sharing cars with two kids home from college?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
gips

sharing cars with two kids home from college?

Post by gips » Tue May 15, 2018 2:20 pm

When my youngest went off to college last fall, it seemed to make sense to sell our repair-prone, old minivan as opposed to letting it sit/depreciate in our driveway. The kids will be home from college in a week, they're both working locally and will need a car to get to/from work and around town. My wife and I are active, it will probably be tough on everyone to share two cars.

wondering what other forum members do? suck it up? short-term lease/rental? other ideas?

livesoft

Re: sharing cars with two kids home from college?

Post by livesoft » Tue May 15, 2018 2:23 pm

I told my kids to make their own transportation arrangements. They could

1. Ride bikes.
2. Bum rides from friends.
3. Ask to use our cars.
4. Chauffeur us to places we wanted to go, then pick us up later.
5. Ask to be dropped off while we kept the car.
6. Public transportation.
7. Uber / Lyft
8. Car pool

At no time did we consider getting an extra car.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Tue May 15, 2018 2:24 pm

gips wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 2:20 pm
other ideas?
Let them figure it out themselves. Seriously.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Tue May 15, 2018 2:25 pm

Good time to decide what new car you'd like. Buy that for yourself. Let the kids share the oldest car. When they go back to college, sell the oldest car.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

gasman

Post by gasman » Tue May 15, 2018 2:26 pm

Depending on timing, Have kid take you or wife or both to work before doing their thing with the car and then pick you up when done.

Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 » Tue May 15, 2018 2:26 pm

I'd buy a late model Civic/Corolla for each of them and have them contribute whatever you feel is appropriate or give/loan them X amount towards a car assuming they are working hard in college which is a full time job.

Determined

Post by Determined » Tue May 15, 2018 2:27 pm

gips wrote:
When my youngest went off to college last fall, it seemed to make sense to sell our repair-prone, old minivan as opposed to letting it sit/depreciate in our driveway. The kids will be home from college in a week, they're both working locally and will need a car to get to/from work and around town. My wife and I are active, it will probably be tough on everyone to share two cars.

wondering what other forum members do? suck it up? short-term lease/rental? other ideas?
I have had one car for the last 20 months in a small town with no public transportation or Uber/Lyft access. My daugnter and I have figured out two Christmas breaks and one summer. I teach, so summer is not as big of an issue. Still we communicated a lot. We both got some occasional rides, I borrowed my neighbor's car a few times in a pinch, and she only left me stranded at home once. She sometimes acted like it was a huge inconvenience, but she's not paying for any of it, right? She's staying in NY this summer. Definitely the right move for me.
Last edited by Determined on Tue May 15, 2018 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

markcoop

Post by markcoop » Tue May 15, 2018 2:35 pm

I just got a new car for me, but kept the minivan. So now I have 3 cars and 2 kids home from college. My wife needs a car, so really it's two cars for 3 of us. I just plan to work it out. I actually like to bike to work, so do that sometimes. Kids drop me off at work sometimes. Kids get a ride sometimes. I get a ride home from work once in a while. And, if all else fails, an occasional Uber can be called. That is definitely cheaper than getting a fourth car. The old minivan is great for bikes and kayaks. Also, prefer big car for my daughter that I don't care if it's gets a few more scratches.
Mark

Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger » Wed May 16, 2018 11:41 am

gips wrote:

I don't think it's all that tough. We get by with two cars, and three at home. Younger daughter in school, wife stays at home, I work. I'll drive usually, and daughter normally takes car. If wife wants in, we work it out. It does take away the total convenience of always having a car whenever you want, but that's life. When my older daughter has visited, it usually works out too. But, she has also rented a low cost car ($100 for 5 days) thru AAA/Hertz, for more flexibility. It's actually opened my eyes to how unnecessary it is to have a car for everyone.

