Which City to spend 4-6 weeks?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Theseus

Which City to spend 4-6 weeks?

Post by Theseus » Tue May 08, 2018 5:17 pm

I have been thinking about spending 4-6 weeks in one of the European cities next year (But also open to other parts of the world if it made sense). Most likely it will be from May 15 through June 15-30 (but I am flexible on that). I am looking for recommendations for cities that are able to meet following criteria that I think are essential.

- Bustling cities with many different activities, fairs, cultural aspects
- Plenty of things to do in general. small, big, trivial...everything is a fair game.
- Friendly locals and open to foreigners with different cultural backgrounds. It is likely that I will be alone for about 2 weeks before my wife can join me.
- Good access to public transportation.
- Day trips are easily possible by public transportation, train rides, plane hops.
- Access to monthly rentals.

While not extremely important, good restaurant scene, bicycle friendly city would make a big difference.

So far I have narrowed down to following mostly based on the location.
- Paris (was there last year for a week)
- Barcelona (been there for a week)
- Madrid
- Munich
-Vienna

I'd appreciate if BHs have any suggestions. If I enjoy this, I will do this every year in a different location. So more suggestions are definitely welcome.

Pajamas

Re: Which City to spend 4-6 weeks?

Post by Pajamas » Tue May 08, 2018 5:22 pm

If friendly is important to you, maybe Barcelona or Madrid. Probably Madrid would be best since you have already spent a week in Barcelona. If you are planning on traveling a lot, maybe Paris.
Last edited by Pajamas on Tue May 08, 2018 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Tue May 08, 2018 5:23 pm

Maybe:

Edinburgh
Oxford
Berlin
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Lynette

Post by Lynette » Tue May 08, 2018 5:35 pm

Rome,
London
Paris

blueblock

Post by blueblock » Tue May 08, 2018 5:48 pm

I've stayed in Brighton for extended periods and really like it. It's bustling but also laid back, with good restaurants/coffee houses, galleries, historical locations, etc. And it's less than an hour by train to London, half that to Gatwick for hops to other European cities.

BeneIRA

Post by BeneIRA » Tue May 08, 2018 6:09 pm

I would probably take London since it has quite a few low cost carriers which would make plane travel easy, but you would probably want more than a day wherever you go from there. Rome would be great as far as things to do and some day trips are possible from there. In Italy, I would take Florence over it because day trips to Siena, Tuscany, Pisa, etc are easy. Even Cinque Terre isn't a ridiculous day trip from Florence. And the city of Florence is great.

Vienna - Extremely livable city and you could spend a couple of days in some parts of Germany, Prague, Budapest, Bratislava, etc. I was fine with 2-3 days in Vienna then I was ready to move on, but living there would be nice.
Paris - Since you have been there for a week, I don't know what else you could discover and it isn't particularly close to CDG, a little over an hour RER ride.

PugetSoundguy

Post by PugetSoundguy » Tue May 08, 2018 6:23 pm

Paris. We just can't get enough of that city.

Meets all your criteria except maybe not as bicycle friendly as some. But you've been there so you can evaluate that.

Rail center of Europe. Fabulous daytrips in every direction. We even got a screaming deal on train tickets to London so did a London day trip. Long day, but super fun.

Watty

Post by Watty » Tue May 08, 2018 6:42 pm

Theseus wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 5:17 pm
Most likely it will be from May 15 through June 15-30 (but I am flexible on that).
Prince Harry is getting married on May 19th so you might take that into consideration if you go to or fly through London. If nothing else I would assume that security will be tighter than usual.

Six weeks will be a long time in one place if you don't have any structure. You might consider if you have any interest that you could take a week long seminar in something like cooking, art, or photography if you are interested in something like that. It would be easier to find seminars in English in England. :D
Theseus wrote:
It is likely that I will be alone for about 2 weeks before my wife can join me.
You might want to spend that time in some other location and then meet your wife in your final destination. That way the destination city would be fresh for both of you. I have not been there and my impression is that it is pretty overwhelmed with tourists but a lot of people are visiting Iceland so that might be an option for a week or two weeks before your wife is there.

badbreath

Post by badbreath » Tue May 08, 2018 7:10 pm

Here is a list of places I would go back to for longer stay. In no order.

