How to remove garden hose nozzle that is stuck on a hose

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
newbie003

How to remove garden hose nozzle that is stuck on a hose

Post by newbie003 » Tue May 08, 2018 4:11 pm

I have tried wd40, pliers, etc... and I cannot get my hose nozzle to budge. Any thoughts?

Limoncello402

Re: How to remove garden hose nozzle that is stuck on a hose

Post by Limoncello402 » Tue May 08, 2018 4:14 pm

Wow--all I can say is I am following this post! The EXACT thing happened to me when I took the hose out yesterday. What is stuck in the hose nozzle is the nozzle of the house mounted galvanized faucet that must have broken off last year when I took the hose out.
Tried for about 1/2 hour with various pliers, wrenches, and WD40, and it does NOT budge.
We must be twins :)
Last edited by Limoncello402 on Tue May 08, 2018 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Glockenspiel

Post by Glockenspiel » Tue May 08, 2018 4:15 pm

Following. Same here. Had the same leaky nozzle stuck on it for 3 years now.

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Tue May 08, 2018 4:20 pm

Cut the hose above the nozzle and buy a garden hose repair kit at a big-box store to replace it. I've never been able to get them off once they're stuck. I think I've finally learned my lesson and now remove the nozzle after every use so it won't get stuck in the first place.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Tue May 08, 2018 4:21 pm

Sometimes applied heat can to the outside of the nozzle threads can expand them enough to loosen the works. If not, it is a fairly simple thing to cut the end off your hose and attached a new end on it.

[Edited to add: Assuming it is a brass or metal nozzle. I wouldn't do that for a plastic one.]

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Tue May 08, 2018 4:24 pm

Boil a big pot of water - in a pasta boiling pot. Carry the pot out to the recalcitrant hose/nozzle. Dip the nozzle and a few inches of hose into the pot for 30 seconds or a minute. Unscrew it. If this does not work, try again using a longer or shorter dunking time.

If this does not work, cut off the offending nozzle and use a hose repair kit and buy a new nozzle.

Loik098

Post by Loik098 » Tue May 08, 2018 4:25 pm

Cut the hose just below the threads, and attach a male/female hose mender on the end of it. Good as new.

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Tue May 08, 2018 4:30 pm

newbie003 wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 4:11 pm
I have tried wd40, pliers, etc... and I cannot get my hose nozzle to budge. Any thoughts?
Buy a cheap torch, heat up the nozzle where it attaches to the hose. It should expand allowing you to twist off.
Be careful of heating too much....don't want to melt hose etc.

Have pliers handy for the twisting- 2 pairs, one for hose side, one for nozzle side.

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Tue May 08, 2018 4:33 pm

Cut the hose just below the threads, and attach a male/female hose mender on the end of it. Good as new.
Last resort. Some are not reliable and fail...necessitating an endless loop of repair (ELOR) :|

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Tue May 08, 2018 4:37 pm

Two sets of vise-grips.

But I wonder if youtube.com has the real answer.

Basically, you don't want to go buy something that will cost more than buying a new hose or nozzle. As long as you don't mess up your current setup, you can just leave it attached forever.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

jharkin

Post by jharkin » Tue May 08, 2018 5:58 pm

This has happened to me a few times. Galvanic corrosion between the dissimilar metals of the thread in the nozzle and the hose (brass) have fused them together.

Usually the nozzle is in pretty bad shape as well and getting it apart requires techniques that may destroy it anyway, so I just cut off the hose with utility knife. Then repair it with a hose mender and a new nozzle:
https://www.amazon.com/Gilmour-Zinc-Mal ... %3AGilmour

When you buy the mender, also pickup a role of plumbers teflon tape or a tube of anti-sieze. Apply this liberally to the new hose end threads before installing the new nozzle to prevent a repeat.

NOTE: These menders are also made in female thread and double ended versions... So you can do the same repair to the spigot end or repair pinhole leaks in the middle of the hose by cutting out the bad section.

goingup

Post by goingup » Tue May 08, 2018 6:07 pm

retiredjg wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 4:24 pm
Boil a big pot of water - in a pasta boiling pot. Carry the pot out to the recalcitrant hose/nozzle. Dip the nozzle and a few inches of hose into the pot for 30 seconds or a minute. Unscrew it. If this does not work, try again using a longer or shorter dunking time.

