New Car Suggestions: BMW Crapping Out

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
BUBear29

New Car Suggestions: BMW Crapping Out

Post by BUBear29 » Fri May 11, 2018 12:21 am

Hi Bogles,

My 5 year old BMW x5 is starting to crap out (had several $1,500+ repairs in last few months). Going to trade her in and get a new/used car. Our other vehicle is a 2013 4Runner which we love.

We are looking for a comfortable SUV that would be a good highway driver for my commute (30 min each way) as I will make my wife deive the 4runner.

I am leaning toward the Highlander but also considering Mazda CX-5, CX-9 and Lexus NX. Honda is out of the question bc their suv’s are ugly.

Your thoughts are appreciated!
Thanks!
Last edited by BUBear29 on Fri May 11, 2018 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is no dignity quite so impressive, and no one independence quite so important, as living within your means.

Sasquatch

Re: New Car Suggestions: BMW Crapping Out

Post by Sasquatch » Fri May 11, 2018 12:56 am

Toyota/Lexus make a excellent product. I agree with you on the Highlander. Roomy, comfortable ride.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Fri May 11, 2018 2:09 am

Ouch! And only 5 years old?!?

My vote is for the NX. The QX5 would be a distant 2nd. If you need the 3rd row, then the QX9. I'd pick the Pilot or MDX over the Highlander. I'm no fan of the Highlander or MDX looks and think the Pilot is the best looking of the reliable reputation brands. Audi Q5 might be considered depending on how you feel about the reliability and how long you plan to own it.

Why not consider the longer 3 row RX?

The Subaru Ascent looks promising, but it's not arriving for a few months and initial demand will be high. It might be a year or more before you start seeing real discounts. Forester vs. Outback are often mentioned, but if you're looking for more power, the Outback 6 cylinder is probably the only one to consider (and I hope it comes to the Ascent).

strafe

Post by strafe » Fri May 11, 2018 5:58 am

Now that you have fixed the BMW, you could consider keeping it.

CX-9 gets the best ratings of the non luxury large SUVs.
The MDX would be a safe bet if you want something a little nicer.
Also consider the Tahoe / Yukon.

student

Post by student » Fri May 11, 2018 6:15 am

Given that you have just fixed your car, can you drive it for a few more months until the new models come in so that you can get a good price for the current models? On the other hand, given that you own a BMW and you are a boglehead, I assume that you can afford it. In this case, I would suggest the Lexus as it has very good reliability.

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Fri May 11, 2018 6:22 am

Audi Q5 and Volvo XC60 would be worth checking out. My wife picked the Q5 Premium Plus after looking at and driving a host* of SUVs about 8 months ago. We are both very pleased. Have only had one issue: it had a scratched windshield which the dealer replaced under warranty. The Volvo XC60 was her second choice (I have a 2012 XC60 which is a great vehicle - about 55k miles on it now) and the Lexus RX her third choice. If safety is an important consideration to you, check out "Informed for Life" - http://www.informedforlife.org/

* Lexus NX, RX. Honda CRV, Pilot. Toyota RAV4. Acura RDX, MDX. Volvo XC60. Subaru Forester, Outback. Ford Edge, Escape. Audi Q3, Q5.
Last edited by Fletch on Fri May 11, 2018 6:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
“Meaningless! Meaningless!” says the Teacher. Whoever loves money never has enough; whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with their income. This too is meaningless.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Fri May 11, 2018 6:24 am

Curious what repairs were completed. I know that BMW has the stupid electronic identification of the battery which should be illegal.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Fri May 11, 2018 6:36 am

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 6:24 am
Curious what repairs were completed. I know that BMW has the stupid electronic identification of the battery which should be illegal.
You can do this yourself with a <$100 part.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Fri May 11, 2018 6:37 am

BUBear29 wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 12:21 am
My 5 year old BMW x5 is starting to crap out (had several $1,500+ repairs in last few months).
Did you go to the dealership? If so, you were robbed blind.

mouses

Post by mouses » Fri May 11, 2018 6:41 am

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 6:24 am
What is that?

