Rent Car before Buying

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
fabdog

Rent Car before Buying

Post by fabdog » Tue May 15, 2018 1:44 pm

We're in the market for a new car over the next few months, and have started winnowing down the list.

Once concept we'd like to try is once we get down to the final 2 or 3 vehicles is rent them for a week to try out.

We're likely to end up on Toyota/Honda/Subaru models which i don't find on any rental websites in our area.

Any creative ideas on how we can get 1 week (or even 2-3 day) rentals on models that are not popular with the rental fleets?

Thanks

Mike

soccerrules

Re: Rent Car before Buying

Post by soccerrules » Tue May 15, 2018 2:01 pm

although I have not purchased a new car in 13 years I recall several situations back in the day where the dealership told me " take it for the weekend" and let me know what you think on Monday. I didn't take them up on the offer.

I am not sure if you could do something similar in today's climate, etc - YMMV

If I wanted to do what you are attempting to do, I would call Enterprise or search "rent honda crv in your city" -- I just did this and a website Turo popped up and it appears to be a AirBNB for cars ??-- who know.
Don't let your outflow exceed your income or your upkeep will be your downfall.

jasonrecite25

Post by jasonrecite25 » Tue May 15, 2018 2:04 pm

As you've figured out, you can't rent cars that rental companies don't offer for rental. Have you already talked to your local dealer? I've had a handful of different experiences in dealing with larger dealerships. One let me take a car for 2 full days and another let me take it from roughly open to close of their dealership within a single day.

Per the earlier post, Turo is definitely an option if you want to pay for the rental.

chevca

Post by chevca » Tue May 15, 2018 2:12 pm

I've never understood this rent a car to see if you like it thing. It seems like a waste of money to me.

You don't really know if you like a car, what you like about it, or what you dislike about it until a good few months have passed by. You've obviously narrowed it down to a few cars you like and could own probably happily. What may sway you to buy on in this one week trial thing, could lead to something you really dislike about a car after 6 months of owning it and make you wish you bought the other one.

Pick the ones you like read some reviews, find some owner forums, ask around here, and buy one. My take on it anyway.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Tue May 15, 2018 2:13 pm

Ask the dealer if they have a similar car they use as a loaner.

EJS22

Post by EJS22 » Tue May 15, 2018 2:15 pm

I would check out Turo for cars that are not typically used by car rental companies. It might not be the same year though.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Tue May 15, 2018 2:19 pm

Did you do an internet search with term "Rent A Subaru Outback" or "Rent a Highlander" or "Rent a ...." instead of just looking at some rental car web sites?
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

fabdog

Post by fabdog » Tue May 15, 2018 2:27 pm

livesoft wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 2:19 pm
Did you do an internet search with term "Rent A Subaru Outback" or "Rent a Highlander" or "Rent a ...." instead of just looking at some rental car web sites?
Yes. Unfortunately that did not lead to anything in my area. Had also found Turo but also not much selection in my area.

Likely will just see if the dealer will let us take the car (or a loaner) for a day or 2. We are narrowing it down, and I've read a ton of reviews, but would be nice to try the car in a few situations (on the highway, around our semi rural area, in traffic) vs what we'll get on a test drive at the dealer

Thanks!

Mike

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Tue May 15, 2018 2:30 pm

Well, you will just have a take a week vacation in an area that does have the car for rent then.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

chevca

Post by chevca » Tue May 15, 2018 2:38 pm

fabdog wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 2:27 pm
livesoft wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 2:19 pm
Yes. Unfortunately that did not lead to anything in my area. Had also found Turo but also not much selection in my area.

Likely will just see if the dealer will let us take the car (or a loaner) for a day or 2. We are narrowing it down, and I've read a ton of reviews, but would be nice to try the car in a few situations (on the highway, around our semi rural area, in traffic) vs what we'll get on a test drive at the dealer

Thanks!

