Anyone using Obitalk for Google Voice?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Post Reply
CULater
Posts: 1606
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:59 am

Anyone using Obitalk for Google Voice?

Post by CULater » Fri May 11, 2018 10:01 am

Have been using an Obi100 for years for VOIP with Google Voice and no problems. But lately it won't work anymore and I keep getting this error message in the setup
Backing Off :
TCP connection to 74.125.135.125 failed
I've tried all the obvious things like rebooting everything, deleting and re-installing the configuration, etc. Can't solve it. Just thought I'd take a long shot and see if anybody else is using Obitalk and run into this and found a solution.
May you have the hindsight to know where you've been, The foresight to know where you're going, And the insight to know when you've gone too far. ~ Irish Blessing

Soon2BXProgrammer
Posts: 541
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:30 pm

Re: Anyone using Obitalk for Google Voice?

Post by Soon2BXProgrammer » Fri May 11, 2018 10:27 am

upgrade to a 200 series.. they announced a while ago the 100 series was end of life, then google changed something as well..

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/google- ... s-2139232/

Pluto9th
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:59 pm

Re: Anyone using Obitalk for Google Voice?

Post by Pluto9th » Sat May 12, 2018 4:46 pm

Soon2BXProgrammer wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 10:27 am
upgrade to a 200 series.. they announced a while ago the 100 series was end of life, then google changed something as well..

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/google- ... s-2139232/
OP: note that the link above also mentions the $5.99 solution (one-time fee, you can keep using the Obi 100 device) through a new SIP gateway at simonics (https://simonics.com/gw/index.php). Or get there through http://nerdvittles.com/?p=12807 for some nice discussions on the topic, along with a $1 discount on the $5.99 fee.

User avatar
Don_Qua
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:42 pm

Re: Anyone using Obitalk for Google Voice?

Post by Don_Qua » Sun May 13, 2018 3:37 pm

Try this before getting new hardware or paying someone $5.95 http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php? ... 4#msg73954

CULater
Posts: 1606
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:59 am

Re: Anyone using Obitalk for Google Voice?

Post by CULater » Mon May 14, 2018 11:08 am

Thanks for the suggestions. Just to make my life easier, I went for an Obi200 for $49.95 from Amazon -- not a huge sum. Hooked it up yesterday and after I did the firmware update it works like a charm. I happy. :happy
May you have the hindsight to know where you've been, The foresight to know where you're going, And the insight to know when you've gone too far. ~ Irish Blessing

wisevermilion
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:53 pm

Re: Anyone using Obitalk for Google Voice?

Post by wisevermilion » Mon May 21, 2018 12:03 pm

I had an OBi110. I used it for years with Google Voice. A few months ago, it stopped working for a while and so I ordered an OBi202 (it was suspiciously on sale around this time). By the time the OBi202 arrived, my OBi110 started working again, so I continue to use the OBi110.

In the past 1-2 weeks, my OBi110 quit working. I decided to plug in my OBi202. After upgrading to the latest firmware, I was finally able to get it working with Google Voice.

ft2010
Posts: 74
Joined: Sun May 17, 2015 8:22 pm

Re: Anyone using Obitalk for Google Voice?

Post by ft2010 » Mon May 21, 2018 1:59 pm

My obi100 is still working. I have friends whose 1xx device quit working but recently updated theirs using a third party firmware. They say it works out great. Searching "naf firmware" got me directed to obifirmware.com, since my device is still working, I have not tried it myself. Hope this helps someone.

RickBoglehead
Posts: 1261
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:10 am

Re: Anyone using Obitalk for Google Voice?

Post by RickBoglehead » Mon May 21, 2018 3:16 pm

OBi was recently purchased by Polycom. I would expect an increasing push out of consumer, and wasn't going to buy an OBi 202 which is many years old also and likely to be discontinued soon.

I use Callcentric for my E911, it's easy to have GV call my home phone via PC interface, then place the call on GV, so I do it that way and use my home phone. I can still use the OBi to dial E911. Who knows how long Simon is going to be around?

User avatar
sunny_socal
Posts: 1705
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:22 pm

Re: Anyone using Obitalk for Google Voice?

Post by sunny_socal » Tue May 22, 2018 8:23 am

RickBoglehead wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 3:16 pm
OBi was recently purchased by Polycom. I would expect an increasing push out of consumer, and wasn't going to buy an OBi 202 which is many years old also and likely to be discontinued soon.

