Cape Cod Vacation

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
partner

Cape Cod Vacation

Post by partner » Mon May 14, 2018 9:03 pm

We are vacationing a week in Cape Cod - Mashpee area. We are thinking of doing a day trip to Martha's Vineyard but uncertain about some concerns. I know we can take a ferry from Woods Hole but that's about it. I'm hoping that someone thats done it will help out here. Is there a parking lot for ferry customers or is it easy to find street parking? Where do you go once on the island. Any place thats a don't miss. Since we will not be taking a car, will there be public transportation over there to get to wherever?
Any ideas on other things to do on Cape Cod in May. We will not be swimming since I'm from the south and my toes turn blue there even in August.
thanks

boffalora

Re: Cape Cod Vacation

Post by boffalora » Mon May 14, 2018 10:56 pm

You raised a very good question about Martha's Vineyard. A companion and I tried a spur-of-the-moment visit there nearly 40 years ago and quickly realized that getting around the island without a car would be a problem. Making matters worse, reservations for car ferry service had to be made well in advance. (Pedestrians can take the ferry at any time.) We wound up restricting our day visit to Edgartown, where the ferry docks.

Fortunately, much has changed on "the Vineyard" since then, and the internet has helped disseminate information about it. There is a well-established public bus system as well as private coach tours.

Here's a good place to begin your search for information as to what to do and how to reach those places. http://www.mvy.com/

I hope to go back to Martha's Vineyard someday soon.

TRC

Post by TRC » Tue May 15, 2018 6:05 am

Mass resident. I've been to the vineyard a couple of times. It's fun, but it's a hassle getting to & from. That being said, if it were me and I didn't have any young kids, I'd rent a couple of scooters once there and zip around the island.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Tue May 15, 2018 6:26 am

duplicate
Last edited by Jack FFR1846 on Tue May 15, 2018 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Tue May 15, 2018 6:27 am

You don't say if it's all adults or if kids are involved. If it's just adults, rent a bicycle (or bring them over) or moped/scooter. We've done that and it makes exploring the entire island pretty easy. Figure out ahead of time what you want to see. That'll give you some direction once you get there.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

campy2010

Post by campy2010 » Tue May 15, 2018 6:43 am

Parking is relatively far away from Woods Hole with shuttle buses that drop you off in town. I have only ever been in the off peak season and it took about an hour to pay, park, shuttle bus, walk to the ferry.

Once you arrive, the bus system around the island is very good. Bring bikes if you can.

https://www.steamshipauthority.com/visitors/parking

billfromct

Post by billfromct » Tue May 15, 2018 8:07 am

You'll want to park at the Palmer Ave parking lot. The cost is $15/day. Palmer Ave is the main road heading down to Woods Hole. There is no ferry parking in Woods Hole. There is some on street parking (meter parking) near the Orceanagraphic Institute in Woods Hole, but I think there is a 4 hour max (?). Best bet is to park at Palmer Ave. It's 4 or 5 miles to the ferry with shuttles every 10 or 15 minutes, at most.

The best thing to do on the Island is to get an all day bus pass. I think it's $8. There is a senior all day pass for $5.

There is a bus loading area in each town & I believe the bus system goes all over the Island. I think you can make all the connections in Edgartown, but don't quote me.

bill

fishmonger

Post by fishmonger » Tue May 15, 2018 8:27 am

Depending on when you're going in May, some restaurants/businesses may not be open yet. This has changed in recent years to some extent, but the "season" on the Cape is generally Memorial Day to Labor Day

partner

Post by partner » Wed May 16, 2018 12:55 pm

Thanks to all that responded. The links were very helpful.
Have a better understanding now of how to get around.

irish17

Post by irish17 » Wed May 16, 2018 1:44 pm

I would consider going to Nantucket over Martha's vineyard. Just a bit more natural and less commercialized imho.
I'd suggest seeking out tour at Woodshole Oceanography institute.

Check out Peach Tree Circle Farm in Falmout on Palmer rd.
Also Old Silver Beach in Falmouth.
Love the Cape..
if you can make it to National Seashore Beach and/or Provincetown worth seeing. Take rte 6 east from Mashpee. I'd also venture up to rte 6A for a more scenic view of the area. Chatam is a lovely town to visit.
The NSB has guest area with walking tours and videoes of history of the area.
As another posted some shops and restaraunts won't be open till memorial day.
Depending on the weather you could go kite flying, bird watching, whale watching or deep sea fishing, miniature golf.
There is an indian museum in Mashpee. A few local bars with art projects.
I'd recommend Fishmonger, Captain Kidd, Pie in the Sky in Woods hole.
If your able to bike I would plan to rent bikes on island. If you are into biking there is a wonderful bike path @ 30 miles from Dennis which you can connect on rte 134 and path goes all the way to National Seashore beach and beyond to Wellfleet area.

rocdoc1

Post by rocdoc1 » Wed May 16, 2018 7:21 pm

I summer in Mashpee and go to MV frequently. Would not go to Wood's Hole unless you are taking a car. Take the Island Queen from Falmouth to Oaks Bluff. Takes 45 minutes and costs $22 round trip. It's closer to Mashpee then Wood's Hole. Parking for $10-15- nearby. Only issue is, It doesn't start running until late May. Not sure when you are going. When there the "school Buses" travel between each town for a reasonable fare.

forgeblast

Post by forgeblast » Thu May 17, 2018 8:07 am

We go to Brewster and just love the cape.