Milan
Edinburgh
Stockholm (summer only)
London
Paris
Rouen (More lied back but you can do great day trips)
“While money can’t buy happiness, it certainly lets you choose your own form of misery.” Groucho Marx

ralph124cf

Post by ralph124cf » Tue May 08, 2018 7:19 pm

No objection to any of the previous picks, but add Athens.

Ralph

letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby » Tue May 08, 2018 7:20 pm

Sevilla Spain for a smaller option.

rich126

Post by rich126 » Tue May 08, 2018 7:25 pm

Personally I'd probably stay in several places, maybe 7-10 days per place.

Of the places you listed, Munich would be my #1. Great train service to anywhere you want to go.

happyisland

Post by happyisland » Tue May 08, 2018 7:41 pm

Berlin is a wonderful city, and very bikeable.

TallBoy29er

Post by TallBoy29er » Tue May 08, 2018 7:49 pm

Buenos Aires!!!

Edited to add reference for bikeability:

Buenos Aires entered as the only Latin American city in the world ranking of the most bike-friendly transport in cities. He held the fourteenth place among 122 urban centers studied by the team of Copenhagenize Design Co (planning and urban design) in Denmark, who compared the most important cities in the world. However, they warned that even “we must improve the infrastructure of bike paths, avoiding obstructions and expand the network,” which so far has 140 kilometers, 32 stations and 850 bikes free

Source: http://www.basohotel.com/buenos-aires-o ... ly-cities/ (many others reference the Copenhagenizen study as well).

e5116

Post by e5116 » Tue May 08, 2018 8:04 pm

Love Vienna.... Beautiful, bustling, nice people, great architecture, food, etc. Not necessarily the cheapest though (particularly compared to nearby cities like Prague, Budapest, etc), but it's all relative. I'd probably move around myself, but I get it that you're trying to "feel like a local" by spending a lot of time in one place. Obviously, places like London, Paris, Rome, Barcelona, Amsterdam, Munich would be good options too.

WildBill

Post by WildBill » Tue May 08, 2018 8:12 pm

Howdy

Madrid!

W B
"Through chances various, through all vicissitudes, we make our way." Virgil, The Aeneid

Van-Guard23

Post by Van-Guard23 » Tue May 08, 2018 8:21 pm

Have you considered Amsterdam?
It checks off all items on your list below..and talk about bike friendly:
"- Bustling cities with many different activities, fairs, cultural aspects
- Plenty of things to do in general. small, big, trivial...everything is a fair game.
- Friendly locals and open to foreigners with different cultural backgrounds. It is likely that I will be alone for about 2 weeks before my wife can join me.
- Day trips are easily possible by public transportation, train rides, plane hops.

While not extremely important, good restaurant scene, bicycle friendly city would make a big difference"

VG 23
Last edited by Van-Guard23 on Tue May 08, 2018 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I have only come here seeking knowledge. Things they wouldn't teach me of in college" | The Police "Wrapped Around Your Finger"

carguyny

Post by carguyny » Tue May 08, 2018 9:29 pm

I'm a big Formula 1 fan - so for me it would be Barcelona with a mid-trip journey to Monaco to also watch the Monaco F1. I love Barcelona, could easily retire there one day.

yukonjack

Post by yukonjack » Tue May 08, 2018 9:42 pm

I would also vote for staying in 2 or 3 different cities. Air travel within Europe is quite reasonable.

Missedtheboat

Post by Missedtheboat » Tue May 08, 2018 9:48 pm

Berlin, esp if you love history.

tigermilk

Post by tigermilk » Tue May 08, 2018 9:50 pm

A place that ticks all those boxes, in my opinion, is Tokyo. Tokyo and London are my two favorite cities in the world, The monthly rentals will be a harder box to tick, but Tokyo is getting more accessible in that respect.