5 years? Gosh.

carguyny

Post by carguyny » Fri May 11, 2018 6:57 am

5 years is about what I would expect from a modern BMW - really just designed for a 3 year lease and then selling high margin parts for things that should have been done during the included maintenance period but are deliberately not.

If you don't need larger stay smaller. Volvo XC40 is a great package for the money with interior space of a larger car. No discounts but fairly priced with latest tech. Lexus NX is a boring drive but will last, CX5 is probably between the two but I didn't like the A pillar blindspots.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Fri May 11, 2018 7:21 am

I've never had a single $1,500 repair. Most of my cars are supposed to be awful according to consumer reports. Some were driven well past their lifetime design target. It could be that the owner and not the car is causing the high maintenance costs. Your service advisor works for the shop and is a salesman. Don't blindly follow his advice. Check, research, participate, and look for reasonable alternatives.

wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds » Fri May 11, 2018 7:33 am

Trading a BMW for an Audi and expecting better outcome at 5 years? Some of you really think so?

BUBear29

Post by BUBear29 » Fri May 11, 2018 7:57 am

runner3081 wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 6:37 am
BUBear29 wrote:
My 5 year old BMW x5 is starting to crap out (had several $1,500+ repairs in last few months).
I’m a boglehead. I go to an independent 3rd party mechanic! :)
There is no dignity quite so impressive, and no one independence quite so important, as living within your means.

genefl

Post by genefl » Fri May 11, 2018 7:59 am

We had a Highlander for 8 years. Oil changes and new tires were the only maintenance it needed.

We currently have a CX9 going on 8 years. Also fairly reliable, but maybe less than the Highlander. Little things like window controls went out on both front doors. Youtube and I replaced those fairly cheaply and easily. The rear gate auto close sensor is now faulty but we just close it manually.

LarryAllen

Post by LarryAllen » Fri May 11, 2018 8:09 am

BUBear29 wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 7:57 am
runner3081 wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 6:37 am
BUBear29 wrote:
I’m a boglehead. I go to an independent 3rd party mechanic! :)
Maybe the indy robbed you blind!?

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Fri May 11, 2018 8:18 am

wrongfunds wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 7:33 am
Trading a BMW for an Audi and expecting better outcome at 5 years? Some of you really think so?
Considering Audi was Consumer Reports top-ranked brand last year, 2nd behind Genesis this year, and is the only full-line manufacturer for which EVERY SINGLE MODEL is recommended by CR? Yup.

Given that you're considering the CX-5 and NX, I'm guessing you don't actually need a 3rd row. In the 2-row midsize segment, the best choices are the Audi Q5, Lexus RX, Jeep Grand Cherokee (but middling reliability), Ford Edge/Lincoln MKX, and Mazda CX-5. Volvo XC60 is also very nice, but given the positively abysmal reliability of the larger XC90, I'm not sure how it'll hold up.

In my opinion, the NX feels too cheap to wear a Lexus badge and I'd look at the Rav4 it's based off of instead. Highlander also has some nice features not found on its stablemate RX (2nd row climate controls, I'm looking at you!), but is quite a bit bigger. The 3-row RXL is simply a cash-grab. You pay $4500 for an extra 4" of body length (same wheelbase) and an utterly useless 3rd row that makes the 2nd row useless as well when you try. But at least the 3rd row gets its own climate control--while the 2nd row STILL gets left out.

KT785

Post by KT785 » Fri May 11, 2018 8:19 am

As a member of the Subaru cult, I'm obligated to raise the idea of an Outback or Forrester . . . . or the new Ascent if you want three rows.

Barring a Subaru :D . . . . I'd likely go with the Highlander or the CX-9 (though I question the reliability of the CX-9 engine) as I strongly considered both before buying my 2017 Outback. I realized I didn't need the third row and ultimately liked the utility and safety features (Eyesight) of the Subaru vs. the alternatives.

Cyclesafe

Post by Cyclesafe » Fri May 11, 2018 8:24 am

2000 RX300 still looks like new - only oil changes and one new set of tires in 80k miles. For reliability, buy Japanese; for fun, buy German.

DW doesn't care about fun, so happily drives the Lexus. In 2015, I dumped my 14 YO deteriorating BMW and bought a Porsche Macan Turbo.

