When to buy new underwear?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Caduceus

When to buy new underwear?

Post by Caduceus » Mon May 07, 2018 5:40 am

Are there any issues with wearing the same boxer briefs for a really long time? Assuming they are kept clean, washed, etc.

My partner says underwear has to be changed out every year, but that does not make any sense to me. I only swap them out when the waistband, which is usually the first thing to deteriorate, starts to loosen.

DaftInvestor

Re: When to buy new underwear?

Post by DaftInvestor » Mon May 07, 2018 5:48 am

Changed out every year for what reason? What if you have 50 pair versus 7 pair - same schedule?
With any clothing - swap when it wears out. Modern detergent will clean it and if you still have concerns you can add some Clorox bleach to make sure.

Marketman

Post by Marketman » Mon May 07, 2018 5:48 am

I buy more when my wife makes me. That is usually when they are threadbare, full of holes, and tattered.

samsoes

Post by samsoes » Mon May 07, 2018 5:55 am

Marketman wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 5:48 am
I buy more when my wife makes me. That is usually when they are threadbare, full of holes, and tattered.
Having been an EMT in my younger days, I assure you many people still wear underwear in the condition you describe.
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren at Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)

Caduceus

Post by Caduceus » Mon May 07, 2018 6:04 am

OK, thanks guys, but is there a limit to how many years would be too many years, even for a reasonable person? Like if you heard that someone was wearing ten-year-old underwear, would that sound weird?

Not that that's me. I'm just curious. 8-)

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Mon May 07, 2018 6:10 am

Caduceus wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 6:04 am
OK, thanks guys, but is there a limit to how many years would be too many years, even for a reasonable person? Like if you heard that someone was wearing ten-year-old underwear, would that sound weird?

No age limit.
Do you put a "buy year" on them that let's you know how old they are? I have a drawer full and no idea how old any given pair is. When a few wear out I replace with a few more - some at the back of the drawer might be 10 years old - I don't really know. Some elasticity might detoriate with time versus wear so perhaps the problem is fixed automatically. I still don't get the concern.
I've thrown out some clothing (or donated) that has gone out of style before wearing out - not the case with underwear - at least not for me.

JoMoney

Post by JoMoney » Mon May 07, 2018 6:32 am

Caduceus wrote:

I would congratulate them. A decade is quite an achievement. I know someone who just replaced some seven year old ones where the elastic wasn't doing anything any more.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Mon May 07, 2018 6:36 am

To stop this thread, buy yourself (invest in) several packs at Walmart.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Mon May 07, 2018 6:39 am

Caduceus wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 5:40 am
Are there any issues with wearing the same boxer briefs for a really long time? Assuming they are kept clean, washed, etc.

My partner says underwear has to be changed out every year, but that does not make any sense to me. I only swap them out when the waistband, which is usually the first thing to deteriorate, starts to loosen.
I agree with you, not your partner.

This makes absolutely no sense, UNLESS your partner has some evidence that cotton (for example) becomes toxic or radioactive (or perhaps explodes spontaneously?) after that 365th day. (And does that count from manufacturing, or sell date, or opening package, or first wearing?)

And what about cotton shirts or bed/bath linens?
Is wool or synthetic underwear safer?
:twisted:

:confused

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

andypanda

Post by andypanda » Mon May 07, 2018 6:51 am

I say buy them when you can afford them. Or when they're on sale.

That's where my money goes to buy my baby clothes;
I buy her everything to keep her in style.
She wears silk underwear, I wear my only pair.
Say, boys, that's where my money goes.

- old song

Or,

"She wears silk underwear.
I wear my last year's pair.
Say boys, that's where my money goes!"

- Album "Sing Along with Mitch Mitch Miller and the Gang" "

Freefun

Post by Freefun » Mon May 07, 2018 6:53 am

Exofficio lasts forever. At least so far.
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Mon May 07, 2018 7:03 am

Underwear is for receiving as a gift. Never ever buy your own underwear.

PS: While Exofficio is a good brand, there are many clones of it including Nike, Adidas, UnderArmor, and house-brands like BCG.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

BL

Post by BL » Mon May 07, 2018 7:15 am

samsoes wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 5:55 am
Marketman wrote:
Having been an EMT in my younger days, I assure you many people still wear underwear in the condition you describe.
Back in the day, kids were told they needed clean and non-raggedy underwear in case they had to go to the hospital. Guess it was true!

