New Car Suggestions: BMW Crapping Out

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
cromwell

Re: New Car Suggestions: BMW Crapping Out

Post by cromwell » Sat May 12, 2018 6:36 pm

I went from a black hole money pit BMW X5 to a Kia Sorrento sxl, awd, 4cyl turbo and am very pleased. It burns regular gas,handles well ,very comfortable and has all the safety and convenience features.Worth checking out. :happy

tamudude

Post by tamudude » Sun May 13, 2018 3:29 am

BUBear29 wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 12:21 am
Hi Bogles,

My 5 year old BMW x5 is starting to crap out (had several $1,500+ repairs in last few months). Going to trade her in and get a new/used car. Our other vehicle is a 2013 4Runner which we love.

We are looking for a comfortable SUV that would be a good highway driver for my commute (30 min each way) as I will make my wife deive the 4runner.

I am leaning toward the Highlander but also considering Mazda CX-5, CX-9 and Lexus NX. Honda is out of the question bc their suv’s are ugly.

Your thoughts are appreciated!
Thanks!
I would recommend that you atleast test drive the Ford Edge and the Ford Explorer. You can make your own choice after that :)

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Sun May 13, 2018 1:26 pm

BUBear29 wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 6:24 pm
Advice needed:
Just heard from the shop. Current repair is $1,800 to replace AGR cooler. I had an $1,800 repair last month as well (glow plugs).

Would you pony up for the repair even though thats $3,600 in 2 months or go ahead and trade in and go to Toyota Highlander/Lexus RX.

Its a 2012 BMW X5 35D with 72k miles on it. These are my only two major repairs *so far*. Im afraid I’ve hit the old BMW snowball effect.
Ahh, you didn't say it was the diesel. Block off the EGR, and get it coded out. Literally half the problems you will have are now gone. I have the same engine in my 3-series. 98% of the problems with these models are related to the emissions system. Take them out and you have a car that will run 500k miles trouble-free.

Malinois000

Post by Malinois000 » Sun May 13, 2018 1:46 pm

We have a 2008 BMW X5 that has 120k miles. We tend to pay approx $3000 annually with maintenance...there is always something. I purchase cars very infrequently and pay cash when I buy them. I always tell myself writing a $3,000 check is better than writing one for $50k. I plan to consider a replacement when it hits 150k miles or so.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Sun May 13, 2018 5:11 pm

Helo80 wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 7:59 pm
Highlander or RX will be your best bet. Under the hood, their is nothing terribly different between the two unless you get the Lexus RX sport.
The F-sport version of the RX has the same ancient 2GR-FE engine that has been in every RX since 2003. The F-sport package buys you a slightly stiffer suspension and a marginally less-ugly grille.

Rick Rock

Post by Rick Rock » Mon May 14, 2018 12:29 am

If you're looking for a "comfortable" SUV.... my XC60 is crazy comfortable. Almost better than our couch. Drove Audi, BMW, Honda, Lexus, Nissan, Toyota SUVs and nothing came anywhere close to the front seat comfort in the XC60. And it's held up.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Mon May 14, 2018 12:54 am

lazydavid wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 1:26 pm

Ahh, you didn't say it was the diesel. Block off the EGR, and get it coded out. Literally half the problems you will have are now gone. I have the same engine in my 3-series. 98% of the problems with these models are related to the emissions system. Take them out and you have a car that will run 500k miles trouble-free.
Blocking the EGR system will increase NOx emissions.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Mon May 14, 2018 5:01 am

whodidntante wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 12:54 am
Blocking the EGR system will increase NOx emissions.
True, by a very slight amount. But it will also improve fuel economy, eliminate carbon buildup in the intake and cylinders (which requires a $1300 cleaning every 50k miles thanks to EGR), and improve the efficiency of the particulate filter--NOx oxidizes the soot, reducing the frequency with which the filter has to be regenerated by dumping a bunch of fuel into it and burning it, thereby increasing fuel economy yet again.

Tiny downside, huge upside.

SDLinguist

Post by SDLinguist » Mon May 14, 2018 10:12 am

I would find a better Indy.

Doing a quick search on the two big BMW forums and Google, replacing the glow plugs should have been around $500. The plugs themselves are ~$25 each and the BMW book says 1.5 hours to replace all 6. And if you live in a climate where the plugs get used regularly then replacing them on any diesel car should be factored into normal maintenance.

Even if you double the time estimate you payed $550/hr shop time!

BMW has by far the biggest most active online community of the 3 second level German brands (MB, Audi, BMW), use it to your advantage. Those people on the car forums are car people, the way bogleheads live and breath investment they live and breath cars.

Owning a BMW is way less expensive than collective "wisdom" would tell you. Sure it is more expensive than driving a Corolla into the ground but not THAT expensive. You just need to do the research just like for everything in life.

Steady59

Post by Steady59 » Mon May 14, 2018 12:55 pm

The German cars, in general, just cost more to run. The newer BMWs (and other new cars, too) are chock full of sensors which, annoyingly, just go bad. We got rid of my wife's X5 8 years ago when the tranny started to go (at 40K miles no less) and got an Audi Q5 which has been great and I think, better than the X5. I just had the plugs replaced on the Q5 and they were $16 each and cost $150 to put in (dealer price). As a comparison, the plugs in my car ('75 BMW 2002) cost a buck and take me about 3 minutes to put in. Certainly not a fair comparison, but the newer cars cost a bunch more to run once out of warranty especially when the big stuff goes bad. The quality is just not (consistently) there anymore.

That all said, if you want reliability and longevity at a reasonable price, go Asian.

ArmchairArchitect

Post by ArmchairArchitect » Tue May 15, 2018 11:04 am

Avoid the German brands. Besides the reliability issues, they intentionally overengineer and intentionally design their cars to be hard to service (to make money for dealerships and via parts), such as by hard to access components, specialty tools required, etc. Which is a slap in the face after you've spent extra for their car in the first place.

Best overall reliability these days is Ford, Mazda, Honda, and Toyota.

peterinjapan

Post by peterinjapan » Tue May 15, 2018 12:28 pm

Look at Mazda. I've owned four Miatas, a MPV, a "Bongo Friendee" (this cool van with a roof that opens up into a sleeping area, sold only in Japan and the UK), and our current CX-5. Have loved everyone. Get DIesel if you're in a Diesel-friendly country.