Online/cloud backup or file storage?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
dm200

Online/cloud backup or file storage?

Post by dm200 » Fri May 11, 2018 10:55 am

I am not sure how long this will last, but in about a month I will lose access to the computers I have used for a long time -- and will be using library computers - with my files stored on flash drive(s).

I will want to save/backup using one of the free "cloud" services -

Suggestions and experiences?

nordsteve

Re: Online/cloud backup or file storage?

Post by nordsteve » Fri May 11, 2018 11:05 am

How much data do you want to store? What is the nature of the data?

dm200

Post by dm200 » Fri May 11, 2018 11:14 am

nordsteve wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 11:05 am
WORD documents and letters, excel spreadsheets for investments and bank accounts, etc. Not a huge amount.

Freefun

Post by Freefun » Fri May 11, 2018 11:16 am

dm200 wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 11:14 am
nordsteve wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 11:05 am
WORD documents and letters, excel spreadsheets for investments and bank accounts, etc. Not a huge amount.
I use google drive for those things - also since I use google apps for editing the docs.
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?

Bogle7

Dropbox

Post by Bogle7 » Fri May 11, 2018 11:16 am

"Dropbox Basic comes with 2GB of space and is free."

nordsteve

Post by nordsteve » Fri May 11, 2018 11:17 am

For a small quantity of documents, I'd use a free OneDrive account as it has the best online experience for Word and Excel. A USB drive would be good for periodic offline backups.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Fri May 11, 2018 11:18 am

In my opinion, cloud storage and backup are two different animals.

I have had good experiences with Google Drive, MS OneDrive and, to a lesser extent, Dropbox for online storage solutions.

Google Drive has a slightly more flexible powerful sharing function but for most uses, all three are pretty much interchangeable in terms of functionality.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Fri May 11, 2018 11:21 am

dm200 wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 10:55 am
I am not sure how long this will last, but in about a month I will lose access to the computers I have used for a long time -- and will be using library computers - with my files stored on flash drive(s).

I would save everything to both Google Drive and Dropbox as well as on two flash drives and would not access one of the online services and one of the flash drives at all from the library computers to keep them isolated. I would also be very hesitant to access any financial accounts or similar from the library computers at all and would consider them to be compromised and infected.

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Fri May 11, 2018 11:30 am

At the risk of going a bit off-topic - I'd be leery of using library computers for accessing banks/brokerages.

Hypersion

Post by Hypersion » Fri May 11, 2018 11:38 am

The rule of thumb is to have three copy of everything and at least one should be off site. I would try out all three of the major ones (MS onedrive, google drive, dropbox) and pick the two that you like. The choice will be based upon if you like the UX of google docs vs MS office apps.

You should be able to setup your thumb drive so it will auto sync with the backup services, that way you always have a local copy of your files under your control instead something happens to your cloud data.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Fri May 11, 2018 11:41 am

DaftInvestor wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 11:30 am
At the risk of going a bit off-topic - I'd be leery of using library computers for accessing banks/brokerages.
Good question or concern (?)

The post claim is that these Windows computers clear everything when you logoff and they are "restarted".

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Fri May 11, 2018 11:47 am

dm200 wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 11:41 am
DaftInvestor wrote:

The post claim is that these Windows computers clear everything when you logoff and they are "restarted".
I might be overly paranoid but my concern would be how secure they are - someone could enter the library before you and install key-logging software to capture your session/information. Perhaps they have really good security such that everything is cleared when they are restarted including anything that was maliciously installed (or perhaps their security is good enough that nothing can get maliciously installed) but given these are publicly open to everyone; and administered by public employees - it's definitely a concern I'd have.

Luke Duke

Post by Luke Duke » Fri May 11, 2018 12:13 pm

I'd buy an inexpensive laptop or tablet before I relied on a library computer for all of my computing needs.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Fri May 11, 2018 12:43 pm

dm200 wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 11:41 am
DaftInvestor wrote:

They also have physical key loggers that plug inline between the keyboard and the back of the computer. No amount of logging off or restarting the computer is going to get rid of those.

rgs92

Post by rgs92 » Fri May 11, 2018 12:56 pm

I would never use a public computer for anything where I had to enter a password or personal data or any data I did not want to be accessible to the general public. I would probably apply this approach for any computer I didn't own.

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Fri May 11, 2018 1:13 pm

dm200 wrote:

I use Google Drive.
Easy, fast, and free.

But I'd never use a library computer. If it came to that I'd purchase a ChromeBook instead.

oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy » Fri May 11, 2018 2:54 pm

JoeRetire wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 1:13 pm
But I'd never use a library computer. If it came to that I'd purchase a ChromeBook instead.
+1. Never, ever use a library computer to access any financially sensitive sites. Also +1 on the Chromebook. I never use anything Windows-based for financial interactions. Call me paranoid if you wish.
It’s taken me a lot of years, but I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people. And if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you.