Best of both worlds.

ssquared87

Post by ssquared87 » Fri May 11, 2018 8:25 am

carguyny wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 6:57 am
5 years is about what I would expect from a modern BMW - really just designed for a 3 year lease and then selling high margin parts for things that should have been done during the included maintenance period but are deliberately not.

If you don't need larger stay smaller. Volvo XC40 is a great package for the money with interior space of a larger car. No discounts but fairly priced with latest tech. Lexus NX is a boring drive but will last, CX5 is probably between the two but I didn't like the A pillar blindspots.
You do realize that BMW is ranked 4th on consumer reports long term reliability rating and Volvo is close to last right?

Modern BMWs are actually extremely reliable as long as you stay away from their awful N63 v8 and the older N54 in-line 6 which they stopped making several years ago. The X5 has also been a continued trouble spot for the brand for some reason but the other models do well.

Agreed on the CX-5 though it’s a great car

ssquared87

Post by ssquared87 » Fri May 11, 2018 8:28 am

If you are using the car to commute, why do you need such a big car? You already have the 4Runner, seems like another SUV would be a waste of money and gas. A Mazda 6 or Honda Accord look better than most SUVs, drive better, are cheaper and get way better mileage.

New accord is 30mpg city 38 highway. Seems like a perfect commuter. The interior is great too. I currently have a 2017 BMW 5 and the new accords interior is almost as nice.

ascension

Post by ascension » Fri May 11, 2018 8:36 am

If you are cool with a sedan, the new Lexus ES looks sick!!!

BUBear29

Post by BUBear29 » Fri May 11, 2018 9:26 am

strafe wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 5:58 am
Now that you have fixed the BMW, you could consider keeping it.

CX-9 gets the best ratings of the non luxury large SUVs.
The MDX would be a safe bet if you want something a little nicer.
Also consider the Tahoe / Yukon.
Unfortunately it is in the shop again getting evaluated. Will determine how much cost of repair is and decide if I am going to trade in.

Thanks everyone for the responses! I am not familiar with Honda/Acura products and don’t know about reliability in those. I am heavy leaning Highlander due to my experience with Toyota products.

Since this is my commuter vehicle, would prefer a non-luxury brand due to mileage accumulation. Planning to use this as family highway vehicle also since 4runner is not a smooth highway driver. Also Ive never had a sedan so that is why I am not considering those as an option.

Raymond

Post by Raymond » Fri May 11, 2018 9:39 am

Since you have had good experiences with Toyota vehicles, and don't want another 4Runner:

- Highlander (as you have already mentioned).
- If you would consider a sedan, perhaps the Avalon or the Camry.
"Ritter, Tod und Teufel"

Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 » Fri May 11, 2018 9:46 am

I see you're in Texas. Do you really need AWD and an SUV? I might consider a large sedan like an Avalon or even a Camry. Otherwise Highlanders are excellent. I also would consider a Subaru Outback.

Murgatroyd

Post by Murgatroyd » Fri May 11, 2018 10:11 am

A caution for you on a Highlander. I went from an Infiniti FX to a FWD Highlander. Torque steer is horrible. And the amount of cheap plastic everywhere is rattling to where I can’t find and fix them all. I have little pieces of cardboard stuck in crevices all over the place. I get it that people love their Toyota’s but if you’re used to a premium vehicle you may wind up like me.

Hogan773

Post by Hogan773 » Fri May 11, 2018 10:13 am

ssquared87 wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 8:28 am
If you are using the car to commute, why do you need such a big car? You already have the 4Runner, seems like another SUV would be a waste of money and gas. A Mazda 6 or Honda Accord look better than most SUVs, drive better, are cheaper and get way better mileage.

New accord is 30mpg city 38 highway. Seems like a perfect commuter. The interior is great too. I currently have a 2017 BMW 5 and the new accords interior is almost as nice.
+1

We owned a BMW 325xi for too long (12 years). Always loved the way the car looked and drove. Didn't love all the little hobbies that she gave me. Lots of stuff that needs replacing and fixing especially in years 6-12. That awesome smooth inline 6 engine really found lots of creative ways to leak little bits of oil and fluids. The cooling system exploded while my wife was driving home, requiring a tow. Doors leaked water into the rear footwells every time there was a heavy rain. I could fix that for about 6 months at a time by opening the door panels and tacking the foam vapor barriers back in place, but they would ultimately open up again over time.

