New motorcycle rider

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
White Coat Investor

Re: New motorcycle rider

Post by White Coat Investor » Thu May 17, 2018 9:17 pm

Gill wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 7:30 pm
munemaker wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 7:19 pm
As an experienced rider who has logged 65,000 miles, I advise you to forget it.

It is incredibly dangerous out there today due to distracted drivers, and motorcyclists are extremely vulnerable. I got hit by a deer going 65 mph and suffered some serious injuries, and I was wearing all the safety gear. Fortunately they were able to rebuild me and I am pretty much back to normal today. I ride a little here and there, but nothing like before. Trust me. The pleasure of riding does not offset the pain of serious injury.
Agreed. I rode well over 200,000 miles over 15 years and feel fortunate to have survived. The danger has increased dramatically with cell phones and all the other driver distractions. I’m glad I’ve hung up my helmet.

Start off with a motorcycle safety course.
Gill
I only have one patient right now in the emergency department that was involved in a motorcycle crash, how bad can it be? He does look like he's in a lot of pain though. You want me to ask him for recommendations?
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Thu May 17, 2018 9:49 pm

It's an interesting phenomenon that older people tend to perceive the world as much more dangerous than in the past. But in many cases, it's just not true. If you'd like to bowl for confirmation bias, here's the source I used.

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/topics/t/gener ... lity-facts

squirm

Post by squirm » Thu May 17, 2018 10:40 pm

whodidntante wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 9:49 pm

It's an interesting phenomenon that older people tend to perceive the world as much more dangerous than in the past. But in many cases, it's just not true. If you'd like to bowl for confirmation bias, here's the source I used.

Interesting the sharp rise at the tail...most likely due to texting....
I see the death rate decline over time until recently, but I wonder about the overall crash and injury rate.

queso

Post by queso » Fri May 18, 2018 6:56 am

squirm wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 10:40 pm
whodidntante wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 9:49 pm

Interesting the sharp rise at the tail...most likely due to texting....
I see the death rate decline over time until recently, but I wonder about the overall crash and injury rate.
Here's more than you probably want to know, but interesting nonetheless.

https://www.ghsa.org/sites/default/file ... ists18.pdf

BJJ nerd

Post by BJJ nerd » Fri May 18, 2018 10:40 am

Interesting that no one has mentioned this, but take it to the track! Obviously, this assumes you're interested in a sport bike vs a cruiser. It avoids many of the dangers of riding on the street, ie everyone is going the same direction, no immovable objects nearby, people are paying attention, etc. Just join one of the novice groups and have a blast.

chrisjul

Post by chrisjul » Fri May 18, 2018 1:01 pm

Forget it. I quit while I was ahead.

I live in year round motorcycling climate. They scrape up some old guy who "always wanted a motorcycle" here almost every day, riding above his skill level or killed by some snowbird with poor driving skills.

Get a sports car....almost the same kick and MUCH safer!

chrisjul

Post by chrisjul » Fri May 18, 2018 1:03 pm

There is a good reason they call them DONORCYCLES in the emergency room.

I love them, but not worth the risk.