I use Callcentric for my E911, it's easy to have GV call my home phone via PC interface, then place the call on GV, so I do it that way and use my home phone. I can still use the OBi to dial E911. Who knows how long Simon is going to be around?
Bummer :(

Obi VOIP has been my most frugal purchase of all time. They can take it from my cold deal hands! :twisted:

elderwise
Posts: 83
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:27 am

Re: Anyone using Obitalk for Google Voice?

Post by elderwise » Tue May 22, 2018 8:31 am

So a techy answer is Google updated their certs for XMPP , and Obi is not doing any more FW updates on obi100/110

The NAF firmware fixes this.

IF anyone needs help, just PM me.

My 110 works 100% after doing the NAF fix, and i already have used it for 4+ years even if it stops working after a year or two I am fine with that :)

elderwise
Posts: 83
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:27 am

Re: Anyone using Obitalk for Google Voice?

Post by elderwise » Tue May 22, 2018 8:31 am

Oh and it barely takes like 5-15 mins only to fix this, patch / update the FW/

Reset obi

Reconfigure via ObiTalk Portal.

RickBoglehead
Posts: 1261
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:10 am

Re: Anyone using Obitalk for Google Voice?

Post by RickBoglehead » Tue May 22, 2018 9:13 am

That update will buy you less than a month. Google is making another change, and it's uncertain how the OBi 100/110s are going to be updated for that. Further, Simon has indicated that they aren't taking new accounts, and they are uncertain about how they're going to make the change work for those they already have.

elderwise
Posts: 83
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:27 am

Re: Anyone using Obitalk for Google Voice?

Post by elderwise » Tue May 22, 2018 9:18 am

RickBoglehead wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 9:13 am
That update will buy you less than a month. Google is making another change, and it's uncertain how the OBi 100/110s are going to be updated for that. Further, Simon has indicated that they aren't taking new accounts, and they are uncertain about how they're going to make the change work for those they already have.
care to share your source / where you see this and what the change is?

Thanks.

infotrader
Posts: 149
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:39 pm

Re: Anyone using Obitalk for Google Voice?

Post by infotrader » Tue May 22, 2018 9:36 am

Same here.
I had obi100 for years, and it quit working, so I upgraded to obi200 6 months ago.

RickBoglehead
Posts: 1261
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:10 am

Re: Anyone using Obitalk for Google Voice?

Post by RickBoglehead » Tue May 22, 2018 9:38 am

elderwise wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 9:18 am
RickBoglehead wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 9:13 am
That update will buy you less than a month. Google is making another change, and it's uncertain how the OBi 100/110s are going to be updated for that. Further, Simon has indicated that they aren't taking new accounts, and they are uncertain about how they're going to make the change work for those they already have.
care to share your source / where you see this and what the change is?

Thanks.
Sure.

In short, Google Voice is being converted to use WebRTC protocol and infrastructure rather than XMPP, which is how all the OBi devices operate with Google Voice. GV has "worked with" OBi in the past to make sure their changes were able to work with OBi, but that was before Polycom bought OBi in January. So, it's possible that all OBi devices stop working with GV in June. Possible.

As to the 100/110s, Simon has a way to workaround the firmware problem (their firmware doesn't get updated by OBi any longer). However, his workaround won't work in the new world, so he has to figure out a new solution. The alternate firmware created by OBi customers for the 100/110, also won't work.

As I noted, I'm in this situation, but I use CallCentric to bring all my incoming calls for free. So my only issue is making outbound calls, which I can easily do on my PC (or tablet, or cell phone) by having GV call my phones via CallCentric, phone rings, I pickup, and then GV makes the outbound call. Not pretty, but it's quick, and all my contacts are in Google so GV on my PC is easy to use.

I've had my OBi 110 since the end of 2011. It's never been "easy" to use, there was always some tweak that had to be done. OBi was a company founded by engineers, and it showed in their lack of consumer support, it was appalling. With Polycom now calling the shots, I fully expect full abandonment of the GV aspect of the business, because businesses don't care about GV, and Polycom isn't a consumer company. That's just my opinion though.

Keep in mind they were pushing the OBi202 as the solution after Polycom bought them, and the OBi202 was announced in April 2012. It's got to be end of life soon, but this allowed them to move out inventory that probably was already written down.

Here's the source: https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31938 ... ay-in-June

By the way, RonR was kicked off the OBi forums years back despite being the biggest contributor, very helpful posts, but OBi didn't like that he was showing people how to do things that they didn't want him to.

ft2010
Posts: 74
Joined: Sun May 17, 2015 8:22 pm

Re: Anyone using Obitalk for Google Voice?

