Custom suit needed for a wedding. Help me shop around!!

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Post Reply
guitarguy
Posts: 1761
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:10 pm

Custom suit needed for a wedding. Help me shop around!!

Post by guitarguy » Wed May 09, 2018 9:43 am

Title pretty much says it...but here's some backstory...

My best friend of 20+ years is getting married and I'm the best man, and the only guy member of his bridal party. He is...well...what you'd call a real challenge for any tailor or any off the rack suit: bodybuilder with huge chest and shoulders, tiny waist, big legs, and on top of all that, a short dude. Probably 5'5" and 215 lbs. [OT comment removed by admin LadyGeek]

He wants us buy matching suits for his wedding instead of renting...and he wants navy which is a color I don't have...so I'm totally on board with that. But, he was doing some recon at Mens Wearhouse and was pretty much told he needs to go custom because of his build. He told me his experience has never really landed him a great fitting suit...so he understandably wants to go this route for his wedding. Even though he left me the option of finding something similar off the rack if I want to...I kinda *think* he wants me to go custom as well so we match and we can get buy one get one 50% off. I'm not off the walls excited about the idea of spending that much on a suit...but I've never had a custom suit and it'll probably be the only time in my life I ever get one made...navy is a classic color...and I honestly can afford it...so I'm debating on just going for it. I normally look good in slim fit off the rack stuff with some light tailoring...but a custom fit suit would be pretty neat to have once in my life.

All that said...where should we be shopping?? I've never shopped at Mens Wearhouse, but google doesn't tell me the best things. Looks like we'd be at about $1000 per suit with (what sounds like from him) really impressive quality imported fabric and including all tailoring - initial and future adjustments, but then with their deal we'd be at $750 each or so with the cost share.

I know there are probably online and/or overseas options...but not sure that's really feasible considering the occasion driving the purchase.

Are there any other places we should be looking at?

Appreciate the advice.

User avatar
JMacDonald
Posts: 2108
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:53 pm

Re: Custom suit needed for a wedding. Help me shop around!!

Post by JMacDonald » Wed May 09, 2018 9:57 am

I bought a suit from the Men's Wearhouse some years ago and was not happy with the service there. Maybe you will have better luck.
I am not sure about cost, but Nordstrom is know for it service.
Last edited by JMacDonald on Wed May 09, 2018 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Best Wishes, | Joe

LarryAllen
Posts: 1047
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:41 am
Location: State of Confusion

Re: Custom suit needed for a wedding. Help me shop around!!

Post by LarryAllen » Wed May 09, 2018 9:57 am

I would think $1,000 would buy a decent custom suit. Several of my friends swear by Tom James which has representatives that come to your office. Another friend, a couple years back, stumbled into a custom suit store right on the strip in Vegas. I think at the Miracle Mile shops. He said it was like $400 and it's a beautiful suit. I would think any big city would have a garment district where some seamstresses could throw something together cheap!? I would not shop at Men's Warehouse but that's just me.

daheld
Posts: 184
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:14 am

Re: Custom suit needed for a wedding. Help me shop around!!

Post by daheld » Wed May 09, 2018 10:16 am

I don't know what part of the country you're in, but I would recommend researching locally owned shops that make custom suits. I don't know this for sure, but I'm guessing places like Men's Wearhouse contract with local tailors anyway. I had a custom suit made for my wedding a little over 2 years ago. It was a lot of money--it wound up being $1300 for a 3 piece suit. But honestly, I was kind of in the same boat. We could afford it, we did not go overboard with our wedding overall, and my in-laws paid for the wedding. I used a small, locally owned tailor that caters to businessmen and rich folks who have much more money than me.

I had a phenomenal experience getting the suit made, and it honestly is unlike anything I've ever worn. I am 5'4", 145 with short arms, a 40" chest and a 30" waist. I cannot ever find anything that fits off the rack. It is amazing to have a suit that actually fits like one should. I would guess depending on where you're located, you could certainly get a custom made 2 piece suit for $1000, and probably even less if you find a place that is running a deal or willing to give a price break since there'd be two suits ordered.

caprica
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri May 08, 2015 5:26 pm

Re: Custom suit needed for a wedding. Help me shop around!!

