Cars similar to Toyota Corolla LE that I should consider for purchase?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Post Reply
Muri
Posts: 79
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:00 am

Cars similar to Toyota Corolla LE that I should consider for purchase?

Post by Muri » Sat May 12, 2018 5:43 am

My aging Prius now needs replacing. I commute 6500 miles each year for work, total driving 9000 miles a year. I am looking for a safe, reliable, reasonably priced car. Other than Corolla LE, what else should i look at?

student
Posts: 2673
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:58 am

Re: Cars similar to Toyota Corolla LE that I should consider for purchase?

Post by student » Sat May 12, 2018 5:56 am

The main competitors of Corolla are Civic, Elantra and Focus. But I think they have less space than a Prius. Have you considered buying another Prius?

Tdubs
Posts: 212
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:50 pm

Re: Cars similar to Toyota Corolla LE that I should consider for purchase?

Post by Tdubs » Sat May 12, 2018 6:09 am

Kia and Hyundai have much better warranties than the Japanese cars.

Muri
Posts: 79
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:00 am

Re: Cars similar to Toyota Corolla LE that I should consider for purchase?

Post by Muri » Sat May 12, 2018 6:15 am

Student, I was looking for something lower price than a Prius. I would be able to carpool with another worker if gas prices got high again, so I am not as concerned about gas mileage as I was when I was driving more and bought the Prius.

User avatar
bottlecap
Posts: 5897
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:21 pm
Location: Tennessee

Re: Cars similar to Toyota Corolla LE that I should consider for purchase?

Post by bottlecap » Sat May 12, 2018 6:53 am

Tdubs wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 6:09 am
Kia and Hyundai have much better warranties than the Japanese cars.
You’re probably best sticking with a Corolla, but do look at Kia and Hyundai.

JT

student
Posts: 2673
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:58 am

Re: Cars similar to Toyota Corolla LE that I should consider for purchase?

Post by student » Sat May 12, 2018 6:56 am

Muri wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 6:15 am
Student, I was looking for something lower price than a Prius. I would be able to carpool with another worker if gas prices got high again, so I am not as concerned about gas mileage as I was when I was driving more and bought the Prius.
I see. Have you considered Prius C? It is smaller than the Prius but cheaper. I think it is about $2,000 more than a Corolla.

david99
Posts: 633
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:56 am

Re: Cars similar to Toyota Corolla LE that I should consider for purchase?

Post by david99 » Sat May 12, 2018 7:44 am

Look at the Prius Prime. Because it is part electric, it qualifies for a $4500 Federal tax credit and in my state it is eligible for a $1500 rebate. In addition, Toyota was offering an incentive. I bought one a few months ago and it came out to less than $18,000 with the tax incentives---- that's the out the door price. Of course you have to wait to claim the tax credit when you file next year but I don't care.
Last edited by david99 on Sat May 12, 2018 7:51 am, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
F150HD
Posts: 1708
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:49 pm

Re: Cars similar to Toyota Corolla LE that I should consider for purchase?

Post by F150HD » Sat May 12, 2018 7:45 am

Yaris

student
Posts: 2673
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:58 am

Re: Cars similar to Toyota Corolla LE that I should consider for purchase?

Post by student » Sat May 12, 2018 7:48 am

david99 wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 7:44 am
Look at the Prius Prime. Because it is part electric, it qualifies for a $4500 Federal tax credit and in my state it is eligible for a $1500 rebate. In addition, Toyota was offering an incentive. I bought one a few months ago and it came out to less than $18,000 with the tax incentives---- that's the out the door price.
Are you in the west coast? If I can get a Prius Prime for $18,000, I will do it right away. I am in the midwest. Not only do we have no discount, we have no stock.

bob60014
Posts: 733
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:59 pm
Location: The Land Beyond ORD

Re: Cars similar to Toyota Corolla LE that I should consider for purchase?

