Interesting/Playful ideas for 1 year baby

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
naturetech

Interesting/Playful ideas for 1 year baby

Post by naturetech » Tue May 15, 2018 11:10 am

Hi Bogleheads,

We generally don't provide any mobile devices or play TV for baby , so seeking advice on interesting, playful activities for 1 year baby. Currently in the evening baby plays with toys, we play with the baby, we read books(she likes listening and turning pages of books), and we take baby for walk or park, so easily 3 hrs fly by. But we have another 1 to 2 hrs of time before baby sleeps. So I am checking if there any interesting activities or games we can play with our baby, so that she doesn't get bored. We don't want to give mobile devices.

Also any books recommendation list for 1 year baby.

Thanks in advance.

mega317

Re: Interesting/Playful ideas for 1 year baby

Post by mega317 » Tue May 15, 2018 11:29 am

You can't just goof off for 5 hours. Take her to the grocery store or whatever else you would do without a baby. It's good for everyone's health and sanity to be out in the world. Go to a pet store or humane society. Library. Also fun to include her in cleaning activities. More like she can chew on a rag while watching you clean. Take a bath. I commend your avoidance of screens.

What specific book doesn't really matter just pick something that you don't hate so she can see you enjoying it. I can't stand that Go the F to Sleep book, for example. I like books with surprise endings like The Little Mouse, The Red Ripe Strawberry, and The Big Hungry Bear, or Five Little Monkeys Wash the Car. It's nice to rotate books from the library and then just buy used copies of the ones that resonate.

winterfan

Post by winterfan » Tue May 15, 2018 11:33 am

My kid loved playing in the sink. I'd set up a chair and fill up the sink with water (and sometimes bubbles) and give her some spoons and cups. She entertained herself forever doing that.

41Fin

Post by 41Fin » Tue May 15, 2018 11:41 am

My daughter is a couple months older but loves her water table

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/ ... 9EQAvD_BwE

If you have outdoor space I'd recommend one.

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Tue May 15, 2018 11:47 am

naturetech wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 11:10 am
We generally don't provide any mobile devices or play TV for baby , so seeking advice on interesting, playful activities for 1 year baby. Currently in the evening baby plays with toys, we play with the baby, we read books(she likes listening and turning pages of books), and we take baby for walk or park, so easily 3 hrs fly by. But we have another 1 to 2 hrs of time before baby sleeps. So I am checking if there any interesting activities or games we can play with our baby, so that she doesn't get bored. We don't want to give mobile devices.
1 year old babies don't get bored as long as you are playing with them. Play with toys, play with puppets, play in the bathtub, go for walks, listen to music, sing, dance. It really doesn't matter as long as at least one parent is involved.
At that age the contents of the book aren't important.
What is important is the sound of your voice and bright-colored pictures on the pages. Any pasteboard book will do. And any Dr. Seuss book would work.

I started reading "Caps for Sale" to my grandchildren when they were old enough to listen.
I still read it now to my 4 year old grandson. My 6 year old granddaughter reads it to me.

chevca

Post by chevca » Tue May 15, 2018 12:19 pm

naturetech wrote:
Currently in the evening baby plays with toys, we play with the baby, we read books(she likes listening and turning pages of books), and we take baby for walk or park, so easily 3 hrs fly by. But we have another 1 to 2 hrs of time before baby sleeps.
No need to reinvent the wheel. You have pretty much got it nailed there. It's a 1 year old baby after all. :happy

djpeteski

Post by djpeteski » Tue May 15, 2018 12:54 pm

Wrestling. It causes you to be creative to come up with new names for moves. However, my own algorithm is pretty simple to learn:

<place> - the more desolate the better
<body part>
<verb> - needs to be a bit aggresive

For example, my 7 month old granddaughter got me with a badlands eye smash and a Death valley throat kick this past weekend. I responded with a Siberian toe hold.

Just paying attention to kids and allowing them to see things is a good time for them. I also applaud your lack of screen time.

PFInterest

Post by PFInterest » Tue May 15, 2018 12:55 pm

Literally anything without a phone. You're doing great.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Tue May 15, 2018 12:56 pm

At one year old, they just did whatever I did. Mostly it involved watching me and playing with whatever was handy. I find the hardest stage to keep them entertained is between when they start talking so you can understand them and before they can read.

