Road trip Newark NJ to Albany

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
hoops777
Posts: 2236
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:23 pm

Road trip Newark NJ to Albany

Post by hoops777 » Thu May 17, 2018 11:07 pm

Thinking of flying to Newark in October and driving up to the Albany area.We like small towns and nice scenery.Any suggestions would be appreciated.Will spend a week and fly back home from Newark or maybe do a one way car rental and fly home from another airport back to California
K.I.S.S........so easy to say so difficult to do.

rgs92
Posts: 1895
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:00 pm

Re: Road trip Newark NJ to Albany

Post by rgs92 » Thu May 17, 2018 11:19 pm

Woodstock is nice. Newburgh/Beacon is also much better than it used to be. One way car rentals tend to be expensive and it's not a very long drive, so I would just do a round trip by car from Newark to Albany. Take Route 17 in NJ to the Thruway (Route 287/87) up to Albany.
Also check out the Gov't buildings in Albany and the Capitol building there. It's very impressive. Almost like DC.
Last edited by rgs92 on Thu May 17, 2018 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tibbitts
Posts: 7608
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:50 pm

Re: Road trip Newark NJ to Albany

Post by tibbitts » Thu May 17, 2018 11:21 pm

hoops777 wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 11:07 pm
Thinking of flying to Newark in October and driving up to the Albany area.We like small towns and nice scenery.Any suggestions would be appreciated.Will spend a week and fly back home from Newark or maybe do a one way car rental and fly home from another airport back to California
Why fly to, or worse yet to and from, Newark? Newark airport isn't exactly "small towns and nice scenery" unless you're really into... oh, giant oil tanks.

rgs92
Posts: 1895
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:00 pm

Re: Road trip Newark NJ to Albany

Post by rgs92 » Thu May 17, 2018 11:26 pm

It can be very grand and unforgettable around Newark airport. Everyone should see it once to experience it. It really is one of the 7+ wonders of the world. It's actually quite thrilling and breathtaking. Don't miss it if you have never seen it.
So many lanes and signs and an amazing landscape of man-made and natural creations.

jrbdmb
Posts: 251
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:27 pm

Re: Road trip Newark NJ to Albany

Post by jrbdmb » Thu May 17, 2018 11:39 pm

But if your goal is to get to Albany, probably easier to fly into Newark and take the Garden State Parkway north than to deal with LaGuardia and NYC traffic.

If you aren't in a rush to get to Albany, I always found route 9 (east side of the Hudson River) was a nice scenic drive, esp. the parts that hug the Hudson. On the way you can stop in Hyde Park and the FDR estate, and pass through other interesting towns.

22twain
Posts: 1370
Joined: Thu May 10, 2012 5:42 pm

Re: Road trip Newark NJ to Albany

Post by 22twain » Fri May 18, 2018 3:24 am

On the west side of the river, take the road between West Point and Newburgh that hugs the east side of Storm King Mountain. There's a place where you can pull off and enjoy spectacular views up and down the Hudson River.
My investing princiPLEs do not include absolutely preserving princiPAL.

User avatar
dodecahedron
Posts: 3584
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:28 pm

Re: Road trip Newark NJ to Albany

Post by dodecahedron » Fri May 18, 2018 4:01 am

jrbdmb wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 11:39 pm
But if your goal is to get to Albany, probably easier to fly into Newark and take the Garden State Parkway north than to deal with LaGuardia and NYC traffic.

If you aren't in a rush to get to Albany, I always found route 9 (east side of the Hudson River) was a nice scenic drive, esp. the parts that hug the Hudson. On the way you can stop in Hyde Park and the FDR estate, and pass through other interesting towns.
For even more scenic relaxing ride that hugs the river even more, just take Amtrak. Very relaxing watching the river roll by and especially gorgeous in October due to foliage. And no worries about one way car rental drop off fee if you decide just to do it one way. Several picturesque towns where you can stopover along the way. Amtrak has a station at Newark airport. You will need to transfer in NYC.

