What do you pay baby sitters?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
texasdiver

What do you pay baby sitters?

Post by texasdiver »

My 9th grade middle daughter is interested in earning some cash by baby sitting this summer. We live in a fairly upscale area with lots of kids so should be easy to find clients. It's been a long time since we paid for baby sitting ourselves so I'm just curious what the going rate is these days so I can suggest to her what to charge. There are a bazillion moms around here on the very active NextDoor app so I figure she can post an ad there.

Back about a decade ago I remember paying about $10/hr for kids to come sit. Just wondering what people pay today.
travelnut11

Re: What do you pay baby sitters?

Post by travelnut11 »

$13 per hour for two kids in MCOL area.
Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrowmindedness ...and many of our people need it solely on these accounts. - Mark Twain | | Life is either a daring adventure or it is nothing. - Helen Keller
SagaciousTraveler

Post by SagaciousTraveler »

Our first time babysitter started at $8, then bumped it up to $10.

I'm waiting to see if she requests a raise. I would certainly pay it and congratulate her for asking.
Fletch

Post by Fletch »

LOL! We've not had a babysitter since about 1970-75 or so. At that time we paid $0.50/hr. Inflation!!!!!!
Mako

Post by Mako »

Ours is a college student and charges $5 per hour per kid. We have 3 so it’s $15/hour. I think it’s a bargain.
MitchL

Post by MitchL »

My kids get $10-12/hour.
GCD

Post by GCD »

Circa 2012 in a LCOL area we paid a friend's 16-18 year old daughter $20 an hour for 2 kids 10ish year old. That was inflated because we wanted to help her get a stash of college tuition and spending money. But we also wouldn't have hired a babysitter if we weren't already friends with them and their parents.
tomd37

Post by tomd37 »

I have to laugh about this subject. I am 80 and when I cared for children in the early 1950s I charged twenty-five cents per hour (and for three kids) and those parents balked when I raised the price to thirty-five cents per hour. :annoyed
Tom D.
Hillview

Post by Hillview »

HCOL $15-$20 per hour.
lightheir

Post by lightheir »

Hcol 20-25 per hour for one really well behaved kid.

Seriously, at these rates I don't know why all the young women out there working restaurants and secretary gigs don't just up and grab this easy money instead.

If I don't pay this much, the sitter invariably flakes out when you need them most.
Bliss

Post by Bliss »

MCOL $15.00/hr for 1 toddler
Babysitter is an adult with years of childcare experience
Topic Author
texasdiver

Post by texasdiver »

Thanks guys.

I guess we are in a MCOL area (suburbs outside Portland). I was going to suggest she charge a base rate of $10 for the first kid if it is an easy situation and then $5 for each additional kid or for more difficult situations such as infants/toddlers/special needs that require more intensive care. At least to start. But also play it by ear as this is a relatively affluent area and some of the moms are probably used to paying more. She's still only 15 so will have to walk to jobs in our immediate neighborhood or have me drop her off.

I find this is one of those awkward things where both the sitter and the mom don't exactly know what is fair sometimes so it helps to have to have a number in mind in advance.
Isabelle77

Post by Isabelle77 »

We also live outside of Portland in a MCOL area, the same one as the OP I believe. My 8th grader makes $10-$12 an hour for anywhere from 1-3 kids. She hasn’t sit for any babies but I imagine it would be more.
Sam1

Post by Sam1 »

We pay $20 in dc. $17-20 is standard.
Sam1

Post by Sam1 »

lightheir wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 11:59 am Hcol 20-25 per hour for one really well behaved kid.

Seriously, at these rates I don't know why all the young women out there working restaurants and secretary gigs don't just up and grab this easy money instead.

If I don't pay this much, the sitter invariably flakes out when you need them most.
I agree. We also have to leave money for takeout.

Plus it’s CASH. It’s really like earning $30 an hour.
Balance

Post by Balance »

We live in a HCOL area (Bay Area).

Our babysitter charges $20/hr for two children. But my kids are small, 4 and 1.5 years old and are a lot of work. If my kids were older and more self-sufficient I would probably be paying around $15/hr.
EddyB

Post by EddyB »

tomd37 wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 9:22 am I have to laugh about this subject. I am 80 and when I cared for children in the early 1950s I charged twenty-five cents per hour (and for three kids) and those parents balked when I raised the price to thirty-five cents per hour. :annoyed
Are these rates tempting you to go back into the business?
tomd37

Post by tomd37 »

Now I am beginning to think about what it might cost me to get people to "baby sit" me as I grow older! :shock: If you are a child of eight or a old person at eighty the price seems to presently be $20 per hour.
Tom D.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

Children have a serious expense ratio.
bengal22

Post by bengal22 »

We don't charge to babysit grandkids. And we buy the ice cream.
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley
Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider »

Sam1 wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 2:38 pm Plus it’s CASH. It’s really like earning $30 an hour.
This is myth when it comes to part-time household help. There is absolutely no reason for babysitters to be paid under the table. Especially high schools students < 18.