Also back in the BCD days (before clothes dryers), clothes were expected to be hung on the line to perfection: white clothes white, underwear lined up to perfection with no flaws, everything in perfect order as a window to your world. Would you want your neighbors to see your old underwear? :twisted:

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Mon May 07, 2018 7:16 am

Whenever the underpants gnomes whittle my underwear stash down to a level where I am running out of underwear before running out of clean cloths.

wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds » Mon May 07, 2018 8:01 am

That reminds me; how much should I pay for fixing a hole in sock? If there is a magic potion selling for $7.99 which can patch a hole in the sock, should order it? Of course, we can assume that $7.99 can patch hundred socks.

Don't you guys hate throwing out a perfectly good sock just because it develops a small hole at big toe?

AntsOnTheMarch

Post by AntsOnTheMarch » Mon May 07, 2018 8:03 am

Caduceus wrote:
My partner says underwear has to be changed out every year, but that does not make any sense to me.
A sure sign that your partner’s mind has been taken over by consumerist propaganda.

mmmodem

Post by mmmodem » Mon May 07, 2018 8:15 am

If it develops a hole in the “ahem” vital areas, I throw it out. If the hole is over a cheek for example, that’s fine. The only ones who will sees my underwear are me, my spouse, and the EMT. And hopefully none of us are saying anything. I don’t think I have decade old underwear but some got pretty close before disintegrating.

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Mon May 07, 2018 8:16 am

AntsOnTheMarch wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 8:03 am
Caduceus wrote:
My partner says underwear has to be changed out every year, but that does not make any sense to me.
A sure sign that your partner’s mind has been taken over by consumerist propaganda.
It's different for women. I do think women go through underwear faster and that women's underpants, in general, aren't as well engineered as men's underpants, although replacing at exactly one year old does seem arbitrary.

As for sock holes, I might attempt to darn (isn't that the correct word?) an expensive wool sock, but cotton socks simply aren't worth the effort. It's cheaper to buy new, repairs don't last long, and repairs create new seams that make them uncomfortable.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Mon May 07, 2018 8:22 am

wrongfunds wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 8:01 am
Don't you guys hate throwing out a perfectly good sock just because it develops a small hole at big toe?
No. Socks are so cheap, I don't even bother buying DarnTough socks which are guaranteed forever and people do send in old socks to get replacement ones. I imagine the postage, hassle, and time to do so are more expensive than just buying new socks (or getting them as gifts).
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds » Mon May 07, 2018 8:31 am

I like the idea of writing the purchase date on it. That way you can brag that I can still fit in my 10 year old underwear :-)

I do have a 30 year old shirt which I wear occasionally.

JPH

Post by JPH » Mon May 07, 2018 8:54 am

Commando
While the moments do summersaults into eternity | Cling to their coattails and beg them to stay - Townes Van Zandt

Church Lady

Post by Church Lady » Mon May 07, 2018 9:51 am

DaftInvestor wrote:
Changed out every year for what reason? What if you have 50 pair versus 7 pair - same schedule?
With any clothing - swap when it wears out. Modern detergent will clean it and if you still have concerns you can add some Clorox bleach to make sure.
Sadly, modern detergent will not clean it. Read this scary article:

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/Wellness/ ... d=10751420

Then go change your laundry practices.
He that loveth silver shall not be satisfied with silver; nor he that loveth abundance with increase: this is also vanity. Ecclesiastes 1:8

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Mon May 07, 2018 10:08 am

Church Lady wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 9:51 am
DaftInvestor wrote:
Sadly, modern detergent will not clean it. Read this scary article:

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/Wellness/ ... d=10751420

Then go change your laundry practices.
Thus my Clorox Bleach comment (the article says to run an empty cycle with Bleach - if your clothes/towels are colorfast; or you are careful to only use a little; you can also add bleach to a normal load - this is what I do periodically. I particularly like the way it returns my white T-Shirts to pure white.
Of course it could also cause your clothing to go thread-bare a bit sooner as well.).
If you are swapping clothes because you are concerned with wearing bacteria - is waiting a full year even sufficient?
The OP should share what the concern of his partner is. It might be a hygiene conern but could also be a concern about something else.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Mon May 07, 2018 10:11 am

Underwear, socks, other stretchy things. . . . when the elastic is no longer elastic = saggy baggy :shock: .

j :D

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Mon May 07, 2018 10:39 am

Caduceus wrote:

You and your partner are the only people this affects directly. Since you don't know what to do without asking posters on a financial website for advice about it, just do whatever will make your partner happy.

Darth Xanadu

Post by Darth Xanadu » Mon May 07, 2018 10:43 am

Partner doesn't like your old undies? You don't feel like you need new ones?

Solution: Eliminate all underwear. Problem solved.
My friends said stick to your guns, but instead I just got stuck.

