Lexus RX 350, Audi Q5, or Volvo XC 60 (update)

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
ugaDAWGS09
Posts: 367
Joined: Wed May 15, 2013 4:34 pm

Lexus RX 350, Audi Q5, or Volvo XC 60 (update)

Post by ugaDAWGS09 » Tue May 15, 2018 4:43 pm

My wife and I have been doing a lot of research on vehicles and we are planning on test driving these 3 SUV's next weekend. She wants a two row luxury SUV with a lot of the new safety features, but still wanted to get decent gas mileage. I would think the Lexus would be the best as far as reliability and have less maintenance costs in the future. Also, the new body style changed in 2016 so we have a couple years to look at when buying this model. The Audi and Volvo both changed in 2018, so finding a used 2018 model for a good price is going to be difficult. Any advice/opinions on these models? Hoping to get out the door around 40k or so if possible.
Last edited by ugaDAWGS09 on Sun May 27, 2018 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Cyclesafe
Posts: 579
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:03 pm

Re: Lexus RX 350, Audi Q5, or Volvo XC 60

Post by Cyclesafe » Tue May 15, 2018 5:46 pm

Good choices. It will be tough to decide between them.

The RX350 will be more cushiony and the Q5 with the 3.0L engine will be more sporty. Less familiar with the XC60, but I would think it will be more like the Audi.

I have owned 4 Lexuses. They are very reliable. I have owned one Audi, which was always having electrical problems, but was far more fun to drive.

My wife drives a 2000 RX30 with 80k miles. She doesn't want another car since it still looks new. Personally, I prefer a bit more power and much stiffer suspension so I drive a Macan Turbo, which is a rebadged Q5 with a few different parts.

Sandi_k
Posts: 749
Joined: Sat May 16, 2015 11:55 am
Location: SF Bay Area

Re: Lexus RX 350, Audi Q5, or Volvo XC 60

Post by Sandi_k » Tue May 15, 2018 5:53 pm

If you want decent mileage, look at either the NX300h or the RX450 in the Lexus lineup.

As the owner of an RX350, and one who has 220k miles on my 2010 - I average 21-22 mpg in real world driving. When I replace it, I hope to move to a hybrid model, and the abovementioned cars are on my list.

Also - the Highlander has many of the same amenities, so she might perhaps look at those.

Audi Q5 is too harsh a ride for me, and the Volvo is too expensive and not reliable enough. IMO.

delamer
Posts: 5483
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:13 pm

Re: Lexus RX 350, Audi Q5, or Volvo XC 60

Post by delamer » Tue May 15, 2018 6:00 pm

I really like my Q5 until it got recalled for the 3rd time and the brakes developed a horrible squeak in cold weather (not a safety issue, but not fixable).

If it is possible to have a love-hate relationship with a vehicle, I had one with the Q5.

I would consider the 2018 redesign, but not until I can get one used due to the cost of new.

ugaDAWGS09
Posts: 367
Joined: Wed May 15, 2013 4:34 pm

Re: Lexus RX 350, Audi Q5, or Volvo XC 60

Post by ugaDAWGS09 » Tue May 15, 2018 6:10 pm

Sandi_k wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 5:53 pm
If you want decent mileage, look at either the NX300h or the RX450 in the Lexus lineup.

As the owner of an RX350, and one who has 220k miles on my 2010 - I average 21-22 mpg in real world driving. When I replace it, I hope to move to a hybrid model, and the abovementioned cars are on my list.

Also - the Highlander has many of the same amenities, so she might perhaps look at those.

Audi Q5 is too harsh a ride for me, and the Volvo is too expensive and not reliable enough. IMO.
We looked at the NX300, but it seems really small inside. We are going to test drive one just to get a feel for it, but based on the look I don't think it's large enough. I was hoping the RX would get closer to 24-25 mpg. Isn't the Highlander a 3 row SUV? I've heard good and bad things about the way the Q5 rides, but I guess we need to test drive to figure it out.

ugaDAWGS09
Posts: 367
Joined: Wed May 15, 2013 4:34 pm

Re: Lexus RX 350, Audi Q5, or Volvo XC 60

Post by ugaDAWGS09 » Tue May 15, 2018 6:12 pm

delamer wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 6:00 pm
I really like my Q5 until it got recalled for the 3rd time and the brakes developed a horrible squeak in cold weather (not a safety issue, but not fixable).

If it is possible to have a love-hate relationship with a vehicle, I had one with the Q5.

I would consider the 2018 redesign, but not until I can get one used due to the cost of new.
This is my fear of German vehicles, reliability. I love the new Q5 design, but just don't want to deal with these issues. She's going to keep the car at least 5 years and will have over 100k miles on it. She has about a 60 mile round trip commute to work.

delamer
Posts: 5483
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:13 pm

Re: Lexus RX 350, Audi Q5, or Volvo XC 60

Post by delamer » Tue May 15, 2018 6:14 pm

ugaDAWGS09 wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 6:12 pm
delamer wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 6:00 pm
I really like my Q5 until it got recalled for the 3rd time and the brakes developed a horrible squeak in cold weather (not a safety issue, but not fixable).

If it is possible to have a love-hate relationship with a vehicle, I had one with the Q5.

I would consider the 2018 redesign, but not until I can get one used due to the cost of new.
This is my fear of German vehicles, reliability. I love the new Q5 design, but just don't want to deal with these issues. She's going to keep the car at least 5 years and will have over 100k miles on it. She has about a 60 mile round trip commute to work.
To be fair, we’ve had 3 other Audis that needed only routine maintenance, except for one repair on a 7 year old car.

User avatar
Fletch
Posts: 668
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:25 pm
Location: USA

Re: Lexus RX 350, Audi Q5, or Volvo XC 60

Post by Fletch » Tue May 15, 2018 6:21 pm

All good choices. Ride quality is a very personal thing. Wife and I have a 2018 Q5 with the 20" wheels and Pirelli Scorpion all season tires; you can set the ride to 5 different modes - we leave it in Auto which firms up a little bit on slower roads and softens just a bit on the highway. Ride is quite good but not as cushy as the Lexus RX we tested. It "handles" much better than the Lexus in our opinion. We have the 2.0 turbo engine which has plenty of power - 252 hp - but we have not taken it into the mountains; we did not drive the 3.0. The Volvo XC60 with the 300 hp engine (turbo plus supercharger) we tested was in between the two in ride quality but tilted toward the Audi. Our Audi Q5 only has 5k miles and is 8 months old - zero issues other than a scratched windshield at deliver which the dealer replaced.