GCD

Post by GCD » Tue May 15, 2018 1:03 pm

Kids often like boxes more than the contents. Give your kid a bunch of boxes of various sizes. Even better if you have enough room to make an obstacle course of tunnels. It doesn't have to be big for a baby.

This set up will last through middle-school with fort building and whatnot. Add blankets, chairs, etc.

chevca

Post by chevca » Tue May 15, 2018 1:05 pm

djpeteski wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 12:54 pm
Wrestling. It causes you to be creative to come up with new names for moves. However, my own algorithm is pretty simple to learn:

<place> - the more desolate the better
<body part>
<verb> - needs to be a bit aggresive

For example, my 7 month old granddaughter got me with a badlands eye smash and a Death valley throat kick this past weekend. I responded with a Siberian toe hold.

Just paying attention to kids and allowing them to see things is a good time for them. I also applaud your lack of screen time.
The worst is when babies get you with the Timbuktu nut crunch. :happy

stuper1

Post by stuper1 » Tue May 15, 2018 1:21 pm

I just want to congratulate you, because it sounds like you're doing great. Keep your precious ones away from TV and electronics for as long as you can -- no good comes from that stuff. You may want to look for a couple books called: "Books Children Love" and "Honey for a Child's Heart". Your library probably has them. They are basically lists of great books for children at various ages. Right now it's fairly easy, but as they get older, it's nice to know which great books are appropriate for different ages.

I really enjoy board games that are interesting. For example, I hate Monopoly. A website I really like is called boardgamegeek.com. You can find lots of great board games on there for various ages.

meens888

Post by meens888 » Tue May 15, 2018 1:26 pm

I am not a parent, but did help with my nephews. Aside from arts/crafts (finger painting)...you can start developing a childs tactile sensations with a tactile board or different textures. You can try different squares of cloths (satin, silk, linen, cotton), sponges, metal, beans in a ballon to prevent choking hazard, etc. At 1 years of age is may not very structured play, but they tend to develop these well over the next few years.

Nearly A Moose

Post by Nearly A Moose » Tue May 15, 2018 1:28 pm

You’re doing fine. Also no problem with taking them to run errands or do chores with you. It’s a one year old baby, so everything is new and interesting.
Pardon typos, I'm probably using my fat thumbs on a tiny phone.

Nearly A Moose

Post by Nearly A Moose » Tue May 15, 2018 1:29 pm

Also, singing. Even if you’re terrible, it’s great to sing to them. Especially songs with hand motions.
Pardon typos, I'm probably using my fat thumbs on a tiny phone.

warner25

Post by warner25 » Tue May 15, 2018 1:30 pm

I'm wondering how you can possibly have so much time that you run out of things to do. My work schedule is light, and my wife stays home with our two kids, and life still seems crazy. Our 18 month-old wakes up from her nap at 3:00 or 4:00, and it seems like just preparing dinner, eating, cleaning, and doing the bedtime routine keeps us going non-stop until the kids go to bed at 7:00. Playing is whatever we can do in the midst of all that to keep the kids out of the way while one parent gets stuff done. Then we keep cleaning and doing other chores for another hour. What time does your 1 year-old go to bed?

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Tue May 15, 2018 1:36 pm

I´ll just mention this, because it did evoke the most intense, sustained gales of laughter from my grandson that I ever succeeded in evoking. He was about eighteen months old--he was walking. We were outside, it had been raining, there was a fairly deep puddle, on the sidewalk, maybe 2" deep and three feet in diameter. I said "Watch this," took a bit of a leap while yelling "Here I go," or something like that, and jump smack dab into the middle of the puddle. It actually made more of a splash than I was expecting, and completely soaked the bottom 18" of my pants legs.

It was great.

So far my grandson's kids have not complained that I set a bad example.

Oddly enough, I tried the same thing with our second grandson and he wasn't all that impressed.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

2BAMS

Post by 2BAMS » Tue May 15, 2018 1:39 pm

Our 10 month old loves the bouncy jumper thingy. We also have another one where he can do a circle around a station shown below.