Mike Scott

Post by Mike Scott » Wed May 16, 2018 11:45 am

[/quote]
[/quote]

This.

mmmodem

Post by mmmodem » Wed May 16, 2018 11:54 am

We shared our parents cars when we were home from college. When it was inconvenient for them, we bummed rides from friends. At no time did they discuss getting an extra car. I remember being called in to work for an extra shift, there was no way around walking the two miles home and back.

PFInterest

Post by PFInterest » Wed May 16, 2018 12:01 pm

Pajamas wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 2:24 pm
gips wrote:
other ideas?
This. You can be as helpful as you want.

audioaxes

Post by audioaxes » Wed May 16, 2018 12:27 pm

so I'm assuming neither has a car back at college? If they do they has it been considered to have them drive it back home? I had friends who turned driving home from college across the country into enjoyable road trips.

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Wed May 16, 2018 12:46 pm

gips wrote:

How local is "locally". If its under 5 or 10 miles depending on the streets and hilliness then bikes will work great for when it doesn't rain. Uber can probably pick up the slack when it does rain.

jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 » Wed May 16, 2018 1:00 pm

Pajamas wrote:
gips wrote:
other ideas?

The best idea yet.

It is kind of curious on this board that parents are asking about how their children should handle things and rarely the children themselves.

We had two options - the local bus or the SLE.

Watty

Post by Watty » Wed May 16, 2018 1:16 pm

Pajamas wrote:
gips wrote:
other ideas?
+1

Unless they have unusually well paying job or an important internship it likely makes no financial sense to get another car just so they can get paid minimum wage to flip burgers.

If they don't figure out a way to make a normal job work they might be able to do work for people in the neighborhood doing things like painting and yard work.

I would also have a list of significant projects for them to do a like painting my house that they would be expected to do, without pay, if they could not figure out some other work.

It is a bit late but one thing to do would be to take a hard look at their class schedules to see if going to summer school this summer could allow them to graduate a semester earlier. The pace of summer school classes is very fast so they might not want to take an important core class but they could take an elective class OK in the summer.

Most college campuses are very walkable or bikeable so even if they don't take any classes they might be able to work at at job near the college campus easier than they could work at home. If they have a 12 month lease on an apartment they may already have a place to live too.

mhadden1

Post by mhadden1 » Wed May 16, 2018 1:25 pm

Pajamas wrote:
gips wrote:
other ideas?
So true. Expend no effort or expense trying to help out family or friends. Great way of avoiding future interactions too.
Oh I can't, can I? That's what they said to Thomas Edison, mighty inventor, Thomas Lindberg, mighty flyer,and Thomas Shefsky, mighty like a rose.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Wed May 16, 2018 1:27 pm

mhadden1 wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 1:25 pm
So true. Expend no effort or expense trying to help out family or friends. Great way of avoiding future interactions too.
What you are saying is horribly cynical and more importantly, does not follow from what I said. I think it is interesting that you think that way, though. :beer

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Wed May 16, 2018 1:49 pm

Can you do it with 2 cars? Yes.

Do you want to? Unsure. We can give you ideas, but implementing is all on you, spouse, kids. We've (most) created lives that require cars. I would gladly not have a car and ride my bike. Weather, distance, kids, stuff, things. :oops:

Are you willing/able to bike to work? How far for each kid to work? Can you get dropped off and picked up by spouse or kid?

I maintain a fleet of 4 nice/older used cars. It is work. 4 oil changes, 4 tire rotations, routine maintenance, tires, occasional repairs. No free lunch. One car shared by the kids doesn't seem to fix the problems unless they are willing/able to share. Additional cars mean more insurance, gas, parking, car washes.

There are a lot of good/used cars out there. Hidden gems in a sea of junk. Deals and nice cars can be found with some searching. But, it isn't a free lunch either. Let us know which way you end up going.
Where to spend your time: | 1. You completely control <--spend your time here! | 2. You partially control <--spend your time here! | 3. You have no control <--spend no time here!

snowman

Post by snowman » Wed May 16, 2018 2:14 pm

Yes, it can be done. We did it last summer, and will do it again this year, starting today.