Post by caprica » Wed May 09, 2018 10:24 am

I would consider looking at the online custom suit companies. I have used Indochino before and was happy. I now have two suits from them. A key consideration is making sure you have enough time before your event for the mailing, final tailoring, etc.

researcher
Posts: 497
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:05 pm

Re: Custom suit needed for a wedding. Help me shop around!!

Post by researcher » Wed May 09, 2018 10:32 am

guitarguy wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 9:43 am
He wants us buy matching suits for his wedding instead of renting...
He told me his experience has never really landed him a great fitting suit...so he understandably wants to go this route for his wedding...
I kinda *think* he wants me to go custom as well so we match and we can get buy one get one 50% off...
I'm not off the walls excited about the idea of spending that much on a suit...
with their deal we'd be at $750 each or so with the cost share.
Given that it is HIS wedding, and HIS desire to get custom made matching suits, why are you splitting the 50% off deal?

It seems like he should buy at full price and let you have the 50% off suit.

guitarguy
Posts: 1761
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:10 pm

Re: Custom suit needed for a wedding. Help me shop around!!

Post by guitarguy » Wed May 09, 2018 10:36 am

researcher wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 10:32 am
guitarguy wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 9:43 am
He wants us buy matching suits for his wedding instead of renting...
He told me his experience has never really landed him a great fitting suit...so he understandably wants to go this route for his wedding...
I kinda *think* he wants me to go custom as well so we match and we can get buy one get one 50% off...
I'm not off the walls excited about the idea of spending that much on a suit...
with their deal we'd be at $750 each or so with the cost share.
Given that it is HIS wedding, and HIS desire to get custom made matching suits, why are you splitting the 50% off deal?

It seems like he should buy at full price and let you have the 50% off suit.
I'm not all that worried about it.

bh7785
Posts: 78
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:57 am

Re: Custom suit needed for a wedding. Help me shop around!!

Post by bh7785 » Wed May 09, 2018 10:36 am

Frankly I'm shocked to hear that Men's Warehouse should be avoided. I mean, George Zimmer himself guaranteed that you'd like the way you look.

I'm just getting in this thread because I don't own any suits and should probably get one. Interested in what could be had for not a lot of dollars.

Andyrunner
Posts: 647
Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 9:14 am

Re: Custom suit needed for a wedding. Help me shop around!!

Post by Andyrunner » Wed May 09, 2018 11:00 am

I'd avoid Men's Warehouse.

I wear suits for work and my neighbor owns a local suit store so hopefully I can provide some input. I've found that the MW suits are overpriced crap, and I'm a cheapskate wearing $200-$300 suits. I'd try an online tailor place or go to a local place.

Oh and make sure there is plenty of time to get the suit. It could take a few weeks between ordering then fine tailoring.

golfCaddy
Posts: 643
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:02 pm

Re: Custom suit needed for a wedding. Help me shop around!!

Post by golfCaddy » Wed May 09, 2018 11:06 am

Read about the differences between made to order, made to measure, and bespoke. Custom is a marketing term, which depending on the brand, might be almost the same as off the rack. For a MTM or bespoke suit, $750/suit seems very low.

stlrick
Posts: 396
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:37 pm

Re: Custom suit needed for a wedding. Help me shop around!!

Post by stlrick » Wed May 09, 2018 11:07 am

There are a two basic categories of "custom made" suits, which are the alternative to "ready-to-wear" or "off-the-rack" suits. You need to know which one you want. Custom made can be "made-to-measure" or "bespoke." A made-to-measure suit involves having several measurements taken on your body. These are sent to the factory and what would have been a ready-to-wear suit is made to these specific measurements. It will require one visit to the store and then a couple of weeks for delivery. A true bespoke suit is hand made for you by one or more tailors, requiring several fittings. Everything about it is open to discussion. Some very high end companies (e.g., Brioni) do made-to-measure, so you will see suits in this category that are as expensive or more expensive than bespoke.

