Should I have my new garage floor coated with Epoxy?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
bikechuck

Should I have my new garage floor coated with Epoxy?

Post by bikechuck » Thu May 17, 2018 4:26 pm

I am selling my home of 30 years and moving to a freestanding condominium (sometimes called a patio home) in central Ohio. Construction begins on the new place next week. A friend has recommended that I pay to have the garage floor covered with an epoxy coating before moving in.

I do not have experience with this and I am wondering if anyone on the list has done this and if so would you do it again?

audioaxes

Re: Should I have my new garage floor coated with Epoxy?

Post by audioaxes » Thu May 17, 2018 4:56 pm

my current house had epoxy on garage floor when I bought it and I really like it. Im not one to really put pride in my garage but even I would consider doing it if my next house doesnt already have it.

dwickenh

Post by dwickenh » Thu May 17, 2018 5:03 pm

I applied my own epoxy coating inside my new 2 car garage about 6 years ago. It really cut down on the dust and made the floor easy to clean. It still looks good after 6 years with minor tire peel where my vehicles are parked. It should be good for 2-4 more years before re-applying the epoxy. I would definitely do it again. Make sure you use a 2 part epoxy for the best lasting results.
The market is the most efficient mechanism anywhere in the world for transferring wealth from impatient people to patient people.” | — Warren Buffett

FeesR-BullNotBullish

Post by FeesR-BullNotBullish » Thu May 17, 2018 5:17 pm

Yes! It makes cleaning so much easier when your car dumps a bunch of filthy snow on the floor. It'll take your garage from "garage" to another pleasant space in your new home.

ScottW999

Post by ScottW999 » Thu May 17, 2018 5:44 pm

I have epoxy in my garage in AZ. Well worth the look and ease of cleaning.

radiowave

Post by radiowave » Thu May 17, 2018 5:49 pm

Two more inexpensive garage tips, paint the entire inside of the garage flat white and put florescent lights in the ceiling. that will really brighten it up.

BTW, I did a floor paint rather than epoxy in a new home build. I acid washed the garage floor, then applied garage gray pain with some sand, worked well for a few years with a little pain peel where the tires rolled. If a family member is sensitive to chemical smells, consider this an option.
Bogleheads Wiki: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Thu May 17, 2018 5:50 pm

Ask your real estate agent if it will increase the value of the house or make it more attractive. I highly doubt it'll make it worth more than $10 over what it would sell for without the coating.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

jr6857

Post by jr6857 » Thu May 17, 2018 6:27 pm

I purchased a new patio home a couple of years ago and did it myself (DIY). It is a lot of work and probably best for most to contract it out. However, I am very happy with the results. I live in PA and the floor cleans up so easily in the winter (snow and salt). I also painted the walls and the appearance of the garage is so much nicer than others. After two years, it still looks brand new and I regularly get compliments on it.

I did extensive research before proceeding with the project. You can check out the web site GarageJournal.com. There is a forum on floor coatings ("Flooring") that can give you enough knowledge to make a good decision. It is searchable and you can quickly learn enough to make a good decision.

If you decide to proceed, make sure the contractor grinds the floor and applies one primer coat and one color coat both containining 100% solids epoxy. A small quantity of colored flakes is often added to the color epoxy coat which helps hide any minor surface defects. Usually a final polyurethane top coat is then added in the final step. Typically a small amount of anti-skid material is mixed into the top coat to prevent any risk of slipping when the surface is wet. Without anti-skid, the surface will be very dangerous when wet.

The 100% solids epoxy prevents "hot tire pickup" which is the peeling of the epoxy when hot tires (normal usage) roll into the garage. The cheaper epoxies (what you find at Home Depot, for example) are a much lower proportion of solids and highly prone to hot tire pickup. When this occurs, the floor cannot easily be repaired short of grinding it off and starting over again. If you go this route, there is a high probability that you will regret it.

I would definitely stay away from "painting" the floor. What looks nice immediately after completion will quickly turn into a mess.

