AT&T Fixed Wireless Internet.....Opinion?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
dbc47

AT&T Fixed Wireless Internet.....Opinion?

Post by dbc47 » Wed May 16, 2018 7:52 pm

I'm currently using AT&T DSL service and receive 5mb speed on a good day. AT&T is now advertising that their Fixed Wireless Internet service is now available in my area with a 10mb speed. The DSL service does have service issues (lots of disconnects) so would the the new service being offered be any more reliable? Anyone here been using this service and if so, what do you think of it? It will cost about $20 a month more than what I'm paying now, but I'm willing to pay it if I get the improved speed and reliability. I'm just afraid to switch not knowing if I'm trading one problem for another.

Dan1500

Re: AT&T Fixed Wireless Internet.....Opinion?

Post by Dan1500 » Thu May 17, 2018 12:09 pm

We have it due to lack of any hardwired alternatives. It may get to 5mb at its best but most evenings it is not fast enough to stream Netflix.

CRC301

Post by CRC301 » Thu May 17, 2018 2:52 pm

AT&T's fixed wireless is basically using their mobile LTE (WCS band 30) network to provide you data. The quality of your download/upload speeds/connections is going to be dependent on your home's specific location in relation to their cell towers in the area.

dbc47

Post by dbc47 » Thu May 17, 2018 9:10 pm

Thanks for the feedback. It seems I've got more homework to do.

SittingOnTheFence

Post by SittingOnTheFence » Fri May 18, 2018 7:53 pm

I dropped DSL and signed up for cable internet to get a speed boost. It cost more than DSL but I am happy with the results. I'm currently getting 115 mb for a cost of $60/mo. I still have ATT landline for $60/mo that I am mulling over dropping.

Recently ATT installed fiber in my neighborhood, they are advertising various deals that are not quite good enough to get me to switch. Now that ATT has fiber avail, my cable co has increased my speed to match the lowest speed ATT fiber is offering without an increase in price.