Post by bob60014 » Sat May 12, 2018 8:03 am

Just stick with the tried and true Corolla. Trouble free, will last forever (almost), good mileage, better interior ( doesn't fell cheap) and drives well. Plus, with the low miles you put on, when you go to sell it will still be worth something.

User avatar
Watty
Posts: 14609
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:55 pm

Re: Cars similar to Toyota Corolla LE that I should consider for purchase?

Post by Watty » Sat May 12, 2018 8:27 am

I bought a new Corolla LE in January and did a post about my car buying experience that might be of interest.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=239526&p=3746230&h ... e#p3746230

My final cost was a bit over $15,000 plus about two thousand dollars in local taxes and car registration.

A big factor in my deciding to buy the Corolla was that it has a lot of advanced safety features like automatic braking as standard equipment that either were not available on comparable models or were only available as expensive options. If it was not for being able to get the advanced safety features at a reasonable price I would have likely waited a few more years to buy my next car.

https://www.toyota.com/safety-sense/animation/drcc

I find that I REALLY like the dynamic cruise control where it will adjust the cruise control speed to match the car in front of you. One safety feature it does not have is a blind spot warning so you should be aware of that when comparing it to other cars.

Toyota made a lot of the safety features standard on all their cars, but the Yaris has a few less so be sure to look at the details if you look at other models.

The 2018 Corolla it is almost as large as an early 2000's Camry I had so it doesn't feel like a real small car like the Honda Fit I had.

Everyone tends to be biased about the car they bought but so far I am very happy with the Corolla.

orangeandwhite
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:15 pm

Re: Cars similar to Toyota Corolla LE that I should consider for purchase?

Post by orangeandwhite » Sat May 12, 2018 3:16 pm

david99 wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 7:44 am
Look at the Prius Prime. Because it is part electric, it qualifies for a $4500 Federal tax credit and in my state it is eligible for a $1500 rebate. In addition, Toyota was offering an incentive. I bought one a few months ago and it came out to less than $18,000 with the tax incentives---- that's the out the door price. Of course you have to wait to claim the tax credit when you file next year but I don't care.
+1. We just bought one exactly as discussed. Does not make sense to buy any other small car with the pricing like this. The used prices for the Prius are strong as well so the total cost of ownership is likely to be crazy low. Very high quality, made in Japan.

You don’t need to plug in if you don’t want to, but if you do it can further save money. One downside is that the car only seats 4 - there is no center rear position.

Not sure about the Midwest - you could always make a road trip out of it.

User avatar
monkey_business
Posts: 707
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: Cars similar to Toyota Corolla LE that I should consider for purchase?

Post by monkey_business » Sat May 12, 2018 4:15 pm

Mazda 3 might be another option.

inbox788
Posts: 5693
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:24 pm

Re: Cars similar to Toyota Corolla LE that I should consider for purchase?

Post by inbox788 » Sat May 12, 2018 7:01 pm

Muri wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 5:43 am
My aging Prius now needs replacing. I commute 6500 miles each year for work, total driving 9000 miles a year. I am looking for a safe, reliable, reasonably priced car. Other than Corolla LE, what else should i look at?
Why? What year is your Prius? How many miles on it? What's wrong with it?

Five Best Used Green Cars To Buy: 2004-2009 Toyota Prius
https://www.greencarreports.com/news/10 ... yota-prius

10 Most-Reliable Used Cars
https://www.forbes.com/pictures/emeh45jjff/toyota-prius

Unless it's a gen 1 and it's giving you a lot of trouble, keeping it a few more years is probably the most economical choice.

User avatar
snodog
Posts: 267
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:33 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: Cars similar to Toyota Corolla LE that I should consider for purchase?

Post by snodog » Sat May 12, 2018 7:57 pm

monkey_business wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 4:15 pm
Mazda 3 might be another option.
Yes. We just bought a 2018 Mazda 3 Touring for my wife. Paid $20,250 "out the door" and it's being delivered to our doorstep on Monday for no extra cost. It's a top safety pick and according to Consumer Reports very reliable.

stuyguy
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:27 pm

Re: Cars similar to Toyota Corolla LE that I should consider for purchase?