Theseus

Post by Theseus » Wed May 09, 2018 7:03 pm

BeneIRA wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 6:09 pm
I would probably take London since it has quite a few low cost carriers which would make plane travel easy, but you would probably want more than a day wherever you go from there. Rome would be great as far as things to do and some day trips are possible from there. In Italy, I would take Florence over it because day trips to Siena, Tuscany, Pisa, etc are easy. Even Cinque Terre isn't a ridiculous day trip from Florence. And the city of Florence is great.

Vienna - Extremely livable city and you could spend a couple of days in some parts of Germany, Prague, Budapest, Bratislava, etc. I was fine with 2-3 days in Vienna then I was ready to move on, but living there would be nice.
Paris - Since you have been there for a week, I don't know what else you could discover and it isn't particularly close to CDG, a little over an hour RER ride.
Thanks. I have never been to London and would love to go there. While flying there is cheaper, I have heard it is one of the most expensive cities. People talk about $20 for a simple sandwich etc. I am thinking may be I will go there during the NFL game. It would be fun.

Theseus

Post by Theseus » Wed May 09, 2018 7:05 pm

Watty wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 6:42 pm
Theseus wrote:
Most likely it will be from May 15 through June 15-30 (but I am flexible on that).
Prince Harry is getting married on May 19th so you might take that into consideration if you go to or fly through London. If nothing else I would assume that security will be tighter than usual.

Six weeks will be a long time in one place if you don't have any structure. You might consider if you have any interest that you could take a week long seminar in something like cooking, art, or photography if you are interested in something like that. It would be easier to find seminars in English in England. :D
Theseus wrote:
It is likely that I will be alone for about 2 weeks before my wife can join me.
You might want to spend that time in some other location and then meet your wife in your final destination. That way the destination city would be fresh for both of you. I have not been there and my impression is that it is pretty overwhelmed with tourists but a lot of people are visiting Iceland so that might be an option for a week or two weeks before your wife is there.
Thank you!! I think both of your suggestions are excellent. I will explore some week long classes etc once I decide on the location. I can see myself spending couple of weeks somewhere else before meeting with DW.

curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon » Thu May 10, 2018 12:41 pm

Theseus wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 7:03 pm
BeneIRA wrote:

Thanks. I have never been to London and would love to go there. While flying there is cheaper, I have heard it is one of the most expensive cities. People talk about $20 for a simple sandwich etc. I am thinking may be I will go there during the NFL game. It would be fun.
London ticks a lot of boxes. Yes, it is expensive (I'd consider Amsterdam, Stockholm, Copenhagen similar), but lots of short term apartment options. Great city for plays and musicals, and you can often get mid-week seats for the longer running productions at half price. We often tag a week in London onto our trips elsewhere in Europe. Good base for both trips in the area as well as cheap flights to other cities (but some of the airports for cheap flights are a bit inconvenient).

Prague is fun, and a lot cheaper than London, but less to occupy you for an extended time. Barcelona is high on my list for this type of trip; lots in the city/area and Vueling/others offer cheap flights elsewhere.

BeneIRA

Post by BeneIRA » Thu May 10, 2018 1:59 pm

curmudgeon wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 12:41 pm
Theseus wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 7:03 pm
BeneIRA wrote:

London ticks a lot of boxes. Yes, it is expensive (I'd consider Amsterdam, Stockholm, Copenhagen similar), but lots of short term apartment options. Great city for plays and musicals, and you can often get mid-week seats for the longer running productions at half price. We often tag a week in London onto our trips elsewhere in Europe. Good base for both trips in the area as well as cheap flights to other cities (but some of the airports for cheap flights are a bit inconvenient).

Prague is fun, and a lot cheaper than London, but less to occupy you for an extended time. Barcelona is high on my list for this type of trip; lots in the city/area and Vueling/others offer cheap flights elsewhere.
I'm at the same point. If the OP is okay looking at the edges of London or just outside, things get remarkably cheaper. Apartment rentals would also be somewhat easy to come by and London would definitely keep you occupied if you're into museums. But yes, it is pretty expensive in comparison to some other European cities. It is relative, though. When I stay somewhere in Europe, I like to get apartments because I can shop at the local grocery stores, which are usually very different and fun, and cook myself meals. It is way cheaper than going out all the time and I feel more like a local when I do.

fujiters

Post by fujiters » Thu May 10, 2018 3:45 pm

I also recommend Rome. Great day trips, and a great place to just be.
“The purpose of the margin of safety is to render the forecast unnecessary.” -Benjamin Graham

Traveler

Post by Traveler » Thu May 10, 2018 7:05 pm

I would do Rome or Prague although Rome is not very bike friendly

Mickey7

Post by Mickey7 » Thu May 10, 2018 7:28 pm

Of course the Boglehead opinion is "It all depends."

