Currently under father and mother auto policy

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
kareysue

Currently under father and mother auto policy

Post by kareysue »

Currently under father and mother auto policy. There are three vehicles in the household. If father is removed from the policy would the rate increase? Me being the daughter and 30 but father is 85 and mother is 53
CedarWaxWing

Re: Currently under father and mother auto policy

Post by CedarWaxWing »

Perhaps you should ask the insurance agent?

You are likely the lowest cost person in the family to insure, assuming that you have no tickets or accidents.
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

What is your concern? Normally going from three to two drivers would reduce the cost. Additionally, 85 year olds can have an increased cost to insure compared to a 30 and 53 year old. So, this would be a second possible reason for the insurance to go down.
Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider »

Is the father listed on the title/registration of any/all of these vehicles? It may not be possible to remove him from the policy unless that changes.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

All drivers have to be listed on the policy. For you to remove someone (legally), they'd have to move out of the house or surrender their drivers license.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
dm200

Post by dm200 »

Jack FFR1846 wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 12:17 pm All drivers have to be listed on the policy. For you to remove someone (legally), they'd have to move out of the house or surrender their drivers license.
That is my understanding as well..

If there will be only two drivers, though, do you need three vehicles in the household?
Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider »

Jack FFR1846 wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 12:17 pm All drivers have to be listed on the policy. For you to remove someone (legally), they'd have to move out of the house or surrender their drivers license.
Oh come on, legally??? In any state I have lived in, this is purely up to the insurance company.

That may be the default treatment of many insurance companies, but my insurance company removed my ex-MIL from our policy on request. I/we had to sign something that there was no coverage if we let her drive either car.
rob65

Post by rob65 »

OP, this is something where you really need to just check with your agent since it could vary by state and by insurance company.

Note that if your father is no longer driving, he can surrender his license and replace it with a state issued ID card for non-drivers.
jminv

Post by jminv »

The rate would more than likely decrease given that, absent other factors, your father would be judged to be the riskiest driver. Other factors would include you and your mother's driving histories relative to his.