Jack FFR1846
Posts: 7011
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:05 am

Re: Road trip Newark NJ to Albany

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Fri May 18, 2018 5:34 am

rgs92 wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 11:26 pm
It can be very grand and unforgettable around Newark airport. Everyone should see it once to experience it. It really is one of the 7+ wonders of the world. It's actually quite thrilling and breathtaking. Don't miss it if you have never seen it.
So many lanes and signs and an amazing landscape of man-made and natural creations.
And the prize for satire goes to.......


Been there, done that.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

Jags4186
Posts: 2114
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:12 pm

Re: Road trip Newark NJ to Albany

Post by Jags4186 » Fri May 18, 2018 5:48 am

Keep going past Albany and go to Lake George/Lake Champlain/Ticonderoga area.

gips
Posts: 360
Joined: Mon May 13, 2013 5:42 pm

Re: Road trip Newark NJ to Albany

Post by gips » Fri May 18, 2018 7:07 am

hudson ny is worth visiting if you like antiques. Depending on timing, suggest you visit saratoga race track (the flat track, not the harness track).

User avatar
TomatoTomahto
Posts: 7296
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:48 pm

Re: Road trip Newark NJ to Albany

Post by TomatoTomahto » Fri May 18, 2018 7:33 am

rgs92 wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 11:26 pm
It can be very grand and unforgettable around Newark airport. Everyone should see it once to experience it. It really is one of the 7+ wonders of the world. It's actually quite thrilling and breathtaking. Don't miss it if you have never seen it.
So many lanes and signs and an amazing landscape of man-made and natural creations.
🤪

I lived 10 minutes from Newark airport for 30+ years. I recently moved out of state. You couldn’t get me to go back to Newark with a shotgun.

I have a son attending school in Saratoga Springs New York. That’s a lovely town.

likegarden
Posts: 2593
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:33 pm

Re: Road trip Newark NJ to Albany

Post by likegarden » Fri May 18, 2018 7:43 am

I live around Albany, and agree that north of Albany is very nice, Lake George, lake Champlain, Hudson river, Saratoga Springs,etc.
But do not knock Newark - When I came to the US 50 years ago my plane landed in JFK, and I took a ride on a Chinook helicopter past Manhattan to Newark, scenery was great landing on the Battery in front of Manhattan skyscrapers and then fly past Statue of Liberty to Newark airport.

Herbert
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:37 am
Location: Richmond, VA

Re: Road trip Newark NJ to Albany

Post by Herbert » Fri May 18, 2018 7:58 am

I agree with the Saratoga Springs and Lake George recommendations. Grew up outside of Albany, New York and the fall is a great time to visit! :beer

bklyn96
Posts: 141
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:12 am

Re: Road trip Newark NJ to Albany

Post by bklyn96 » Fri May 18, 2018 8:03 am

jrbdmb wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 11:39 pm
....Hyde Park and the FDR estate....
+1

You can easily spend a full day in this area.

The library and museum: https://fdrlibrary.org/museum

Eleanor Roosevelt's cottage: https://www.nps.gov/nr/travel/president ... lkill.html

chabil
Posts: 508
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:38 pm
Location: North of Boston

Re: Road trip Newark NJ to Albany

Post by chabil » Fri May 18, 2018 8:33 am

Visit the FDR library in Hyde park. Very interesting time, fascinating couple. Nicely done. Eat at the Culinary Institute.

knowledge
Posts: 107
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:44 pm

Re: Road trip Newark NJ to Albany

Post by knowledge » Fri May 18, 2018 8:44 am

The north-south approach into EWR has a phenomenal view of the city, so aim for a window seat on the left side and hope for clear weather. Aside from that, leave Newark immediately once you land.

The river towns along the Hudson are quaint, but I feel they're more on the east side of the Hudson.

RudyS
Posts: 1144
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:11 am

Re: Road trip Newark NJ to Albany

Post by RudyS » Fri May 18, 2018 8:50 am

It's a but touristy, but Howe Caverns are close to Albany. Smaller kids? Catskill Game Farm. I've done those with my parents when I was a kid,and then again with our grandkids.

