buying new laptops

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
looking

buying new laptops

Post by looking » Fri May 11, 2018 8:27 am

hello there
I'm shopping for a laptop computer for home and business. I would like to know do we have any new with innovated and popular recent products in the market I would like to buy. And where are the best places to go shopping, like outlets, online, Costco, Amazon, Walmart, best buy for bargain hunting to save some money?

best wishes

lthenderson

Re: buying new laptops

Post by lthenderson » Fri May 11, 2018 8:38 am

I would buy a laptop with a Solid State Drive (SSD).

I would stay away from bargain computer places if I were buying a computer for my business. They are cheap in price and cheap in quality.

Soon2BXProgrammer

Post by Soon2BXProgrammer » Fri May 11, 2018 8:42 am

looking wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 8:27 am
hello there
I'm shopping for a laptop computer for home and business. I would like to know do we have any new with innovated and popular recent products in the market I would like to buy. And where are the best places to go shopping, like outlets, online, Costco, Amazon, Walmart, best buy for bargain hunting to save some money?

best wishes
i've put SSD's and more ram in old computers, and they function well and gives them more life... so don't scrimp on these two things..

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Fri May 11, 2018 9:03 am

Get a business-class machine. Dell Latitude, Lenovo Thinkpad, HP EliteBook, Microsoft Surface, etc. They're far better built and more reliable than consumer junkware, but do cost a bit more. If you're looking to save, buy one of these models a couple years old off-lease, just make sure it has at least an i5, 256+ GB SSD and 8+GB of RAM.

Something like this:

https://www.dellrefurbished.com/laptops ... 28192.html

The 74x0 series has been the primary model I issue to my users for about 6 years now, and I pay a little less than $2k for them new, which is already a significant discount off of list. Getting a well-equipped business-class laptop with a magnesium chassis and carbon fiber display cover for $720 is an absolute steal, and these things will run practically forever. We raffle ours off to employees after 4 years, and they fall all over themselves signing up.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Fri May 11, 2018 9:06 am

looking wrote:
hello there

best wishes
No real recent innovations except for touchscreens and screens that fold back into a tablet form.

No one best place to buy, shop around for the best price.

Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 » Fri May 11, 2018 9:09 am

Costco has a 4 year warranty I believe and mid to higher end laptops. Excellent 90 day return policy as well. I've had good luck with Dell. I would run Linux Mint on it if you want a simple secure OS. Chromebooks also may be an option depending on your usage.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Fri May 11, 2018 11:09 am

looking wrote:
hello there

best wishes
MacBook Pro direct from Apple.
j :D

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Fri May 11, 2018 12:08 pm

Pajamas wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 9:06 am
looking wrote:
hello there

best wishes
No real recent innovations except for touchscreens and screens that fold back into a tablet form.

No one best place to buy, shop around for the best price.
SSDs? That counts as an innovation & not universal by any means?

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Fri May 11, 2018 12:16 pm

Valuethinker wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 12:08 pm
:confused I said nothing about universal but did specify recent and SSDs in laptops are not recent. For that matter, metal cases are an innovation but not recent or universal and there are many other examples.

Hogan773

Post by Hogan773 » Fri May 11, 2018 1:24 pm

Really like our Dell XPS13. Smallest laptop with a still very usable 13 inch screen

Watty

Post by Watty » Fri May 11, 2018 1:36 pm

Alexa9 wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 9:09 am
Costco has a 4 year warranty I believe and mid to higher end laptops.
As I recall it is two years plus an additional 2 years only if you use the Costco Credit card to by the laptop.

Jeff Albertson

Post by Jeff Albertson » Fri May 11, 2018 2:21 pm

Slacker

Post by Slacker » Fri May 11, 2018 2:59 pm

Hogan773 wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 1:24 pm
Really like our Dell XPS13. Smallest laptop with a still very usable 13 inch screen
+1

Just add a larger monitor (24" maybe?) for when you need to work at a desk for long periods of time so that the laptop stays more portable (due to smaller screen) for when you don't need to stare at the screen hours on end.