Edit: You may wish to look at this thread: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=249206#p3922567
Last edited by Fletch on Tue May 15, 2018 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Meaningless! Meaningless!” says the Teacher. Whoever loves money never has enough; whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with their income. This too is meaningless.

ugaDAWGS09
Posts: 367
Joined: Wed May 15, 2013 4:34 pm

Re: Lexus RX 350, Audi Q5, or Volvo XC 60

Post by ugaDAWGS09 » Tue May 15, 2018 6:26 pm

Fletch wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 6:21 pm
All good choices. Ride quality is a very personal thing. Wife and I have a 2018 Q5 with the 20" wheels and Pirelli Scorpion all season tires; you can set the ride to 5 different modes - we leave it in Auto which firms up a little bit on slower roads and softens just a bit on the highway. Ride is quite good but not as cushy as the Lexus RX we tested. It "handles" much better than the Lexus in our opinion. We have the 2.0 turbo engine which has plenty of power - 252 hp - but we have not taken it into the mountains; we did not drive the 3.0. The Volvo XC60 with the 300 hp engine (turbo plus supercharger) we tested was in between the two in ride quality but tilted toward the Audi. Our Audi Q5 only has 5k miles and is 8 months old - zero issues other than a scratched windshield at deliver which the dealer replaced.
Thanks for the info. I need to read up more in the different modes for driving. The Q5 is a really nice looking car, inside and out. How many mpg are you getting on average?

User avatar
Fletch
Posts: 668
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:25 pm
Location: USA

Re: Lexus RX 350, Audi Q5, or Volvo XC 60

Post by Fletch » Tue May 15, 2018 6:33 pm

ugaDAWGS09 wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 6:26 pm
Fletch wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 6:21 pm
All good choices. Ride quality is a very personal thing. Wife and I have a 2018 Q5 with the 20" wheels and Pirelli Scorpion all season tires; you can set the ride to 5 different modes - we leave it in Auto which firms up a little bit on slower roads and softens just a bit on the highway. Ride is quite good but not as cushy as the Lexus RX we tested. It "handles" much better than the Lexus in our opinion. We have the 2.0 turbo engine which has plenty of power - 252 hp - but we have not taken it into the mountains; we did not drive the 3.0. The Volvo XC60 with the 300 hp engine (turbo plus supercharger) we tested was in between the two in ride quality but tilted toward the Audi. Our Audi Q5 only has 5k miles and is 8 months old - zero issues other than a scratched windshield at deliver which the dealer replaced.
Thanks for the info. I need to read up more in the different modes for driving. The Q5 is a really nice looking car, inside and out. How many mpg are you getting on average?
Gas mileage estimate based on half a dozen checks (I used to keep very accurate records on every tankfull but then decided I was doing nothing with the info so stopped): Mostly suburban driving - around 22. Highway - around 28. That is about 2 mpg better than my 2012 XC60 - 6 cylinder, 300 hp, for both suburban and highway.
“Meaningless! Meaningless!” says the Teacher. Whoever loves money never has enough; whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with their income. This too is meaningless.

ResearchMed
Posts: 6868
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:25 pm

Re: Lexus RX 350, Audi Q5, or Volvo XC 60

Post by ResearchMed » Tue May 15, 2018 6:43 pm

ugaDAWGS09 wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 4:43 pm
My wife and I have been doing a lot of research on vehicles and we are planning on test driving these 3 SUV's next weekend. She wants a two row luxury SUV with a lot of the new safety features, but still wanted to get decent gas mileage. I would think the Lexus would be the best as far as reliability and have less maintenance costs in the future. Also, the new body style changed in 2016 so we have a couple years to look at when buying this model. The Audi and Volvo both changed in 2018, so finding a used 2018 model for a good price is going to be difficult. Any advice/opinions on these models? Hoping to get out the door around 40k or so if possible.
We've got a Volvo XC60 (turbo - zooooom).

This was the first non-new car we purchased, because we stumbled across a really good option: just under 1 year old, 10k miles, sold/serviced by the dealer we've been with for a few decades. (The original owner got one of the very first "new model" XC90's to arrive.)

We prefer NOT to get a "first year model" of anything.

In terms of price/value, if you aren't planning to trade the car, but to drive it a long time, then you might find a very good deal on a young "old model" XC60, or even a new one still lingering on a lot somewhere (?).
Let someone else "buy high" for the "latest and greatest", plus *they* would be helping to iron out any first-model-year glitches.

We LOVE this XC60.
We've been Volvo aficionados for a very long time (first one in late 1960's).
But this is by far the nicest.
We weren't looking for a turbo, but now that we've got it, we'll probably never look back :happy

And the seats? VERY comfortable.

We've *never* had a "reliability" problem with any of our Volvos, but that doesn't mean there haven't been problems for others, obviously.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

inbox788
Posts: 5271
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:24 pm

Re: Lexus RX 350, Audi Q5, or Volvo XC 60

Post by inbox788 » Tue May 15, 2018 7:06 pm

ugaDAWGS09 wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 6:10 pm
We looked at the NX300, but it seems really small inside. We are going to test drive one just to get a feel for it, but based on the look I don't think it's large enough. I was hoping the RX would get closer to 24-25 mpg. Isn't the Highlander a 3 row SUV? I've heard good and bad things about the way the Q5 rides, but I guess we need to test drive to figure it out.
The RX is quite big on the outside, but not so much room inside. You can only squeeze so much into a given volume. Would love to have the outside dimensions of the NX with the room of the RX, but that would entail getting rid much of what’s in between. The Honda Fit somehow manages to appear bigger on the inside than the outside might suggest, but that leaves little room for insulation.

What’s your tax rate? Around $40k with all the safety features I going to be a challenge. Stripped ones don’t go for much less than that.

If budget is priority, besides NX, why not Acura RDX?