You might consider flying into Albany and taking the round trip by car from there. Depends on fares/rental cost/schedule but it's a possibility.

hoops777
Posts: 2236
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:23 pm

Re: Road trip Newark NJ to Albany

Post by hoops777 » Fri May 18, 2018 11:27 am

Thanks for the replies.The reason for flying to Newark from Calif is SWA has non stop flights.I could fly to Albany but it takes about 4 more hours and terrible flight times.I also figured there would be something to see on the drive to and from.We may consider the train.We have been to Manhattan a couple times but have never seen the other parts of NY.
K.I.S.S........so easy to say so difficult to do.

EddyB
Posts: 487
Joined: Fri May 24, 2013 3:43 pm

Re: Road trip Newark NJ to Albany

Post by EddyB » Fri May 18, 2018 11:34 am

hoops777 wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 11:27 am
Thanks for the replies.The reason for flying to Newark from Calif is SWA has non stop flights.I could fly to Albany but it takes about 4 more hours and terrible flight times.I also figured there would be something to see on the drive to and from.We may consider the train.We have been to Manhattan a couple times but have never seen the other parts of NY.
If they fly direct to Boston, too, that may make for a better drive (assuming Albany is the required ultimate destination).

Grt2bOutdoors
Posts: 18447
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:20 pm
Location: New York

Re: Road trip Newark NJ to Albany

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Fri May 18, 2018 11:44 am

jrbdmb wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 11:39 pm
But if your goal is to get to Albany, probably easier to fly into Newark and take the Garden State Parkway north than to deal with LaGuardia and NYC traffic.

If you aren't in a rush to get to Albany, I always found route 9 (east side of the Hudson River) was a nice scenic drive, esp. the parts that hug the Hudson. On the way you can stop in Hyde Park and the FDR estate, and pass through other interesting towns.
If you're going to do that, stop at the Culinary Institute of America in Hyde Park for lunch. Check out the website, they have sit down restaurants (reservations needed) or you can stop by Apple PIe Bakery for gourmet sandwiches, grab some Apple Pie before its all gone. http://www.ciarestaurantgroup.com/new-york-restaurants/

There are some nearby wineries - Millbrook (if you like reds) - if interested in a side trip.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

Grt2bOutdoors
Posts: 18447
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:20 pm
Location: New York

Re: Road trip Newark NJ to Albany

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Fri May 18, 2018 11:52 am

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 7:33 am
rgs92 wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 11:26 pm
It can be very grand and unforgettable around Newark airport. Everyone should see it once to experience it. It really is one of the 7+ wonders of the world. It's actually quite thrilling and breathtaking. Don't miss it if you have never seen it.
So many lanes and signs and an amazing landscape of man-made and natural creations.
🤪

I lived 10 minutes from Newark airport for 30+ years. I recently moved out of state. You couldn’t get me to go back to Newark with a shotgun.

I have a son attending school in Saratoga Springs New York. That’s a lovely town.
Not even for Portugese food in the Ironbound?
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

Grt2bOutdoors
Posts: 18447
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:20 pm
Location: New York

Re: Road trip Newark NJ to Albany

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Fri May 18, 2018 11:54 am

dodecahedron wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 4:01 am
jrbdmb wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 11:39 pm
But if your goal is to get to Albany, probably easier to fly into Newark and take the Garden State Parkway north than to deal with LaGuardia and NYC traffic.

If you aren't in a rush to get to Albany, I always found route 9 (east side of the Hudson River) was a nice scenic drive, esp. the parts that hug the Hudson. On the way you can stop in Hyde Park and the FDR estate, and pass through other interesting towns.
For even more scenic relaxing ride that hugs the river even more, just take Amtrak. Very relaxing watching the river roll by and especially gorgeous in October due to foliage. And no worries about one way car rental drop off fee if you decide just to do it one way. Several picturesque towns where you can stopover along the way. Amtrak has a station at Newark airport. You will need to transfer in NYC.
Don't do it! The tunnel from NJ to NYC is rife with problems, there is not a week that goes by when there is not some kind of delay due to the infamous "Amtrak tunnel". The tunnel is and will be under construction for an indefinite period of time and it is shared by NJ Transit trains.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