BSA44
Posts: 109
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:43 pm

Re: Custom suit needed for a wedding. Help me shop around!!

Post by BSA44 » Wed May 09, 2018 11:22 am

golfCaddy wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 11:06 am
Read about the differences between made to order, made to measure, and bespoke. Custom is a marketing term, which depending on the brand, might be almost the same as off the rack. For a MTM or bespoke suit, $750/suit seems very low.
I have had very good experiences with Indochino (online MTM suit-maker). Their suits are currently $369 plus a $75 alteration credit for a local tailor if needed. One time a suit came with an issue that couldn't be fixed by easy alterations (jacket lapels had gaps between them and the chest), and they took back the suit (they paid for return shipping) and sent me a new one.

protagonist
Posts: 5320
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:47 pm

Re: Custom suit needed for a wedding. Help me shop around!!

Post by protagonist » Wed May 09, 2018 12:20 pm

I got mine made here: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_ ... vince.html

If you have time and have always had the desire to visit Vietnam, here is your chance. You will wind up with a great suit for a lot less than you would pay in the US for comparable quality. I had a beautiful merino wool suit custom made there, hand-tailored on premises....plus two Egyptian cotton shirts and a silk tie....total price....I forget but it was somewhere around $300-400 I think. It is the only suit I will ever need. Cashmere is about the same price if I recall.

Is the quality as good as, say, what you could get on Saville Row, London? I doubt it. But it feels and looks great and I'm not sure that the average guy (eg: me) could tell the difference.

And Hoi An is a cool place to hang out as well.

This advice is not for everybody, I know.
Last edited by protagonist on Wed May 09, 2018 12:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ad2007
Posts: 56
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:59 am

Re: Custom suit needed for a wedding. Help me shop around!!

Post by ad2007 » Wed May 09, 2018 12:28 pm

protagonist wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 12:20 pm
I got mine made here: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_ ... vince.html

If you have time and have always had the desire to visit Vietnam, here is your chance. You will wind up with a great suit for a lot less than you would pay in the US for comparable quality. I had a beautiful merino wool suit custom made there....plus two Egyptian cotton shirts and a silk tie....total price....I forget but it was somewhere around $300-400 I think. It is the only suit I will ever need. And Hoi An is a cool place to hang out as well.

This advice is not for everybody, I know.
Had some great clothes custom made in Bangkok when I was there.

If you live in/near a major US city, you can maybe find a tailor (think Chinatown) that won't charge you an arm and a leg.

soitgoes2
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:17 am

Re: Custom suit needed for a wedding. Help me shop around!!

Post by soitgoes2 » Wed May 09, 2018 12:55 pm

I think it depends on how much time you have. You could try indochino. And just return it if not happy.

db79
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:00 pm

Re: Custom suit needed for a wedding. Help me shop around!!

Post by db79 » Wed May 09, 2018 12:58 pm

If you have a Nordstroms local go get fitted and see what the tailor has to say about your friend. Their semi annual men's sale is right around Father's Day and brands such as Hugo Boss can be had for approx. 50% off. I have a 10+" difference between my chest and waist and the tailor does wonders with an off-the-rack "athletic" cut Hugo suit.

informal guide
Posts: 185
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:26 am

Re: Custom suit needed for a wedding. Help me shop around!!

