External Portable Hard Drive

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
LuigiLikesPizza

External Portable Hard Drive

Post by LuigiLikesPizza » Tue May 15, 2018 6:24 pm

I'd like to purchase an external portable hard drive for my Mac Book. It's been quite awhile since I last made a similar purchase and I notice they just keep getting smaller (yeah!).

Can anyone suggest a reliable, easy to use brand? Thank you.

PS/ I am aware of cloud storage...let's not distract lol.

PFInterest

Re: External Portable Hard Drive

Post by PFInterest » Tue May 15, 2018 6:26 pm

do you need speed? then an SSD based one is necessary.
if just for storage (like time machine), all the 2TB portable models are fine.
https://www.amazon.com/External-Hard-Dr ... ode=595048
they go on sale often so just save a few to your cart and fire when ready.

LuigiLikesPizza

Post by LuigiLikesPizza » Tue May 15, 2018 6:28 pm

My files consist of photos, some documents, maybe a short video or two - not movies if that's what you are referring to?

I just remembered - I am also looking to back up my iTunes library.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Tue May 15, 2018 6:46 pm

I use this for my MacBook Pro
Samsung T3 SSD 1 TB. Very fast.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AV ... UTF8&psc=1
About $ 500

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Tue May 15, 2018 6:49 pm

I have a MacBook Pro and use two Seagate 4TB USB drives that I got at Costco - one on my Airport Extreme that backs up automatically all the time, and one I back up to ever week or so. They both seem to work fine with Time Machine and are about a year old. I also have a 1TB USB drive that I bought from MacSales (OWC) a couple years ago; I think it is an HSGT (sp. ?) and use it with Carbon Copy Cloner. You might check OWC for SSD drives, I just got a 1TB SSD from them a month ago and put in my MacBook Pro - it cost $257 on sale. It made my old mid-2009 act like a 2018 thoroughbred!

Edit for clarity: Both Seagate drives and the HSGT are traditional harddrives - not SSDs.
Last edited by Fletch on Tue May 15, 2018 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Meaningless! Meaningless!” says the Teacher. Whoever loves money never has enough; whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with their income. This too is meaningless.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Tue May 15, 2018 7:01 pm

LuigiLikesPizza wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 6:28 pm
My files consist of photos, some documents, maybe a short video or two - not movies if that's what you are referring to?

I just remembered - I am also looking to back up my iTunes library.
Are you planning to use the external drive as an occasional backup device and keep your files on your internal disk, or is it meant be more or less permanently connected additional storage? For a backup drive I would not worry about getting an SSD.

Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch » Tue May 15, 2018 7:09 pm

My western digital passport has been great. Zero issues

Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP » Tue May 15, 2018 9:00 pm

I second WD; they are among the most cost effective.
SSD's are great as a main drive, but for backups you want the
maximum amount of TB's per dollar.
Standard drives are still much cheaper in large sizes.
Costco will probably have a selection of WD for both PC/Mac
for $100 or less.

Big Dog

Post by Big Dog » Tue May 15, 2018 9:29 pm

costco is definitely the way to go

GuyInFL

Post by GuyInFL » Tue May 15, 2018 9:35 pm

Make sure the drive is USB 3, for good speed.

obgraham

Post by obgraham » Wed May 16, 2018 12:40 am

IMHO all the readily available ones are pretty reliable.

That said, failures happen. Get 2 drives. Alternate or duplicate your backups. Odds of 2 failures is slim.

LuigiLikesPizza

Post by LuigiLikesPizza » Wed May 16, 2018 5:42 am

Are you planning to use the external drive as an occasional backup device and keep your files on your internal disk, or is it meant be more or less permanently connected additional storage? For a backup drive I would not worry about getting an SSD.

I have been using existing drive as occasional backup, but have now embarked on a small side business venture where I frequently need to store photos, receipts, etc. This makes me think I need to keep a small external drive more or less along side the Mac most of the time now, for backup purposes.

Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta » Wed May 16, 2018 11:23 am

LuigiLikesPizza wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 5:42 am
This makes me think I need to keep a small external drive more or less along side the Mac most of the time now, for backup purposes.
Have you considered a NAS? Basically keeping the backup drive on the shelf next to your router rather than next to your laptop. It depends on how you work, but it is much less likely that the drive gets lost, stepped on, or broken due to rapid unscheduled removal. Sometimes using a NAS is as simple as plugging a USB device into a router instead of into your laptop. For even moderate commercial use I'd spring the extra $300 or so and go with a RAID 1 NAS.

Freefun

Post by Freefun » Wed May 16, 2018 3:54 pm

Western digital external drives and also,have a synology NAS.
Any drive can fail. My time machine rotates between 3 different external drives and I also back up to my NAS.
A few external drives go off site. I also use apple filevault so if my backup drives are stolen my data can't be read.
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Wed May 16, 2018 4:14 pm

Epsilon Delta wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 11:23 am
Have you considered a NAS? Basically keeping the backup drive on the shelf next to your router rather than next to your laptop. It depends on how you work, but it is much less likely that the drive gets lost, stepped on, or broken due to rapid unscheduled removal. Sometimes using a NAS is as simple as plugging a USB device into a router instead of into your laptop. For even moderate commercial use I'd spring the extra $300 or so and go with a RAID 1 NAS.
That is what I would do (and actually in fact do). I do have a couple of small external drives for backups to be taken off-site, but they are only occasionally attached to my laptop. Syncing data to the NAS over the network is much more convenient.

nick evets

Post by nick evets » Wed May 16, 2018 4:59 pm

I'd be very careful about taking a problem for which there is a simple solution and replacing the solution with a far more complex system -- especially if there's no appreciable benefit ( and actually added risk).

If you have NO current backup solution, an external HDD is an excellent first step and possibly all you'll need.