Post by stuyguy » Sat May 12, 2018 8:24 pm

Go to NY or NJ for a 2017 Prius Prime by 6/4/18. In addition to $4502 from the feds, Toyota's incentive is $5000 there and dealers are offering several thousands as well. See the Prime pricing thread on PriusChat.com. Great car. I bought one in NY and drove it back to CO, whose resident buyers qualify for a $5000 tax credit!

ETadvisor
Posts: 237
Joined: Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:37 pm

Re: Cars similar to Toyota Corolla LE that I should consider for purchase?

Post by ETadvisor » Sat May 12, 2018 9:01 pm

monkey_business wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 4:15 pm
Mazda 3 might be another option.
+1 Driving one now

Anyone recommend the Kia Forte?

SimonJester
Posts: 1682
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:39 pm

Re: Cars similar to Toyota Corolla LE that I should consider for purchase?

Post by SimonJester » Sat May 12, 2018 10:38 pm

There are two other choices, a Corolla XLE or the Corolla CE (now the corolla L) . You could of course splurge on a Camry as well and that would be acceptable.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

testing321
Posts: 165
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:46 pm
Location: kansas city

Re: Cars similar to Toyota Corolla LE that I should consider for purchase?

Post by testing321 » Sun May 13, 2018 2:22 pm

snodog wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 7:57 pm
monkey_business wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 4:15 pm
Mazda 3 might be another option.
Yes. We just bought a 2018 Mazda 3 Touring for my wife. Paid $20,250 "out the door" and it's being delivered to our doorstep on Monday for no extra cost. It's a top safety pick and according to Consumer Reports very reliable.
I think the Corolla now comes with a CVT whereas the Mazda 3 has a conventional transmission. When CVTs are first introduced to a model, they tend not to be reliable. Nissan had many problems with CVTs when they first introduced them.

Leesbro63
Posts: 5533
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:36 pm

Re: Cars similar to Toyota Corolla LE that I should consider for purchase?

Post by Leesbro63 » Sun May 13, 2018 2:24 pm

testing321 wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 2:22 pm
snodog wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 7:57 pm
monkey_business wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 4:15 pm
Mazda 3 might be another option.
Yes. We just bought a 2018 Mazda 3 Touring for my wife. Paid $20,250 "out the door" and it's being delivered to our doorstep on Monday for no extra cost. It's a top safety pick and according to Consumer Reports very reliable.
I think the Corolla now comes with a CVT whereas the Mazda 3 has a conventional transmission. When CVTs are first introduced to a model, they tend not to be reliable. Nissan had many problems with CVTs when they first introduced them.
We have a 2014 Corolla "S" with the first year CVT transmission and, at nearly 50,000 miles, it's been fine.

Leesbro63
Posts: 5533
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:36 pm

Re: Cars similar to Toyota Corolla LE that I should consider for purchase?

Post by Leesbro63 » Sun May 13, 2018 2:24 pm

SimonJester wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 10:38 pm
There are two other choices, a Corolla XLE or the Corolla CE (now the corolla L) . You could of course splurge on a Camry as well and that would be acceptable.
I think the 2018 choices are Corolla L, LE and SE

startwithtruth
Posts: 50
Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:35 pm

Re: Cars similar to Toyota Corolla LE that I should consider for purchase?

