Picking up New Subaru-Worth buying extended warranty?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Buster65

Picking up New Subaru-Worth buying extended warranty?

Post by Buster65 » Thu May 10, 2018 9:07 pm

The dealer offered me an extended warranty, tire warranty, key warranty, a ceramic coating option and glass protection. All of this adds up and I've never been a big fan of extended warranties. The guy at the dealer said that everything is so computerized with this car that I should consider it. I get the sense this is where the dealer makes $$. What do other Boggleheads do in this situation?

eye.surgeon

Re: Picking up New Subaru-Worth buying extended warranty?

Post by eye.surgeon » Thu May 10, 2018 9:18 pm

What, no undercoating?

Just say no.
"I would rather be certain of a good return than hopeful of a great one" | Warren Buffett

bubbadog

Post by bubbadog » Thu May 10, 2018 9:20 pm

Buster65 wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 9:07 pm
The dealer offered me an extended warranty, tire warranty, key warranty, a ceramic coating option and glass protection. All of this adds up and I've never been a big fan of extended warranties. The guy at the dealer said that everything is so computerized with this car that I should consider it. I get the sense this is where the dealer makes $$. What do other Boggleheads do in this situation?
Nope, Nope, Nope!

CedarWaxWing

Post by CedarWaxWing » Thu May 10, 2018 9:22 pm

Eventually they will sell only a warranty ... without the car.

Much more profit margin that way.

anil686

Post by anil686 » Thu May 10, 2018 9:29 pm

You can often find factory extended service plans (I think that is the term for warranties) much cheaper at certain dealers who do high volume sales of them. They can be purchased separately from the car - often you can find pricing information on the Edmunds.com forums under your make/model as well as where to buy them. I have never lost money per se on these - maybe a local mechanic may have been cheaper to fix but I had peace of mind since I tend to keep my cars a long time. I may have also had bad luck too...

Hope that helps...

RudyS

Post by RudyS » Thu May 10, 2018 9:35 pm

Do not buy the warranty NOW, if at all. Wait till Subaru warranty is about to run out. Then evaluate. But if you do buy then, get what's called an exclusion policy which covers everything except for excluded items (wear parts like brakes) and not one that lists only certain parts. And if you do think it's worth it then, check dealers and not just something that shows up in the mailbox. The prices are negotiable too.

gliderpilot567

Post by gliderpilot567 » Thu May 10, 2018 9:37 pm

How long is the manufacturer's standard warranty? That should usually be enough.

Of note: Most if not all car companies make more money through their respective "Motor Acceptance Corporations" (financing/car loans) than they do on the profit from the actual sales of cars. The more extra bonus warranties and undercoatings and other nonsense can be rolled into each car loan, the more this is amplified.

If you are financing the car, consider how much you will save each month by not purchasing those extras. If you are paying cash, consider how much that money can go to work for you by not buying the extras. And if you are concerned about reliability, you can set that money aside into a maintenance fund. But if you are really that concerned about reliability, maybe you shouldn't buy that particular car? I think Subarus tend to be pretty reliable, though I have never owned one so I can't be sure.

I generally do not buy the extended warranty on anything. Not cars, not home appliances, not electronics, nada. That money is more useful in my investment accounts.

It is an expected value problem. What are the chances that I will have a problem needing repair on one of the many products that I own? Pretty good. What are the chances that I will have a problem needing repair on ALL of the products that I own? Pretty much zero. So I choose to keep the extended warranty money for myself, and IF something has a problem then I pay for it.

Northern Flicker

Post by Northern Flicker » Thu May 10, 2018 10:26 pm

Buster65 wrote:
No to all. If the extensive computerization has not been implemented to be reliable, then you want nothing to do with the car at all.

As an example of the scams here, undercoating is just an inexpensive polyurethane spray that comes in a spray can. They jack up the car and spray it underneath. It doesn’t do much to start with, and it will all have worn off in 3-6 months. You pay $800 for $10 worth of spray, 15 minutes of labor, and use of their car lift.

Some of the extended warranties refund the full value if you don’t use it. This means you will only use it in the unlikely event of needing an engine or transmission overhaul/replacement, and the normal case is just giving the dealer an interest free loan.
Last edited by Northern Flicker on Thu May 10, 2018 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Index fund investor since 1987.