They are household help and should be treated as such. In the vast majority of cases, there is no need for the parents to run payroll and deduct/withhold anything:
  • Yes, a W-2 is required for any one family's wages >= $600/year, but this is a just a ten minute $5 online filing in January.
  • FICA is only required for any one family's wages >= $2100/year and unlimited for students < 18.
  • FUTA/SUTA is only required for one family's wages >= $1000/quarter.
  • No income tax withholding is required if the babysitter has no tax liability. Given that the standard deduction is now $12K, that is very unlikely.
So in the vast majority of cases it can still be cash, Venmo, etc... with no payroll requirement except in extreme rare situations. At most a simple W-2 is all that is required.

Now as evidenced by the above post, this myth has reached legend status. So good luck educating the families about this. Major reasons is try, it is the law, you want to teach your kids the right way to do things and documented wages can be used for Roth IRA contributions.

In almost all cases, all we are talking about is a $5 W-2 filing cost to an online company.
awval999

Post by awval999 »

Tell the babysitter/nanny they’ll be getting a w2 and they will walk away.
GCD

Post by GCD »

Spirit Rider wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 6:14 pm In almost all cases, all we are talking about is a $5 W-2 filing cost to an online company.
Your exquisitely detailed post partially explains why the US is ranked 43 among countries in favorable business environments.
Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider »

GCD wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 7:34 pm Your exquisitely detailed post partially explains why the US is ranked 43 among countries in favorable business environments.

The book Three Felonies A Day details how overlegalized our society has become. I suppose our skittish mods will now shut down this thread for being a discussion of illegal activity.
What is the point of your post.

The purpose of my post is to dispel the myth that there is some magic benefit of being paid under the table for teenage household help. Especially when there is a clear benefit to the teenager.

The IRS doesn't care about this, because there is no lost revenue. I wasn't referring to any legal issues, just a way to benefit the teenager.

People are always trying to jump through hoops to fund a Roth IRA, when it right there in front of them.
Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider »

awval999 wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 7:18 pm Tell the babysitter/nanny they’ll be getting a w2 and they will walk away.
There is a big difference between substantial employment of an adult babysitter/nanny and modest employment of a teenager. Obviously, I was referring to the latter.

If the latter expresses a concern it is easily alleviated by the truth. The only thing that might happen is they may get a W-2 in January.
Snuffycuts99

Post by Snuffycuts99 »

We're in a LCOL area and pay $10 per hour for our 2 kids.
Frank Grimes

Post by Frank Grimes »

About $15 an hour to neighborhood teenagers to watch our two toddlers. Happy to pay it. We don't get out much.
nexesn

Post by nexesn »

HCOL area. Cost is $20 an hour for us.
RamblinDoc

Post by RamblinDoc »

whodidntante wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 4:20 pm Children have a serious expense ratio.
...and horrible front and back-loaded fees (birth and college/wedding respectively)!
Sam1

Post by Sam1 »

Spirit Rider wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 6:14 pm
Sam1 wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 2:38 pm Plus it’s CASH. It’s really like earning $30 an hour.
This is myth when it comes to part-time household help. There is absolutely no reason for babysitters to be paid under the table. Especially high schools students < 18.

They are household help and should be treated as such. In the vast majority of cases, there is no need for the parents to run payroll and deduct/withhold anything:
  • Yes, a W-2 is required for any one family's wages >= $600/year, but this is a just a ten minute $5 online filing in January.
  • FICA is only required for any one family's wages >= $2100/year and unlimited for students < 18.
  • FUTA/SUTA is only required for one family's wages >= $1000/quarter.
  • No income tax withholding is required if the babysitter has no tax liability. Given that the standard deduction is now $12K, that is very unlikely.
So in the vast majority of cases it can still be cash, Venmo, etc... with no payroll requirement except in extreme rare situations. At most a simple W-2 is all that is required.

Now as evidenced by the above post, this myth has reached legend status. So good luck educating the families about this. Major reasons is try, it is the law, you want to teach your kids the right way to do things and documented wages can be used for Roth IRA contributions.

In almost all cases, all we are talking about is a $5 W-2 filing cost to an online company.
You missed the point. Our babysitter also has a W2 earning job. She probably earns more on an hourly basis babysitting for us at $20 an hour cash.
Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 »

$10/hour is reasonable, maybe more if a family friend. To eat pizza and play video games, it's easy money for them unless the kids are pests.
Sam1

Post by Sam1 »

Alexa9 wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 9:15 pm $10/hour is reasonable, maybe more if a family friend. To eat pizza and play video games, it's easy money for them unless the kids are pests.
I think for babysitters it’s more the time than the work involved. It means missing out on an evening with friends, schoolwork, their own family etc.
Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 »

Sam1 wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 9:33 pm I think for babysitters it’s more the time than the work involved. It means missing out on an evening with friends, schoolwork, their own family etc.
Still way better than most jobs available to unskilled teenagers.
greg24