The car also got a bit snug when we needed to drive with our 3 kids

Finally had enough of the repair costs (both DIY weekend projects as well as real money paid to my indy mechanic). Got a Honda Accord v6 - very nice interior, good speed and accel, lower price, space equivalent to a 5 series BMW not a 3 series.

Frank Grimes

Post by Frank Grimes » Fri May 11, 2018 10:21 am

Here to put in another plug for the Mazda CX-5. We have a 2017 model as our primary commute car and we're enjoying it so far. It has a high end feel and nice amenities for the price, which for us was below $30k. Looks pretty sharp as well, which doesn't hurt.

stockpickerted

Post by stockpickerted » Fri May 11, 2018 10:42 am

BMW repairs costly, lease or buy CPO(1-2 years old max.) to solve that problem.
Last edited by stockpickerted on Fri May 11, 2018 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

H-Town

Post by H-Town » Fri May 11, 2018 10:42 am

BUBear29 wrote:
Hi Bogles,

My 5 year old BMW x5 is starting to crap out (had several $1,500+ repairs in last few months). Going to trade her in and get a new/used car. Our other vehicle is a 2013 4Runner which we love.

We are looking for a comfortable SUV that would be a good highway driver for my commute (30 min each way) as I will make my wife deive the 4runner.

I am leaning toward the Highlander but also considering Mazda CX-5, CX-9 and Lexus NX. Honda is out of the question bc their suv’s are ugly as shit.

Your thoughts are appreciated!
Thanks!
Comfortable SUV? Just one criteria? Alright.. then check those out: Porsche Cayenne, Escalade, Audit Q7, or another BMW X5.

BUBear29

Post by BUBear29 » Fri May 11, 2018 10:48 am

Alexa9 wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 9:46 am
I see you're in Texas. Do you really need AWD and an SUV? I might consider a large sedan like an Avalon or even a Camry. Otherwise Highlanders are excellent. I also would consider a Subaru Outback.
We have a home in Breckenridge, CO and travel there several times a year so would prefer AWD. Subarus have a certain reputation that my wife can’t get over, so those are out the equation unfortunately

My wife wants an RX, so that is in the running here. We have ruled out a sedan. We are SUV folks.

So based on feedback, these are my test drives: highlander, RX, MDX, CX-5, CX-9, Edge
Last edited by BUBear29 on Fri May 11, 2018 11:00 am, edited 3 times in total.

Travel1013

Post by Travel1013 » Fri May 11, 2018 10:54 am

Highlander has highest rated SUV reliability (CR). Have owned four (2>200K) and have only had to purchase consumables.
PS 'Ask' wife to drive 4 Runner - but good luck after she drives the Highlander... :happy

BUBear29

Post by BUBear29 » Fri May 11, 2018 6:24 pm

Advice needed:
Just heard from the shop. Current repair is $1,800 to replace AGR cooler. I had an $1,800 repair last month as well (glow plugs).

Would you pony up for the repair even though thats $3,600 in 2 months or go ahead and trade in and go to Toyota Highlander/Lexus RX.

Its a 2012 BMW X5 35D with 72k miles on it. These are my only two major repairs *so far*. Im afraid I’ve hit the old BMW snowball effect.

matjen

Post by matjen » Fri May 11, 2018 6:40 pm

BUBear29 wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 6:24 pm
Advice needed:
Just heard from the shop. Current repair is $1,800 to replace AGR cooler. I had an $1,800 repair last month as well (glow plugs).

Would you pony up for the repair even though thats $3,600 in 2 months or go ahead and trade in and go to Toyota Highlander/Lexus RX.

Its a 2012 BMW X5 35D with 72k miles on it. These are my only two major repairs *so far*. Im afraid I’ve hit the old BMW snowball effect.
I think it depends on how long you keep cars. A high end diesel like that can go 250K miles easy. You will go through a period around now when you are hit with repairs and then it will stabilize for 40-50k miles. BUT you need to want to keep the car for several more years. I would keep it unless you plan on buying a new car in two years anyway.
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.

