Need some help understanding Roboform pricing

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
knightrider

Need some help understanding Roboform pricing

Post by knightrider » Sun May 13, 2018 4:55 pm

I have been using roboform for 10+ years. But I've been limping along with an old version on my desktop for the past four years. I am ready to upgrade, but seems the new pricing model has changed. Is this roboform everywhere a yearly subscription model that works on all your desktops? If so, how is that difference from the web based roboform that works on any browser? One complaint I had with the web-based version is you can't create new logins. It only lets you view your logins/passcodes.

One complaint with the old licensing model was the program would become incompatible with newer browsers. So it would only last a year or two until you upgraded your browser. Then it would force you to buy a new license.

I find this new pricing infuriatingly complex for something that should be simple... I am open to switching companies, but I have hundreds of logins/passcodes saved.. I can't imagine manually inputting them into a new software.

Pajamas

Re: Need some help understanding Roboform pricing

Post by Pajamas » Sun May 13, 2018 7:16 pm

knightrider wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 4:55 pm
I am open to switching companies, but I have hundreds of logins/passcodes saved.. I can't imagine manually inputting them into a new software.
It is usually possible to import data when switching password managers. For instance:

https://lastpass.com/support.php?cmd=showfaq&id=806

Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to eliminate some of the hundreds of logins and passcodes you have saved and simply your digital life, regardless.

gtd98765

Post by gtd98765 » Mon May 14, 2018 1:07 am

I believe Roboform Everywhere costs $20 per year. This allows you to synch your passwords among computers, cell phones, etc. There is a free version that does not synch, but is okay if you only want it on one computer.

edit: removed incorrect info.

knightrider

Post by knightrider » Fri May 18, 2018 9:32 am

Thanks. I ended up emailing their support folks and they replied:

"RoboForm Everywhere license allows to use RoboForm on up to 9 devices. You can install RoboForm 8 on up to 9 computers and sync data via online account."

I am glad they answered my question instead of some copy/pasted reply to look at the website..

jharkin

Post by jharkin » Fri May 18, 2018 10:07 am

I dont use Roboform, but I wanted to add a general comment.

SaaS delivery and subscription based licensing is the direction the entire software industry is moving to. Other big examples: No more "versions" of windows, Office 365, Adobe Creative Cloud, and so on..

So you are going to face the same licensing frustrations even if you move to another product.