Moving Books

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
LuigiLikesPizza

Moving Books

Post by LuigiLikesPizza » Tue May 15, 2018 5:29 am

Any suggestions for moving and storing books for an extended period? (couple of years).

I was thinking cardboard banker boxes? Anyone try this? better suggestions? I was wondering if plastic boxes might invite moisture, not sure. They will be stored in a climate controlled unit.

I recognize many will suggest tossing them and going digital, but that's already happened. These remaining are out of print and are classics we want to keep. A relatively small remaining collection.

Thanks.

JoeRetire

Re: Moving Books

Post by JoeRetire » Tue May 15, 2018 5:55 am

LuigiLikesPizza wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 5:29 am
Any suggestions for moving and storing books for an extended period? (couple of years).

I was thinking cardboard banker boxes? Anyone try this? better suggestions? I was wondering if plastic boxes might invite moisture, not sure. They will be stored in a climate controlled unit.
Ask the managers of the climate controlled unit. They can suggest the appropriate container.
Depending on the nature of the climate control, it may not matter.

GCD

Post by GCD » Tue May 15, 2018 6:04 am

Unfortunately I am a bibliophile in a digital age. I have books on my shelf I have toted around for 40+ years. What a God awful affliction. It should be in the DSM-5.

From time to time I have stored them in the small U-Haul boxes. Not the "book" boxes, but the actual size labeled small. They are a bit heavy, but it's easier than multiple trips of the book size box. Cardboard boxes in climate control storage has worked fine. I don't recall ever using anything else.

I think climate controlled is the way to go. If you use one of those outside garage type storage lockers you can get silverfish. I've never had a problem with silverfish in anything indoors or climate controlled. Not to say they don't show up there. If you were super concerned and had really valuable books worth substantial money I would take additional steps to prevent insect damage regardless of where I had them stored.
Last edited by GCD on Tue May 15, 2018 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Tue May 15, 2018 6:12 am

When I moved, my books were packed in cardboard "book boxes." These were no different from other cardboard moving boxes other than being a convenient size. The boxes were carefully sealed with clear packing tape. The move took almost a year while the house was being built. During this time the boxes were inside a shipping container in the shipper's climate controlled (so they claimed!) storage facility. After the move about half a dozen of those boxes did not get unpacked for another five years. In the end, all books were in perfect condition.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker, the Cowboy Poet

Halicar

Post by Halicar » Tue May 15, 2018 9:11 am

I think banker's boxes would be too big--depending on how many books you have and how far you'd have to carry them. The last time I packed up and moved my books I used the Home Depot small (12x12x18) moving boxes and I'd say they're the perfect size.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Tue May 15, 2018 9:19 am

I too have stored books many years in small cardboard boxes. Like the person above, I suggest getting a smaller size than the U-Haul ones labeled "book" boxes. They were way too big and couldn't support stacking without destroying the box. Store the books so they are flat rather than with the spine up/down, especially with paperbacks in the mix. It takes more work backing the boxes this way to get them all to fit snugly (I used a lot of wadded up packing paper as filler) but I've found over time, storing them with the spines pointed up can be hard on the hardback books and even worse on paperbacks.

obgraham

Post by obgraham » Tue May 15, 2018 12:39 pm

It's not so much the size of the box, but the number that makes the problem. We too were bookaholics. When we moved to our current home we had over 100 banker boxes of books, and the new shelves were in the basement. The two young bucks who were doing the lifting thought it was a piece of cake -- when they started. At the end they had a different view!

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Tue May 15, 2018 4:45 pm

LuigiLikesPizza wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 5:29 am
I recognize many will suggest tossing them and going digital, but that's already happened. These remaining are out of print and are classics we want to keep. A relatively small remaining collection.
Ignore detractors. Books provide the ultimate value, and printed books share their value with you much more effectively than any other media.

I have never put books in storage. But when I was moving four years ago, I purchased at Target transparent plastic boxes and used them to shuttle my books from the old apartment to the new one. It worked because I have purchased several tall bookcases for the new apartment, and I was putting the books on shelves as I was delivering them. I have planned to bookshelf space beforehand and knew the exact shelves to put the books on. Later I slightly rearranged books within their respective shelves.

The advantages of plastic boxes were that they were easy to carry by their handles, and after the move was complete I could stack them one inside the other to minimize the footprint. If the boxes still contained books, they could be stacked one on top of the other.

I did not need to label the containers because I was emptying them right away. But for a long storage, make sure that each container contains books on a specific subject, and put a corresponding label on it. Don't mix books on different general subjects in the same box. And if you think you will need access to some books, store them in an easily reachable place.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)