Post by 2015 » Sat May 12, 2018 2:46 pm

dm200 wrote:

This is a timely thread. In prior threads on this subject I have been opposed to online backup and created an elaborate, overly complicated (IMO) methodology for offline file storage/backup. This worked out fine until, as with all best-laid plans, I recently lost two sources of backups (DVD and external drive) when my computer drive software mysteriously failed.

After judiciously studying prior threads on this subject, I decided it was time to upload critical data to the cloud as not doing so represented a point of failure risk I was unwilling to take, now matter how many different media I was backed up to locally. Nonetheless, I remained highly uncomfortable with uploading anything to the cloud that wasn't encrypted locally first. Based on prior threads, yesterday I successfully installed VeraCrypt on my computer and placed my most critical data and files in a VC "container", then uploaded that encrypted container to Google One Drive. Google Drive provides 15 Gig of storage free. As prior threads predicted, uploading to GD is relatively slow due to uploading of encrypted data. Still, I'm relieved knowing my most critical data is uploaded elsewhere.

The above represents a sea change in thinking for me with respect to data security, and I'm still working on creating a methodology for minimizing slow upload speeds to GD. I'm thinking of creating one separate VC container for those critical docs I revise most frequently (e.g., financial), and then creating separate containers for critical docs I revise less frequently. Less critical data I may just keep on identical thumb drives at home (encrypted) and in the safe deposit box (unencrypted). It's a work in progress.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Sat May 12, 2018 3:16 pm

2015 wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 2:46 pm
The above represents a sea change in thinking for me with respect to data security, and I'm still working on creating a methodology for minimizing slow upload speeds to GD. I'm thinking of creating one separate VC container for those critical docs I revise most frequently (e.g., financial), and then creating separate containers for critical docs I revise less frequently. Less critical data I may just keep on identical thumb drives at home (encrypted) and in the safe deposit box (unencrypted). It's a work in progress.
You might look at file-level encryption. I have not used any yet other than briefly testing Boxcryptor. I have seen some information that was quite positive on AxCrypt but I have not tried it or researched it.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

randomizer

Post by randomizer » Sat May 12, 2018 3:17 pm

Google Drive and Dropbox are both good.
75:25 — HODL the course!

Hyperborea

Post by Hyperborea » Sat May 12, 2018 3:29 pm

I'll second (third?) the suggestion to not use the library computer for logging into important accounts. The only way that I'd use the library computers for important stuff is if I was in such dire straights that I had no other choice - e.g. I was homeless. Otherwise use it to read the online newspaper or the card catalog but nothing important. Unless you are in dire straights, get a cheap $250 Chromebook and use a VPN to connect to the library WiFi. Store your docs directly into Google Drive and on a flash drive locally plugged into your Chromebook. If you want to backup to another web service then you can copy the files manually or there are plugins to Chrome and or Drive to do some of that.
"Plans are worthless, but planning is everything." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Post by 2015 » Sat May 12, 2018 3:39 pm

jebmke wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 3:16 pm
2015 wrote:
You might look at file-level encryption. I have not used any yet other than briefly testing Boxcryptor. I have seen some information that was quite positive on AxCrypt but I have not tried it or researched it.
I hated Boxcryptor, which I wasted the morning on before uninstalling and subsequently downloading VeraCrypt. I could not get Boxcryptor to encrypt, but it was probably just me. OTOH, I really like VC as it negates the necessity and trouble of individual file encryption. With VC, everything is encrypted, not only on your computer but when placed in the cloud. I particularly like that all files in VC containers are invisible until the container is dismounted. Only the container is visible (in the container file location on your computer, and as a "container" file in the cloud), and I tried opening it with a variety of programs (I refuse to call any Microsoft program an app based on pure obstinance alone) and the result was always a string of characters, no matter the program. Unable to open the container in OneDrive, I was able to downloaded it and the same unintelligible character string result occurred when I attempted to "open" the container using a variety of programs.

As to my revised backup storage methodology, I am probably going to go this route outlined in an earlier thread [the 2011 thread reference is to True Crypt, VC's predecessor]:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=74210&sid=9140cdb3 ... 0#p1242434

Toons

Post by Toons » Sat May 12, 2018 3:45 pm

Online for years here.
Google Drive
DropBox.
Easy access.
Do Not Fret.
:mrgreen:
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Sat May 12, 2018 3:49 pm

2015 wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 3:39 pm
I hated Boxcryptor, which I wasted the morning on before uninstalling and subsequently downloading VeraCrypt.
I was able to get Boxcryptor to work fine but decided not to use it. I keep everything in a Veracrypt vault but at 50gb it is too big to move to online storage. I don't put anything in my Google Drive that is sensitive and Google/OneDrive/Dropbox aren't really backup systems so I don't need them for backup.