Post by startwithtruth » Sun May 13, 2018 3:49 pm

testing321 wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 2:22 pm
snodog wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 7:57 pm
monkey_business wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 4:15 pm
Mazda 3 might be another option.
Yes. We just bought a 2018 Mazda 3 Touring for my wife. Paid $20,250 "out the door" and it's being delivered to our doorstep on Monday for no extra cost. It's a top safety pick and according to Consumer Reports very reliable.
I think the Corolla now comes with a CVT whereas the Mazda 3 has a conventional transmission. When CVTs are first introduced to a model, they tend not to be reliable. Nissan had many problems with CVTs when they first introduced them.
My husband and I both drive Mazda 3's now, the most recent of which replaced a 2009 Toyota Corolla last year. Our Corolla lasted a long time (225K miles), but we had more trouble with it than with previous similar cars (Prisms, which were a kind of Corolla cousins) and I didn't feel the dealer or Toyota stood behind the Corolla. We love our Mazda 3's
Last edited by startwithtruth on Sun May 13, 2018 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dyloot
Posts: 126
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:04 am

Re: Cars similar to Toyota Corolla LE that I should consider for purchase?

Post by Dyloot » Sun May 13, 2018 4:00 pm

Another +1 for the Mazda 3. I’ve owned 3 Corollas and test drove what would have been my fourth last October. I was disappointed.

Fell in love with the Touring Mazda 3 on the test drive and have loved driving it every day since. Highly recommend trying it out.

User avatar
snodog
Posts: 267
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:33 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: Cars similar to Toyota Corolla LE that I should consider for purchase?

Post by snodog » Mon May 14, 2018 6:18 am

testing321 wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 2:22 pm
snodog wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 7:57 pm
monkey_business wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 4:15 pm
Mazda 3 might be another option.
Yes. We just bought a 2018 Mazda 3 Touring for my wife. Paid $20,250 "out the door" and it's being delivered to our doorstep on Monday for no extra cost. It's a top safety pick and according to Consumer Reports very reliable.
I think the Corolla now comes with a CVT whereas the Mazda 3 has a conventional transmission. When CVTs are first introduced to a model, they tend not to be reliable. Nissan had many problems with CVTs when they first introduced them.
This is one of the reasons we didn't choose a Corolla. My wife wanted heated seats a moonroof and a manual transmission and with the Corolla you had to have a CVT with those options. They have been putting CVT's in Corolla's since 2014 and according to Consumer Reports they are reliable.

My wife is selling her old 2007 Yaris with 228,000 miles to our niece. It's been a very good car for us and I'm curious to see how it does for her.

Turbo29
Posts: 217
Joined: Tue May 01, 2018 7:12 am

Re: Cars similar to Toyota Corolla LE that I should consider for purchase?

Post by Turbo29 » Mon May 14, 2018 7:37 am

Mazda 3, got a new 2016 one at the beginning of the 2017 model year. Love it!

Herbert
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:37 am
Location: Richmond, VA

Re: Cars similar to Toyota Corolla LE that I should consider for purchase?

Post by Herbert » Mon May 14, 2018 7:56 am

I have driven a Corolla since 2011 and have no complaints. My wife has had a Mazda 3 since 2013, and she has had no issues with it. Overall, the Mazda is more comfortable to drive and handles a bit better than my Corolla. Another vote for the Mazda 3! :beer

cjcerny
Posts: 212
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:47 pm

Re: Cars similar to Toyota Corolla LE that I should consider for purchase?

Post by cjcerny » Mon May 14, 2018 8:30 am

Why not just another Prius? Maybe too expensive? Go used. New hybrid Camry is also a great car. Corolla and Camry would be the only non-hybrid cars I would consider for replacing a Prius.

User avatar
snackdog
Posts: 364
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:57 am

Re: Cars similar to Toyota Corolla LE that I should consider for purchase?

Post by snackdog » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:47 pm

I recently purchased a nine year old Lexus GS350 with about 100,000 miles. It is superb in every way from RWD power to comfort to features. I had it in for service Friday and they gave me a 2018 Corolla loaner. Appalling. Minimal power from a reedy 4 cylinder, plastic everywhere, ghastly audio, rotten seats, etc. They retail for twice what I paid. I don't get see the allure of the Corolla.