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Fri May 11, 2018 6:28 pm

SSD is nice, BUT, as they are getting popular, the HDD are getting cheaper as fewer want them. If you're looking to save $$, a non-SSD might be worth considering.

Keep an eye on the network card you get....depending on the age of your home router/modem, you could have connection issues....or you could have a nice laptop that connects at half the speed due to your old router.

USB 3.0 port....

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Fri May 11, 2018 6:49 pm

looking wrote:
hello there
I'm shopping for a laptop computer for home and business. I would like to know do we have any new with innovated and popular recent products in the market I would like to buy.
Not sure why innovative and popular are important. Get what you need and will use and you can't go wrong.
I got a Dell XPS. It's fast with an SSD that I like. It has a touchscreen that I seldom use.
I'm very pleased with this computer.

If I wasn't still using a few programs that require Windows, I would have purchased a Google PixelBook.
And where are the best places to go shopping, like outlets, online, Costco, Amazon, Walmart, best buy for bargain hunting to save some money?
I looked at all those, but found the best price on Amazon.
Two day shipping, plus 5% off using my Prime card.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Fri May 11, 2018 7:13 pm

lthenderson wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 8:38 am
I would buy a laptop with a Solid State Drive (SSD).

I would stay away from bargain computer places if I were buying a computer for my business. They are cheap in price and cheap in quality.
+1

Even “high quality” laptops fail. Don’t go cheap in business if you take business seriously.

randomizer

Post by randomizer » Fri May 11, 2018 7:23 pm

I usually buy from the Apple Store, but I don't like their recent wares.
87.5:12.5, EM tilt — HODL the course!

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Sat May 12, 2018 10:56 am

I will also second the recommendation for business class laptops. Eg: Dell Latitudes or if you need ultraportable, XPS series, as they will usually have more solidly built chassis and better hardware than comparably spec'd Inspirons.

The same for Lenovo Thinkpads and X-series rather than the less expensive Ideapads and Flexes.

Regarding newer 2-in-1 laptops that can swivel or fold back the screen 180 degrees for use like a tablet or in a "tented" configuration - I recently bought one of these (Lenovo Yoga 720 - overall quality is in between the X-series and the Flex, I think) because there was no price premium on the model I got compared to other laptops I was considering, and I made sure to check it out in store so I could inspect the double hinge and be sure it was reasonably robust.

My overall opinion is that 2-in-1 laptops are reasonable purchases, but not a feature I would base my buying decision on. I never find myself with reasons to use mine in the tablet configuration, and the tented configuration doesn't appeal to me much other than for watching videos in situations where I don't have much desk space, which is very low on my priority list.

Pricewise, any of those stores you mentioned should be checked out. Best Buy in particular has been fighting hard against the online competition from Amazon, Newegg, and others, with aggressive sales prices if you can wait for the good deals to come up.
Pajamas wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 12:16 pm
Valuethinker wrote:
:confused I said nothing about universal but did specify recent and SSDs in laptops are not recent. For that matter, metal cases are an innovation but not recent or universal and there are many other examples.
They are recent enough that I'd guess the majority of computer users haven't owned a PC with an SSD (obviously, plenty have in smart phones, but that's the only option in that product category). In my opinion, they are well worth the cost for the boot, load time, and virtual memory performance benefits they offer, unless the user is focusing primarily on price.

They seem to me like exactly the sort of feature the OP should be aware of and consider.

Post by 2015 » Sat May 12, 2018 2:08 pm

iamlucky13 wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 10:56 am
Pajamas wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 12:16 pm
Valuethinker wrote:
They are recent enough that I'd guess the majority of computer users haven't owned a PC with an SSD (obviously, plenty have in smart phones, but that's the only option in that product category). In my opinion, they are well worth the cost for the boot, load time, and virtual memory performance benefits they offer, unless the user is focusing primarily on price.

They seem to me like exactly the sort of feature the OP should be aware of and consider.
Thanks for weighing in with this helpful information.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Mon May 14, 2018 5:06 am

$320 on woot today:

https://computers.woot.com/offers/dell- ... _dly_wobtn

I'd prefer a higher-res screen and larger SSD, but it's a pretty good value.