Both our son and daughter loved these. It got some of their energy out and helped them develop motor skills.

chevca

Post by chevca » Tue May 15, 2018 1:42 pm

warner25 wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 1:30 pm
I'm wondering how you can possibly have so much time that you run out of things to do. My work schedule is light, and my wife stays home with our two kids, and life still seems crazy. Our 18 month-old wakes up from her nap at 3:00 or 4:00, and it seems like just preparing dinner, eating, cleaning, and doing the bedtime routine keeps us going non-stop until the kids go to bed at 7:00. Playing is whatever we can do in the midst of all that to keep the kids out of the way while one parent gets stuff done. Then we keep cleaning and doing other chores for another hour. What time does your 1 year-old go to bed?
I was wondering that too. When mine were that little, it seemed nap time was the only chance to have some down time. Otherwise the day was busy from wake up until bed time.

DanMahowny

Post by DanMahowny » Tue May 15, 2018 1:44 pm

A puppy
Funding secured

Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth » Tue May 15, 2018 1:48 pm

Sounds like you're doing great. It's fine to take the baby with you places (grocery store, park, library [though most close pretty early], Church, friends' houses), too.

Blocks, magnets, balls, water table, large toy vehicles, stuffed animals, books - anything that can't be swallowed is fun with kids IMO. Give them a crayon or marker and let them color with you. (Don't expect much at that age.) Stickers, flowers and plants outside, your nose and eyeballs and ears, splashing in the bathtub: these are all fun things, too. (I'm literally just thinking out loud about things we do with our kids.)

(At 1, when they weren't playing our kids were generally just attached to one of us with whatever we were doing.)

Agreed that (s)he is still probably too young for any screen time so good for you.

LiterallyIronic

Post by LiterallyIronic » Tue May 15, 2018 1:59 pm

naturetech wrote:
Hi Bogleheads,

Thanks in advance.
Ours is 14 months. We, too, don't allow any screen time. My wife is at home with the baby all day, but they go on a walk or two every day, often go to the library, and spend plenty of time in the yard. Our neighbor has dogs, cats, and chickens, the our baby loves to watch them. We have various toys, of course, like dolls, blocks, cars, etc. And plenty of reading books. I get home by 5 and the baby is put to bed at 7, so dinner is in there along with mostly toys and books. I usually go on walks with the baby on the weekends. With the weather starting to get warm, we'll start going to splash pads and/or playing in the sprinklers.

HongKonger

Post by HongKonger » Tue May 15, 2018 2:20 pm

Music and singing. Sing everything you are doing. Buy some kiddy CDs like The Wiggles or Scotty and Lulu and sing and dance along. If you want your child to be bi-lingual, now would also be a good time to start with a second language.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Tue May 15, 2018 2:37 pm

HongKonger wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 2:20 pm
...Music and singing...
Your baby or toddler is someone who is guaranteed to love your singing.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

mrsbetsy

Post by mrsbetsy » Tue May 15, 2018 2:57 pm

At this age, the days sometimes seem long but the years are short.

One of my kids loved to be in a backpack type carrier. I carried her that way while I did dishes, laundry, etc. talking to her the entire time.

The other kid hated it and anything else that seemed to confine him anywhere.

So try it and see.

As an educational therapist, who is seeing a huge uptick in kids who are struggling in their visual ability to track words across the page, I applaud you and your efforts to eliminate screen time. The less time youngsters spend staring at tiny randomly moving visual fields, the better!

Sitting that baby in your lap and reading to them while occasionally running your finger under the words on the page is a tremendous gift.

My favorite books for this age are Pat the Bunny or Pat the Puppy type books.

If you are feeling a little bored with it all, that's normal. I often hired a little neighbor kid to be a mama's helper. For a few dollars, they were thrilled to play with the baby and it helps the baby's socialization too.

Loik098

Post by Loik098 » Tue May 15, 2018 4:22 pm

lthenderson wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 12:56 pm
At one year old, they just did whatever I did. Mostly it involved watching me and playing with whatever was handy.
+1

While spending quality time with your children is important, take care that you do not devote hours and hours to "entertaining" your children at an early age, for you might find that they will continue to look to you for this as they continue to grow older. Even very young children can learn and practice independence.