Post by informal guide » Wed May 09, 2018 1:18 pm

I have had very good experiences with Indochino (online MTM suit-maker). Their suits are currently $369 plus a $75 alteration credit for a local tailor if needed. One time a suit came with an issue that couldn't be fixed by easy alterations (jacket lapels had gaps between them and the chest), and they took back the suit (they paid for return shipping) and sent me a new one.
[/quote]

I just had a tux done for me (a black tie wedding) at Indochino and am highly satisfied - -around $525 with a vest. It took two 45 minute appts for me. It is way better than any other suit I've had, whether from Jos. Banks or Neiman Marcus, and I am a relatively good "off the rack" size guy. I had it within 5 weeks. They now have 28 showrooms, according to their web site, including one close to me in a major mall. If one is close to you, schedule an appt. and they will actually take all the measurements and walk you through the myriad choices of cuts, fabrics, etc. If you do it that way, have the suit delivered to the store (rather than to your home) and go in for a final fitting - -they improved the already good fit and the additional alterations were at no charge.

If I need another suit(I still have many in my closet, that I don't now need to wear), I will go back!

Nearly A Moose
Posts: 844
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:28 pm

Re: Custom suit needed for a wedding. Help me shop around!!

Post by Nearly A Moose » Wed May 09, 2018 9:02 pm

If you're looking at men's Warehouse prices, check out Indochino. Online made to measure company. They have reasonably decent fabrics and styles, and that will help you and buddy match up well without needing to have you in a less than ideal cut for your body type. I have two suits from them that are pretty good, and I bought at their entry level price point. Not my best suit, but not my worst. I think you'd be satisfied.

J Crew's Cosby cut is a bit more generous than their Ludlow, good quality, and you can mix and match separates. Suit supply might also work, but I don't remember whether you can mix pants and jackets or if there's a standard drop. But you might have trouble finding a cut that fits you both or a matching color across cuts. You two might also go on a man date to Nordstrom together and see what they suggest, but don't expect it to be cheap.

More important though is finding a good tailor. A good tailor can work miracles. Whatever you buy should go straight to the tailor before you even take off a tag.

Edit: how do you not own a Navy suit?
Pardon typos, I'm probably using my fat thumbs on a tiny phone.

PhilosophyAndrew
Posts: 405
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:06 am

Re: Custom suit needed for a wedding. Help me shop around!!

Post by PhilosophyAndrew » Wed May 09, 2018 9:26 pm

Men’s Wearhouse suits are poor quality, and I would never invest $1,000 into one of those.

My only made-to-measure experience was with a Hickey Freeman suit from Nordstrom’s; I was pleased both with the suit and and service.

Nowadays I buy off-the-rack suits from eBay along with alterations from my local tailor. This doesn’t sound like a feasible option for the OP’s friend, however.

Andy.

golfCaddy
Posts: 643
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:02 pm

Re: Custom suit needed for a wedding. Help me shop around!!

Post by golfCaddy » Wed May 09, 2018 10:53 pm

Why do you need a custom suit? Why can't you get an off the rack and he get a made to measure version of the same suit? Then, you can have matching fabric, but you won't have to spend as much.

user5027
Posts: 790
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:54 pm

Re: Custom suit needed for a wedding. Help me shop around!!

Post by user5027 » Thu May 10, 2018 7:06 am

Go to where the best dressed coach in men's basketball goes...
https://dbtailors.com/

nyclon
Posts: 274
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:30 pm

Re: Custom suit needed for a wedding. Help me shop around!!

Post by nyclon » Thu May 10, 2018 7:25 am

guitarguy wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 9:43 am
Title pretty much says it...but here's some backstory...

My best friend of 20+ years is getting married and I'm the best man, and the only guy member of his bridal party. He is...well...what you'd call a real challenge for any tailor or any off the rack suit: bodybuilder with huge chest and shoulders, tiny waist, big legs, and on top of all that, a short dude. Probably 5'5" and 215 lbs. [OT comment removed by admin LadyGeek]

He wants us buy matching suits for his wedding instead of renting...and he wants navy which is a color I don't have...so I'm totally on board with that. But, he was doing some recon at Mens Wearhouse and was pretty much told he needs to go custom because of his build. He told me his experience has never really landed him a great fitting suit...so he understandably wants to go this route for his wedding. Even though he left me the option of finding something similar off the rack if I want to...I kinda *think* he wants me to go custom as well so we match and we can get buy one get one 50% off. I'm not off the walls excited about the idea of spending that much on a suit...but I've never had a custom suit and it'll probably be the only time in my life I ever get one made...navy is a classic color...and I honestly can afford it...so I'm debating on just going for it. I normally look good in slim fit off the rack stuff with some light tailoring...but a custom fit suit would be pretty neat to have once in my life.