Post by ft2010 » Tue May 22, 2018 9:45 am

Just saw a rumor that Google would no longer support xmpp in June

RickBoglehead
Posts: 1261
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:10 am

Re: Anyone using Obitalk for Google Voice?

Post by RickBoglehead » Tue May 22, 2018 10:40 am

That's why I said "for about a month"

User avatar
sunny_socal
Posts: 1705
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:22 pm

Re: Anyone using Obitalk for Google Voice?

Post by sunny_socal » Tue May 22, 2018 1:04 pm

Any word on alternatives to Obi for the future? I LOVE my Obi202+GV solution :|

SimonJester
Posts: 1684
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:39 pm

Re: Anyone using Obitalk for Google Voice?

Post by SimonJester » Tue May 22, 2018 2:08 pm

The Obi / Polycom folks are already on top of this:
https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=13824.0

I think the 200 series devices will be fine....
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

inbox788
Posts: 5693
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:24 pm

Re: Anyone using Obitalk for Google Voice?

Post by inbox788 » Tue May 22, 2018 3:52 pm

elderwise wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 9:18 am
RickBoglehead wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 9:13 am
That update will buy you less than a month. Google is making another change, and it's uncertain how the OBi 100/110s are going to be updated for that. Further, Simon has indicated that they aren't taking new accounts, and they are uncertain about how they're going to make the change work for those they already have.
care to share your source / where you see this and what the change is?

Thanks.
There's a link to the Google announcement in this news item:
We are beta testing an updated Google Voice Gateway that will work with Google Voice’s new SIP interop. After testing, if successful, this update will be rolled out to all GVGW users without any intervention necessary, on or before June 18.
https://simonics.com/news/

Hopefully this works. It would be ironic if Obi100's kept going with this fix, but the newer Obi's were impacted. Could GVGW be used with Obi200 series if needed?

BTW, I've been using Obi/GV mostly for convenience as an extra line, and the use has only been occasional. I realize I could take an old phone and use WiFi with GV and achieve similar function if really necessary, but I think sound quality of home phone handsets is slightly higher.
Last edited by inbox788 on Tue May 22, 2018 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MathWizard
Posts: 3092
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:35 pm

Re: Anyone using Obitalk for Google Voice?

Post by MathWizard » Tue May 22, 2018 3:54 pm

We are transitioning to Obitalk/GV from Vonage.

I would switch right now if I could change the Google Voice number to my current number,
which my wife wants to keep.

inbox788
Posts: 5693
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:24 pm

Re: Anyone using Obitalk for Google Voice?

Post by inbox788 » Tue May 22, 2018 4:09 pm

MathWizard wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 3:54 pm
We are transitioning to Obitalk/GV from Vonage.

I would switch right now if I could change the Google Voice number to my current number,
which my wife wants to keep.
You can, but it might be a two step dance. If you can't port directly from Vonage (or whatever service) to GV, you may be able to port first to a wireless service and from there to GV. There used to be a prepaid $2 (t-mobile or reseller?) plan that I saw, and I recently saw a $3 sim on eBay that might be usable, but haven't tried it. Also, GV has a $20 porting fee.

Google "vonage to google voice" and see what folks are experiencing and recommending. Be careful, though because you risk losing your number at each step if you're doing it correctly.
https://www.zdnet.com/article/google-vo ... ur-number/
https://productforums.google.com/forum/ ... EGSKEL8xp0
https://productforums.google.com/forum/ ... u82mrHMgoo

I've got a number I've been meaning to transfer to GV, but it's likely going to take a couple of days of babysitting that I haven't prioritized. I recently ported a number, and while it was done in less than 24 hours, I wish it was done in the 10 minutes that was possible if uncomplicated (there was a mistake in the account number that required correction), and of course I picked a day where I needed to use the number.

User avatar
VictoriaF
Posts: 18634
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:27 am
Location: Black Swan Lake

Re: Anyone using Obitalk for Google Voice?

Post by VictoriaF » Wed May 23, 2018 2:13 pm

I have switched to OBi200 several months ago, after my 100 series stopped working. OBi200 was working well until recently. In the past few days, I had several occasions when I could not make outgoing calls; I was getting a message to the effect that the destination number was unreachable.

Is there anything I need to do to make OBi200 great again?
Will OBi200 still be working after June 2018, or I will need to find another VoIP solution?