Watty

Post by Watty » Thu May 10, 2018 10:43 pm

Buster65 wrote:
What do other Boggleheads do in this situation?
Two things;

1) I buy cars with a good history of reliability. With the way good cars are made now there is a very good chance that they will go 100K miles(or a lot more) before any significant non-routine maintenance is needed.

2) I actually read and understand the warranty that comes with a new car. Most of them come with a five year 60k mile powertrain warranty which will cover many of the possible big repairs so buying something like a seven year extended warranty really does not get you that much extra coverage. Some emission components may be covered for 8 years and 80K miles.

CULater

Post by CULater » Thu May 10, 2018 10:44 pm

It's worth to the seller. Good insurance is defined as paying for the pooled risk of low probability events that are very costly if they happen to occur and aren't covered by your own auto insurance policy or another party's liability insurance. Extended warranties don't really do that, and/or you are paying way too much to cover those low-probability catastrophic events. Buying one virtually amounts to prepaying the cost of repairs that are more likely to occur. Just put the money in an interest-paying account and call it "Extended Warranty Funds". Use that to pay for out-of-warranty stuff and if it doesn't happen you've got your next trip with the kids to DisneyLand covered!
On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Sockpuppet

Post by Sockpuppet » Thu May 10, 2018 10:45 pm

Geico offers vehicle breakdown insurance that is very affordable and you can cancel at anytime. $200 deductible and it covers practically everything (other than wear and tear) to 100k miles. Best part is your not paying up front for a warranty on a car that might you might get rid of before you can use the warranty. Mine costs about $120 a year.

I drive the worst rated brand of car for reliability so in my eyes this made a lot of sense. For a Subaru your mileage might vary.

Glockenspiel

Post by Glockenspiel » Thu May 10, 2018 10:58 pm

Just say “NO” to all extended warranties, whether it’s a car, appliance, lawn mower, etc. I guarantee you will come out ahead compared to buying an extended warranty on everything.

joeblow

Post by joeblow » Thu May 10, 2018 11:46 pm

If you do, do not buy through your dealer. There is a dealer in the midwest that sells extended warranties for subaru at a steep discount. If you intend to buy one, send me a PM and I'll go dig out the name for you. Plus you do not have to buy it right now, you can always add it later.

I generally do not buy extended warranties, but we bought it for our subaru, that we bought used. It was relatively inexpensive through this dealer and provides plenty of piece of mind through ~100K miles.

FireSekr

Post by FireSekr » Fri May 11, 2018 12:03 am

Never

fourwheelcycle

Post by fourwheelcycle » Fri May 11, 2018 7:22 am

For all extended warranties of this type, the one thing you can be sure of is that it is priced to provide a very high profit margin to the car company. They know the true statistical likelihood that you will need the covered repairs, while you are only guessing. They are marketing to the subset of buyers who are very risk averse and can afford the extra cost.

I once attended a conference on contract negotiation. At the end of the conference they handed out a wallet card that said "You never know unless you ask". It is a good motto for buyers, but it also works for sellers. In the case of extended warranties, the seller is "just asking" to see if you are a buyer who is very risk averse and can afford the extra cost.

bberris

Post by bberris » Fri May 11, 2018 7:29 am

The selling of extended warranties requires excellent timing and skill. First you have to sell the customer on the reliability of the new car. Then you have to convince the mark that the car is not that reliable. That is why EW are sold in the finance room.

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Fri May 11, 2018 7:59 am

I believe the jury has spoken!! :happy

tcassette

Post by tcassette » Fri May 11, 2018 8:00 am

RudyS wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 9:35 pm
Do not buy the warranty NOW, if at all. Wait till Subaru warranty is about to run out. Then evaluate. But if you do buy then, get what's called an exclusion policy which covers everything except for excluded items (wear parts like brakes) and not one that lists only certain parts. And if you do think it's worth it then, check dealers and not just something that shows up in the mailbox. The prices are negotiable too.
+1 on this. The factory bumper to bumper warranty is 36 months/36000 miles, which covers non-wearable items, including electronics. The powertrain warranty is 5 years/60000 miles. Subaru is an overall reliable brand, and you have plenty of time to decide on an extended warranty.