I told both kids I am not buying a third car for the summer, but that we are willing to share our 2 cars. When the younger one said that's impossible, I said it surely is, but if she really wants a third car, she is free to buy it herself. That ended the discussion right there.

They actually figured it out among themselves. They created shared google spreadsheet with the times when they will need a car for the upcoming week. That worked very well. For the times when it didn't, they used friends and uber. I agree with advice given above - let them figure it out. Trust me, they will.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Wed May 16, 2018 6:45 pm

gips wrote:

You didn't give a budget.

If your work schedules are steady, they can take you to work and/or pick you up, and have the car for the day. Do either of you have carpool options?

You might get a car with only a few months left on the lease for cheap with no miles and pay per mile overage.

http://www.swapalease.com/lease/details ... id=1216739
http://www.leasetrader.com/2015_Ford_Fo ... 6339.xhtml
http://www.carleasedepot.com/Lexus-leas ... /3753.html

Any number of car sharing or short term rental if available near you, like Turo, ZipCar, LeaseQuit, etc.

Drive for Uber! https://www.uber.com/drive/vehicle-solutions/

You could buy a cheap car off craiglist or other and sell it in a few months. Should lose too much, and if you buy low, sell high, you might make a little on the trades. If you're near a college, graduating students are getting rid of their rides before summer, and new students buying in the fall.

jay99

Post by jay99 » Wed May 16, 2018 6:56 pm

May not be popular idea but went with two LX honda accord leases for kids....no repairs, Safety galore, and reliable cheap transportation compared to my german autos.

Nutmeg

Post by Nutmeg » Wed May 16, 2018 8:27 pm

gips wrote:

When we were in a similar situation, we lived in a location where many of the ideas that have been suggested wouldn’t have worked for us, primarily due to a lack of public transportation. Also, our children needed reliable ways to travel to and from college as well as to and from their summer jobs, which were related to their future careers. It was a pleasure for us to be able to buy each of them a basic car, in different years. We stipulated that this was the only car we would ever buy for them, and that they should plan to start saving for the next car so they would have the money for it when needed.

I am not advocating that everyone take the same approach, but you asked what other forum members did, and that is what we did.

We bought the cars in years during which we weren’t planning to claim our children as dependents anyway. It doesn’t sound like this is a solution you are considering, but just in case someone is, I should mention that the IRS considers the entire amount of the gift of a car to be support in the year given. However, if you allow a child to drive a car you own, a much smaller amount is considered in support (perhaps maintenance and insurance costs for the period the child drives it.)

gips

Post by gips » Thu May 17, 2018 6:05 pm

thanks for all the replies! my wife and i are retired so don't need a car for work but, as noted, are active, and out and about during the day.

as tempting as "let them figure it out" seems, I'm not sure that's really going to work. They both need to be at work five days per week, on different schedules, there is no public transportation and we live in an area where bicycles won't work (extreme hills, narrow roads, no shoulder and even experienced bicyclists (including me) avoid this area)).

I'm thinking maybe my wife and I will share one car and they can "figure it out" with the other car.

best,

MathWizard

Post by MathWizard » Fri May 18, 2018 4:10 pm

I won't tell you what to do, just what we did.

For each of our two sons, we got ourselves a newer car, and let the kids use our
old one during college. After the older got settled in at work, we deeded the car to him,
and he has already replaced it (paying cash) when it required significant repairs.

The younger is just out, and we will deed him the car soon.

I invest so that I have money that I can do things like this.

celia

Post by celia » Fri May 18, 2018 4:48 pm

Other transportation ideas your kids could consider:

live someplace that is walking distance to their job (maybe with a friend?)
skateboard
roller skate
jog
have a friend/co-worker pick them up and pay them for gas