If this does not work, cut off the offending nozzle and use a hose repair kit and buy a new nozzle.
Thanks for this! I'll try it! :happy

sam5

Post by sam5 » Tue May 08, 2018 6:22 pm

For the future, this situation can be prevented by using pipe tape (white teflon tape) when assembling the nozzle onto the hose, or the hose onto the house faucet.

researcher

Post by researcher » Tue May 08, 2018 9:16 pm

newbie003 wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 4:11 pm
Put a set of vice grips or channel locks on the hose nozzle.
Put another set on the hose.
Turn the hose nozzle counter clockwise.

kaneohe

Post by kaneohe » Tue May 08, 2018 9:22 pm

As others have suggested, try muscle using 2 vise grip pliers,pipe wrench, etc. When/if you finally get them undone, check for cause. I thought it might be debris that was on the threads but instead, it was because there was no washer on one end causing threading to go further than it should have.

LifeIsGood

Post by LifeIsGood » Wed May 09, 2018 6:28 am

Be careful using Vice Grips on a soft metal fitting. Too much pressure can deform the fitting making it even harder to remove. I have had great success getting stuck threaded fittings apart with PBblaster. Readily available in hardware, auto and home centers.

carolinaman

Post by carolinaman » Wed May 09, 2018 7:15 am

Rupert wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 4:20 pm
Cut the hose above the nozzle and buy a garden hose repair kit at a big-box store to replace it. I've never been able to get them off once they're stuck. I think I've finally learned my lesson and now remove the nozzle after every use so it won't get stuck in the first place.
+1. This works, is easy to do, and repair kits are inexpensive.

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Wed May 09, 2018 7:59 am

2 x strap wrench

gutrageous

Post by gutrageous » Wed May 09, 2018 8:03 am

If you do decide to go the route of snipping off the hose end and putting a new fitting on it, i'd suggest you go with the cheaper plastic end instead of the "premium" metal end. I've found that the seizing up happens when you have a metal hose end with metal threads on the spray nozzle. With a plastic hose end, i've never had one get stuck and they seem to last a good while. About 1/4 the price too!.

Marshall

Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta » Wed May 09, 2018 11:25 am

You can also prevent the problem from happening again by buying a quick disconnect and installing it between the hose and the nozzle. The disconnect fittings may still adhere to the hose or nozzle, but you needn't care since you can still use the disconnect.

sport

Post by sport » Wed May 09, 2018 12:01 pm

My hose has brass fittings. To avoid this problem, I have tried to find a nozzle that is brass or has a brass insert to avoid corrosion caused by different metals. I have not had any luck finding a nozzle with brass threads. Plastic eliminates the problem. However, the plastic nozzles are usually cheap ones and not very good.

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Wed May 09, 2018 12:07 pm

1. PB Blaster;
2. Two vise grips or 2 pair of pliers;
3. New hose and nozzle for $20.

JT

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Wed May 09, 2018 12:10 pm

livesoft wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 4:37 pm
Two sets of vise-grips.

But I wonder if youtube.com has the real answer.

Basically, you don't want to go buy something that will cost more than buying a new hose or nozzle. As long as you don't mess up your current setup, you can just leave it attached forever.
Vise grips or locking pliers always worked for me. Yours sounds like a particularly tough situation.

wilshuer

Post by wilshuer » Wed May 09, 2018 12:14 pm

Due to very hard water, I seem to get this quite often, and have somewhat learned from it. I've changed over to quick-connect type fittings for all my hoses and nozzles.

I have had to cut a few off with the dremmel tool, very carefully cut down just deep enough to get through the female end threads, about 120 degree apart, then it comes off. The piece you cut is trashed, but the male side is still ok if you're careful on the cut. Vise grips and anything else seemed to just smash the connections and make it worse.

Abe

Post by Abe » Wed May 09, 2018 1:34 pm

Clamp curved jaw vice grips or locking pliers on to the metal part of the hose. Be careful not to bend it. Take a pair of channel locks and turn the nozzle counter clockwise to loosen it.
Slow and steady wins the race.

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Wed May 09, 2018 3:03 pm

There's been some time to try many of these things. Any feed back yet? :D

Limoncello402

Post by Limoncello402 » Wed May 09, 2018 3:53 pm

Tried and was hopeful about the boiling water method. But that didn't work. Does not budge.
Hate to say it but I tossed the hose and will get a new one. Not worth my time to rebuild.