User avatar
munemaker
Posts: 3274
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:14 pm

Re: Lexus RX 350, Audi Q5, or Volvo XC 60

Post by munemaker » Tue May 15, 2018 7:24 pm

ugaDAWGS09 wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 4:43 pm
My wife and I have been doing a lot of research on vehicles and we are planning on test driving these 3 SUV's next weekend. She wants a two row luxury SUV with a lot of the new safety features, but still wanted to get decent gas mileage. I would think the Lexus would be the best as far as reliability and have less maintenance costs in the future. Also, the new body style changed in 2016 so we have a couple years to look at when buying this model. The Audi and Volvo both changed in 2018, so finding a used 2018 model for a good price is going to be difficult. Any advice/opinions on these models? Hoping to get out the door around 40k or so if possible.
To me, the only choice of the three would be the Lexus RX350, due to its record of quality and reliability. The Volvo would be a distant 3rd.

gronkman
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:50 pm
Location: Washington DC

Re: Lexus RX 350, Audi Q5, or Volvo XC 60

Post by gronkman » Tue May 15, 2018 7:54 pm

ugaDAWGS09 wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 6:12 pm
delamer wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 6:00 pm
I really like my Q5 until it got recalled for the 3rd time and the brakes developed a horrible squeak in cold weather (not a safety issue, but not fixable).

If it is possible to have a love-hate relationship with a vehicle, I had one with the Q5.

I would consider the 2018 redesign, but not until I can get one used due to the cost of new.
This is my fear of German vehicles, reliability. I love the new Q5 design, but just don't want to deal with these issues. She's going to keep the car at least 5 years and will have over 100k miles on it. She has about a 60 mile round trip commute to work.
I love my Q5, has needed only a few fixes after 9 years and 90,000 miles.

User avatar
munemaker
Posts: 3274
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:14 pm

Re: Lexus RX 350, Audi Q5, or Volvo XC 60

Post by munemaker » Tue May 15, 2018 9:38 pm

gronkman wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 7:54 pm

I love my Q5, has needed only a few fixes after 9 years and 90,000 miles.
Is this you in the YouTube video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohxZ99K8TRM

takeshi
Posts: 1175
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:02 pm

Re: Lexus RX 350, Audi Q5, or Volvo XC 60

Post by takeshi » Tue May 15, 2018 9:56 pm

ugaDAWGS09 wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 6:10 pm
I was hoping the RX would get closer to 24-25 mpg.
That's about what I get with our 2015 450h. However, I have a lead foot. The better half tends to get better fuel economy.

gronkman
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:50 pm
Location: Washington DC

Re: Lexus RX 350, Audi Q5, or Volvo XC 60

Post by gronkman » Tue May 15, 2018 10:14 pm

munemaker wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 9:38 pm
gronkman wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 7:54 pm

I love my Q5, has needed only a few fixes after 9 years and 90,000 miles.
Is this you in the YouTube video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohxZ99K8TRM
Haha, actually yes :wink: While I can appreciate Lexus reliability, I wouldn’t be caught dead driving one. I don’t want to stir up any heated discussion, but to me Lexuses are for those who look at cars as just a transportation tool.

3.141592653589793238
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:31 pm

Re: Lexus RX 350, Audi Q5, or Volvo XC 60

Post by 3.141592653589793238 » Tue May 15, 2018 11:54 pm

ugaDAWGS09 wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 4:43 pm
Any advice/opinions on these models?
I ordered a 2018 SQ5 the beginning of October 2017 and took delivery end of January 2018. First experience with an Audi. Love the vehicle. My previous car was a 2004 model year Mercedes and it was a weird time for car tech (it had a DVD video player!), so I am very glad to have all the nice tech that 2018 brings.

If I was to pick a favorite thing, I would say the heads-up-display. The SQ5 has a little projector on the dashboard which is only visible to the driver, and it displays the current speed limit, your current speed, and some other various things related to adaptive cruise control onto the windshield. It also has a 360 degree camera which is handy for parking or getting in to/out of tight spots.

My one and only complaint doesn't really have to do with Audi, but one of their partners. As part of the purchase, I was given a three month trial subscription to SiriusXM satellite radio which just recently expired. They have been on me like a bad ex-girlfriend ever since. They call, email and send postal mail, even after being asked repeatedly to stop.

Sandi_k
Posts: 749
Joined: Sat May 16, 2015 11:55 am
Location: SF Bay Area

Re: Lexus RX 350, Audi Q5, or Volvo XC 60

Post by Sandi_k » Wed May 16, 2018 12:42 am

ugaDAWGS09 wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 6:10 pm
Sandi_k wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 5:53 pm
If you want decent mileage, look at either the NX300h or the RX450 in the Lexus lineup.

As the owner of an RX350, and one who has 220k miles on my 2010 - I average 21-22 mpg in real world driving. When I replace it, I hope to move to a hybrid model, and the abovementioned cars are on my list.

Also - the Highlander has many of the same amenities, so she might perhaps look at those.

Audi Q5 is too harsh a ride for me, and the Volvo is too expensive and not reliable enough. IMO.
We looked at the NX300, but it seems really small inside. We are going to test drive one just to get a feel for it, but based on the look I don't think it's large enough. I was hoping the RX would get closer to 24-25 mpg. Isn't the Highlander a 3 row SUV? I've heard good and bad things about the way the Q5 rides, but I guess we need to test drive to figure it out.
I've had spinal surgery, so was particularly sensitive to the ride. That said, I got a sport suspension on the RX350. I had to order it, and wait 5 months. :D

I have 220K miles on the RX350. A lot of my driving is in prime commute hours, so cruising between 20-25 mph. When we're on a road trip, and I can set the cruise control, we can get 24-25 mpg. But that's only in a best case situation. Real world - 21-22 mpg is the result.

ugaDAWGS09
Posts: 367
Joined: Wed May 15, 2013 4:34 pm

Re: Lexus RX 350, Audi Q5, or Volvo XC 60

Post by ugaDAWGS09 » Wed May 16, 2018 7:34 am

inbox788 wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 7:06 pm
ugaDAWGS09 wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 6:10 pm
We looked at the NX300, but it seems really small inside. We are going to test drive one just to get a feel for it, but based on the look I don't think it's large enough. I was hoping the RX would get closer to 24-25 mpg. Isn't the Highlander a 3 row SUV? I've heard good and bad things about the way the Q5 rides, but I guess we need to test drive to figure it out.
The RX is quite big on the outside, but not so much room inside. You can only squeeze so much into a given volume. Would love to have the outside dimensions of the NX with the room of the RX, but that would entail getting rid much of what’s in between. The Honda Fit somehow manages to appear bigger on the inside than the outside might suggest, but that leaves little room for insulation.