Mike
You're talking about pretty similar cars. Unless you're looking at a 4 cylinder in one make and a V6 in another make, they're going to drive about the same for typical driving. I'd pick which has the interior you like best, since that's where you spend most of your time with the car, and which one would look best sitting in your driveway. Assuming you're talking about comparative models across the three, they're going to drive about the same.

rotorhead

Post by rotorhead » Tue May 15, 2018 3:51 pm

Unread post by chevca » Tue May 15, 2018 3:12 pm

I've never understood this rent a car to see if you like it thing. It seems like a waste of money to me.

You don't really know if you like a car, what you like about it, or what you dislike about it until a good few months have passed by. You've obviously narrowed it down to a few cars you like and could own probably happily. What may sway you to buy on in this one week trial thing, could lead to something you really dislike about a car after 6 months of owning it and make you wish you bought the other one.

Pick the ones you like read some reviews, find some owner forums, ask around here, and buy one. My take on it anyway.
+1
Excellent advice. I've found owner forums to be very good source of information.

increment

Post by increment » Tue May 15, 2018 4:22 pm

Toyota has a web page that can direct you to those dealers who rent cars.

wish

Post by wish » Tue May 15, 2018 4:45 pm

We did .........After buying a Buick Regal in 1998 and a Rav 4 in 2006 & finding the seats literally painful after relatively short trips and therefore having to dispose of them early, we ended up driving a Ford Taurus 2009 for a 2 week rental.

After doing several thousand miles out west, we both found the Ford so comfortable that we came home and bought one. Not an exciting car but still comfortable and reliable to date. The rental assignment was serendipitous and paid off all the way around.

fabdog

Post by fabdog » Tue May 15, 2018 5:30 pm

increment wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 4:22 pm
Toyota has a web page that can direct you to those dealers who rent cars.
Excellent. Thanks for the lead. For some reason I had not found that

Mike

BogleFanGal

Post by BogleFanGal » Wed May 16, 2018 7:45 am

Smart idea. I'd love to do this with the Honda accord or civic. We'll be in the market for another car soon and the only thing stopping me from considering Honda is the extensive list of complaints from people about the driver seat comfort. Almost all said it felt fine when road testing the car - was only after spending a few hours or days in it that their back, legs, etc started hurting badly. But since rental companies don't rent Hondas, that's going to be a challenge.

CorradoJr

Post by CorradoJr » Wed May 16, 2018 8:06 am

Read reviews and look or feedback about common problem areas.

I’ve never understood people buying relatively lower end cars, then regretting stuff like an uncomfortable seat. It is a cheaper car for a reason and after the lustre wears off you see things in a new light (ie seat comfort after a 6 hour trip vs the 30 minute test drive.)

I’ve never had any problems with Mercedes or BMW seats or any regrets about seat comfort. But I realize this is a different class of car.

BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon » Wed May 16, 2018 8:10 am

Hertz has a rent to buy program. I used it to buy my current car. You may find the cars you want in here: https://www.hertzcarsales.com
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather

tcassette

Post by tcassette » Wed May 16, 2018 5:32 pm

I got a loaner car from my Subaru dealer while they were doing warranty work that unexpectedly lasted all day. I had to sign a rental agreement (no charge, of course) whick looked similar to what a rental company would have. So check with the dealer for each brand you are interested in. Even if you have to pay some for an extended rental, it will probably be worth it.

newtonc

Post by newtonc » Wed May 16, 2018 8:17 pm

Thanks for the info on the Toyota rent to by program, I did not know about this. Having just purchased a 2018 Toyota Avalon I might not need it but wish I had been aware if this when buying.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Wed May 16, 2018 8:41 pm

fabdog wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 1:44 pm
We're likely to end up on Toyota/Honda/Subaru models which i don't find on any rental websites in our area.
I rent from the dealer that sells them. Often times they will let you have it for a couple days no charge or for a token fee. If you come back with a 1000 miles on the odometer, they might want a little more.