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

SimonJester
Posts: 1684
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:39 pm

Re: Anyone using Obitalk for Google Voice?

Post by SimonJester » Thu May 24, 2018 8:24 am

VictoriaF wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 2:13 pm
I have switched to OBi200 several months ago, after my 100 series stopped working. OBi200 was working well until recently. In the past few days, I had several occasions when I could not make outgoing calls; I was getting a message to the effect that the destination number was unreachable.

Is there anything I need to do to make OBi200 great again?
Will OBi200 still be working after June 2018, or I will need to find another VoIP solution?

Victoria
Obi2XX devices have received a firmware update that will allow it to continue working once GV changes their back end. I would try rebooting the Obi200 to see if that clear things up. You can go into your Obi device on the web page and see if the firmware is up to date, mine is using 3.2.2 (Build: 5859EX).
You can also see this from the Obi service under the ObiExpert menu, then system status...
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

CULater
Posts: 1606
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:59 am

Re: Anyone using Obitalk for Google Voice?

Post by CULater » Thu May 24, 2018 9:38 am

Just bought an Obi 200 and didn't work at first until I downloaded the firmware update from the Obitalk website. Has been OK since then.
May you have the hindsight to know where you've been, The foresight to know where you're going, And the insight to know when you've gone too far. ~ Irish Blessing

Jim85
Posts: 167
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:10 am

Re: Anyone using Obitalk for Google Voice?

Post by Jim85 » Thu May 24, 2018 10:38 am

Why do those with Google voice use Obitalk? I canceled my landline a few months ago after getting the number ported to Google voice. I intended to get Obitalk or something but then just decided to forward all calls coming into my Google voice to my cellphone. Works great.

User avatar
VictoriaF
Posts: 18634
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:27 am
Location: Black Swan Lake

Re: Anyone using Obitalk for Google Voice?

Post by VictoriaF » Thu May 24, 2018 10:51 am

Jim85 wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 10:38 am
Why do those with Google voice use Obitalk? I canceled my landline a few months ago after getting the number ported to Google voice. I intended to get Obitalk or something but then just decided to forward all calls coming into my Google voice to my cellphone. Works great.
You need to have a smartphone and pay for a cellular service. Using OBi does not require having a cellular service.

I have a cellphone that is not a smartphone. The reception at my home is quite bad. The OBi connection, when it works, is always perfect.

Even when you have a cellphone/smartphone, having an independent source of communications enhances the resilience of your personal technology architecture. If your cellphone is broken or stolen, you can still make calls using OBi. Paying $40-$50 for a new OBi device every few years is a small price for increased resilience.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

User avatar
VictoriaF
Posts: 18634
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:27 am
Location: Black Swan Lake

Re: Anyone using Obitalk for Google Voice?

Post by VictoriaF » Thu May 24, 2018 11:17 am

SimonJester wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 8:24 am
VictoriaF wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 2:13 pm
I have switched to OBi200 several months ago, after my 100 series stopped working. OBi200 was working well until recently. In the past few days, I had several occasions when I could not make outgoing calls; I was getting a message to the effect that the destination number was unreachable.

Is there anything I need to do to make OBi200 great again?
Will OBi200 still be working after June 2018, or I will need to find another VoIP solution?

Victoria
Obi2XX devices have received a firmware update that will allow it to continue working once GV changes their back end. I would try rebooting the Obi200 to see if that clear things up. You can go into your Obi device on the web page and see if the firmware is up to date, mine is using 3.2.2 (Build: 5859EX).
You can also see this from the Obi service under the ObiExpert menu, then system status...
Thank you, SimonJester,

I have just checked my firmware configuration and it's the same as yours, i.e., 3.2.2 (Build: 5859EX).

My OBi page states that my service was up for the past 13 days, which contradicts my experience of not being able to make calls a few times. Is it possible that the problem was not with the OBi device but with the lack of capacity in the VoIP network it is using?

As I was reviewing my OBi site, I noticed that I am having a free support service for a year after I have purchased OBi-200. When the year is over, I can pay $20/year for the ongoing service. I will probably end up paying $20/year to avoid worrying about it.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

ft2010
Posts: 74
Joined: Sun May 17, 2015 8:22 pm

Re: Anyone using Obitalk for Google Voice?