For your checklist Amsterdam is an obvious choice.

Removing bicycling from the equation, all the other choices are equally fine.

But with Paris you can also check out the bike tours for the gardens at Versailles. This was truly a great experience!!!

Enjoy.

AerialP

Post by AerialP » Thu May 10, 2018 7:36 pm

I agree with splitting your time across a couple of different cities.
Of your short list, I recommend Vienna.
Of others' suggestions, I recommend Amsterdam.
My own thought, however, is that you weigh the merits of basing in Switzerland: Berne especially, but also Geneva, Basel, or Strasbourg (close enough). The transportation is jawdropping. The scenery is idyllic and the regional history is fascinating. The various museums and industries are plenty, and the cuisine is underrated (especially the wines). Extremely central for hopping around. And I have never had an issue with their friendliness despite the Swiss reputation of being reserved and chilly - a real melting pot of nationalities are present in the ostensibly neural country of diplomacy.

rjbraun

Post by rjbraun » Thu May 10, 2018 9:01 pm

AerialP wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 7:36 pm
I agree with splitting your time across a couple of different cities.
Of your short list, I recommend Vienna.
Of others' suggestions, I recommend Amsterdam.
My own thought, however, is that you weigh the merits of basing in Switzerland: Berne especially, but also Geneva, Basel, or Strasbourg (close enough). The transportation is jawdropping. The scenery is idyllic and the regional history is fascinating. The various museums and industries are plenty, and the cuisine is underrated (especially the wines). Extremely central for hopping around. And I have never had an issue with their friendliness despite the Swiss reputation of being reserved and chilly - a real melting pot of nationalities are present in the ostensibly neural country of diplomacy.
I bet Switzerland would rival London in cost and could likely be even pricier. Also, not sure how easy it would be to rent a place. I know people who tried to rent in Zurich and it sounded very tough. First, it was hard to find an apartment to begin with and then the two people I'm thinking of each complained separately about overly *picky* landlords. But, yes, I would agree that it's a country with beautiful natural scenery and with excellent public transport.

killjoy2012

Post by killjoy2012 » Thu May 10, 2018 10:32 pm

6 weeks would likely make London or Paris your best choices. Madrid, Rome, Berlin, and most of the other cities mentioned would be good for a few weeks, but 6 straight is pushing it, and London/Paris are about as well connected for public transport as you can get.

Seville has wonderful old town... but again, 6 weeks, probably not the best home base.

Peter Foley

Post by Peter Foley » Thu May 10, 2018 11:00 pm

I've lived in Madrid and have spent a fair amount of time in Paris. I admit I know Spain better.

I think there are a lot of day trips from Madrid using public transportation. Perhaps fewer significant day trips from Paris? IMHO Paris proper has more going for it than Madrid. Madrid can get quite hot in the summer, more so in July and August, but I would research the daily high temperatures in June and take that into account.

With the fast trains available in both countries, you can see a lot if you are willing to travel to a city, spend the day and a night and then return.

deepvalleys

Post by deepvalleys » Fri May 11, 2018 5:20 am

Bergen, Norway!

- Cultural: one of the biggest music festivals takes place in Bergen end of may!
- may-june is the only time of year with nice weather in Bergen. And light and long days.
- Interesting and beautiful city to visit with a lot of history
- Friendly locals :)
- Day trips or longer trips to see the fjords, or do hiking
- good restaurants
- not bike friendly
Last edited by deepvalleys on Fri May 11, 2018 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kiwi123

Post by kiwi123 » Fri May 11, 2018 2:08 pm

From the cities i've visited or lived in for 1+ weeks, here's my rankings... i tend to focus on food/culture/outdoors (somewhat in that order). Obviously your location within the city will have a big impact on your experience - being walking distance to the center really helps (e.g, avoid the suburbs of the biggest cities).