Watty

Post by Watty » Tue May 15, 2018 5:25 pm

naturetech wrote:
My grandson's favorites

Wheels on the Bus

https://www.amazon.com/Wheels-Bus-Pudgy ... e+bus+book

Monster at the end of the book

https://www.amazon.com/Monster-Sesame-S ... 820&sr=1-1

And especially the "First Flap Book Library" that comes in a box with a velcro tab and opening and closing the box is as much fun as the books.

https://www.amazon.com/Elmos-World-Firs ... ok+library

TxAg

Post by TxAg » Tue May 15, 2018 5:47 pm

How bout a water table?

rcjchicity

Post by rcjchicity » Tue May 15, 2018 9:35 pm

chevca wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 1:42 pm
warner25 wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 1:30 pm
I was wondering that too. When mine were that little, it seemed nap time was the only chance to have some down time. Otherwise the day was busy from wake up until bed time.
+1. After afternoon nap time and a snack, there's only about an hour, maybe two, for playtime before it's time to start prepping dinner. Then the make dinner->eat dinner -> bath ->bedtime routine sequence happens, with ideally lights out before 7:30 pm.

While chores aren't that exciting for adults, and incorporating a toddler makes things much less efficient, they have fun and learn things while modeling mommy and daddy. And you can actually get stuff done around the house.

Cyclone

Post by Cyclone » Wed May 16, 2018 12:00 am

You can start teaching sign language. There is even a "Dummies" book about it. Young children can communicate with sign language before they can talk.

I can understand limiting television, but there is The Baby Channel. I haven't watched it, but maybe it she would like it.

naturetech

Post by naturetech » Wed May 16, 2018 11:57 am

Thank you @mega317,@winterfan,@41Fin,@JoeRetire,@chevca,@djpeteski,@PFInterest,@lthenderson,@GCD,@chevca,@stuper1,@meens888,@Nearly,@Nearly,@warner25,@nisiprius,@2BAMS,@chevca,@DanMahowny,@Texanbybirth,@LiterallyIronic,@HongKonger,@nisiprius,@mrsbetsy,@Loik098,@Watty,@TxAg,@rcjchicity,@Cyclone for the response.

Just wanted to add, our baby sleeps around 10 P.M. I reach home from work around 4. So that is the reason, why we have so much time. Baby takes a small nap before actual bedtime at 10.P.M.

@mrsbetsy:- you hit the bull eye with this statement 'If you are feeling a little bored with it all, that's normal'. Sometimes I feel bored, and I didn't want the baby to feel the same. So thought of asking kind Bogleheads for advice.

Based on the post, I am summarizing the books and advice below so that it will be helpful for others too.

Websites
boardgamegeek.com

Books :-
  • Five little monkeys wash the car
  • Caps for Sale
  • Books Children Love
  • Honey for a Child's Heart
  • Pat the Bunny
  • Pat the Puppy
Play Ideas
  • Grocery or outdoor shopping
  • Water sink
  • finger painting
  • Singing
  • bouncy jumper thingy
  • Puppy
  • Water Table
  • Sign Language
Thank you all for taking time to provide wonderful advice.
Last edited by naturetech on Wed May 16, 2018 12:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mega317

Post by mega317 » Wed May 16, 2018 12:10 pm

naturetech wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 11:57 am
  • The Little Mouse
  • The red ripe strawberry
  • The big hungry bear
To be clear, this is one book.

naturetech

Post by naturetech » Wed May 16, 2018 12:13 pm

mega317 wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 12:10 pm
naturetech wrote:
  • The Little Mouse
  • The red ripe strawberry
  • The big hungry bear
To be clear, this is one book.
Thanks @mega317. Fixed it.

Watty

Post by Watty » Wed May 16, 2018 12:17 pm

naturetech wrote:
Just wanted to add, our baby sleeps around 10 P.M. I reach home from work around 4. So that is the reason, why we have so much time. Baby takes a small nap before actual bedtime at 10.P.M.
It would be good to talk with your pediatrician about the sleeping pattern, 10 PM seems very late for a one year old.

They had to work with my grandson to change his sleeping pattern and it took a few months but he is now getting to bed by about 7:30 PM and sleeping through the night and that seems to be working a lot better for everyone.

mariezzz

Post by mariezzz » Wed May 16, 2018 12:50 pm

Good job on avoiding screens. It's amazingly hard these days to accomplish that.