Post by ft2010 » Thu May 24, 2018 12:00 pm

Jim85 wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 10:38 am
Why do those with Google voice use Obitalk? I canceled my landline a few months ago after getting the number ported to Google voice. I intended to get Obitalk or something but then just decided to forward all calls coming into my Google voice to my cellphone. Works great.
They(we) are using GV number as VOIP landline (w/existing traditional telephones) and/or with additional line on the OBI device for fax.

For mobile communications on android phones, in addition to forwarding GV to your cellphone number, you can also install Hangouts + Hangouts Dialer, to place/receive GV calls or text messages directly on your smart phone's app (thus saving minutes of your mobile plan, in particular while you have WIFI at home or elsewhere). Thus, if your focus on mobile only, there is no need to involve OBI devices.

p.s. My OBI 100 is finally out of service with GV (perhaps since yesterday) however I am not too eager to get another OBI 200 device for now. I already have Ooma for regular home landline service, the OBI was bought for a slightly different purpose (direct machine to machine calls with a relative in a foreign country).

SimonJester
Posts: 1684
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:39 pm

Re: Anyone using Obitalk for Google Voice?

Post by SimonJester » Thu May 24, 2018 1:55 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 11:17 am
Is it possible that the problem was not with the OBi device but with the lack of capacity in the VoIP network it is using?

Victoria

I experienced a similar issue around the same time, so perhaps there was an issue with GV...
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

inbox788
Posts: 5693
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:24 pm

Re: Anyone using Obitalk for Google Voice?

Post by inbox788 » Thu May 24, 2018 2:41 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 10:51 am
Even when you have a cellphone/smartphone, having an independent source of communications enhances the resilience of your personal technology architecture. If your cellphone is broken or stolen, you can still make calls using OBi. Paying $40-$50 for a new OBi device every few years is a small price for increased resilience.

Victoria
We're talking VOIP home phones here right?
Sounds like you've been attending one too many seminars. "personal technology architecture" LOL.
Care to share your operational strategy, resource management plan and roadmap ?

But then I thought, maybe you did just come back from a seminar. Mr. Anderson? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XooISvoZ_rs&t=50s
PERSONAL TECHNOLOGY ARCHITECTURE
Ubiquity, Volume 2001 Issue December, December 1 - December 31, 2001 | BY ESPEN ANDERSEN
https://ubiquity.acm.org/article.cfm?id=503118

FWIW, my ISP has been down for 2 days, so I've been testing the resilience of my personal technology architecture. And while I survived unscathed, it's not all that robust, and could use improvement. Is there a advisor or professional consultant I should hire on these matters?

And BTW, I discovered/realized the Obi gives a false dialtone (not like the false ringtone). You don't know if the network is disconnected until after you try to dial out.

User avatar
VictoriaF
Posts: 18634
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:27 am
Location: Black Swan Lake

Re: Anyone using Obitalk for Google Voice?

Post by VictoriaF » Thu May 24, 2018 4:16 pm

inbox788 wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 2:41 pm
VictoriaF wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 10:51 am
Even when you have a cellphone/smartphone, having an independent source of communications enhances the resilience of your personal technology architecture. If your cellphone is broken or stolen, you can still make calls using OBi. Paying $40-$50 for a new OBi device every few years is a small price for increased resilience.

Victoria
We're talking VOIP home phones here right?
Sounds like you've been attending one too many seminars. "personal technology architecture" LOL.
Care to share your operational strategy, resource management plan and roadmap ?

But then I thought, maybe you did just come back from a seminar. Mr. Anderson? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XooISvoZ_rs&t=50s
PERSONAL TECHNOLOGY ARCHITECTURE
Ubiquity, Volume 2001 Issue December, December 1 - December 31, 2001 | BY ESPEN ANDERSEN
https://ubiquity.acm.org/article.cfm?id=503118

FWIW, my ISP has been down for 2 days, so I've been testing the resilience of my personal technology architecture. And while I survived unscathed, it's not all that robust, and could use improvement. Is there a advisor or professional consultant I should hire on these matters?

And BTW, I discovered/realized the Obi gives a false dialtone (not like the false ringtone). You don't know if the network is disconnected until after you try to dial out.
I use the most precise expressions I know. How about you?

I used the word "architecture" because technology decisions should not be made in isolation. You have to define technical functions you want, your requirements and constraints. You have to consider all items of technology you already have, evaluate how secure and how resilient your current technology is, and decide whether you need additional technology. I replaced most of this text with an all-encompassing word "architecture." I added "personal" to architecture to emphasize that today, it's not just businesses that need to define their technical architecture but everybody who has more than two devices with chips.