Chamonix (a town but if you like the mountains there's nothing in the world like it)
Paris
Rome
Bologna
Dijon
Lyon
Milan
Grenoble
Brussels
Vienna
London (probably a harsh ranking... many would put it up with Paris/Rome/etc.)
Amsterdam

BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy » Fri May 11, 2018 9:38 pm

Theseus wrote:
I'd appreciate if BHs have any suggestions. If I enjoy this, I will do this every year in a different location. So more suggestions are definitely welcome.
Dublin?
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect

codmaxkor

Post by codmaxkor » Fri May 11, 2018 10:00 pm

I would choose Madrid, hands down. After spending several months all over Europe, I have found Spaniards to be the friendliest and Spain to be the most culturally stimulating place for an American in Western Europe. You also get a good bang for your buck. There is no shortage of cultural events and I have found myself stumbling on a festival a couple of times. I'd also like to add that Barcelona is not Spain so if you feel any "been there done that" Madrid is a world away.

sperry8

Post by sperry8 » Fri May 11, 2018 11:17 pm

Theseus wrote:
I have been thinking about spending 4-6 weeks in one of the European cities next year (But also open to other parts of the world if it made sense). Most likely it will be from May 15 through June 15-30 (but I am flexible on that). I am looking for recommendations for cities that are able to meet following criteria that I think are essential.

- Bustling cities with many different activities, fairs, cultural aspects

While not extremely important, good restaurant scene, bicycle friendly city would make a big difference.

So far I have narrowed down to following mostly based on the location.
- Paris (was there last year for a week)
- Barcelona (been there for a week)
- Madrid
- Munich
-Vienna

With the exception of Munich (which is simply too small and thus too touristy for me) I think you've listed some awesome cities. Vienna is stunning and has many places to travel to nearby. Barcelona is fantastic, large bustling city with so much to do you won't even want to travel outside it. Paris... well how can you go wrong... it's huge and beautiful. Madrid would be behind these 3, but still a cool city. I'd swap Berlin for Munich. Excellent city and much less touristic feel than Munich.
Humbling BH contest results: 2017: #516 of 647 | 2016: #121 of 610 | 2015: #18 of 552 | 2014: #225 of 503 | 2013: #383 of 433 | 2012: #366 of 410 | 2011: #113 of 369 | 2010: #53 of 282

HongKonger

Post by HongKonger » Sat May 12, 2018 6:26 am

I don't think we know yet whether those cheap flights from London in to the EU will still be flying in May next year.

If it must be Europe, I would go with Amsterdam.

But really I would say go to Bangkok and then explore SE Asia from there.

GratefulinNC

Post by GratefulinNC » Sat May 12, 2018 6:31 am

Go the country whose culture most interests you, but stay out of the capital city.

FireProof

Post by FireProof » Sat May 12, 2018 6:45 am

Madrid is better than London for cheap flights. London cheap flights leave from airports far outside the city, and the cost to get to the airport may rival the cost of the flight. Madrid only has one airport, it is in the city, and connected by normal public transport (less than 2.5 Euros to get there). Milan probably has the highest sheer volume of cheap flights (since it's a big hub for RyanAir, EasyJet AND WizzAir), but also with weird airports.

Of the cities listed, I've only lived in Berlin and Madrid, and I'd certainly recommend both. Both have great public transport, but Madrid is more walkable (it's very centralized, so if you live downtown, everything will likely be nearby) - I'd go days or weeks without going in the metro. Berlin has more bike infrastructure, and more necessity to bike, and it's also flatter. Both have a huge amount of activities, but Berlin is definitely younger and edgier. Berlin far more international and multicultural, but Madrid is certainly welcoming to foreigners. On the other hand, if you don't speak German and Spanish fluently, communication will be much easier and deeper in Berlin. In that period, weather will also be perfect in Madrid (maybe getting slightly hot towards the end), could be a bit dodgy in Berlin in May (but days will start to get VERY long in June). Madrid has more touristy day trips.