User avatar
triceratop
Moderator
Posts: 5100
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:20 pm
Location: la la land

Re: Road trip Newark NJ to Albany

Post by triceratop » Fri May 18, 2018 12:03 pm

Grt2bOutdoors wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 11:52 am
TomatoTomahto wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 7:33 am
rgs92 wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 11:26 pm
It can be very grand and unforgettable around Newark airport. Everyone should see it once to experience it. It really is one of the 7+ wonders of the world. It's actually quite thrilling and breathtaking. Don't miss it if you have never seen it.
So many lanes and signs and an amazing landscape of man-made and natural creations.
🤪

I lived 10 minutes from Newark airport for 30+ years. I recently moved out of state. You couldn’t get me to go back to Newark with a shotgun.

I have a son attending school in Saratoga Springs New York. That’s a lovely town.
Not even for Portugese food in the Ironbound?
I lived in Newark for four years; Passing through Newark is worth it for the Ironbound.

Still, I'd bring a pair of jogging sneakers in case that exit route is needed. ;)
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."

chw
Posts: 431
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 4:22 pm

Re: Road trip Newark NJ to Albany

Post by chw » Fri May 18, 2018 12:41 pm

About 1/2 hour north of Albany is the town of Saratoga Springs. It is a resort type town. The horse track is closed that time of year, but the area is full of other types of attractions, venues to visit. A search of Trip Advisor should give you ideas.

DarthSage
Posts: 195
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:39 am

Re: Road trip Newark NJ to Albany

Post by DarthSage » Fri May 18, 2018 1:14 pm

RudyS wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 8:50 am
It's a but touristy, but Howe Caverns are close to Albany. Smaller kids? Catskill Game Farm. I've done those with my parents when I was a kid,and then again with our grandkids.

You might consider flying into Albany and taking the round trip by car from there. Depends on fares/rental cost/schedule but it's a possibility.
Catskill Game Farm closed years ago.

Also, the Saratoga Race Track (flat track) is only open in the summer time. The harness track is open year-round, and was a racino last I knew. We moved out of Saratoga County 10 years ago.

OP, if you are interested in scenic vistas, north of Albany/Saratoga is very beautiful that time of year. Plus, it's off-season, so no crowds. Expect the weather to be cool but pleasant--maybe 60 degrees or so.

Unfortunately, there are no great airports in the region--NYC area or Boston. You could give consideration to Manchester, NH airport--it would be a 4-hour drive to the Albany area, but the drive is easy and pleasant. IMHO, it's the pick of the litter, in terms of ease of navigation and access. Bradley (Hartford) might also be worth looking at. That's more of a 2-3 hour drive, mostly along the Mass Pike, which moves along easily (with nice views in October, too).

Hockey10
Posts: 231
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:20 pm
Location: Philadelphia suburbs

Re: Road trip Newark NJ to Albany

Post by Hockey10 » Fri May 18, 2018 1:21 pm

Be sure to stop by at West Point. There is a beautiful view of the Hudson from campus. They have a tour bus that drives visitors around campus.

User avatar
TheGreyingDuke
Posts: 1459
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:34 am

Re: Road trip Newark NJ to Albany

Post by TheGreyingDuke » Fri May 18, 2018 1:32 pm

http://stormking.org/visit/

Very nice outdoor sculpture park, an hour north of the city.
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells

Grt2bOutdoors
Posts: 18447
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:20 pm
Location: New York

Re: Road trip Newark NJ to Albany

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Fri May 18, 2018 1:43 pm

triceratop wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 12:03 pm
Grt2bOutdoors wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 11:52 am
TomatoTomahto wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 7:33 am
rgs92 wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 11:26 pm
It can be very grand and unforgettable around Newark airport. Everyone should see it once to experience it. It really is one of the 7+ wonders of the world. It's actually quite thrilling and breathtaking. Don't miss it if you have never seen it.
So many lanes and signs and an amazing landscape of man-made and natural creations.
🤪

I lived 10 minutes from Newark airport for 30+ years. I recently moved out of state. You couldn’t get me to go back to Newark with a shotgun.