Gort

Post by Gort » Mon May 07, 2018 10:56 am

My experience is that briefs offer a better "buy and hold" strategy as compared to boxers. :wink:

johnz1001

Post by johnz1001 » Mon May 07, 2018 11:03 am

Caduceus wrote:

There should be at least one you're trying to set a record with. All the other ones just do what makes everyone happy.. :happy

muddgirl

Post by muddgirl » Mon May 07, 2018 11:05 am

This must be one of those family traditions passed down as law, like the woman who cuts off the ends of the roast to fit her grandmother's pan.

If I only had two pairs of underwear (one to wear while the other is washed and drying), they'd certainly wear out faster. But I have at least a week's worth at any time and I cycle them through as they get worn or stained.

audioaxes

Post by audioaxes » Mon May 07, 2018 11:13 am

I just simply stock up on new underwear whenever I see a very good sale. And when you have an over-abundance of underwear obviously you can be much less hesitant with throwing out pairs that are starting to get iffy. All my underwear in rotation now are fruit of loom boxers and hanes boxer-briefs that I bought for $1 each from clearance at big lots and some discount clothing store from the last 2 years that still holding up just fine.

mountain-lion

Post by mountain-lion » Mon May 07, 2018 11:25 am

I'm surprised that no one here has mentioned the "Men's Underwear Index".

The answer for when many men to buy underwhear is, "When they are feeling confident in the economy." This has led to what is called the "Men's Underwear Index" which certain people believe can be used to predict the bottom of a recession and the start of an economic rebound. Not unlike the width-of-the-tie index.

Although using such indicators for anything other than amusement is decidedly unbogleheady, some reasonably reputable economists do think it is an interesting indicator--Alan Greenspan being one.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 02761.html

So, to the OP: How confident do you feel about your economic prospects? :wink:

hilink73

Post by hilink73 » Mon May 07, 2018 11:42 am

Marketman wrote:
Sexy.

EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt » Mon May 07, 2018 11:47 am

DaftInvestor wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 6:10 am
Caduceus wrote:

No age limit.
Do you put a "buy year" on them that let's you know how old they are? I have a drawer full and no idea how old any given pair is. When a few wear out I replace with a few more - some at the back of the drawer might be 10 years old - I don't really know. Some elasticity might detoriate with time versus wear so perhaps the problem is fixed automatically. I still don't get the concern.
I've thrown out some clothing (or donated) that has gone out of style before wearing out - not the case with underwear - at least not for me.

Check. When the elastic goes, or it gets a hole, I throw them out. Keep in mind I do not wear tidy whities which start to look gross after a year or two. If that is what you wear and they are starting to stain then I agree with your partner.

hilink73

Post by hilink73 » Mon May 07, 2018 11:48 am

wrongfunds wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 8:01 am
That reminds me; how much should I pay for fixing a hole in sock? If there is a magic potion selling for $7.99 which can patch a hole in the sock, should order it? Of course, we can assume that $7.99 can patch hundred socks.

Yes, think about that again.

http://www.socksforpaulwolfowitz.com/

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Mon May 07, 2018 11:53 am

Caduceus wrote:
...My partner says underwear has to be changed out every year...
Maybe she just wants you to keep up with the latest styles. :wink:
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

samsoes

Post by samsoes » Mon May 07, 2018 11:58 am

Gort wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 10:56 am
My experience is that briefs offer a better "buy and hold" strategy as compared to boxers. :wink:
Boxer briefs.
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren at Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)

Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider » Mon May 07, 2018 2:05 pm

samsoes wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 5:55 am
Marketman wrote:
Thanks for the memories and a chucle. My mom would make a point to tell us that you have to have clean underwear on every day. What if you had to go to the hospital?

I had a relatively slow-speed accident while driving my work's van as a teenager. I wasn't wearing my seat belt and split my lip on the ceiling of the van (don't ask me how). There was a lot of blood, but I was fine. They took me by ambulance to the emergency room anyway. My authoritarian dad, showed a lot of concern; "Are you badly hurt?". My sweet mom's demand was; "Do you have clean underwear on?" The answer was yes, so she let me live.

FreeAtLast

Post by FreeAtLast » Mon May 07, 2018 2:14 pm

If I had died in an auto accident and my mother went to identify the body.....the first thing she would have done is to confirm that I was wearing clean underwear. :twisted:

My vote is with the "elastic band wearing out" folks.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Mon May 07, 2018 2:18 pm

Caduceus wrote:

There is no expiration date. When holes appear and/or elastic gives out then buy new.

Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 » Mon May 07, 2018 2:24 pm

Ok I'm going to be the one to say it. If you seriously accidentally dirty your underwear on a rare occasion, you should throw them in the trash, not wash them. This is what I've been told from hospital staff. I also would hesitate to use a laundromat for this reason.

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Mon May 07, 2018 2:26 pm

Alexa9 wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 2:24 pm
Ok I'm going to be the one to say it. If you seriously accidentally dirty your underwear on a rare occasion, you should throw them in the trash, not wash them. This is what I've been told from hospital staff.
You're answering a different question. What if you never dirty them but they are a year old?

Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 » Mon May 07, 2018 2:28 pm

DaftInvestor wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 2:26 pm
Alexa9 wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 2:24 pm
Ok I'm going to be the one to say it. If you seriously accidentally dirty your underwear on a rare occasion, you should throw them in the trash, not wash them. This is what I've been told from hospital staff.
You're answering a different question. What if you never dirty them but they are a year old?
It depends on how many pairs you have: 7 (worn 52 times), 14 (worn 26 times) etc. I would say until they are worn out or faded. No reason to cling on to them for too long.

JHU ALmuni

Post by JHU ALmuni » Mon May 07, 2018 2:34 pm

I usually buy few once a year and throw away the ones that started to show signs of wear/uncomfortable. Same for socks. For some reason wearing underwear/socks in almost new condition makes me feel better.

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Mon May 07, 2018 2:37 pm

Is anyone else upping their underwear ante? I did the Hanes, fruit of the loom thing my entire life, but my latest purchases was for some of the higher cost brands with the micro-model materual.They are nice, but not sure that it was worth the extra $.
Everyone seems to be wanting to upsell on the underwear these days with multiple online brands now competing for your drawers.

brandy

Post by brandy » Mon May 07, 2018 2:42 pm

Coming from a different POV: HOW are they being washed and dried? Using fabric softeners of any kind both coat the fabric and shorten the life of fabrics. So, if fabric softeners/fluids or sheets etc are part of the equation, one might consider not using them when doing laundry of ANY kind. Use baking soda, vinegar, even a couple of sheets of tin foil work to remove static electricity, odors, etc. Your undies should last longer, be softer longer, and I would guess, not harbor all the nasties the article mentions.

I wonder if the fabric softener coated fabrics hold more germs/nasties than fabrics that have not been washed or dried using them.

For whiteness, if that is a consideration, consider using "bluing" with you whites of almost any kind:
Mrs Stewart's Liquid Bluing
Bluing, laundry blue, dolly blue or washing blue is a household product used to improve the appearance of textiles, especially white fabrics. Used during laundering, it adds a trace of blue dye to the fabric. Wikipedia It has other uses, too: http://mrsstewart.com/many-uses-for-msb/

SuperGrafx

Post by SuperGrafx » Mon May 07, 2018 2:46 pm

This is yet another one of those hilarious and bizarre threads that pop up on the Bogleheads forum from time to time.
Nothing will ever top the "When should I replace my toilet brush" thread.

Kind of funny and sad at the same time.

TSR

Post by TSR » Mon May 07, 2018 3:21 pm

mhalley wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 2:37 pm
Is anyone else upping their underwear ante? I did the Hanes, fruit of the loom thing my entire life, but my latest purchases was for some of the higher cost brands with the micro-model materual.They are nice, but not sure that it was worth the extra $.
Everyone seems to be wanting to upsell on the underwear these days with multiple online brands now competing for your drawers.
This deserves a thread (no pun intended) of its own. I have stayed in the Hanes/FTL boxer-brief orbit, with occasional trips into those brands "premium" lines. If there are new galaxies to be explored there, I'm not interested in being the one to explore. The marginal improvement doesn't seem to be very high, unless you're talking about specialized hiking/camping projects that are quick-dry or whatever.

Also, +1 on the holes/elastic rule.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Mon May 07, 2018 3:24 pm

How would anyone know it is over one year old?

The elastic, in my case, often gets stretched and they go when too loose.

I suppose you could have a small inventory (say one week) that you wear often - tne one year is no problem.

cashmoney

Post by cashmoney » Mon May 07, 2018 3:58 pm

Caduceus wrote:

I wait until they are half off ....

Crow Hunter

Post by Crow Hunter » Mon May 07, 2018 4:08 pm

You buy them?

I thought they just appeared in the underwear drawer all scratchy and stiff after I finally got them worn in enough to be really comfortable.

I always wondered where they came from and where my old comfortable underwear went.

Come to think of it, when we first got married would complain about my underwear being "worn out" but doesn't anymore.

Hmmm.....