02nz
Posts: 580
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:17 pm

Re: Cars similar to Toyota Corolla LE that I should consider for purchase?

Post by 02nz » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:12 pm

Since you reference the LE trim I'm assuming you're looking at the sedan. There's a much better car at the same dealer - the Corolla Hatchback.

The hatchback (previously the Scion and then Toyota iM) is all-new for model year 2019. It's based on Toyota's new global platform, which also underpins the current Camry, Prius, and CH-R. In terms of ride and handling it's light years ahead of the Corolla Sedan, which is based on a very old architecture and will move to the same global architecture in the next year. At around the same price, this is a no-brainer.

User avatar
Watty
Posts: 14609
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:55 pm

Re: Cars similar to Toyota Corolla LE that I should consider for purchase?

Post by Watty » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:12 pm

snackdog wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:47 pm
I recently purchased a nine year old Lexus GS350 with about 100,000 miles. It is superb in every way from RWD power to comfort to features. I had it in for service Friday and they gave me a 2018 Corolla loaner. Appalling. Minimal power from a reedy 4 cylinder, plastic everywhere, ghastly audio, rotten seats, etc. They retail for twice what I paid. I don't get see the allure of the Corolla.
Of course a car that cost $50,000+ when it was new that is still in good condition is more enjoyable to drive than a car that you can buy for less than $16,000 (I bought one on January). While the Corolla is of course not fancy I would guess that you have not driver other cars in that price category.

The big question is what the tradeoffs are. If you drive the typical 12,000 miles a year then in five years your car will have 160,000 miles on it and it could very well still be going strong then but that is at least somewhat optimistic. In five years my Corolla will be hitting 60,000 miles and the powertrain warranty will just be ending. When you need replacements cars if you buy another car with 100k miles then you could go through several cars by the time my car bites the dust.

There have also been a lot of advanced safety features that have been added to the Corolla that didn't exist nine years ago.

motorcyclesarecool
Posts: 571
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:39 am

Re: Cars similar to Toyota Corolla LE that I should consider for purchase?

Post by motorcyclesarecool » Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:27 am

Before you go Hyundai, consider a Nissan Altima in the SV trim level.
Understand that choosing an HDHP is very much a "red pill" approach. Most would rather pay higher premiums for a $20 copay per visit. They will think you weird for choosing an HSA.

User avatar
snackdog
Posts: 364
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:57 am

Re: Cars similar to Toyota Corolla LE that I should consider for purchase?

Post by snackdog » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:39 am

Watty wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:12 pm
If you drive the typical 12,000 miles a year then in five years your car will have 160,000 miles on it and it could very well still be going strong then but that is at least somewhat optimistic. In five years my Corolla will be hitting 60,000 miles and the powertrain warranty will just be ending. When you need replacements cars if you buy another car with 100k miles then you could go through several cars by the time my car bites the dust.

There have also been a lot of advanced safety features that have been added to the Corolla that didn't exist nine years ago.
I drive about 6,000 miles per year, so in ten years if the GS350 is used up I will buy another one and will then have paid what a Corolla owner paid. But I will have had a far better built and more delightful car to drive for 20 years.

The only safety feature the new Corolla adds is a lane departure warning.

2pedals
Posts: 647
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:31 pm

Re: Cars similar to Toyota Corolla LE that I should consider for purchase?

Post by 2pedals » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:00 am

snackdog wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:39 am
Watty wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:12 pm
If you drive the typical 12,000 miles a year then in five years your car will have 160,000 miles on it and it could very well still be going strong then but that is at least somewhat optimistic. In five years my Corolla will be hitting 60,000 miles and the powertrain warranty will just be ending. When you need replacements cars if you buy another car with 100k miles then you could go through several cars by the time my car bites the dust.

There have also been a lot of advanced safety features that have been added to the Corolla that didn't exist nine years ago.
I drive about 6,000 miles per year, so in ten years if the GS350 is used up I will buy another one and will then have paid what a Corolla owner paid. But I will have had a far better built and more delightful car to drive for 20 years.

