Planned Summer trip to the Finger Lakes. Suggestions?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
jkushne1

Planned Summer trip to the Finger Lakes. Suggestions?

Post by jkushne1 » Tue May 15, 2018 7:06 pm

Finishing residency this summer and planning on doing a summer trip out of Philadelphia before I start my job in August. Looking to travel at the end of July into the first week of August. We were considering going to the finger lakes for about a week and was wondering if people had any suggestions of places to stay, things to do, etc... Or if not the finger lakes, somewhere else that is good driving distance from Philadelphia. For the trip it will be me, my wife and my 20 month old son, so things would have to be kid friendly and easy.

Thanks. 

Nestegg_User

Re: Planned Summer trip to the Finger Lakes. Suggestions?

Post by Nestegg_User » Tue May 15, 2018 10:05 pm

ages ago I camped at the state park at Watkins Glen... it was a good location for checking out the area, but had very few amenities at that time (it may have changed)

(the advantage was low cost...in those days that was important).

bb

Post by bb » Tue May 15, 2018 10:15 pm

Wineries are something to do along the Finger Lakes - although not sure that meets your kid friendly definition. Both Ithaca and Watkins Glenn have nice gorges. Ithaca is college town with Cornell University there and is nice for a visit. Not sure about staying a week in any one place but Corning has a nice museum of glass - could stay in a few different places over the course of your vacation. Thousand Islands is nice but you would need to be on a boat.

Nestegg_User

Post by Nestegg_User » Tue May 15, 2018 10:52 pm

bb wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 10:15 pm
Wineries are something to do along the Finger Lakes - although not sure that meets your kid friendly definition. Both Ithaca and Watkins Glenn have nice gorges. Ithaca is college town with Cornell University there and is nice for a visit. Not sure about staying a week in any one place but Corning has a nice museum of glass - could stay in a few different places over the course of your vacation. Thousand Islands is nice but you would need to be on a boat.
Thousand Islands ????

that’s nowhere near the Finger Lakes region

(Ithaca was the closest large town to Watkins Glen)
... but the town of Watkins Glen wasn’t large then.. don’t know what it’s like now

milkshakes

Post by milkshakes » Wed May 16, 2018 12:04 am

I think the Dr. Konstantin Frank Winery is one of the best in the region. It’s just outside Hammondsport, a pleasant little town with an ice cream shop and a beach.

bb

Post by bb » Wed May 16, 2018 5:38 am

Nestegg_User wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 10:52 pm
Thousand Islands ????

that’s nowhere near the Finger Lakes region
jkushne1 wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 7:06 pm
Or if not the finger lakes, somewhere else

LuigiLikesPizza

Post by LuigiLikesPizza » Wed May 16, 2018 5:54 am

The summer season is a perfect time for that area. You could make a nice vacation by driving around the lakes and sampling each little town. There are scenic roads that follow the shores of the Finger Lakes.

Miscellaneous, as an FYI:

We found the wineries that dot the shores to be family friendly - most have picnic tables, sell foods, have dogs and kids running around, etc.

Lovely boat tours of Skaneatles lake

Stop at the tourism centers around the main towns and pick up tourist maps that show various places of interest.

Berry picking

Miniature and regular golf

Gorges and state parks for hiking, walks and picnics

summer events at Cornell

for a relatively rural area, quite a few chef inspired, independently owned restaurants that pair the wine with creative dishes

many bed and breakfasts, particularly restored historic homes

Summer is the high season, but it's not as commercially oriented, crazy crowded as other summer spots like Cape Cod, for example.

rotorhead

Post by rotorhead » Wed May 16, 2018 9:58 am

Are you a baseball fan?

While not officially a part of the Finger Lakes group, Lake Otsego is beautiful; and Cooperstown is at the southern tip. Coming up from the south, easy for you to pass through.

Cooperstown is home to the Baseball Hall of Fame; and is a lovely little town. It's also the ancestral home of James Fenimore Cooper. Haven't been there in long time now; but remember it as a very lovely place.

Koogie

Post by Koogie » Wed May 16, 2018 12:02 pm

rotorhead wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 9:58 am
Cooperstown is home to the Baseball Hall of Fame; and is a lovely little town. It's also the ancestral home of James Fenimore Cooper. Haven't been there in long time now; but remember it as a very lovely place.
It's a little more built up now but not much. I second that as an alternate. Fun walkable little town that is very, very well kept. There are also a couple other little museums in the village (farmers/settlers recreated village and Fenimores stately home). Just avoid any weekend that has a special occasion on at the Hall of Fame.

We go to the FInger Lakes area every few years.. it's really quite nice at that time of year. Good restaurants in Ithaca too.. like any college town.
If you need another place to stay in the area we often seem to end up in Geneva as well. Good base at the other "corner" of the lakes area.