Scholarships for elementary school education

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Barefootgirl

Scholarships for elementary school education

Post by Barefootgirl » Thu May 17, 2018 1:17 pm

My sister and her husband live in a small town with a very low performing educational system. He works as a contractor on a nearby military base and they are contemplating moving for a better school system. My sister works from home, they make a reasonable income for that area.

Their daughter, my niece, is very bright and bored in that school system -she is still young enough (1st grade) that there is time to make good strides for high school and beyond.

They have looked into a nearby private elementary school that turns out high performers, but the tuition/fees are way above their financial ability.

This is an area I don't know anything about - but is there such a thing as scholarships for private elementary school education? I am only familiar with how this works on the collegiate level.

Thank you.
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.

Jack FFR1846

Re: Scholarships for elementary school education

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Thu May 17, 2018 1:21 pm

There are. But these tend to come from the school itself. The most common is by need. Others depend on the school and can be from legacy students (parents of siblings are graduates) or a multitude of other reasons. It would be worthwhile to ask the school this directly. You also want to do it early in the application process. The later you are, the less money they have to give.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Thu May 17, 2018 1:32 pm

My kids' school only offers aid in grades 6-12, which I think is a somewhat common practice among independent schools because of the fairly substantial increase in tuition between elementary school and middle/high school at many schools. The aid is need-based.

denovo

Post by denovo » Thu May 17, 2018 1:50 pm

Barefootgirl wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 1:17 pm

This is an area I don't know anything about - but is there such a thing as scholarships for private elementary school education? I am only familiar with how this works on the collegiate level.

Thank you.
Jack is right. The school itself is thee source of scholarships and may have an idea about others available.
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

brandy

Post by brandy » Sun May 20, 2018 7:16 pm

Since the mom works at home, have they considered home schooling?
Google has links!

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Sun May 20, 2018 7:52 pm

Our state has a School Tuition Organization (STO) to help finance tuition for those in need. Essentially people get tax incentives to give money to the STO and it is divided out to those in need. I would check if your state has something similar.

In general however, as someone who sits on a private school board, I find those students that are the highest achievers in elementary grades are those who parents push them the most outside of school. We have some students with poor home lives and lack of support and they almost never do as well as those who have much support and stable homes. There are a few exceptions to this but not many. My personal opinion is that a parent could send their child to just about any elementary school and if they (the parents) kept pushing the child academically, their child will progress in almost any environment. I think this dynamic diminishes somewhat when students get to hire grades.