BUBear29

Post by BUBear29 » Fri May 11, 2018 6:48 pm

matjen wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 6:40 pm
BUBear29 wrote:
Advice needed:

I think it depends on how long you keep cars. A high end diesel like that can go 250K miles easy. You will go through a period around now when you are hit with repairs and then it will stabilize for 40-50k miles. BUT you need to want to keep the car for several more years. I would keep it unless you plan on buying a new car in two years anyway.
Thanks! I love the car and would love to keep it long term. Just a little discouraged now with these costs and afraid of the unknown.
I am definitely a long term car holder though

sabhen

Post by sabhen » Fri May 11, 2018 6:51 pm

My 5-year second hand Ford Fusion has worked great for me so far. I hope it will last another 5 years. I am not the type of person to spend $$$ on a car even though I can afford it. A car is the worst asset to own.

dknightd

Post by dknightd » Fri May 11, 2018 6:59 pm

You might consider the jaguar f-pace s. My mom and dad just bought one. Dad has a knack for picking cars.

You do realize part of the function of a dealer repair shop is to guide you to buy a new car. Right?
I have a Toyota, and a BMW. They are both great cars/trucks. Stealers are the problem. Either do it your self of find a good indi mechanic

matjen

Post by matjen » Fri May 11, 2018 7:06 pm

BUBear29 wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 6:48 pm
Thanks! I love the car and would love to keep it long term. Just a little discouraged now with these costs and afraid of the unknown.
I am definitely a long term car holder though
Well that is your answer then. Ignore the BMW/European haters. That is a fine car and if you love it then invest money during this period BUT make sure you find a reputable independent shop who can help you maintain it reasonably. It will never be as cheap to maintain as a Toyota but it will be cheaper than buying a new Japanese car and taking the depreciation hit and then maintaining that car at a lower spend level.
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Fri May 11, 2018 7:08 pm

Sasquatch wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 12:56 am
Toyota/Lexus make a excellent product. I agree with you on the Highlander. Roomy, comfortable ride.
I am on my 3rd Toyota. They work well. You might enjoy.

dknightd

Post by dknightd » Fri May 11, 2018 7:21 pm

My experience with BMW and Toyota.
Toyota hold the resale value much better than BMW.
This makes a BMW a good car to buy used, and a Toyota a good car to buy new.
The biggest difference I've seen between the vehicles (besides the way they drive) is that Toyota uses plastic that lasts a long time.
BMW seems to use plastic that falls apart after the warentee expires.
In my very very limited experience BMW makes a very good car.
You should plan to replace all plastic/rubber pieces every 5-10 years. Which costs money. But you only have to do it every 5-10 years. A 5-10 year old BMW is cheap because the original buyer was not willing to maintain their car. Most of them would rather buy a new car.

If you sell a 5 year old BMW you will take a big deprecation hit, Good for the next owner ;)
Last edited by dknightd on Fri May 11, 2018 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Fri May 11, 2018 7:53 pm

BUBear29 wrote:
Advice needed:

Aren't glow plugs a maintenance item that you expect to replace every 75-100k or so? Granted I think your price is about 3x what I would expected for that but that might just be the BMW surtax:)

Helo80

Post by Helo80 » Fri May 11, 2018 7:59 pm

BUBear29 wrote:
Hi Bogles,

I am leaning toward the Highlander but also considering Mazda CX-5, CX-9 and Lexus NX. Honda is out of the question bc their suv’s are ugly.

Highlander or RX will be your best bet. Under the hood, their is nothing terribly different between the two unless you get the Lexus RX sport. Interior wise, the Lexus will win out... though some people don't like the bass fish look.

Mazda builds a decent product, but if you're already leaning towards Toyota, I'd say let your 4runner ownership experience give you a guide on how highlander and RX will hold up.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Fri May 11, 2018 9:30 pm

BUBear29 wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 10:48 am
My wife wants an RX, so that is in the running here. We have ruled out a sedan. We are SUV folks.

So based on feedback, these are my test drives: highlander, RX, MDX, CX-5, CX-9, Edge
You might as well shorten the list to RX (> hilander, MDX), CX-9 (> CX-5) and Edge (haven't seen one recently).