FIBoston

Post by FIBoston » Fri May 11, 2018 8:07 am

They tried to sell me one when i bought my Subie. I kept saying no and the guy ended up offering me a price at 85% below the initial price he offered it at. That told me everything I needed to know about the value of the extended warranty.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Fri May 11, 2018 8:13 am

On a Subaru I'd say no (for now) and evaluate your car's reliability and your likelihood to keep it for many years as you get closer to the end of the manufacturer warranty. If it was a BMW or Mercedes my experience is that the manufacturer extended warranty has paid off, especially if you negotiate the cost of the extended warranty down at the time of purchase and keep the car well beyond 4 years. I would not buy one that was not the official extended warranty from the manufacturer. I would never buy one specific to a dealership.

These days it may not be the engine or suspension that fails but the gizmos and electronics so make sure the extended warranty covers the hundreds of sensors, motors, processors, displays, and buttons in a modern car if you do get one. Some of the low cost turbo technology may also still be immature and problematic but that should be covered by a longer power train warranty. Replacing the infotainment head unit can cost as much as a major engine repair.

mmmodem

Post by mmmodem » Fri May 11, 2018 8:19 am

Buster65 wrote:
The guy at the dealer said that everything is so computerized with this car that I should consider it.
I wonder what the dealer used to say before cars were computerized to sell extended warranties? I've been fed that line since the 90's.

Actually knowing a thing or two about computers, being computerized doesn't make the device any more or any less reliable than a mechanical device. A mechanical part badly designed or manufactured can fail just as easily as a badly designed computerized system.

Say no to extended warranties.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Fri May 11, 2018 8:22 am

Subaru's factory extended warranties are good and what they cover is transparent. But don't buy it with the car. Subaru will periodically send you mail to offer them again. You can buy from ANY dealer. I did research in the past and found that Mastria Subaru in MA has played in this market on a big scale and undercut everyone else on price. Email or call them and talk with Dave and he'll send you a price list. Note that you can only buy one of these while the car is within the bumper to bumper warranty.

If you're being offered an aftermarket warranty, expect it to have zero value when the company goes out of business. Of the 10 top aftermarket warranty companies in business 10 years ago, here's a list of those still in business:

That's it. Nobody.

And boy.....if my dealer pulled the waxed key, electric dog polisher, gas powered radial floor mats thing like yours did, I'd rip up the deal and go somewhere else.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Fri May 11, 2018 8:32 am

I like the new "everything is so computerized" FUD factor they use these days.
Not worth it in my opinion. With the last Subaru I bought I was FLOORED by how much they wanted for an extended warranty. "Don't you want to protect your vehicle" the dealer asked when I said no - my response: "If the vehicle is that fowl that it needs this I wouldn't be buying it, is it? Plus this doesn't protect the vehicle - it just has me paying a lot up front that may or may not prevent me from having to pay later if something goes wrong - please don't ask me again or I'll head across the street to Honda". We moved on.

There is a reason why they don't present you with the extended warranty until the very end of all the other decisions you had to make when you are in the room with the Bus-Dev/Finance guy. They are hoping you are so warn out with having chosen color, model, trim-level, etc. that you are in a state of "Decision Fatigue" by the time they ask you this question so that you are more easily plied into saying yes. If you aren't familiar with Decision Fatigue it refers to the deteriorating quality of decisions made by someone after a long session of decision making.

FCM

Post by FCM » Sat May 12, 2018 7:09 am

My wife and I bought a new Subaru 2014 Outback four years ago. We have 14K miles on it now and haven't had a single problem with it. We didn't buy an extended warranty, knowing that we wouldn't be driving it that much since we are both retired and just use our cars primarily for local errands, etc.

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Sat May 12, 2018 7:19 am

bberris wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 7:29 am
The selling of extended warranties requires excellent timing and skill. First you have to sell the customer on the reliability of the new car. Then you have to convince the mark that the car is not that reliable. That is why EW are sold in the finance room.
Absolutely correct. Never buy an extended warranty with a new car purchase.

OEM Extended warranties for high end costly cars that you have reliability concerns about, can be researched and purchased much later (only requirement is before standard OEM warranty is done) direct from online dealers that sell the exact same warranty at a steep discount.

