I guess because it is one of the best schools in the world and I heard it has a really nice campus.We visited Harvard last year on a trip to Boston and have visited Duke and Norte Dame along with others.I always like to see the major universities if in the area traveling,why not?
I have been to the McCarter Theater and RIchard Auditorium on their campus.
It didn't seem that much different than a typical large suburban college campus.

hoops777

Post by hoops777 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:38 pm

Well we just got back from our trip.16 hotel nights and 24 hours on airplanes.Paris was awesome but will skip that because this thread was not
about Paris.
Here is my take on the various places we saw.
Berkshires.....Beautiful scenery but the towns were much smaller than anticipated.Nice but not great.
Saratoga Springs...very nice but one day was sufficient
Lake George....Nice and also a little less than expected
Albany.....Just visited the state capitol
Kingston and Hyde Park Area.....We liked it.Saw the FDR and Vanderbilt estates and ate lunch at the Culinary Institute.Saw the Pedestrian Bridge but it was raining.Walked around Vassar for a brief stop.
Liked Woodstock and went to Katerskill Falls upper viewing area which was nice.
Tarrytown was nice and Sleepy Hollow was a disappointment.
Lucked into visiting Stew Leonard’s Market in Yonkers which is awesome if a market can be called awesome.
West Point was really great to see and drive through.
Fun trip and glad we got to see the other part of NY.
Thanks again.
Last edited by hoops777 on Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:46 pm

hoops777 wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:38 pm
Well we just got back from our trip.16 hotel nights and 24 hours on airplanes.Paris was awesome but will skip that because this thread was not
about Paris.
Here is my take on the various places we saw.
Berkshires.....Beautiful scenery but the towns were much smaller than anticipated.Nice but not great.
Saratoga Springs...very nice but one day was sufficient
Lake George....Nice and also a little less than expected
Albany.....Just visited the state capitol
Kingston and Hyde Park Area.....We limed it.Saw the FDR and Vanderbilt estates and ate lunch at the Culinary Institute.Saw the Pedestrian Bridge but it was raining.Walked around Vassar for a brief stop.
Liked Woodstock and went to Katerskill Falls upper viewing area which was nice.
Tarrytown was nice and Sleepy Hollow was a disappointment.
Lucked into visiting Stew Leonard’s Market in Yonkers which is awesome if a market can be called awesome.
West Point was really great to see and drive through.
Fun trip and glad we got to see the other part of NY.
Thanks again.
Two places I lived almost 50 years ago - for a few years.

rvflyer

Post by rvflyer » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:27 am

Not suggesting changing any plans for this but a point of info for all in future. There is some limited airline service to Newburgh, NY (Stewart AFB) provided by several carriers. Most involve a connection to get there. Might be a good option for some depending on where you live--especially if your destination is a West Point football game.

Agree with contributor who said that the views of NYC,etc on the way into Newark are not to be missed if you have a window seat. Spectacular, especially for first timers!