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Wed May 09, 2018 3:54 pm

Darn. I was hopeful. :happy

longleaf

Post by longleaf » Wed May 09, 2018 4:04 pm

Local hardware store
Frugality, indexing, time.

Chicago60

Post by Chicago60 » Thu May 10, 2018 2:42 pm

Limoncello402 wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 3:53 pm

I tossed the hose and will get a new one. Not worth my time to rebuild.
This seemed like the obvious solution to me, but not nearly as satisfying as others' suggestions.

NotWhoYouThink

Post by NotWhoYouThink » Thu May 10, 2018 2:47 pm

Sorry I was too late. Percussive maintenance works in many cases. Bang the nozzle/fitting against a rock. Sometimes a shock works better than torque. But a trip to the hardware store works too.

Yooper

Post by Yooper » Thu May 10, 2018 6:53 pm

Perfect excuse to buy a bench mounted vise. C'mon, you always wanted one. Clamp that baby in, slap on a pair of vise grips and let'er rip!

Sportswhiz00

Post by Sportswhiz00 » Thu May 10, 2018 8:21 pm

What about removing a hose stuck on outdoor faucet? That’s my problem

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Thu May 10, 2018 8:35 pm

That hose has to be off by now ... it's been two whole days.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

gliderpilot567

Post by gliderpilot567 » Thu May 10, 2018 9:23 pm

Hmm, I need to go check my hose now. I have left a nozzle on for a while and we have nasty hard water, so the electrolysis has probably fused everything together by now. I'm especially concerned about the hose where it screws onto the faucet... will probably need to disconnect that and re-do after applying Teflon tape.

If you have hard water deposits crusting the hose/nozzle interface, you might be able to dunk the whole thing in a bucket of vinegar to help loosen the minerals. I periodically had to do that with our shower heads before we got a water softener system.

Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 » Thu May 10, 2018 9:28 pm

WD-40 solves most problems. Duct tape solves most others. If that doesn't work, there's always dynamite. :twisted:

weltschmerz

Post by weltschmerz » Thu May 10, 2018 10:48 pm

I agree with the 2 wrench solution. Put a wrench on the hose, another on the nozzle, and twist. If it don't budge, then find a stronger friend!

I recently went through a problem similar to this, involving replacement of a cartridge in my shower faucet. It is a Delta 1700 series, and it has a "bonnet nut" holding the cartridge in place. This nut is about 2 inches in diameter, and it gets stuck over the years due to corrosion and calcification. I tried 2 wrenches, I tried soaking everything in vinegar, I tried using a blow torch (too hard to control the flame). That nut wouldn't budge! Eventually, I took out my hacksaw, and cut a nice slice out of the bonnet nut at a 45 degree angle, then I inserted a flat head screwdriver, and twisted it real hard.... it popped! I had broken the nut free! Anyway, the moral of the story...be persistant, you'll get it eventually.

samtex

Post by samtex » Thu May 10, 2018 11:40 pm

Actually, the best penetrating oil is a 50/50 mix of acetone and ATF. It's also the cheapest.

Testing info: http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/thread ... rating-Oil

I agree about using blunt force on seized threads if care is taken.

Samtex

joeblow

Post by joeblow » Fri May 11, 2018 1:31 am

Hmmmm? This seems odd.

Surprise it wasn't mentioned yet...make sure you're turning it the right way.

Righty tighty, lefty loosey.

CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave » Fri May 11, 2018 1:53 am

Limoncello402 wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 3:53 pm
Tried and was hopeful about the boiling water method. But that didn't work. Does not budge.
Hate to say it but I tossed the hose and will get a new one. Not worth my time to rebuild.
+1

Ordinary hoses have a very limited life.

The super high quality ones last better but certainly cost more to buy. The minimum quality I buy is the contractor grade, where the male end is made out of a piece of brass sturdy enough to be run over by a pickup truck and still work properly. This grade also has wrench flats below the threads to allow an adjustable wrench to hold the end.

You get what you pay for.

newbie003

Post by newbie003 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:19 am

Just an update that I finally got around to trying something. I bought this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0008 ... UTF8&psc=1

I used a saw to cut off the old hose end, attached the item above and (not to jinx it), so far so good!