I have a son attending school in Saratoga Springs New York. That’s a lovely town.
Not even for Portugese food in the Ironbound?
I lived in Newark for four years; Passing through Newark is worth it for the Ironbound.

Still, I'd bring a pair of jogging sneakers in case that exit route is needed. ;)
Are you suggesting running up Rte 21? Usually they are running the "hot cars" down it to the chop shops. :wink:
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

User avatar
dodecahedron
Posts: 3584
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:28 pm

Re: Road trip Newark NJ to Albany

Post by dodecahedron » Sat May 19, 2018 7:29 am

Grt2bOutdoors wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 11:54 am
dodecahedron wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 4:01 am
For even more scenic relaxing ride that hugs the river even more, just take Amtrak. Very relaxing watching the river roll by and especially gorgeous in October due to foliage. And no worries about one way car rental drop off fee if you decide just to do it one way. Several picturesque towns where you can stopover along the way. Amtrak has a station at Newark airport. You will need to transfer in NYC.
Don't do it! The tunnel from NJ to NYC is rife with problems, there is not a week that goes by when there is not some kind of delay due to the infamous "Amtrak tunnel". The tunnel is and will be under construction for an indefinite period of time and it is shared by NJ Transit trains.
Okay, I haven't done the NJ to NYC leg lately. Maybe take some other form of public transit/airport shuttle from Newark to Penn Station or Grand Central (trains for Albany currently leave from both stations at the moment), then take Amtrak the rest of the way? The scenic part of the route is north of NYC anyway.

gips
Posts: 360
Joined: Mon May 13, 2013 5:42 pm

Re: Road trip Newark NJ to Albany

Post by gips » Sat May 19, 2018 10:01 am

just had another thought, you might want to do an overnight at lake placid. great hiking from the Adirondack lodge, nice hotels, restaurants, walk around town, tour the Olympic center and ice rink where "the miracle" occurred.

User avatar
dm200
Posts: 16319
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: Washington DC area

Re: Road trip Newark NJ to Albany

Post by dm200 » Sat May 19, 2018 10:39 am

Route 9 or 9W -

Kingston NY was the original capital of NY State.

Franklin Roosevelt home at Hyde Park..

des
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:46 pm

Re: Road trip Newark NJ to Albany

Post by des » Sat May 19, 2018 11:27 am

Grt2bOutdoors wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 1:43 pm
triceratop wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 12:03 pm
Grt2bOutdoors wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 11:52 am
TomatoTomahto wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 7:33 am
rgs92 wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 11:26 pm
It can be very grand and unforgettable around Newark airport. Everyone should see it once to experience it. It really is one of the 7+ wonders of the world. It's actually quite thrilling and breathtaking. Don't miss it if you have never seen it.
So many lanes and signs and an amazing landscape of man-made and natural creations.
🤪

I lived 10 minutes from Newark airport for 30+ years. I recently moved out of state. You couldn’t get me to go back to Newark with a shotgun.

I have a son attending school in Saratoga Springs New York. That’s a lovely town.
Not even for Portugese food in the Ironbound?
I lived in Newark for four years; Passing through Newark is worth it for the Ironbound.

Still, I'd bring a pair of jogging sneakers in case that exit route is needed. ;)
Are you suggesting running up Rte 21? Usually they are running the "hot cars" down it to the chop shops. :wink:
There are a few terrible comments in this thread. There is poverty in Newark, but also many wonderful honest people. Please check bias and casual racism before you post on Bogleheads. Putting this distraction aside.