What’s your tax rate? Around $40k with all the safety features I going to be a challenge. Stripped ones don’t go for much less than that.

If budget is priority, besides NX, why not Acura RDX?
My tax rate? My state tax is 6.5%, is that what you are asking? I know its going to be hard to find one around 40k for the "new" body styles. It's really bad timing to be looking at some of these SUV's as they have just changed body styles. We really haven't looked at the Acura, but I'll read some reports and look at reliability, safety, etc. The RDX is a nice looking vehicle.

ugaDAWGS09
Posts: 367
Joined: Wed May 15, 2013 4:34 pm

Re: Lexus RX 350, Audi Q5, or Volvo XC 60

Post by ugaDAWGS09 » Wed May 16, 2018 7:36 am

gronkman wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 10:14 pm
munemaker wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 9:38 pm
gronkman wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 7:54 pm

I love my Q5, has needed only a few fixes after 9 years and 90,000 miles.
Is this you in the YouTube video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohxZ99K8TRM
Haha, actually yes :wink: While I can appreciate Lexus reliability, I wouldn’t be caught dead driving one. I don’t want to stir up any heated discussion, but to me Lexuses are for those who look at cars as just a transportation tool.
What is it about the Lexus that you dislike so much? I'm just wondering as this will be the first "luxury" vehicle purchase we have made.

ugaDAWGS09
Posts: 367
Joined: Wed May 15, 2013 4:34 pm

Re: Lexus RX 350, Audi Q5, or Volvo XC 60

Post by ugaDAWGS09 » Wed May 16, 2018 7:37 am

3.141592653589793238 wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 11:54 pm
ugaDAWGS09 wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 4:43 pm
Any advice/opinions on these models?
I ordered a 2018 SQ5 the beginning of October 2017 and took delivery end of January 2018. First experience with an Audi. Love the vehicle. My previous car was a 2004 model year Mercedes and it was a weird time for car tech (it had a DVD video player!), so I am very glad to have all the nice tech that 2018 brings.

If I was to pick a favorite thing, I would say the heads-up-display. The SQ5 has a little projector on the dashboard which is only visible to the driver, and it displays the current speed limit, your current speed, and some other various things related to adaptive cruise control onto the windshield. It also has a 360 degree camera which is handy for parking or getting in to/out of tight spots.

My one and only complaint doesn't really have to do with Audi, but one of their partners. As part of the purchase, I was given a three month trial subscription to SiriusXM satellite radio which just recently expired. They have been on me like a bad ex-girlfriend ever since. They call, email and send postal mail, even after being asked repeatedly to stop.
With the Audi, is it required to carry it to the dealer for annual/routine maintenance? Closest dealer is about a 2 hour drive, but just wondering the requirements for maintaining the warranty.

nova1968
Posts: 217
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 12:00 pm

Re: Lexus RX 350, Audi Q5, or Volvo XC 60

Post by nova1968 » Wed May 16, 2018 8:08 am

The Lexus can be repaired at a Toyota dealership for a very reasonable rate. German Vehicles such as the Audi can be very costly to repair. I own a 2012 Lexus RX 350 and the maintenance costs have been minimal.

User avatar
Cyclesafe
Posts: 579
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:03 pm

Re: Lexus RX 350, Audi Q5, or Volvo XC 60

Post by Cyclesafe » Wed May 16, 2018 9:29 am

ugaDAWGS09 wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 7:36 am
gronkman wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 10:14 pm
munemaker wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 9:38 pm
gronkman wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 7:54 pm

I love my Q5, has needed only a few fixes after 9 years and 90,000 miles.
Is this you in the YouTube video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohxZ99K8TRM
Haha, actually yes :wink: While I can appreciate Lexus reliability, I wouldn’t be caught dead driving one. I don’t want to stir up any heated discussion, but to me Lexuses are for those who look at cars as just a transportation tool.
What is it about the Lexus that you dislike so much? I'm just wondering as this will be the first "luxury" vehicle purchase we have made.
The RX rides pretty squishy giving a driver a poor feel for the road when making sharpish turns at speed. If one drives the speed limit, is a careful deliberate driver, and does not want to win any drag races, one might not notice (or care). But if you drive fast - even sometimes - you can (and should) do far better. This isn't just a guy thing either. My wife is scared to drive the RX past 80. For basic transportation (going from A to B) reliably and in luxury, the RX will be difficult to beat. If a car is in any way an extension of some non-basic transportation ego need - and you should at least consider whether this actually is important because it is indeed important for millions of drivers - don't get the RX. But that doesn't mean that an Audi SUV will completely scratch this sort of itch either.

onourway
Posts: 1120
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:39 pm

Re: Lexus RX 350, Audi Q5, or Volvo XC 60

Post by onourway » Wed May 16, 2018 9:40 am

ugaDAWGS09 wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 7:36 am
What is it about the Lexus that you dislike so much? I'm just wondering as this will be the first "luxury" vehicle purchase we have made.
I happen to agree - I find Toyota and Lexus vehicles to be a total snooze and the interiors to loose much of their luster after you've lived with them for a while.

That said, what bothers one person another will never notice. You should drive all 3 and decide for yourself. If reliability is the only concern, then yes, the Lexus is the one you should choose. Realize however that reliability in this case might mean 1 extra trip to the dealer every year or two vs. the Lexus.

User avatar
munemaker
Posts: 3274
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:14 pm

Re: Lexus RX 350, Audi Q5, or Volvo XC 60

Post by munemaker » Wed May 16, 2018 9:53 am

Cyclesafe wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 9:29 am
My wife is scared to drive the RX past 80.
My wife would be scared to drive a Maserati past 80.

delamer
Posts: 5483
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:13 pm

Re: Lexus RX 350, Audi Q5, or Volvo XC 60

Post by delamer » Wed May 16, 2018 11:33 am

3.141592653589793238 wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 11:54 pm
ugaDAWGS09 wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 4:43 pm
Any advice/opinions on these models?
I ordered a 2018 SQ5 the beginning of October 2017 and took delivery end of January 2018. First experience with an Audi. Love the vehicle. My previous car was a 2004 model year Mercedes and it was a weird time for car tech (it had a DVD video player!), so I am very glad to have all the nice tech that 2018 brings.