I'm guessing the RX is the frontrunner by a long distance and the main decision is whether you want to fork over an extra $5k for the RXL to gain a few inches of length, and a tiny back seat that occupies much usable space that you'll only occasionally use. For similar reasons, we considered the RDX > MDX, but eventually wound up with the RX. I'm glad the RXL wasn't available when we made the decision.
Fold the RXL’s third-row seats down—give it a second—and you’ll actually have less space than you would behind the regular RX 350’s second-row seats when measured from the floor to the tonneau cover: 18.6 cubic feet in the RX 350 to the RX 350L’s 15.3 cubic feet in the same metric (those seats may fold away, but they don’t disappear, after all).
https://youtu.be/VO6XEQIsCoM?t=746

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/lexus/rx ... st-review/

Ztx

Post by Ztx » Fri May 11, 2018 10:05 pm

Helo80 wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 7:59 pm
BUBear29 wrote:
Hi Bogles,

Highlander or RX will be your best bet. Under the hood, their is nothing terribly different between the two unless you get the Lexus RX sport. Interior wise, the Lexus will win out... though some people don't like the bass fish look.

Mazda builds a decent product, but if you're already leaning towards Toyota, I'd say let your 4runner ownership experience give you a guide on how highlander and RX will hold up.
Got the new RX and love everything except one thing - cargo space. If that's important you might want to look at Highlander. I test drove both and RX does win out in terms of design and interior quality , but highlander is bigger.

wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds » Sat May 12, 2018 10:09 am

Previously stated
I had several $1,500+ repairs in last few months
BUBear29 wrote:
Advice needed:

One of the sentence has to be incorrect.

rgs92

Post by rgs92 » Sat May 12, 2018 10:14 am

I took a long thorough test drive of the Lexus NX300 and really liked it. It felt like a very well handling nimble/quick/stable/well-powered car and was really quiet. Comfort and seats were fine too. It was one of those cars where nothing stood out as annoying or negative, which says a lot. If I wanted a car of this type. (If I wanted a mid-sized SUV, it would be a prime choice).

I could barely tell that I was not driving a higher-end sedan; it did not drive SUV-like at all. I would call it a decent bargain at its price.

Ha ha, I know the feeling of all those out-of-the-blue $1K-$2K repairs on my former Benzes with less than 50,000 miles on them. Nice cars, but why do their parts start to fail so often? Is this the 1970s?

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sat May 12, 2018 11:12 am

Toyota HIghlander.
Good for 300k miles if cared for properly and driven well.

topper1296

Post by topper1296 » Sat May 12, 2018 11:36 am

If you want to stay upscale with better long term maint costs, I'd avoid the German brands and try out Lexus or Acura. I drove an Acura for 10 years and never had any major issues with it other than not enough head room since I'm 6'4. :P

dbr

Post by dbr » Sat May 12, 2018 12:16 pm

Sandtrap wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 11:12 am
Toyota HIghlander.
If you drive a lot of miles per year. I average around 6k a year so are you suggesting I should expect the thing to still be car anyone would want to drive fifty years from now? But, I get your point. Still these high mileage experiences assume a lot of driving. In 20 years that is still 15k a year. I feel bad for anyone that has to spend more miles than that in a car unless for some reason they really want to do it.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sat May 12, 2018 4:57 pm

dbr wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 12:16 pm
Sandtrap wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 11:12 am
Toyota HIghlander.
If you drive a lot of miles per year. I average around 6k a year so are you suggesting I should expect the thing to still be car anyone would want to drive fifty years from now? But, I get your point. Still these high mileage experiences assume a lot of driving. In 20 years that is still 15k a year. I feel bad for anyone that has to spend more miles than that in a car unless for some reason they really want to do it.
Very true. I've met quite a few in the Southwest that have driven their Toyota Tundra work trucks many 100k/s miles without failure. But they do it for a living.
Amazingly, I also have several close "frugal" friends in Hawaii who have several 100k/miles on their Toyotas without failure or expensive repairs. The cars are spotless. Old. Dated. And very high mileage.
There are some folks who literally own and drive a car until it is absolutely used up.
j