You have lots of good advice for a wonderful trip.

hoops777
Posts: 2236
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:23 pm

Re: Road trip Newark NJ to Albany

Post by hoops777 » Sat May 19, 2018 11:30 am

Thanks to all for great suggestions :happy
K.I.S.S........so easy to say so difficult to do.

sevenseas
Posts: 176
Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 8:44 am

Re: Road trip Newark NJ to Albany

Post by sevenseas » Sat May 19, 2018 1:07 pm

That whole region of NY State (Hudson River Valley) is beautiful and should be spectacular (fall foliage) in October. In general, west of the Hudson River is more rustic, mountainous (e.g. Catskills); east of Hudson (e.g. Rhinebeck) a bit more affluent, pastoral. Both equally beautiful in my eyes. Woodstock and Saugerties (west), Rhinebeck (east) all wonderful small towns with shopping, restaurants, scenic environs. Very easy to criss cross to either side too so no need to choose one over the other if you have an entire week (unless you plan to explore north of Albany which will limit your time). The Berkshire Mtn area of western Mass is also quite close by and amazing as well, esp towns of Great Barrington, Stockbridge, Lenox, etc. Wherever in the area you end up, it will be the quintessential Northeast autumn experience. Have a great trip!

Grt2bOutdoors
Posts: 18447
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:20 pm
Location: New York

Re: Road trip Newark NJ to Albany

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Sat May 19, 2018 1:10 pm

des wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 11:27 am
Grt2bOutdoors wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 1:43 pm
triceratop wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 12:03 pm
Grt2bOutdoors wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 11:52 am
TomatoTomahto wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 7:33 am

🤪

I lived 10 minutes from Newark airport for 30+ years. I recently moved out of state. You couldn’t get me to go back to Newark with a shotgun.

I have a son attending school in Saratoga Springs New York. That’s a lovely town.
Not even for Portugese food in the Ironbound?
I lived in Newark for four years; Passing through Newark is worth it for the Ironbound.

Still, I'd bring a pair of jogging sneakers in case that exit route is needed. ;)
Are you suggesting running up Rte 21? Usually they are running the "hot cars" down it to the chop shops. :wink:
There are a few terrible comments in this thread. There is poverty in Newark, but also many wonderful honest people. Please check bias and casual racism before you post on Bogleheads. Putting this distraction aside.

You have lots of good advice for a wonderful trip.
I have no bias in this post, was down in Newark last week, it’s perfectly safe to visit Newark and yes, there are many wonderful people who work and reside there. Unfortunately there is poverty all around, failures of society and government.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

tibbitts
Posts: 7608
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:50 pm

Re: Road trip Newark NJ to Albany

Post by tibbitts » Sat May 19, 2018 3:53 pm

hoops777 wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 11:27 am
Thanks for the replies.The reason for flying to Newark from Calif is SWA has non stop flights.I could fly to Albany but it takes about 4 more hours and terrible flight times.I also figured there would be something to see on the drive to and from.We may consider the train.We have been to Manhattan a couple times but have never seen the other parts of NY.
Maybe it's just me but I'd rather get off the plane for a few hours and hang out in an airport rather than fly non-stop across the country. Actually two hours is kind of my comfort limit for being in an airplane. I did five-plus hours once but was starting to look longingly at the emergency exit handle by then. But I'll admit there are places you just don't want to go on Southwest, the routes are too horrible, which is why I still use other airlines sometimes. I'd almost look for an airport you can get to with a nice layover on southwest if there are any - maybe Manchester or one of the New England airports?

hoops777
Posts: 2236
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:23 pm

Re: Road trip Newark NJ to Albany

Post by hoops777 » Sat May 19, 2018 4:07 pm

To me the more stops the more potential problems.

We have now changed our trip!We are flying to DC and then flying to Albany.We plan on renting a car for a couple days and then take the train to NYC and stay there for a couple days.We leave on Tuesday and return home the following week on Friday.
So still to be worked out...5 days in DC,2 or 3 days Albany and 2 or 3 days NYC.We can fly from DC to Albany in a little over an hour for the same basic cost as the train.We will still fly home from Newark.
K.I.S.S........so easy to say so difficult to do.