If I was to pick a favorite thing, I would say the heads-up-display. The SQ5 has a little projector on the dashboard which is only visible to the driver, and it displays the current speed limit, your current speed, and some other various things related to adaptive cruise control onto the windshield. It also has a 360 degree camera which is handy for parking or getting in to/out of tight spots.

My one and only complaint doesn't really have to do with Audi, but one of their partners. As part of the purchase, I was given a three month trial subscription to SiriusXM satellite radio which just recently expired. They have been on me like a bad ex-girlfriend ever since. They call, email and send postal mail, even after being asked repeatedly to stop.

Sirius/XM is relentless. Based on my kids — an admittedly limited sample — that generation is not willing to pay for their car music and that is going to be a problem for the business model in the long run.

WhiteMaxima
Posts: 1209
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 5:04 pm

Re: Lexus RX 350, Audi Q5, or Volvo XC 60

Post by WhiteMaxima » Wed May 16, 2018 11:40 am

Q5 Quattro, all-time all wheel drive. RX is more reliable> XC has a lot safety heritage. I like more sport feeling. So Q5 2.0T or 3.0T is my choice.

audioaxes
Posts: 96
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:16 pm

Re: Lexus RX 350, Audi Q5, or Volvo XC 60

Post by audioaxes » Wed May 16, 2018 12:17 pm

just a random data point but I recently bought a used 2016 RX350 with 20K miles. Choose this car over other luxury options due to assumed reliability. Less than a 2 weeks later its at the dealership due to power boost issue (car was not starting and had to override to get it going), and passenger AC was suddenly blowing hot. Was told it would have cost "thousands" for these repairs if it wasnt under warranty. Now I'm wondering is this going to happen again in another 20K miles just as the warranty expires.

gronkman
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:50 pm
Location: Washington DC

Re: Lexus RX 350, Audi Q5, or Volvo XC 60

Post by gronkman » Wed May 16, 2018 1:00 pm

ugaDAWGS09 wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 7:37 am
3.141592653589793238 wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 11:54 pm
ugaDAWGS09 wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 4:43 pm
Any advice/opinions on these models?
I ordered a 2018 SQ5 the beginning of October 2017 and took delivery end of January 2018. First experience with an Audi. Love the vehicle. My previous car was a 2004 model year Mercedes and it was a weird time for car tech (it had a DVD video player!), so I am very glad to have all the nice tech that 2018 brings.

If I was to pick a favorite thing, I would say the heads-up-display. The SQ5 has a little projector on the dashboard which is only visible to the driver, and it displays the current speed limit, your current speed, and some other various things related to adaptive cruise control onto the windshield. It also has a 360 degree camera which is handy for parking or getting in to/out of tight spots.

My one and only complaint doesn't really have to do with Audi, but one of their partners. As part of the purchase, I was given a three month trial subscription to SiriusXM satellite radio which just recently expired. They have been on me like a bad ex-girlfriend ever since. They call, email and send postal mail, even after being asked repeatedly to stop.
With the Audi, is it required to carry it to the dealer for annual/routine maintenance? Closest dealer is about a 2 hour drive, but just wondering the requirements for maintaining the warranty.
Not required. However, if you use the dealer for maintenance there is a higher chance that a catastrophic out-of-warranty problem will be partially/fully covered by Audi as a goodwill gesture. Just don’t bring it to jiffy lube, I would find an independent mechanic specializing in European makes.

What I meant earlier is that the Audi may be a better choice if you care about the driving experience. Lexus is great for getting from point A to point B reliably. But if your automotive tastes include some level of passion or sportiness (keeping in mind this is an SUV after all), then you may want something beyond the Lexus snooze button. Of course the Audi is more expensive to maintain, but it’s well worth it to me - especially since I haven’t run into any major issues.

ugaDAWGS09
Posts: 367
Joined: Wed May 15, 2013 4:34 pm

Re: Lexus RX 350, Audi Q5, or Volvo XC 60

Post by ugaDAWGS09 » Wed May 16, 2018 1:53 pm

audioaxes wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 12:17 pm
just a random data point but I recently bought a used 2016 RX350 with 20K miles. Choose this car over other luxury options due to assumed reliability. Less than a 2 weeks later its at the dealership due to power boost issue (car was not starting and had to override to get it going), and passenger AC was suddenly blowing hot. Was told it would have cost "thousands" for these repairs if it wasnt under warranty. Now I'm wondering is this going to happen again in another 20K miles just as the warranty expires.
I know the feeling. I drive an 14 gmc sierra with less than 50k miles and just had a 1600 dollar AC bill. These big maintenance issues can happen with any manufacturer.

ssquared87
Posts: 642
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:54 am

Re: Lexus RX 350, Audi Q5, or Volvo XC 60

Post by ssquared87 » Wed May 16, 2018 2:23 pm

The new BMW x3 is far superior to any of those in terms of driving dynamics and ergonomics. The Audi does have a cooler looking interior though, so those two would be my top two choices.

While the x3 is a completely new design, it's based on a powertrain that BMW has been using for about 3 years and reliability is above average on that powertrain.

The XC60 looks great, but Volvo's reliability leaves much to be desired.

The Toyota RX is ugly, has a low budget interior, and has an infotainment system with ergonomics so poor that you're likely to wrap yourself around a tree trying to change a radio station. The NX is even worse. But it has a reputation for reliability (although Audi and BMW are not far behind since they've been improving their reliability drastically over the last 10 years while toyota has remained stagnant in more ways than one)

ssquared87
Posts: 642
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:54 am

Re: Lexus RX 350, Audi Q5, or Volvo XC 60

Post by ssquared87 » Wed May 16, 2018 2:35 pm

WhiteMaxima wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 11:40 am
Q5 Quattro, all-time all wheel drive. RX is more reliable> XC has a lot safety heritage. I like more sport feeling. So Q5 2.0T or 3.0T is my choice.
All of these things are perceptions that dont necessarily hold true anymore. Audi's reliability is much higher than it has been in the past, arguably very close to lexus. XC is known for safety, but I'm willing to bet a Q5 or X3 is just as safe, they just haven't been marketed as such the way the volvo has, but if you look at features and chasis materials and construction techniques they'd compare similarly

WhiteMaxima
Posts: 1209
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 5:04 pm

Re: Lexus RX 350, Audi Q5, or Volvo XC 60

Post by WhiteMaxima » Wed May 16, 2018 2:58 pm

The JD power survey still show Lexus is at the top tier of quality. Don't know Audi and Volvo quality. But the paint quality of Lexus is way better than Audi and Volvo. Toyota use much better paint than VW and Volvo. if you like your 10 year old car still shinning like new. Choose Lexus. For me, I like the driving experience of any Quattro.