Cycle

Post by Cycle » Sat May 12, 2018 8:18 am

Self insure. Something goes wrong, pay for it, no big deal.
Never look back unless you are planning to go that way

midareff

Post by midareff » Sat May 12, 2018 8:23 am

Extended warranties are a profit center for the dealer and the sales person making the sale. On average, you will not recover the amount you paid. As another said... if it breaks, pay to fit it.

wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds » Sat May 12, 2018 8:33 am

Wait until now all those BH who bought Land Lovers (or insert your favorite car maker here) with the extended warranties to come out of woodwork to brag and tell us how they made money on their extended warranty purchase!

maroon

Post by maroon » Sat May 12, 2018 8:42 am

Hi OP - congratulations on your new Subaru! I'd skip the extended warranty.

My 9-year-old Subaru has 105K miles on it and is running strong. I've had two out-of-warranty repairs: at ~40K miles, a broken sunroof track (which was fixed for free); and at ~103K miles, replacement of control arm bushings.

dbr

Post by dbr » Sat May 12, 2018 9:00 am

The last time I didn't buy an extended warranty on a car it cost us over $5000 that could have been covered for a few hundred dollars. Note that does not mean you should buy an extended warranty. We don't. I don't have data on the cost of repairs to electronics glitches, so that needs analysis. I can tell you my new car did have an electronics glitch that was covered under new car warranty that would have cost thousands of dollars to repair (did cost the dealer and the brand thousands of dollars to repair). Electronics tend to follow bathtub reliability curves meaning things go wrong very early or not until the system is very old.

Topic Author
Buster65

Post by Buster65 » Sat May 12, 2018 4:23 pm

maroon wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 8:42 am
Hi OP - congratulations on your new Subaru! I'd skip the extended warranty.

My 9-year-old Subaru has 105K miles on it and is running strong. I've had two out-of-warranty repairs: at ~40K miles, a broken sunroof track (which was fixed for free); and at ~103K miles, replacement of control arm bushings.
Thanks. Agree with you!

Helo80

Post by Helo80 » Sat May 12, 2018 4:32 pm

maroon wrote:
and at ~103K miles, replacement of control arm bushings.

My best guess is that with or without an EW, bushings would be a wear and tear item... especially at 100k miles.

maroon

Post by maroon » Sat May 12, 2018 5:34 pm

Helo80 wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 4:32 pm
maroon wrote:
and at ~103K miles, replacement of control arm bushings.

My best guess is that with or without an EW, bushings would be a wear and tear item... especially at 100k miles.
Yes. An extended warranty would have been a waste of money.

orangeandwhite

Post by orangeandwhite » Sun May 13, 2018 3:38 pm

Buster65 wrote:
What do other Boggleheads do in this situation?
I am a bit more open to extended warranties than the others here.

The expected value argument is not as clear cut as some put it in my view, as the manufacturer can get better prices on parts and labor than you can. As a result it is possible for the warranty to be win-win.

Also, if by buying the warranty (even at a loss) you will end up behaviorally keeping the car for longer than you otherwise would (eg you keep it for seven years as opposed to four) that also helps you end up ahead on the overall deal. A lot of people end up freaking out around year four or five about minor repairs (search this site for many examples) and trade their cars in earlier than they’d planned. If you have a warranty then you probably won’t freak out.

Key thing, as noted by others, is to identify the online dealer that sells the warranty for your brand at cost, and get their price. You can usually get your selling dealer to match this price. If you pay the dealers first ask then you are getting absolutely creamed.

Agree on skipping the key fob insurance and tire insurance and the other nonsense.

Mbahnmil

Post by Mbahnmil » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:02 am

New to this forum so unable to PM. This is for “joeblow”. We just bought a Subaru Ascent Touring and we are interested in the Midwest dealer you mentioned who sells extended warranties at a reasonable price. Looking to get a quote.

dadu007

Post by dadu007 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:47 pm

We just bought an Ascent in May (Premium trim level). This is a no-haggle Subaru dealership. The sales person went through all the extended warranty options and walked away for a bit. He came back and we said no to all of them. THEN he offered another bumper-to-bumper extended option (8 years total) that wasn't on his printout; it was $2200 and seemed reasonable. (Probably still paid too much.)
I did manage to get the spring-loaded cargo cover thrown in at no charge afterwards ($199).
Since the Ascent is a new model, has a turbo, and quite a few electronic do-dads and sensors we went for it. (I was concerned about all this before we went in to the dealership.) These new cars are like computers on wheels.
BTW, we LOVE our new Ascent. :-)

boglebill

Post by boglebill » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:29 pm

I am the "fool" who always buys auto warranties!!! I shop them out online after purchase.