I did not say that VoIP is resilient. I said that having two independent sources of communications, cellular service and VoIP, is more resilient than one.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

CULater
Posts: 1606
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:59 am

Re: Anyone using Obitalk for Google Voice?

Post by CULater » Thu May 24, 2018 5:14 pm

Just received this email. I'm sure they won't mind me posting it here. I could have saved $15 on the Obi200 I just bought on Amazon. :(
Google is in the process of upgrading the Google Voice service to a new platform. With that, Google will end support for their old voice platform. Based on this, and the fact your OBi100 or OBi110 device can only work with the old Google Voice platform, the Google Voice service will no longer work on your OBi1 Series device(s). In fact, as Google updates to the new platform and moves away from the old platform, many of you may have already been impacted by the migration. E.g. Your OBi100 or OBi110 has stopped working with Google Voice.

Fortunately, the OBi2 Series devices (OBi200, OBi202, OBi212) are available to take the place of the venerable OBi1 Series. The OBi2 Series is fully supported and capable of using Google Voice as a service. We understand with all change comes concern. Don’t worry. The transition to the OBi2 Series is as easy as making a phone call. Look below for how to move your Google Voice service and, if you have one, an Anveo E911 service to a new OBi2 Series device.

Get the OBi200 for only $34.99. Now thru Sunday, May 27th - while supplies last.
Newegg Promo Code : EMCXPURT2
May you have the hindsight to know where you've been, The foresight to know where you're going, And the insight to know when you've gone too far. ~ Irish Blessing

Pluto9th
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:59 pm

Re: Anyone using Obitalk for Google Voice?

Post by Pluto9th » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:48 pm

The Simonics gateway to Google voice will be discontinued: see the 28 Jun announcement on https://simonics.com/news/. Those who have been using the old Obi 1xx devices connecting a regular phone to Google Voice through Simonics Gateway will need to upgrade to newer Obi devices (e.g. the Obi 200).

helpful55
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:10 pm

Re: Anyone using Obitalk for Google Voice?

Post by helpful55 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:17 pm

Even though I know things are changing and from what I've seen over the years they will probably change more I thought this naf would get me going at least for now. No dice it appears to hook up to GV but no out or in. Others are having this problem also. Anyone hear of any ideas?

And I am glad to see that I am not the only one that smells something rotten (almost from the start). I gladly bought my obi100 for $40 a few years ago. But poor support, very rude forums (support!) and the "the heck with you" attitude to buy another device when obviously they could have upgraded them for us tells me I am not going to spend $50 to get the same. Company has been bought out, yeah. Thanks.

RickBoglehead
Posts: 1261
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:10 am

Re: Anyone using Obitalk for Google Voice?

Post by RickBoglehead » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:07 pm

RickBoglehead wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 3:16 pm
OBi was recently purchased by Polycom. I would expect an increasing push out of consumer, and wasn't going to buy an OBi 202 which is many years old also and likely to be discontinued soon.

I use Callcentric for my E911, it's easy to have GV call my home phone via PC interface, then place the call on GV, so I do it that way and use my home phone. I can still use the OBi to dial E911. Who knows how long Simon is going to be around?
Answer - just over a month.

yuriw
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:21 pm

Re: Anyone using Obitalk for Google Voice?

Post by yuriw » Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:29 pm

I have OBi 202 and tried updating my firmware and every time got "Firmware package checksum error", pls point me where to get latest firmware and how update it. thx

inbox788
Posts: 5693
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:24 pm

Re: Anyone using Obitalk for Google Voice?

Post by inbox788 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:38 am

yuriw wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:29 pm
I have OBi 202 and tried updating my firmware and every time got "Firmware package checksum error", pls point me where to get latest firmware and how update it. thx
I swapped out my 100 for a 200 and am having trouble with one way voice and no ring using GV. Obi-obi works better, but still poor sound quality and worse than the 100. I'm on 3.2.1 firmware and no update available, even though my other 200 is on 3.2.2. Troubleshooting now and trying to figure out where the issues are.

How are you updating? What version are you on and trying to update to? firmware url? Are you using obitalk? What's your autoupdate setting?

BTW, anyone using 3rd party firmware? http://www.obifirmware.com/#faq

wisevermilion
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:53 pm

Re: Anyone using Obitalk for Google Voice?

Post by wisevermilion » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:25 pm

Latest official 20x firmware is located here: https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=9983.260

Post Reply