All that said...where should we be shopping?? I've never shopped at Mens Wearhouse, but google doesn't tell me the best things. Looks like we'd be at about $1000 per suit with (what sounds like from him) really impressive quality imported fabric and including all tailoring - initial and future adjustments, but then with their deal we'd be at $750 each or so with the cost share.

I know there are probably online and/or overseas options...but not sure that's really feasible considering the occasion driving the purchase.

Are there any other places we should be looking at?

Appreciate the advice.
MW is terrible. Don't do that to yourself. Try buying off the rack and having it tailored by a good tailor. I've done this with Charles tyrwhitt and the result looked 95% bespoke. Won't cost more than $500-700.

User avatar
simplesimon
Posts: 3134
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:53 pm
Location: Boston, MA

Re: Custom suit needed for a wedding. Help me shop around!!

Post by simplesimon » Thu May 10, 2018 7:34 am

What is your timeline and where do you live?

If you have at least six months to go I'd recommend MyTailor.com. You'll spend about $1-1.2k on high quality suit and another $100 on a shirt. They won't give you any buy one get one 50% off deal but they'll work with you if you're reasonable. Like other custom places you'll get to pick every single detail of the outfit (from basic stuff like pleats/no pleats, cuffs/no cuffs, to very fussy things like having real holes for sleeve buttons or the pattern for the inside lining of the jacket).

GmanJeff
Posts: 124
Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:12 am

Re: Custom suit needed for a wedding. Help me shop around!!

Post by GmanJeff » Thu May 10, 2018 8:18 am

Brooks Brothers does made-to-measure, which will likely meet your needs without the expense of fully bespoke. In addition to being fitted to you with a higher level of precision and greater range of flexibility than simply adjusting an off-the-rack suit, you can obtain details like surgeon's cuffs, colorful linings, etc.

User avatar
Tamarind
Posts: 1109
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:38 pm

Re: Custom suit needed for a wedding. Help me shop around!!

Post by Tamarind » Thu May 10, 2018 11:29 am

There are also new entrants in the low-end bespoke suit market like Alton Lane that may be worth a look if they have a location near you.

Expect to spend $2k, but get a suit you can wear for a long time.

MDfive21
Posts: 267
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:16 am

Re: Custom suit needed for a wedding. Help me shop around!!

Post by MDfive21 » Thu May 10, 2018 11:39 am

forget about jos a bank and men's wearhouse. go full custom or a place like suit supply. i would def buy another suit from there.

see this thread.. viewtopic.php?f=11&t=219646&p=3390575&h ... t#p3390575

guitarguy
Posts: 1761
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:10 pm

Re: Custom suit needed for a wedding. Help me shop around!!

Post by guitarguy » Thu May 10, 2018 11:59 am

Nearly A Moose wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 9:02 pm
If you're looking at men's Warehouse prices, check out Indochino. Online made to measure company. They have reasonably decent fabrics and styles, and that will help you and buddy match up well without needing to have you in a less than ideal cut for your body type. I have two suits from them that are pretty good, and I bought at their entry level price point. Not my best suit, but not my worst. I think you'd be satisfied.

J Crew's Cosby cut is a bit more generous than their Ludlow, good quality, and you can mix and match separates. Suit supply might also work, but I don't remember whether you can mix pants and jackets or if there's a standard drop. But you might have trouble finding a cut that fits you both or a matching color across cuts. You two might also go on a man date to Nordstrom together and see what they suggest, but don't expect it to be cheap.

