Create a shareable calendar for iOS and Android?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
runner9

Create a shareable calendar for iOS and Android?

Post by runner9 »

As Cubmaster of a Scout Pack, we give out a paper calendar. I'd like to also be able to email a link that parents can use to download the Pack activities to their phone. Any websites, apps, advice, etc? I've never done anything like this. Thanks!
bob60014

Re: Create a shareable calendar for iOS and Android?

Post by bob60014 »

retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen »

bob60014 wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 4:57 pm Google calendar.

https://support.google.com/calendar/answer/37082?hl=en
+1
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

+1 on Google Calendar. You can make it shareable, and there are apps for Android and iOS that can connect to a calendar and sync with it.
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
Topic Author
runner9

Post by runner9 »

oldcomputerguy wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 5:29 pm +1 on Google Calendar. You can make it shareable, and there are apps for Android and iOS that can connect to a calendar and sync with it.
So I’d make it in Google, send a link and then suggest they download a specific app (such as?) to put on their phone’s calendar?
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

runner9 wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 7:24 pm
oldcomputerguy wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 5:29 pm +1 on Google Calendar. You can make it shareable, and there are apps for Android and iOS that can connect to a calendar and sync with it.
So I’d make it in Google, send a link and then suggest they download a specific app (such as?) to put on their phone’s calendar?
That's what I'd do. The specific app is in fact the Google Calendar app.
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
DoTheMath

Post by DoTheMath »

Suggesting people download the Google calendar app is easiest, but isn't necessary. Most calendar apps (e.g. the built-in iOS calendar) can be set to sync with a Google calendar. I would provide a link so that folks can open the calendar in a browser, as well as a link to instructions on how to download the Google calendar app and sync it to a Google calendar, as well as links to how to sync the built-in iOS and Android calendars to a Google calendar.
“I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains...” -- John Muir
Toons

Post by Toons »

Ditto Google Calendar
:happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
kenoryan

Post by kenoryan »

I’ve been using google calendar for scheduling call for my small group. I created a new google account. I entered data on the calendar for that account, and I gave the password to all my partners so they could use the built in calendar app on their iPhones to sync and look at the call schedule.

Recently, I’ve been inundated with messages from google because of access being made from multiple devices. Google thinks it’s being hacked and it blocks those devices. So I’m looking now for something that will avoid this problem. Any suggestions?
scooterdog

Post by scooterdog »

Hi runner9, a few years ago restarted a defunct Pack and was shocked at how different groups would use a terrible mix of free tools to organize things.

Google spreadsheets and Facebook for photos and Dropbox for documents and SignupGenius to figure out who will be coming to a campout - crazy.

We use SOAR myPack online software, something like $100/year, password protected, email lists with aliases, group calendar with iOS/Android sync, photo albums, ability to register for events and pay via PayPal.

Feel free to PM me your email address, I can send you a document I wrote up evaluating everything available a few years ago if you’d like to take a look.

No affiliation, just a happy customer. https://www.mypack.us
DiamondplateDave

Post by DiamondplateDave »

kenoryan wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 10:15 pm and I gave the password to all my partners so they could use the built in calendar app on their iPhones to sync and look at the call schedule. <security problem from Google> Any suggestions?
Not sure what you need? You can share the calendar, either as "public" or with specified people (they may need gmail accounts). If other people need to WRITE to the calendar, then perhaps using the "delegate" feature? I'm not sure how that works with gcal; I only use it with mail. Perhaps having people send you "invites" would let you click "add to my calendar" to add them for everybody to see?
kenoryan

Post by kenoryan »

DiamondplateDave wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 9:03 pm
kenoryan wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 10:15 pm and I gave the password to all my partners so they could use the built in calendar app on their iPhones to sync and look at the call schedule. <security problem from Google> Any suggestions?
Not sure what you need? You can share the calendar, either as "public" or with specified people (they may need gmail accounts). If other people need to WRITE to the calendar, then perhaps using the "delegate" feature? I'm not sure how that works with gcal; I only use it with mail. Perhaps having people send you "invites" would let you click "add to my calendar" to add them for everybody to see?

I will try and see if I can make it public. That might solve the issue. Thanks!
djpeteski

Post by djpeteski »

I feel like a dunce. I cannot get google calendar to work for our family. The stuff that I want public won't show up, I find it a hot mess. We have yet to find something that works for our mixed household of Android/Apple users.
:annoyed
DiamondplateDave

Post by DiamondplateDave »

Here's a link to a GCal help page:
https://support.google.com/calendar/answer/37082?hl=en
Perhaps this will help someone.
Larry3862

Post by Larry3862 »

When I create and share a link to a new google calendar and view the link that I just shared I see all my OTHER calendar events also on the newly created calendar. Do the others see this as well or just me?
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.