Transferring data from old iphone to new

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
runner9

Transferring data from old iphone to new

Post by runner9 » Thu May 10, 2018 3:33 pm

My wife and I are planning to buy new iphone 8s this weekend at the Apple Store. Our current ones are 3 and 4 years old and have a lot of issues. We've tried new batteries, been to the Apple Store, etc. We use Cricket and bought the last ones outright for full price, we plan to do the same.

When we went last weekend they recommended paying 99 cents a month to back up to icloud, do that first with the old and then download all the data to the new phones. They also said they would transfer the SIM cards, and cricket's website says that transferring the SIM will transfer the number.

Does this sound correct and best? Am I missing anything? Thanks!

DaftInvestor

Re: Transferring data from old iphone to new

Post by DaftInvestor » Thu May 10, 2018 3:37 pm

You shouldn't have to pay the 99 cents.
When you sign up for iCloud, you automatically get 5GB of free storage - this is good for most folks. Unless you have a LOT of video - the free 5GB should be sufficient (you can turn it on - backup to icloud - and see if it runs out of space).

Here's the statement from Apple saying first 5GB is free - and the pricing for the higher storage (99 cents gives you 50GB):
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201238

pennywise

Post by pennywise » Thu May 10, 2018 3:40 pm

My wife and I are planning to buy new iphone 8s this weekend at the Apple Store. Our current ones are 3 and 4 years old and have a lot of issues. We've tried new batteries, been to the Apple Store, etc. We use Cricket and bought the last ones outright for full price, we plan to do the same.

When we went last weekend they recommended paying 99 cents a month to back up to icloud, do that first with the old and then download all the data to the new phones. They also said they would transfer the SIM cards, and cricket's website says that transferring the SIM will transfer the number.

I just did this a couple of weeks ago. I bought a new iPhone 8 and transferred everything from my iPhone 6s using exactly the procedure you were told. First the sales/support person upgraded to iCloud storage, then did a back up then transferred it all. Pretty easy and seamless procedure.

I didn't switch SIM cards because I am giving the 6 to my husband, so will delete everything he doesn't use or need, and he will have his own phone number. She transferred the original number to the 8

Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue » Thu May 10, 2018 3:41 pm

Being able to have your iPhone backed up at night over wifi while you sleep is a beautiful thing. Most things that aren't easy and automated don't get done. 99 cents a month is a small price to pay. It certainly makes wiping and restoring your phone easy if that is ever necessary and will make the switch to the new phone easy as pie.

Cheers

balofagus

Post by balofagus » Thu May 10, 2018 3:58 pm

runner9 wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 3:33 pm

You can backup your existing device to iTunes on your computer, and then restore the new device from that backup. This support article has further details:

https://support.apple.com/HT201269

AntsOnTheMarch

Post by AntsOnTheMarch » Thu May 10, 2018 4:16 pm

I’ve used my iCloud backups (wife and myself) exclusively for backup and data transfer to new devices for many years. It’s the easiest way to go (as opposed to backing up devices to computer via iTunes).

If you need the extra space pay the 99¢ ($1.00 with tax). There’s a great family deal if you’re backing up more than one device. I think it’s 2.99 but check out the details. You can cancel or downgrade your iCloud plan at any time so you can use a temporary upgrade if you intend to only use the extra space for this one transfer of data but I recommend to just keep it and keep backing up automatically instead of messing around with alternative back up plan to save a buck (literally).

runner9

Post by runner9 » Sun May 13, 2018 9:11 am

We went to Apple yesterday intending for them to help us back up our phones, the buy new and download. Yeah, the wait time to download was was to long (over an hour). We can home and tried again but with our slow internet that didn't work.

I've now back up an encrypted backup of each phone to itunes and we're going to head back to Apple later this morning.

euroswiss

Post by euroswiss » Sun May 13, 2018 1:01 pm

If you have a computer that can run iTunes (almost ANY computer can), you should really try the suggestion by balofagus above. Back up the phone to iTunes and plug in the new phone and select "restore". Very simple. Takes maybe 20minutes, all at home, no runs to store or internet connectivity concerns