More important though is finding a good tailor. A good tailor can work miracles. Whatever you buy should go straight to the tailor before you even take off a tag.

Edit: how do you not own a Navy suit?
I have a good tailor already...and truthfully not stoked about using a MW tailor.

Don’t have a navy suit because I haven’t bought one yet! Haha. Thus far grey and black have done me fine.

I suggested Indochino but we are in Metro Detroit and I don’t think they have a showroom here. He’s not interested in doing the measure yourself thing which I’m not really either. I would do a day trip to Chicago, but he said “let’s look locally” first. He seems kinda keyed up on MW...so if that’s the case I prob will just find something off the rack that matches, or is close, and take it to my tailor.

Nearly A Moose
Posts: 844
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:28 pm

Re: Custom suit needed for a wedding. Help me shop around!!

Post by Nearly A Moose » Thu May 10, 2018 7:12 pm

guitarguy wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 11:59 am
Nearly A Moose wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 9:02 pm
If you're looking at men's Warehouse prices, check out Indochino. Online made to measure company. They have reasonably decent fabrics and styles, and that will help you and buddy match up well without needing to have you in a less than ideal cut for your body type. I have two suits from them that are pretty good, and I bought at their entry level price point. Not my best suit, but not my worst. I think you'd be satisfied.

J Crew's Cosby cut is a bit more generous than their Ludlow, good quality, and you can mix and match separates. Suit supply might also work, but I don't remember whether you can mix pants and jackets or if there's a standard drop. But you might have trouble finding a cut that fits you both or a matching color across cuts. You two might also go on a man date to Nordstrom together and see what they suggest, but don't expect it to be cheap.

More important though is finding a good tailor. A good tailor can work miracles. Whatever you buy should go straight to the tailor before you even take off a tag.

Edit: how do you not own a Navy suit?
I have a good tailor already...and truthfully not stoked about using a MW tailor.

Don’t have a navy suit because I haven’t bought one yet! Haha. Thus far grey and black have done me fine.

I suggested Indochino but we are in Metro Detroit and I don’t think they have a showroom here. He’s not interested in doing the measure yourself thing which I’m not really either. I would do a day trip to Chicago, but he said “let’s look locally” first. He seems kinda keyed up on MW...so if that’s the case I prob will just find something off the rack that matches, or is close, and take it to my tailor.
You're good for rolling with this. FYI, measuring yourself is pretty easy. But sounds like he's kind of made up his mind. That's fine.
Pardon typos, I'm probably using my fat thumbs on a tiny phone.

Stipe
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:58 pm

Re: Custom suit needed for a wedding. Help me shop around!!

Post by Stipe » Thu May 10, 2018 7:22 pm

Sid Mashburn
Service beyond belief...

jbuzolich
Posts: 266
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:52 pm

Re: Custom suit needed for a wedding. Help me shop around!!

Post by jbuzolich » Thu May 10, 2018 8:28 pm

db79 wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 12:58 pm
If you have a Nordstroms local go get fitted and see what the tailor has to say about your friend. Their semi annual men's sale is right around Father's Day and brands such as Hugo Boss can be had for approx. 50% off. I have a 10+" difference between my chest and waist and the tailor does wonders with an off-the-rack "athletic" cut Hugo suit.
I'm the exact opposite and have nearly zero drop between chest and waist. Hard to find suits since they all seem to factor in 4-6 inches of drop. I hope to try the online made to measure options at some point. Tired of paying men's wearhouse $500-$600 for an ok quality suit that I feel the staff try to force convince me that it's actually comfortable.

supalong52
Posts: 104
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:51 pm

Re: Custom suit needed for a wedding. Help me shop around!!

Post by supalong52 » Fri May 11, 2018 8:19 pm

Go ask the folks at styleforum.net. Custom suits can be tricky. My brother works in finance and has had his fair share of custom suits. I think he only liked the way one of them fit. This Youtube video gives you a pretty good idea of suits at different price points: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zX2BQF ... kqG57fgP7g

Post Reply