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Sat May 12, 2018 3:56 pm

2015 wrote:
I'm still working on creating a methodology for minimizing slow upload speeds to GD. I'm thinking of creating one separate VC container for those critical docs I revise most frequently (e.g., financial), and then creating separate containers for critical docs I revise less frequently. Less critical data I may just keep on identical thumb drives at home (encrypted) and in the safe deposit box (unencrypted). It's a work in progress.
Most people revise the same small set of files frequently.

Encrypt each file individually. Your initial upload to the cloud will take a while, but subsequent uploads of the modified files will be swift.

Post by 2015 » Sun May 13, 2018 1:10 pm

JoeRetire wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 3:56 pm
2015 wrote:
I'm still working on creating a methodology for minimizing slow upload speeds to GD. I'm thinking of creating one separate VC container for those critical docs I revise most frequently (e.g., financial), and then creating separate containers for critical docs I revise less frequently. Less critical data I may just keep on identical thumb drives at home (encrypted) and in the safe deposit box (unencrypted). It's a work in progress.

Encrypt each file individually. Your initial upload to the cloud will take a while, but subsequent uploads of the modified files will be swift.
I agree with your first statement, but am confused about the underlined portion. With VeraCrypt, encrypting files individually doubles effort, as files are already encrypted within any VC container. Are you saying create a separate VC container for each separate file? I hadn't thought of that, but the truth is, I've found uploading an updated VC container holding a set of frequently modified files into OneDrive really doesn't take that long. This is why I'm thinking of breaking containers into sets of (a) files revised most frequently; (b) files revised less frequently; and (c) files revised infrequently. Doing so negates the need to encrypt individual files.

I've also discovered one fantastic feature of OneDrive is it retains older versions which can be restored up to 30 days (I'm not sure if longer than that which I'm in the process of investigating).

Thanks for the suggestion and for aiding me in my thought process. I was thinking how relieved I was this morning knowing these critical files are somewhere other than locally, including a safe deposit box.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Sun May 13, 2018 1:35 pm

dm200 wrote:

I don't understand the premise. Everyone loses access to a given computer every few years when it gets replaced. Why does this mean resorting to "library computers?"

Gadget

Post by Gadget » Sun May 13, 2018 2:04 pm

I am confused by how many people are encrypting ALL of their files. I use google drive for pretty much everything. I pay for extra google cloud storage because 99.9% of what I store on the cloud are pictures and home videos. Do people really care if those get hacked? I care more if I lose them, which is why I use the cloud.

Then when it boils down to it, how many important files do I really have? My tax return data. A few financial spreadsheets and documents. All my passwords are in a password manager, which is already encrypted. That leaves me with very minimal files that I even need to consider encrypting. And that's if I believe that my google account with 2 factor authentication will be comprimised. I at least have faith that Google is doing everything they can to keep my cloud data secure not because they care about me, but because of how devastating it would be to their company perception if they had a mass data breach.

dignan

Post by dignan » Sun May 13, 2018 2:26 pm

2015 wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 1:10 pm
JoeRetire wrote:
2015 wrote:

I agree with your first statement, but am confused about the underlined portion. With VeraCrypt, encrypting files individually doubles effort, as files are already encrypted within any VC container. Are you saying create a separate VC container for each separate file? I hadn't thought of that, but the truth is, I've found uploading an updated VC container holding a set of frequently modified files into OneDrive really doesn't take that long. This is why I'm thinking of breaking containers into sets of (a) files revised most frequently; (b) files revised less frequently; and (c) files revised infrequently. Doing so negates the need to encrypt individual files.

I've also discovered one fantastic feature of OneDrive is it retains older versions which can be restored up to 30 days (I'm not sure if longer than that which I'm in the process of investigating).

Thanks for the suggestion and for aiding me in my thought process. I was thinking how relieved I was this morning knowing these critical files are somewhere other than locally, including a safe deposit box.
I highly recommend cryptomator for encrypting individual files. It's free and they accept donations.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Sun May 13, 2018 3:16 pm

Gadget wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 2:04 pm
I am confused by how many people are encrypting ALL of their files. I use google drive for pretty much everything. I pay for extra google cloud storage because 99.9% of what I store on the cloud are pictures and home videos. Do people really care if those get hacked? I care more if I lose them, which is why I use the cloud.

I'll take a shot at this. But again, I will repeat my earlier statement - cloud storage isn't the same as cloud backup and it is risky to treat them the same.

I don't encrypt all our photos and music. That is about 50gb and I use Amazon for the photos because it is unlimited free for prime users.

As for the rest, I find that it is easier for me if I don't have to stop and think "do I put this in the vault or not." Also, it might surprise you how much stuff starts to accumulate.