Just my two cents... Good luck.

BobTexas

Post by BobTexas » Thu May 17, 2018 6:51 pm

A point to remember is that it is much easier to do before you move in. I would do it again

aspirit

Post by aspirit » Thu May 17, 2018 7:41 pm

I epoxied & polished a homes concrete floor, it worked out well.
Time & tides wait for no one. A man has to know his limitations.

Cyclesafe

Post by Cyclesafe » Thu May 17, 2018 9:13 pm

I epoxied my new garage floor. Makes sweeping and clean-up from car fluid leaks easy.

Don't take shortcuts using ordinary paint. Hot tires will peel it right up. Epoxy costs a lot more and its a mess to apply, but it is very much worth it.

donall

Post by donall » Thu May 17, 2018 10:18 pm

Make sure you allow the concrete to cure before applying the floor coating.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Thu May 17, 2018 10:39 pm

My cars don't leak oil and my non-epoxied floor looks perfectly fine. I suppose it depends on what you store and do in your garage. And if you care what your garage floor looks like....I've done a lot of projects in my garage, and it seems like oil is the only thing that might stain concrete permanently.

anoop

Post by anoop » Thu May 17, 2018 11:08 pm

BobTexas wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 6:51 pm
A point to remember is that it is much easier to do before you move in. I would do it again
Why is it easier?

mouses

Post by mouses » Fri May 18, 2018 1:35 am

A friend has this, and I immediately had Garage Floor Envy when I saw it.

ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 » Fri May 18, 2018 9:13 am

anoop wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 11:08 pm
Why is it easier?
There is nothing to move out...

anoop

Post by anoop » Fri May 18, 2018 9:17 am

ddurrett896 wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 9:13 am
anoop wrote:
Why is it easier?
OK. In my case, the only things there are my car and a doormat.

TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord » Fri May 18, 2018 9:20 am

anoop wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 9:17 am
ddurrett896 wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 9:13 am
anoop wrote:
Why is it easier?
OK. In my case, the only things there are my car and a doormat.
You are an outlier. There are folks who can't fit their car in their garage for all the stuff.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]

naples09

Post by naples09 » Fri May 18, 2018 9:33 am

anoop wrote:
BobTexas wrote:
Why is it easier?
The smell is really bad too for a couple days.

anoop

Post by anoop » Fri May 18, 2018 9:36 am

naples09 wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 9:33 am
anoop wrote:
BobTexas wrote:
Why is it easier?
The smell is really bad too for a couple days.
Are there any options where the smell is not too bad. Perhaps low/zero VOC product or some other alternatives?

detroitbabu

Post by detroitbabu » Fri May 18, 2018 10:16 am

I heard the epoxy floor becomes really slippery when wet. Is that true? I was thinking of doing it.

-buzz-

Post by -buzz- » Fri May 18, 2018 10:47 am

We had our basement rec room floor, storage area, and shop floor epoxied when we finished the basement. It looks fantastic and has held up well.

The living area has a really nice metal flake that makes it look similar to stone. The storage and shop areas have a more basic look that was less expensive.

We had a professional do it and are very happy with the results. As posted above... it STINKS when first applied. That would be a reason to have it done before moving in. Paying would be worth it to me just because I don't want to be exposed to that smell.

However... my advice would be to wait a year or so. That will let the concrete cure completely and develop any cracks. You can cover up the cracks when the epoxy goes down.

We have not done our garage floor yet. It would be nice but there are other financial priorities at the moment.

ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 » Fri May 18, 2018 3:17 pm

detroitbabu wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 10:16 am
I heard the epoxy floor becomes really slippery when wet. Is that true? I was thinking of doing it.
True, but same applies with any finished concrete surface that isn't broom finished (like a driveway).

gasdoc

Post by gasdoc » Sat May 19, 2018 8:49 am

We had this done in a rental home in Florida. There is not a mark on the floor that does not clean up easily. We will now do this on any new home we purchase (hoping not too many more!).

gasdoc