Sandi_k
Posts: 749
Joined: Sat May 16, 2015 11:55 am
Location: SF Bay Area

Re: Lexus RX 350, Audi Q5, or Volvo XC 60

Post by Sandi_k » Wed May 16, 2018 5:00 pm

For those saying the Lexus is a snooze-fest - note that I said I ordered mine with a Sport Suspension. Also now enshrined in the F-Sport models, *and* in the hybrid RX450 - which has VDIM as a standard feature.

I agree that the platform can exhibit noticeable body roll in corners - the stiffer sport package helps a lot with this. And presumably, the smaller NX300h will be sportier as well, since it has a shorter wheelbase than the RX350.

inbox788
Posts: 5271
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:24 pm

Re: Lexus RX 350, Audi Q5, or Volvo XC 60

Post by inbox788 » Wed May 16, 2018 6:23 pm

ugaDAWGS09 wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 7:34 am
My tax rate? My state tax is 6.5%, is that what you are asking? I know its going to be hard to find one around 40k for the "new" body styles. It's really bad timing to be looking at some of these SUV's as they have just changed body styles. We really haven't looked at the Acura, but I'll read some reports and look at reliability, safety, etc. The RDX is a nice looking vehicle.
Yes. At 40k out the door ($2k tax for you, and extra $1k for me), I'd be interested in the cars you're talking about too, but with my 9%+ tax, I'd be budgeting $45-50k for some desired options. To hit the price point, you'd have to settle for a base NX or RDX; all very nice cars, but no comparison if you're going up $5-10k in budget.

corgimom11
Posts: 68
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:46 pm

Re: Lexus RX 350, Audi Q5, or Volvo XC 60

Post by corgimom11 » Wed May 16, 2018 7:01 pm

I love my Lexus RX. I have a 2016 F-Sport. And others are right, that would be a bit beyond your budget point. But I think it has the right mix of reliability, handling & comfort. I enjoy being able to drive it in eco mode when I'm on my morning commute, or being able to change the suspension to sport or sport+ when I am wanting a bit more pep in my step while I drive.

I picked mine up as they were having 2017s arrive at the dealership. I was around $53K out the door and am planning to have it for many years. I don't have every single option, but the right mix and the priority in terms of comfort for me.

abonder
Posts: 220
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:52 am

Re: Lexus RX 350, Audi Q5, or Volvo XC 60

Post by abonder » Wed May 16, 2018 11:37 pm

It seems that reliability/durability is top priority. Obviously fuel economy plays into it with the longish commute. I think you should hone in on a 2-year-old RX. It’s a commodity - there’s always a ton of them off lease and you should be able to pick up for around 30k. Livesoft wrote a post a while back about his process of getting a very good deal on this model. Audi and BMW have moved up considerably in reliability ratings. That being said, these vehicles will always cost considerably more to maintain even if the reliability is good. For a person prioritizing reliability and driving many miles per year, I’d have to go Lexus.

Although your wife may feel that an suv is needed, I would consider if there’s the possibility that a sedan could substitute for the SUV. I’ve ridden in a friends 2018 Accord Touring 1.5T and I was blown away by how impressive it was for a 30k vehicle. Smooth, luxurious, huge back seat, incredible gas mileage for a decent-sized vehicle. Sedans aren’t popular, so despite the fact that the new ones are better than ever, the dealers can’t sell them. You benefit.

User avatar
Voltron
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:00 pm
Location: California

Re: Lexus RX 350, Audi Q5, or Volvo XC 60

Post by Voltron » Thu May 17, 2018 1:30 am

2016 Audi Q5 3.0T here.

Love, love my vehicle. I had to decide between the 2016 redesigned Lexus RX350 and Q5 and ultimately the Q5 experience much better. Ride sportier, former, Quattro adds to performance and such a great combo with the torque of the V6. I respect the turbo 4 cylinder 2.0T but the torque of the supercharged V6 so much fun. I drive mostly freeway driven miles and estimate somehow 25 mpg. I should try to drive slower.

Reliability is awesome. No issues. Maintenance? 25K milestone coming up so will cost me $140 for what is basically and oil change inspection.

Maybe consider preowned? I feel the body aged well. Then again the redesign 2018 Audi Q5 isn’t a radical redesign. They have been making Q5s for years so it isn’t a reinvention of the wheel but rather a tweaking of it and 300lbs lighter among a few things. I really liked navigation and tech in my model so I can imagine even better in 2018.

Don’t worry about Sirius XM radio. If you don’t want it,simply speak with representative and tell them never contact or email or send you letters again. Stopped after that.

lazydavid
Posts: 1659
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:37 pm

Re: Lexus RX 350, Audi Q5, or Volvo XC 60

Post by lazydavid » Thu May 17, 2018 5:24 am

WhiteMaxima wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 11:40 am
Q5 Quattro, all-time all wheel drive. RX is more reliable> XC has a lot safety heritage. I like more sport feeling. So Q5 2.0T or 3.0T is my choice.
The 2018+ Q5 has "Quattro Ultra" which is AWD on demand, not full-time AWD. In less dynamic driving situations, it remains FWD until additional traction is needed, to improve fuel economy. Also the 3.0T is no longer available in the Q5. On this platform, it is exclusive to the far sportier SQ5 model. The SQ5 also has the old-style permanent AWD Quattro system, with a default 40/60 front/rear split for better driving dynamics.