The only safety feature the new Corolla adds is a lane departure warning.
The current Toyota Safety Sense system is a lot more than a lane departure warning system.
https://www.toyota.com/safety-sense/animation/pcspd

PaleoWorx
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:48 pm

Re: Cars similar to Toyota Corolla LE that I should consider for purchase?

Post by PaleoWorx » Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:12 pm

you may look want to at corolla hatchback 2019

MathIsMyWayr
Posts: 217
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:47 pm
Location: CA

Re: Cars similar to Toyota Corolla LE that I should consider for purchase?

Post by MathIsMyWayr » Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:20 pm

PaleoWorx wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:12 pm
you may look want to at corolla hatchback 2019
+1. There is not much difference between a sedan and a hatchback. However, you may be able to carry a large object in a hatchback, but not in a sedan. I bought a 2017 Toyota Corolla iM and can carry a large chair or a small furniture in the trunk if I fold the rear seat backs.

wootwoot
Posts: 196
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:37 pm

Re: Cars similar to Toyota Corolla LE that I should consider for purchase?

Post by wootwoot » Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:37 pm

2pedals wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:00 am
snackdog wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:39 am
Watty wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:12 pm
If you drive the typical 12,000 miles a year then in five years your car will have 160,000 miles on it and it could very well still be going strong then but that is at least somewhat optimistic. In five years my Corolla will be hitting 60,000 miles and the powertrain warranty will just be ending. When you need replacements cars if you buy another car with 100k miles then you could go through several cars by the time my car bites the dust.

There have also been a lot of advanced safety features that have been added to the Corolla that didn't exist nine years ago.
I drive about 6,000 miles per year, so in ten years if the GS350 is used up I will buy another one and will then have paid what a Corolla owner paid. But I will have had a far better built and more delightful car to drive for 20 years.

The only safety feature the new Corolla adds is a lane departure warning.
The current Toyota Safety Sense system is a lot more than a lane departure warning system.
https://www.toyota.com/safety-sense/animation/pcspd
You convinced me. Buying the older GS350 is the better choice and just great advice overall. Most of these new safety features are a gimmick at best.

azanon
Posts: 1992
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:34 am
Location: Little Rock, AR

Re: Cars similar to Toyota Corolla LE that I should consider for purchase?

Post by azanon » Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:48 pm

wootwoot wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:37 pm
2pedals wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:00 am
snackdog wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:39 am
Watty wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:12 pm
If you drive the typical 12,000 miles a year then in five years your car will have 160,000 miles on it and it could very well still be going strong then but that is at least somewhat optimistic. In five years my Corolla will be hitting 60,000 miles and the powertrain warranty will just be ending. When you need replacements cars if you buy another car with 100k miles then you could go through several cars by the time my car bites the dust.

There have also been a lot of advanced safety features that have been added to the Corolla that didn't exist nine years ago.
I drive about 6,000 miles per year, so in ten years if the GS350 is used up I will buy another one and will then have paid what a Corolla owner paid. But I will have had a far better built and more delightful car to drive for 20 years.

The only safety feature the new Corolla adds is a lane departure warning.
The current Toyota Safety Sense system is a lot more than a lane departure warning system.
https://www.toyota.com/safety-sense/animation/pcspd
You convinced me. Buying the older GS350 is the better choice and just great advice overall. Most of these new safety features are a gimmick at best.
All of the discussion up until you bumped up the post pertained to new cars. Not everyone wants to buy someone's else's car, and play the used car lotto. If it's a 10 year old car vs. a new one, yeah the 10-year-old car should have an absolute ton of better attributes than the new one.

The service on a 10-yr-old lexus vs. a new econo toyota won't even be close. Yours will be tremendously higher due to being out of warranty, and because its a luxury brand. The initial price is just scratching the surface - you have many more expenses ahead that the alternative choice won't.

Post Reply