I'd suggest to anyone reading "Bringing up bebe" to get a non-American perspective on raising kids. In fact, much of what's in that book is what happened in the US before the mid to late 90s when attachment parenting became all the rage. Now we have helicopter parents (and the next step is velcro parents, which some parents have achieved).

Yes, you need to be in the room your 1 year old, and spend time interacting with the child, reading and talking to the child are crucial, but you don't need to be constantly entertaining the child. Children also need to learn to be ok with entertaining themselves, babbling to themselves, etc. Play is very important for their development, and that includes some 'alone' play.

When my brothers were 14 months old, for Christmas they got some plastic stacking 'people' toys. They spent hours playing with the empty boxes from Christmas presents. Eventually they played with the toys, but the boxes were very enticing. Very simple things can provide hours of fun.

There is a play mat kids that changes from white to black when kids put water on it, then back to white when it dries out.

A fenced in back yard, and a lounge chair for you, is an amazing place for kids to explore - on their own at times, and with you at other times. (I realize not everyone has the luxury of a back yard).

The majority of parents these days in the US have a very difficult time letting their kids be independent - many parents seem very co-dependent on their children, and full of anxiety. So they tether the child to themselves, rather than teach the child to be independent. Cell phones only foster that anxiety in parents. Parents used to have to get gradually comfortable with their kids on their own going further and further afield (first a couple houses down, then across the street and down a block or 2), then further afield. Now, cell phones provide a tether between the parent and child (they're sometimes referred to as 'the world's longest umbilical cord'), and parents don't have to learn as much to deal with the anxiety that comes with letting a child become independent.

In the summers, from the time I was about 10-11, I would be gone for hours - sometimes all day, maybe popping back in to get something to eat. Quite frankly, they often didn't know where I was.I walked to school from age 6, 1 mile each way - somehow I never got lost or was late (in an area with a lot of snow and cold). By gradually allowing me to be more & more independent, my parents raised me to be responsible, to make good decisions, and they trusted me. I, and my siblings, became very responsible, self-sufficient kids. If we screwed up in any way, from very early on, our parents expected us to deal with the consequences - they didn't intervene or try to advocate for us . That experience taught us to make better decisions, because we learned there are consequences to bad decisions. As adults, none of us have ever gotten into trouble - not legally, not financially.

Because of the media, there's this perception that the world is a much more dangerous place than it used to be. In fact, crime has been reduced, and the person far most likely to sexually abuse a child (>90% of the time) is a person known & trusted by the family, not a stranger. The way people drive *has* gotten worse, but kids can learn to be careful, and parents can establish boundaries about where kids can go.

metrunt

Post by metrunt » Wed May 16, 2018 12:59 pm

From my experience, babies love to hang out at the bar with their daddies.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Wed May 16, 2018 1:39 pm

naturetech wrote:
Hi Bogleheads,

Thanks in advance.
A box big enough to crawl into, make noise with, and hide in.

amazonchic

Post by amazonchic » Thu May 17, 2018 2:14 pm

Wow, I wish I ever had even just 1 hour of time to kill with my kiddos! I feel like my hours are taken up with trying to stay on top of the basics (laundry, meals, dishes, simple straightening up).

We got ideas of books to read by finding a subject or author we loved and checking out everything in that series. A 1-year old could possibly listen to some of the Dr. Seuss books. We also like Richard Scarry books, Mercer Mayer, Beatrix Potter, etc.

We have read Sonlight books (homeschool curriculum) to even the very little ones. You can just check them out from the library. Even though the books are meant for older children to read aloud to parents and siblings, as parents you can read many of these books to even the littlest crowd. Obviously, some books you'd have to wait a few years to read aloud.

https://www.sonlight.com/homeschool/subjects/readers/

We listened to a lot of music together. (I'm a pianist and have lots of CD's, records, mp3's to play for my children.) My kids loved tinkering on my grand piano, so if you have a smaller keyboard toy that's a great age to start experimenting with sounds (if you can handle the unpretty noise of banging on keys.) We also found some very basic puzzles at The Dollar Tree that my 12-month old really enjoyed. We're talking 10-piece wooden puzzles of an ambulance, house, etc. The old wooden spoon with plastic cups or bowls is also a hit. My kids loved playing with safe kitchen utensils almost more than toys created for those ages. A silicone wisk, wooden spoon, plastic ladle, etc. were the best toys.

Good luck, and have fun!