SQ5 would be my choice if you value an engaging drive. RX350 if you don't care at all and want a transportation appliance. Q5 is in between (but far closer to the SQ5).
WhiteMaxima wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 2:58 pm
But the paint quality of Lexus is way better than Audi and Volvo. Toyota use much better paint than VW and Volvo. if you like your 10 year old car still shinning like new. Choose Lexus.
The paint on my 2007 RX350 is literally the worst I've seen since those GM paint jobs in the 80s that faded and peeled off in sheets. Within the first 12-18 months it started chipping and rusting, and now at the 12 year mark it looks like complete ****.

ugaDAWGS09
Posts: 367
Joined: Wed May 15, 2013 4:34 pm

Re: Lexus RX 350, Audi Q5, or Volvo XC 60

Post by ugaDAWGS09 » Thu May 17, 2018 6:56 am

Can someone explain the maintenance plans that Audi offers? It seems you pay up front for maintenance, does this cover everything not covered under warranty such as basic oil changes, transmission fluid, tire rotation, etc.

3.141592653589793238
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:31 pm

Re: Lexus RX 350, Audi Q5, or Volvo XC 60

Post by 3.141592653589793238 » Thu May 17, 2018 7:18 am

ugaDAWGS09 wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 6:56 am
Can someone explain the maintenance plans that Audi offers? It seems you pay up front for maintenance, does this cover everything not covered under warranty such as basic oil changes, transmission fluid, tire rotation, etc.
Here's what I found about Audi warranties. The New Vehicle Limited Warranty comes with every new vehicle, the AudiCare and Term Care Select things are optional purchases.

New Vehicle Limited Warranty
Our limited warranty is simple. Four years. 50,000 miles. Whichever occurs first, you're covered at no additional charge.

As an Audi owner, you will receive:

The first scheduled maintenance service at 10,000 miles or 12 months, whichever occurs first, at no additional charge
Four years or 50,000 miles, whichever occurs first
12-year limited warranty against corrosion perforation
Audi 24-hour roadside assistance for four years
Audi Certified pre-owned Limited Warranty
If there is remaining coverage from the Audi New Car Limited Warranty at the time of your Certified pre-owned purchase, the Audi New Car Limited Warranty provides coverage on the Certified pre-owned vehicle until its expiration, either four years from the original in-service date or at 50,000 miles, whichever occurs first. When the Audi New Car Limited Warranty coverage ends, the Audi Certified pre-owned Limited Warranty becomes effective and provides coverage for a period of two years or up to 50,000 miles, whichever occurs first, not to exceed 100,000 total vehicle miles.
Prepaid scheduled maintenance
2010-2016 AudiCare: http://audilibrary.audiusa.com/services ... index.html
2017-2018 AudiCare: http://audilibrary.audiusa.com/services ... p=AudiCare

Coverage for virtually any mechanical failure
Term Care Select: https://www.audiusa.com/content/dam/aud ... e-2016.pdf

2018 Maintenance Schedule
https://www.audiusa.com/content/dam/aud ... r-2018.pdf

dsmclone
Posts: 160
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:50 am

Re: Lexus RX 350, Audi Q5, or Volvo XC 60

Post by dsmclone » Thu May 17, 2018 7:21 am

I'd recommend test driving a Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring or Signature. Both can be bought for less than $40k, they are loaded, better looking than these 3, sportier, great interior, proven reliability, etc.

3.141592653589793238
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:31 pm

Re: Lexus RX 350, Audi Q5, or Volvo XC 60

Post by 3.141592653589793238 » Thu May 17, 2018 7:26 am

Also, I just remembered one actual complaint I have about the SQ5. It has this functionality called "Auto Start Stop", which causes the engine to stop running when you have your foot on the brake and come to a complete stop. When you release the brake the engine starts again automatically.

This freaked me out the first time I discovered it. It is possible to disable via a button on the center console, but it re-activates each time you start the vehicle. I read that it may be possible to permanently disable via OBD-II, but I haven't tried that yet.

I'm not sure if forcing it to be enabled is some kind of emissions requirement or whatever, but it's a bit jarring when the car turns off all the time if you aren't used to it. (It is smart enough to not turn off the car if sufficient battery is being used, like the A/C system is on, etc.)

lazydavid
Posts: 1659
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:37 pm

Re: Lexus RX 350, Audi Q5, or Volvo XC 60

Post by lazydavid » Thu May 17, 2018 7:28 am

ugaDAWGS09 wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 6:56 am
Can someone explain the maintenance plans that Audi offers? It seems you pay up front for maintenance, does this cover everything not covered under warranty such as basic oil changes, transmission fluid, tire rotation, etc.
Prepaid maintenance is usually a bad deal, unless you can get a steep discount. In Audi's case, it's $810-1080 for four service visits over a 5-year period. Based on the maintenance schedule, this gets you:

Four oil/filter changes
Two brake fluid changes
One ATF change
Two cabin microfilters
One engine air filter (V8 and TDI models only)
One set of sparkplugs (S models only)
Battery replacement, if necessary

Plus all the standard inspection/lubrication that should be included in any visit. It's not horrid if you plan on doing all of your scheduled maintenance at the dealer anyway. But a good indy would still be quite a bit cheaper, and DIY obviously even cheaper than that.

ugaDAWGS09
Posts: 367
Joined: Wed May 15, 2013 4:34 pm

Re: Lexus RX 350, Audi Q5, or Volvo XC 60

Post by ugaDAWGS09 » Thu May 17, 2018 7:32 am

3.141592653589793238 wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 7:18 am
ugaDAWGS09 wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 6:56 am
Can someone explain the maintenance plans that Audi offers? It seems you pay up front for maintenance, does this cover everything not covered under warranty such as basic oil changes, transmission fluid, tire rotation, etc.
Here's what I found about Audi warranties. The New Vehicle Limited Warranty comes with every new vehicle, the AudiCare and Term Care Select things are optional purchases.

New Vehicle Limited Warranty
Our limited warranty is simple. Four years. 50,000 miles. Whichever occurs first, you're covered at no additional charge.

