Subcompact SUVs/Sedans with Adjustable Pedals Question

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
OnTrack2020

Subcompact SUVs/Sedans with Adjustable Pedals Question

Post by OnTrack2020 » Fri May 11, 2018 9:20 am

I am curious if any of you drive a smaller vehicle with adjustable pedals? We have a teenager who is very eager to learn to drive, but we need to find a smaller vehicle and a vehicle that has adjustable pedals, as she is under 5 foot. Any suggestions? We would also need to make sure that the seat height is good also.

lthenderson

Re: Subcompact SUVs/Sedans with Adjustable Pedals Question

Post by lthenderson » Fri May 11, 2018 9:27 am

My wife is exactly five feet and she gets by fine driving a RAV4 by just adjusting the seat forward and up.

tomd37

Post by tomd37 » Fri May 11, 2018 9:31 am

It has been many years (probably more than twenty) since I have seen cars offered with adjustable pedals. But to my best recollection they were offered back in the 1990s as an option.
Tom D.

Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 » Fri May 11, 2018 9:34 am

How tall is she exactly? You say under 5'. 4'9" is the recommendation for sitting in the front for airbag safety. Googling best cars for shorter drivers lists Honda Accord, Mazda 3, Subaru Outback. I don't see that they offer adjustable pedals although the seat and steering wheel are adjustable.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Fri May 11, 2018 11:48 am

She should still be in a booster seat by the modern standards :)

"All children whose weight or height exceeds the forward-facing limit for their car seat should use a belt-positioning booster seat until the vehicle seat belt fits properly, typically when they have reached 4 feet 9 inches in height"

https://www.healthychildren.org/English ... ilies.aspx

dbr

Post by dbr » Sat May 12, 2018 8:53 am

I can only offer a second hand comment, but a friend who is very short swears by the Honda Fit. She is definitely under five feet.

Katietsu

Post by Katietsu » Sat May 12, 2018 9:50 am

I too have not seen adjustable pedals in a long time and they were on large vehicles even then. I would look for an 8 way adjustable seat and an adjustable steering wheel. Hopefully with those options, you can find something comfortable. You may also need to purchase a “seatbelt adjuster” so the seatbelt does not go across her neck.

h82goslw

Post by h82goslw » Sun May 13, 2018 7:24 am

My 2013 Nissan SUV has adjustable pedals so they’re definitely available on some cars.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Sun May 13, 2018 8:59 am

I'd focus on seat, mirror, seat belt, and steering wheel adjustments to get her into a comfortable and safe position. If she is going to be the primary driver the adjustments don't need to be power because you make them once and she's set to go. If other taller people will also be driving the car you might want to look for memory settings but those cars might fall into the luxury category. She'll have to learn to take 30 seconds to adjust everything when she gets in the car. Electronic features like blind spot detection are as a backup but should not be relied upon. A sedan may work better than a CUV which often have large A, B, and C pillars.

dbr

Post by dbr » Sun May 13, 2018 9:23 am

stan1 wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 8:59 am
I'd focus on seat, mirror, seat belt, and steering wheel adjustments to get her into a comfortable and safe position. If she is going to be the primary driver the adjustments don't need to be power because you make them once and she's set to go. If other taller people will also be driving the car you might want to look for memory settings but those cars might fall into the luxury category. She'll have to learn to take 30 seconds to adjust everything when she gets in the car. Electronic features like blind spot detection are as a backup but should not be relied upon. A sedan may work better than a CUV which often have large A, B, and C pillars.
On the other hand sedan body styles seem to have evolved to so much sheet metal especially around the back that nobody including a short person can see out the back. That is what drove me to a CUV and taken all in all I wouldn't have anything else now.

OnTrack2020

Post by OnTrack2020 » Sun May 13, 2018 9:28 am

dbr wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 8:53 am
I can only offer a second hand comment, but a friend who is very short swears by the Honda Fit. She is definitely under five feet.
Thank you. This is very helpful.
h82goslw wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 7:24 am
My 2013 Nissan SUV has adjustable pedals so they’re definitely available on some cars.
I will have to check to see if this is a larger vehicle or on the smaller side. It's somewhat hard to tell from images on the web.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Sun May 13, 2018 9:30 am

dbr wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 9:23 am
stan1 wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 8:59 am
On the other hand sedan body styles seem to have evolved to so much sheet metal especially around the back that nobody including a short person can see out the back. That is what drove me to a CUV and taken all in all I wouldn't have anything else now.
Yes, each person has to sit in and drive a specific car. For a teen the parent would need to ask a lot of questions to help think through what works best. As someone who is 5'8" I find most compact CUVs to have very large blind spots that I feel are unsafe. I only drive smaller vehicles. There's no one size fits all solution.

h82goslw

Post by h82goslw » Sun May 13, 2018 9:50 am

h82goslw wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 7:24 am
I will have to check to see if this is a larger vehicle or on the smaller side. It's somewhat hard to tell from images on the web.
[/quote]

It’s an Armada which is incredibly big and terrible on gas so I doubt your kid would want to drive it.....can’t imagine that there aren’t other Nissan or Infiniti models that don’t have that option.