General Delivery

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
LuigiLikesPizza

General Delivery

Post by LuigiLikesPizza » Tue May 15, 2018 6:27 pm

I have a friend who'll be going on an extended trip this summer. She will be mobile with friends across the US. Can I send her packages to locations where she will be, using General Delivery service?

I have never done this and just heard about it today. For example, do I just put the town name and zip code on the shipping address for Amazon?

Anyone have experience with this? thank you.

livesoft

Re: General Delivery

Post by livesoft » Tue May 15, 2018 6:40 pm

Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

CarlZ993

Post by CarlZ993 » Tue May 15, 2018 8:40 pm

I've received packages this way on several of my long distance hikes. Off the top of my head, I don't know how long they'll hold the packages. Along popular long distance hikes (AT, PCT, etc), they'll often hold them longer than required. I'd put an 'ETA' on the package if you have a good estimate when your friend will be at that location.
Carl Z

Watty

Post by Watty » Tue May 15, 2018 9:10 pm

LuigiLikesPizza wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 6:27 pm
Anyone have experience with this? thank you.
I have shipped things to hotels with no problems but those were higher end hotels like a Hilton or Marriott.

If she knows where she will be that may be an option especially if there is not anything extremely valuable in the package.

A couple of suggestions;

1) Before you ship call the hotel directly(not the 800 number) and ask if it is OK if they have any special requirements.

2) Have her mention she is expecting a package when she checks in and also ask the front desk for it when it arrives.

You can also ship to a UPS store for pickup but I have not done that. I would assume that you can likely do that with FedEx too.

https://www.ups.com/us/en/shipping/serv ... ickup.page

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Tue May 15, 2018 11:44 pm

Check out the Safeway and FedEx partnership. I think you can have packages sent to Safeway stores.

http://www.fedex.com/us/onsite/

LuigiLikesPizza

Post by LuigiLikesPizza » Wed May 16, 2018 5:58 am

Thank you. They won't be hiking. They will be driving from town to town. There is info online, I am trying to find out if it's actually reliable by reading about people's various experiences...still searching, thanks.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Wed May 16, 2018 6:12 am

The video I linked has complete information about general delivery for non-hikers.

You can practice: Mail yourself a package.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.