As an Audi owner, you will receive:

The first scheduled maintenance service at 10,000 miles or 12 months, whichever occurs first, at no additional charge
Four years or 50,000 miles, whichever occurs first
12-year limited warranty against corrosion perforation
Audi 24-hour roadside assistance for four years
Audi Certified pre-owned Limited Warranty
If there is remaining coverage from the Audi New Car Limited Warranty at the time of your Certified pre-owned purchase, the Audi New Car Limited Warranty provides coverage on the Certified pre-owned vehicle until its expiration, either four years from the original in-service date or at 50,000 miles, whichever occurs first. When the Audi New Car Limited Warranty coverage ends, the Audi Certified pre-owned Limited Warranty becomes effective and provides coverage for a period of two years or up to 50,000 miles, whichever occurs first, not to exceed 100,000 total vehicle miles.
Prepaid scheduled maintenance
2010-2016 AudiCare: http://audilibrary.audiusa.com/services ... index.html
2017-2018 AudiCare: http://audilibrary.audiusa.com/services ... p=AudiCare

Coverage for virtually any mechanical failure
Term Care Select: https://www.audiusa.com/content/dam/aud ... e-2016.pdf

2018 Maintenance Schedule
https://www.audiusa.com/content/dam/aud ... r-2018.pdf
Thanks for the information. They really seem to have a lot of required maintenance and I'm sure these inspections are costly unless you purchase the packages. I'm going to show this to my wife and see what she thinks about the maintenance schedule. It seems pretty straightforward until you get past 50k miles then you have to purchase the packages individually. This tells me past 50k miles expect to have issues that require a lot of service and cost.

ugaDAWGS09
Posts: 367
Joined: Wed May 15, 2013 4:34 pm

Re: Lexus RX 350, Audi Q5, or Volvo XC 60

Post by ugaDAWGS09 » Thu May 17, 2018 7:35 am

lazydavid wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 7:28 am
ugaDAWGS09 wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 6:56 am
Can someone explain the maintenance plans that Audi offers? It seems you pay up front for maintenance, does this cover everything not covered under warranty such as basic oil changes, transmission fluid, tire rotation, etc.
Prepaid maintenance is usually a bad deal, unless you can get a steep discount. In Audi's case, it's $810-1080 for four service visits over a 5-year period. Based on the maintenance schedule, this gets you:

Four oil/filter changes
Two brake fluid changes
One ATF change
Two cabin microfilters
One engine air filter (V8 and TDI models only)
One set of sparkplugs (S models only)
Battery replacement, if necessary

Plus all the standard inspection/lubrication that should be included in any visit. It's not horrid if you plan on doing all of your scheduled maintenance at the dealer anyway. But a good indy would still be quite a bit cheaper, and DIY obviously even cheaper than that.
If she decides on an Audi or other German vehicle I'm going to make sure we can find a local mechanic first. I've always taken my truck (GMC) to a quick lube, so I've never had to deal with this type of maintenance.

User avatar
Go Blue 99
Posts: 821
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:42 pm

Re: Lexus RX 350, Audi Q5, or Volvo XC 60

Post by Go Blue 99 » Thu May 17, 2018 8:33 am

All three of those are truly nice cars, and it's hard to go wrong with any of them. It really comes down to doing test drives and determining which one wows you the most.

I would also look at the new '19 Acura RDX. It will be cheaper than Lexus & the German brands:

https://www.acura.com/future-vehicles/a ... lsrc=aw.ds

azanon
Posts: 1842
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:34 am
Location: Little Rock, AR

Re: Lexus RX 350, Audi Q5, or Volvo XC 60

Post by azanon » Thu May 17, 2018 10:57 am

Go Blue 99 wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 8:33 am
All three of those are truly nice cars, and it's hard to go wrong with any of them. It really comes down to doing test drives and determining which one wows you the most.

I would also look at the new '19 Acura RDX. It will be cheaper than Lexus & the German brands:

https://www.acura.com/future-vehicles/a ... lsrc=aw.ds
Wow that sure is nice looking.

The luxury brands in this class though I think are going to end up feeling some serious pressure from the 2019 Rav4, esp the top end hybrid version. The non-luxury vehicles are getting so nice that it's hard for luxury lines to make a case for paying a premium.

ssquared87
Posts: 642
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:54 am

Re: Lexus RX 350, Audi Q5, or Volvo XC 60

Post by ssquared87 » Thu May 17, 2018 11:00 am

ugaDAWGS09 wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 7:32 am
3.141592653589793238 wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 7:18 am
ugaDAWGS09 wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 6:56 am
Can someone explain the maintenance plans that Audi offers? It seems you pay up front for maintenance, does this cover everything not covered under warranty such as basic oil changes, transmission fluid, tire rotation, etc.
Here's what I found about Audi warranties. The New Vehicle Limited Warranty comes with every new vehicle, the AudiCare and Term Care Select things are optional purchases.

New Vehicle Limited Warranty
Our limited warranty is simple. Four years. 50,000 miles. Whichever occurs first, you're covered at no additional charge.

As an Audi owner, you will receive:

The first scheduled maintenance service at 10,000 miles or 12 months, whichever occurs first, at no additional charge
Four years or 50,000 miles, whichever occurs first
12-year limited warranty against corrosion perforation
Audi 24-hour roadside assistance for four years
Audi Certified pre-owned Limited Warranty
If there is remaining coverage from the Audi New Car Limited Warranty at the time of your Certified pre-owned purchase, the Audi New Car Limited Warranty provides coverage on the Certified pre-owned vehicle until its expiration, either four years from the original in-service date or at 50,000 miles, whichever occurs first. When the Audi New Car Limited Warranty coverage ends, the Audi Certified pre-owned Limited Warranty becomes effective and provides coverage for a period of two years or up to 50,000 miles, whichever occurs first, not to exceed 100,000 total vehicle miles.
Prepaid scheduled maintenance
2010-2016 AudiCare: http://audilibrary.audiusa.com/services ... index.html
2017-2018 AudiCare: http://audilibrary.audiusa.com/services ... p=AudiCare

Coverage for virtually any mechanical failure
Term Care Select: https://www.audiusa.com/content/dam/aud ... e-2016.pdf

2018 Maintenance Schedule
https://www.audiusa.com/content/dam/aud ... r-2018.pdf
Thanks for the information. They really seem to have a lot of required maintenance and I'm sure these inspections are costly unless you purchase the packages. I'm going to show this to my wife and see what she thinks about the maintenance schedule. It seems pretty straightforward until you get past 50k miles then you have to purchase the packages individually. This tells me past 50k miles expect to have issues that require a lot of service and cost.
Or you could just get the new BMW X3 which most reviewers seem to prefer over the Audi and it includes maintenance for 3 years. After the 3 years, your maintenance basically consists of oil changes every 10k miles ($100 give or take at a BMW dealer, or $50-$60 if you do it your self and it is extremely easy, brakes whenever they wear out will cost roughly $200 for each axle at the BMW dealer or you can DIY for about $100 each axle, and tires)

Post Reply