We have a 2013 Outback with 65k miles (+/-). Bought pre-owned 1 year old w/ less than 10k miles. Came with premium bumper to bumper warranty, 7yr 100k I believe... For free!

I'd have bought it anyways. I haven't lost money on a car warranty, and I sleep better.

At 55k-ish miles we had it in for an oil change and a headlight bulb. They up sold the 60k service a tad early but we did it.

A couple months later the car is intermittently making a knocking noise. They said we were crazy until we showed the video w/sound.

Car got a short block replacement ... Would have been almost $5k.... We paid $0.

crossbow

Post by crossbow » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:41 pm

Buster65 wrote:
High quality products are less likely to break down. Low quality products are more likely to break down and thus it would make sense to get a warranty. Do you consider your new Subaru to be a high or low quality car?

RobLyons

Post by RobLyons » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:27 am

(Echo) No.. (Echo)
"Great parenting sets the foundation for a better world"

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:37 am

boglebill wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:29 pm
I am the "fool" who always buys auto warranties!!! I shop them out online after purchase.

We have a 2013 Outback with 65k miles (+/-). Bought pre-owned 1 year old w/ less than 10k miles. Came with premium bumper to bumper warranty, 7yr 100k I believe... For free!

I'd have bought it anyways. I haven't lost money on a car warranty, and I sleep better.

At 55k-ish miles we had it in for an oil change and a headlight bulb. They up sold the 60k service a tad early but we did it.

A couple months later the car is intermittently making a knocking noise. They said we were crazy until we showed the video w/sound.

Car got a short block replacement ... Would have been almost $5k.... We paid $0.
Your warranty wasn't free. You bought a CPO car, which comes with the 7 year/100k mile, zero deductible warranty. I've bought a CPO Subaru from a very transparent dealer. He gave me the choice. If I wanted to forgo the warranty, they would take $1k off the price of the car.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

TexasPE

Post by TexasPE » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:31 am

From an earlier post
Re: Extended auto warranty - who to buy from, if you want to
Post by TexasPE » Wed May 29, 2019 8:33 am

It's always worthwhile to read the fine print before deciding something is worthwhile or a waste of money. And no, I don't usually buy extended warranties - this was my first.

Here's a link to the actual text of my Subaru manufacturer' Gold-Plus warranty

To me, the level of coverage, other benefits (free tow, loaner car, trip interruption, key service, [reducing the hassle-factor])... and the transferable nature of the policy (I always sell the car myself) made it personally worthwhile to me.

Cost was ~$1,200 as I recall for 7 years/ 100,000 miles with $100 deductible per incident. It is good at all Subaru dealers.

Yes, I could afford to pay for any/ all repairs out of pocket, but the reduction in hassle factor justified the warranty to me. YMMV
https://www.subaruforester.org/vbulleti ... post9.html
At 20: I cared what everyone thought about me | At 40: I didn't give a damn what anyone thought of me | Now that I'm 60: I realize that no one was really thinking about me at all | Winston Churchill (?)

FRANK2009

Post by FRANK2009 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:13 am

I bought the extended warranty on my Subaru for the reasons stated. Electronics and all that. Well as luck (or unluck?) would have it, a sensor in the airbag system failed, causing the airbag light on the dash to illuminate. This occurred shortly after the factory warranty ran out. I paid $2000 for the warranty. The repair was around $1700. I still have about 3 and a half years to go before the warranty runs out. I used to be in the "never buy a warranty" camp. Now I'm not so sure.

