Inexpensive and comfortable outdoor patio furniture

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
dh

Inexpensive and comfortable outdoor patio furniture

Post by dh » Sun May 13, 2018 9:25 pm

Hello my friends!
I would like to buy just two chairs and a table for outdoors. I am open to any and all suggestions. My primary criteria is comfort. I truly do not care if they are wicker, metal, wood or if they are tall or short. It has been a crazy search at Lowes, Home Depot, Target, etc. I don't need anything stylish or expensive. I am just looking for something comfortable to enjoy the long awaited summer time.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

unclescrooge

Re: Inexpensive and comfortable outdoor patio furniture

Post by unclescrooge » Sun May 13, 2018 10:01 pm

Don't buy wicker. If one strand breaks, the whole thing unravels!

I suggest teak if it's going to be exposed to the elements. Not cheap, but will last a long time. Get thick cushions with sunbrella fabric, and they will be comfortable.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Sun May 13, 2018 10:15 pm

Buy the cheapest, most stable set you can find. Then, buy some cushions - you will be set.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sun May 13, 2018 10:19 pm

Comfort is so subjective that I don't see how anyone can advise you. In our area "Chair King" is the store for outdoor furniture. Do you have one in your area that you can go try out comfort?

Our patio furniture is almost 25 years old. The sling chair material has been replaced twice and the aluminum frames sandblasted and repainted once.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HAUe6E6FP8
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Limoncello402

Post by Limoncello402 » Mon May 14, 2018 6:21 am

The mix and match pieces at Home Depot suit me just fine. I recently bought 4 all weather wicker chairs and coffee table, and I'm going to get a few more chairs. Look for a Memorial Day sale.

Ninnie

Post by Ninnie » Mon May 14, 2018 6:29 am

We had good luck at Ace Hardware. The store gave us a great discount over the listed price. Basic black grated metal table and chairs. Light enough to move around and still comfortable. Six years old and still in good condition. If you spend on high end outdoor furniture the elements still take a toll, so this is one of those items that is best to look for decent quality but not at high-end stores. Yes teak is great but heavy and crazy expensive.

dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron » Mon May 14, 2018 6:54 am

Ikea outdoor furniture is attractive and very inexpensive.

For $49.95, my family and guests have found this model incredibly comfortable. No assembly. Just take it out of the box and unfold and sit! (Also easy to fold and store offseason.)

If you are willing to do some assembly (and I am), Ikea's entire Applaro outdoor line of tables, chairs, lounges, benches, etc. is currently 20% off.

The wood is eucalyptus, which apparently has many of the same desirable properties as teak but less expensive. It is also said to be environmentally sustainable. Lighter weight and easier to move than teak. I like the color better too.

I was initially inexperienced in furniture building and quite daunted last fall, so I ordered a test-piece of models of gradually increasing complexity to build up experience and confidence. Achievement unlocked! Feeling proud of myself! The Ikea effect is a reality for me, though my favorite product is the first one that required no assembly at all, so maybe it is not entirely cognitive bias.

I just ordered a bunch more outdoor furniture this weekend. Shipping costs have been nicely streamlined. I just paid a flat $9 for my entire large order (even though the nearest Ikea store is three hours away.) This is for "parcel delivery". In some places and/or for some bulky items that don't ship in flat packs, "truck delivery" would be required (starting at $29.) Of course, if you live near an Ikea you can just go pick it up.

Their return policies are legendary--you have up to 365 days to return unused furniture and you can even return an unsuccessfully half-built model without disassembling it (probably easier to do this if you live near a store.) Fortunately I have not needed to avail myself.
Last edited by dodecahedron on Mon May 14, 2018 7:09 am, edited 3 times in total.

renue74

Post by renue74 » Mon May 14, 2018 7:00 am

We purchased our outdoor furniture from craigslist a few years ago. When folks "upgrade" their outdoor stuff or have too much money to burn, you can find really nice furniture at a fraction of the price of new.

We also bought cushions from Garden Ridge. They only last about 4 seasons and that's with us taking them in during the winter months.

outdoormlane9

Post by outdoormlane9 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:21 am

Check out: Webcoat.

Some of my favorite outdoor furniture pieces are by manufacturers like Fermob and Knoll

I think the key is to find good value from a quality manufacturer not just a cheap product from anyone.

tev9876

Post by tev9876 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:10 am

I just had a new patio put in and have been searching for furniture, but don't like anything - at least not that isn't stupid expensive. I'm actually considering building my own. As a big/tall guy much of the mass market stuff is not comfortable for me - too low to the ground, too narrow, shaky, etc. I like Adirondack chairs and chaise lounges, but those are all too low for my knees to like when getting up.

There is a Live Edge wood place nearby that recycles local trees into slabs for tables, chairs and anything else. I think I could put together a really cool bar like this for around $400 instead of the $2000+ they go for premade.

I have decent woodworking skills and equipment. Could be a good winter hobby.