From my experience, renting for short-term is Berlin is very easy, actually much easier than long-term - just check wg-gesucht for sublets. I rented apartments for 1 months, 9 months and 4 months while I was there, and when my parents came, I rented one for them for 1 month - all at normal long-term prices (around 600 Euros/month). Madrid I think may be trickier to rent for short-term, though I've never really tried. They generally want at least 6-month contracts, and there is a thriving vacation rental business, and they may try to put you in that box.

chickadee

Post by chickadee » Sat May 12, 2018 3:14 pm

If really interested in Paris, get the book Paris to the Past: Traveling through French History by Train

https://www.amazon.com/Paris-Past-Trave ... 0393343154

The author tells the story of France through day trips from Paris by train, in chronological order! It’s a masterpiece of a book, even if you only take a couple of the trips.

That being said, I like the idea of 1/2 Madrid and 1/2 Berlin and 1/2 Amsterdam. :wink:

Berlin is just fabulous, and inexpensive compared to some of your other ideas. Has low cost flights. Madrid has good train connections to day trips, low cost flights. Amsterdam is friendly, has the bike thing, and has train day trips of interest. My husband and I debated your idea as if we were doing it, and that’s where we landed. Although he’d add a week in London on the front or backend. I get itchy feet after 4-5 nights, so staying in one place for six weeks would chafe.

gmtret

Post by gmtret » Sat May 12, 2018 5:28 pm

I would suggest Galway, on the west coast of Ireland. It is a heck of a town with lots of festivals. I was there back in 2002, and loved it so much that I stayed until 2006! Fly into Shannon where public transport will get you to Galway.
"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science." | - Albert Einstein

tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr » Sun May 13, 2018 10:34 am

Many love spending extended time in Tuscany.
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Sun May 13, 2018 12:51 pm

Madrid.

BrooklynInvest

Post by BrooklynInvest » Sun May 13, 2018 2:54 pm

We had a great time eating our way through Madrid and Barcelona. Took the high speed train between 'em.

Rome was just awesome. Incredible history, food to die for.

straws46

Post by straws46 » Sun May 13, 2018 3:19 pm

Just got back from a month in Spain. We spent 10 days in Madrid and loved it. The subway is excellent but most places are in walking distance in the central city. We stayed at the Hyatt Centric on Grand Via and the hotel and location were both excellent. It was easy to get to either train station from the subway stop a block away and we took a day trip to Segovia from Charmartin station and a day trip to Toledo from Atocha. It's 5 hours by train to Bilbao but only 3 hours to Seville.

If bicycling is important to you, you might consider Copenhagen.

sallyann2

Post by sallyann2 » Mon May 14, 2018 2:30 pm

I'm essentially looking to do the same thing. I have a lot of accumulated leave time that I need to take so I'm hatching a plan to spend next summer in Europe with the kids (they will be 10 and almost 13). Between not paying for summer camps or pool membership, I'm thinking it won't actually be that much more expensive than a typical summer. My initial idea is to do a month long rental in two different cities with good transit options. Getting some good ideas from this thread.

mak1277

Post by mak1277 » Mon May 14, 2018 2:39 pm

Since you said the timing is flexible...

If it was me, I'd follow Hemingway's tracks from Sun Also Rises. Paris...Madrid...Pamplona for running of the bulls. This would be June/July rather than May/June though.

Theseus

Post by Theseus » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:06 am

Thank you all for great information and suggestions.

There were several suggestions for Berlin. I spent a week there earlier this year. And I loved the city and it is very reasonable and friendly locals. But I don't think I can spend longer than a week in the city. Way too spread out for my taste.

I absolutely loved Barcelona and could go back there again. I like how walkable the city is and architecture is just amazing. It is not too big a city but very bustling.

I like the suggestions for spreading out my time in may be 2-3 locations. I might do that. Considering that women's FIFA cup is in France next year from June 7 - July 7 that is very tempting. US team is very good and they may have a chance again.

Based on all the input, I may go 2 weeks in London, 2 weeks in France and see some world cup games, 2 weeks Madrid.

Now I will have to learn a language. I am so bad at it. But I think if I start now on Spanish I may be able to converse a little by next year.