User avatar
LadyGeek
Site Admin
Posts: 45565
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:34 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: Road trip Newark NJ to Albany

Post by LadyGeek » Sat May 19, 2018 9:05 pm

I removed a comment related to ethnic / demographic populations of certain neighborhoods. There may be some misinterpretations on the intent (possibly offensive). Please stay on-topic.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

hsmith
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu May 25, 2017 5:48 am

Re: Road trip Newark NJ to Albany

Post by hsmith » Sat May 19, 2018 9:22 pm

As a former resident and frequent visitor to Albany and the Capital District, I agree with the recommendations above. North of Albany, Saratoga’s Performing Arts Center has many concerts and events. Lake George, the Sagamore at Bolton Landing and Lake Placid are all day trips from Albany, and would be colorful during that part of the fall. Southwest of Albany, Cooperstown is a great small town, and its Baseball Hall of Fame and other museums might be worth a visit.
Last edited by hsmith on Mon May 21, 2018 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

AntsOnTheMarch
Posts: 610
Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 5:47 pm

Re: Road trip Newark NJ to Albany

Post by AntsOnTheMarch » Sun May 20, 2018 7:30 am

Lots of good suggestions which are worth repeating and confirming. October would be my most favorite month to do this.

If you have the time to drive up on Rt. 9 on the east side of the Hudson River and make many stops (with some layovers), you’d be traveling in an area rich in attractions. It seems circuitous but I’d probably to go up the garden state parkway to 287 and across the new bridge (was Tappan Zee Bridge, now the Gov. Mario M. Cuomo Bridge), then up Rt. 9. You will have to cross back over the Hudson to see some of these but it’s a trivial matter.

Here are a few attractions that I can personally recommend:

- Kykuit, the Rockefeller Estate in Sleepy Hollow, NY
- Franklin D. Roosevelt National Historic Site in Hyde Pk
- Vanderbilt Mansion
- Rhinebeck (pretty little town and visit Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome)
- West Point
- Storm King
- Hudson (interesting town and visit Olana & FASNY Museum of Firefighting)

BashDash
Posts: 532
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:31 pm

Re: Road trip Newark NJ to Albany

Post by BashDash » Sun May 20, 2018 8:01 am

OP do you like hiking and the outdoors? If so, go to Newpaltz and pay for a day pass at Mohonk Mountain House. Hike to the viewing tower in which I believe you can see in the distance three different states. Then do the "lemon squeeze" hike. Took my friend from Portland, OR who has been on some amazing hikes but still loved this day spent in Newpaltz.

go_mets
Posts: 110
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:49 am

Re: Road trip Newark NJ to Albany

Post by go_mets » Sun May 20, 2018 8:15 am

How about flying into Westchester County Airport in White Plains?
https://airport.westchestergov.com/airl ... nformation
served by American Airlines and Delta
easy in/easy out

If you stick with Newark, I'd drive NJ Turnpike up to I-80 then Palisades Parkway north and cross over into NY state at the Tappan Zee Bridge now Gov Mario Cuomo Bridge.

User avatar
dm200
Posts: 16319
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: Washington DC area

Re: Road trip Newark NJ to Albany

Post by dm200 » Sun May 20, 2018 8:35 am

go_mets wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 8:15 am
How about flying into Westchester County Airport in White Plains?
https://airport.westchestergov.com/airl ... nformation
served by American Airlines and Delta
easy in/easy out
If you stick with Newark, I'd drive NJ Turnpike up to I-80 then Palisades Parkway north and cross over into NY state at the Tappan Zee Bridge now Gov Mario Cuomo Bridge.
Yes - for this type of trip. probably better than Newark airport.

hoops777
Posts: 2236
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:23 pm

Re: Road trip Newark NJ to Albany

Post by hoops777 » Sun May 20, 2018 12:13 pm

go_mets wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 8:15 am
How about flying into Westchester County Airport in White Plains?
https://airport.westchestergov.com/airl ... nformation
served by American Airlines and Delta
easy in/easy out

If you stick with Newark, I'd drive NJ Turnpike up to I-80 then Palisades Parkway north and cross over into NY state at the Tappan Zee Bridge now Gov Mario Cuomo Bridge.
We fly on SWA because we have a companion pass.Should we fly to Westchester from DC instead of Albany?
K.I.S.S........so easy to say so difficult to do.