RootSki

Post by RootSki » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:22 am

FRANK2009 wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:13 am
I bought the extended warranty on my Subaru for the reasons stated. Electronics and all that. Well as luck (or unluck?) would have it, a sensor in the airbag system failed, causing the airbag light on the dash to illuminate. This occurred shortly after the factory warranty ran out. I paid $2000 for the warranty. The repair was around $1700. I still have about 3 and a half years to go before the warranty runs out. I used to be in the "never buy a warranty" camp. Now I'm not so sure.
I used to be in the never buy an extended warranty camp too, that was until I bought one for my new car. With ever increasing dependence on sensors, drive/brake by wire, multiple computers for everything the car monitors and controls, direct injection, and forced induction, maybe the “old school of thought” is in the midst of a crossroads. Some cars extended warranties might not make sense (Honda Fit), but there are some like this Subaru or my new Volvo, where there’s a high potential of at least breaking even, and you sleep better at night.

Isn’t good asset allocation all about being able sleep well at night?

oldfatguy

Post by oldfatguy » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:43 am

boglebill wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:29 pm

Just FYI - The powertrain warranty on 2013 Outbacks was extended to 8 years/100k miles as a result of a class action suit. Perhaps that only applies to the original owner, though?

The vehicles included are the 2.5-liter engines in the 2011-2014 Forester, 2013 Legacy and 2013 Outback and the 2.0-liter engines in the 2012-2013 Impreza and 2013 XV Crosstrek.

GT99

Post by GT99 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:31 am

Buster65 wrote:
The person trying to sell you something is the last person to take advice from on that thing.

And everything a dealer tries to sell you after you've agreed to price, etc, on the vehicle is in their best interest, not yours. There is nothing they ever sell at that point that it is in your best interest to buy. But they are trained really well to make it sound like it is.

Also, extended warranties are forms of insurance, and you should only insure what you can't afford to happen. If you can't afford to repair the car, you should be getting a less expensive vehicle.

TexasPE

Post by TexasPE » Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:49 am

and you should only insure what you can't afford to happen
Sorry, I must disagree. I could replace my home from savings - so I should drop my homeowner's policy? My auto insurance comprehensive/ collision?

IMHO a blanket statement ("always" or "never") is not usually THE right answer - everyone's situation and needs/ desires are different.
At 20: I cared what everyone thought about me | At 40: I didn't give a damn what anyone thought of me | Now that I'm 60: I realize that no one was really thinking about me at all | Winston Churchill (?)

dbr

Post by dbr » Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:55 am

My experience with extended warranties is having to replace an engine for $6000 that would have been covered if I had taken the warranty and having the warranty paid for by a single repair under the extended warranty on a four year old car. That first car is now going on 16 years old, so it was worth it anyway.

I have to say anecdotes are dubious as sources of advice, but my anecdotes say take the warranty.

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:46 pm

TexasPE wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:49 am
and you should only insure what you can't afford to happen
Sorry, I must disagree. I could replace my home from savings - so I should drop my homeowner's policy? My auto insurance comprehensive/ collision?

IMHO a blanket statement ("always" or "never") is not usually THE right answer - everyone's situation and needs/ desires are different.
I think you mistake what you can "afford" with what you can literally pay for.

You are also comparing apple to oranges. Insuring something against accidental destruction is completely different from insuring something against a repair. Different product, different contract, different consumer protections, different market, way different pricing.

JT

Learning!

Post by Learning! » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:27 pm

joeblow wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 11:46 pm
If you do, do not buy through your dealer. There is a dealer in the midwest that sells extended warranties for subaru at a steep discount. If you intend to buy one, send me a PM and I'll go dig out the name for you. Plus you do not have to buy it right now, you can always add it later.

I generally do not buy extended warranties, but we bought it for our subaru, that we bought used. It was relatively inexpensive through this dealer and provides plenty of piece of mind through ~100K miles.
Hello, I am evaluating if I need to get an extended warranty option for my brand new Subaru Touring model. At this point, i am not convinced and reading the chatter about it. Given all the electronics and sensors, the extended warranty is going into thousands. Hence exploring this further. Gone are the days when these costed a few hundred dollars for some peace of mind. I was wondering if the steep discount is still available from the dealer in midwest. The Subaru offers 2 plans that can be sold only by dealers - classic and Gold Plus. Also, how late can the warranty be bought? Thank you!

RudyS

Post by RudyS » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:07 pm

Check with dealer, but I was told I can wait ti;ll the original warranty is about to run out. In any case, make sure the warranty includes everything (except wear parts), and get it from the dealer.