40 years of tax returns
At least a couple of decades of VG statements and confirmations
Quicken files.
I keep our most active bank statements
I audit a couple of non-profits so I have several years of audit records.
I moved my browser (Firefox) and email (Thunderbird) profiles into the encrypted drive from their default location.
All PDF versions of legal documents (wills, deeds etc.)
Any medical records which are in electronic format.

It adds up.

Those would all be encrypted if I had to keep two forks. So it is simply easier for me to keep one fork. Everything but media is in the vault.

Post by 2015 » Sun May 13, 2018 7:12 pm

dignan wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 2:26 pm
2015 wrote:
JoeRetire wrote:
2015 wrote:

I highly recommend cryptomator for encrypting individual files. It's free and they accept donations.
Thanks, but I'm sticking with VeraCrypt. Highly satisfied with it.

Post by 2015 » Sun May 13, 2018 7:19 pm

2015 wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 7:12 pm
dignan wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 2:26 pm
2015 wrote:
JoeRetire wrote:
2015 wrote:

Thanks, but I'm sticking with VeraCrypt and eliminating the necessity of encrypting individual files. Highly satisfied with it.

I'm also using OneDrive for both storage and backup, as anything stored on OneDrive is identically stored/backed up locally on a thumb drive at home and on another in the safe deposit box. Most aren't willing to go this additional mile, but it's just what I'm comfortable with. I don't intend to store/backup digital pics to OneDrive, or any other digital data that I won't care will be lost. Such less critical data will be stored on the thumb drives alone.

gold99xx

Post by gold99xx » Sun May 13, 2018 7:54 pm

Please remember EVERYTHING stored in the cloud is at risk to hacking and security breaches. Basically, anything connected VIA the net can be compromised. The ONLY way to secure your information is to AIR gap it, and/or keep it on physical backups, kept under your control. Now is it likely that google drive etc will get hacked and your info will be compromised, probably not, But remember it is possible... All too often people think that info on the cloud is safe when it really is not. Also NEVER access your banking or critical logins from a public computer or public WIFI, please don't underestimate how easy it is for that information to get accessed. A simple google search will back this up.

jayjayc

Post by jayjayc » Sun May 13, 2018 9:56 pm

jebmke wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 3:16 pm
cloud storage isn't the same as cloud backup and it is risky to treat them the same.
What is the difference between cloud storage and cloud backup?

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Mon May 14, 2018 9:01 am

2015 wrote:
JoeRetire wrote:
2015 wrote:

I agree with your first statement, but am confused about the underlined portion. With VeraCrypt, encrypting files individually doubles effort, as files are already encrypted within any VC container.
I'm not suggesting that you use Veracrypt.

Post by 2015 » Mon May 14, 2018 1:39 pm

JoeRetire wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 9:01 am
2015 wrote:
JoeRetire wrote:
2015 wrote:

I agree with your first statement, but am confused about the underlined portion. With VeraCrypt, encrypting files individually doubles effort, as files are already encrypted within any VC container.
I'm not suggesting that you use Veracrypt.
Thanks, I got it. In my case, I'm using VC so that I don't have to encrypt files individually. Appreciate your input.

Post by 2015 » Mon May 14, 2018 5:15 pm

jayjayc wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 9:56 pm
jebmke wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 3:16 pm
cloud storage isn't the same as cloud backup and it is risky to treat them the same.
What is the difference between cloud storage and cloud backup?
I could be wrong (and perhaps jebmke will weigh in), but I took this to mean "cloud storage" as storing all of one's data in the cloud with no other backup strategy. OTOH, using the cloud as backup involves backing data up to other locations as well. I currently use the 3-2-1 data backup strategy:

https://www.carbonite.com/blog/article/ ... -1-backup/

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Mon May 14, 2018 5:25 pm

Backup (cloud or not) should be robust and have at least a couple of features in my opinion.

One, there needs to be versioning to prevent destruction/deletion of a good copy. Simple mirrors will mirror your mistakes as well as other problems (file corruption, malware etc).

Two, you need a clean process for restoring files - either to the existing hardware or new hardware and the process should include periodically testing the restore process to make sure it works and that you know how to do it.

Ideally, a backup process should also have a verification process that examines the backed up copy and the original copy to make sure that they are the same.

I can't tell you how many times I have had my cloud storage data hosed up (sometimes by myself) and problems propagated to the cloud. I have a separate process running on my computer that does a true backup to my NAS, including versioning so on occasion I have had to restore from a backup my cloud storage data. I am testing a couple of cloud backup systems. One of them, iDrive, has failed a couple of tests. My next step is to run a test on SpiderOak which is one favored by LadyGeek.

Post by 2015 » Tue May 15, 2018 2:30 pm

<deleted>