User avatar
AtlasShrugged?
Posts: 544
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:08 pm

Re: Road trip Newark NJ to Albany

Post by AtlasShrugged? » Sun May 20, 2018 12:40 pm

Yo.....dodecahedron nailed this one. Take the train(s). EWR airport has a train that hooks up to NJ Transit. NJ Transit to NY Penn Station. Then hop an Amtrak train to Albany and rent your car there. Albany is 'Meh' (to me). I loved Cooperstown (love baseball), Lake George and Fort Ticonderoga (a bit of a history buff). If you have time, and you like history and don't mind walking....drive to Boston and do the Freedom Trail.
“If you don't know, the thing to do is not to get scared, but to learn.”

User avatar
bertilak
Posts: 5912
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:23 pm
Location: East of the Pecos, West of the Mississippi

Re: Road trip Newark NJ to Albany

Post by bertilak » Sun May 20, 2018 1:59 pm

RudyS wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 8:50 am
It's a but touristy, but Howe Caverns are close to Albany. Smaller kids? Catskill Game Farm. I've done those with my parents when I was a kid,and then again with our grandkids.

You might consider flying into Albany and taking the round trip by car from there. Depends on fares/rental cost/schedule but it's a possibility.
My parents took me to the Catskill Game Farm when I was a kid and we took our kids there. Sadly, Catskill Game Farm closed in 2006. There are rumors of an eventual re-open under new owners but I don't know how solid that is. I wish them luck!

There are lots of historical things up and down the Hudson River (mostly east side, Rt.9). On the west side you might have more fun a bit away from the river, through the Catskills (Rts 23, 28, 30, others).

If it's going to be a round trip drive go up one side and down the other.

North of Albany is another whole world.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker, the Cowboy Poet

User avatar
dm200
Posts: 16319
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: Washington DC area

Re: Road trip Newark NJ to Albany

Post by dm200 » Sun May 20, 2018 2:21 pm

Never been there, nor do I know is they serve the public - but the CIA (Culinary Institute of America) is near Poughkeepsie.

User avatar
LadyGeek
Site Admin
Posts: 45565
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:34 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: Road trip Newark NJ to Albany

Post by LadyGeek » Sun May 20, 2018 3:50 pm

I know someone who's been there. Here's the website: Hyde Park, New York Restaurants & Bakery Café - CIA Restaurant Group
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

go_mets
Posts: 110
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:49 am

Re: Road trip Newark NJ to Albany

Post by go_mets » Sun May 20, 2018 4:04 pm

hoops777 wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 12:13 pm
go_mets wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 8:15 am
How about flying into Westchester County Airport in White Plains?
https://airport.westchestergov.com/airl ... nformation
served by American Airlines and Delta
easy in/easy out

If you stick with Newark, I'd drive NJ Turnpike up to I-80 then Palisades Parkway north and cross over into NY state at the Tappan Zee Bridge now Gov Mario Cuomo Bridge.
We fly on SWA because we have a companion pass.Should we fly to Westchester from DC instead of Albany?
Does not look like SWA flies to Westchester.

The idea about the train is good.
Looks like there won't be any Amtrak schedule changes after Sept 3 for north to Albany.



https://casanctuary.org/

http://woodstocksanctuary.org/

hoops777
Posts: 2236
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:23 pm

Re: Road trip Newark NJ to Albany

Post by hoops777 » Sun May 20, 2018 4:26 pm

I know I keep changing my mind but I believe I have settled on this after reading all the suggestions.
We are flying from Calif to DC and spending 5 nights.We are then flying from DC to Albany and renting a car.We will drive from that area to Newark airport and fly home.I got a good deal on a one way car rental for $265.I really want to see the Hudson valley area and have seen Manhattan twice,so we will eliminate that.We will have from 2 pm Sunday until Friday to explore the Albany/Hudson Valley area and drive back to Newark.
K.I.S.S........so easy to say so difficult to do.

Post Reply