Post by greg24 »

texasdiver wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 12:34 pmBut also play it by ear as this is a relatively affluent area and some of the moms are probably used to paying more.
If you are in a relatively affluent area, her best option may be to avoid talking about money. Don't bring it up, and if asked, be vague. Affluent moms seem to voluntarily pay more than you'd think to ask for.
d4ldogger

Post by d4ldogger »

We pay 10-12 per hour for 2 kids at minimum. I typically pay a tad more so I can reliably get a sitter on demand, when needed. My sitters regularly turn down dates, nights out, etc to help my family out when asked (even on extremely short notice). For sitters that I really like and always make themselves available when asked... I pay a bit more especially if driving is involved. This has worked for my family and I have a number of sitters I can call on any hour of the day and they will be responsive.
Sam1

Post by Sam1 »

Alexa9 wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 9:34 pm
Sam1 wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 9:33 pm I think for babysitters it’s more the time than the work involved. It means missing out on an evening with friends, schoolwork, their own family etc.
Still way better than most jobs available to unskilled teenagers.
Right but if you’re in an affluent area teens won’t even consider unskilled jobs. I live in an area where most teens are going to college and most have their parents pay for it. They aren’t going to give up an evening with friends for $10 an hour (which is less than minimum wage here).
GCD

Post by GCD »

Spirit Rider wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 8:06 pm What is the point of your post.

People are always trying to jump through hoops to fund a Roth IRA, when it right there in front of them.
Sorry, I was trying to be brief and ended up being unclear. I didn't mean to imply this was felonious conduct. Merely that it seems administrative burdens are a bit excessive these days. That was my only real point in my initial post.There also seems to be a bit of cross posting that occurred. My even briefer edited post may have been more clear, or not. I edited my post a couple times before you replied and somehow you managed to quote my post in a pre-edited form.

I guess my post was just a general lament about the state of bureaucracy in the US today and how I think generating a W-2 for a teenage babysitter is just one more cut in a death by a thousand cuts. The reference to Three Felonies a Day (now deleted) was just an undeveloped reference to how it seems to be impossible to follow the law even when you are a good citizen doing your best to do the right thing. Apparently it cluttered my point.

As someone who has been a bit crazy about funding a kids IRA, I will just note the following. Most of the hoop jumping occurs at the age when the kid really can't legitimately work at much. For instance age 1 when the only legitimate route is baby modeling. As you get into the early teen years (and really, who would hire a pre-teen to be responsible for a younger child?) a number of legitimate options open up. Furthermore, as long as records are kept, the IRS isn't going to give a kid grief over depositing his lawn mowing money into an IRA. No W-2 needed.
Sam1

Post by Sam1 »

Alexa9 wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 9:15 pm $10/hour is reasonable, maybe more if a family friend. To eat pizza and play video games, it's easy money for them unless the kids are pests.
Oh the sad and sexist view that a woman’s work is of course easy.
GCD

Post by GCD »

Sam1 wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 7:26 am
:confused I don't think anyone is equating watching kids for a few hours to the job of parenting or running a household. Are you defining babysitting as women's work? I think babysitting is somewhat different from being a stay-at-home-parent or even working full-time in child care.
Sam1

Post by Sam1 »

GCD wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 7:34 am
:confused I don't think anyone is equating watching kids for a few hours to the job of parenting or running a household. Are you defining babysitting as women's work? I think babysitting is somewhat different from being a stay-at-home-parent or even working full-time in child care.
Unfortunately, most families don’t trust men to watch their children. Men are responsible for too many violent crimes, sexual assaults and child abuse. Until men clean up their act, it will be mostly women who babysit.
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

This sort of babysitting is almost certainly an independent contractor and not a household employee or any sort of W2 employee. We're not talking about a nanny that come by each day for set hours. This is irregular and situational employment, where the provider probably has multiple customers and the customer might have multiple providers. Each job is contracted on an individual basis.

If anything, the customer would need to issue a 1099, but the total amount paid probably doesn't approach that, and since it's personal service maybe not at all.

That doesn't absolve the provider from the necessity to file proper taxes on income, of course.
ETadvisor

Post by ETadvisor »

Snuffycuts99 wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 8:50 pm We're in a LCOL area and pay $10 per hour for our 2 kids.
^ This but I live in MCOL area
Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider »

Earl Lemongrab wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 11:59 am This sort of babysitting is almost certainly an independent contractor and not a household employee or any sort of W2 employee. We're not talking about a nanny that come by each day for set hours. This is irregular and situational employment, where the provider probably has multiple customers and the customer might have multiple providers. Each job is contracted on an individual basis.

If anything, the customer would need to issue a 1099, but the total amount paid probably doesn't approach that, and since it's personal service maybe not at all.

That doesn't absolve the provider from the necessity to file proper taxes on income, of course.
The regularity of works hours is irrelevant to the IC/W-2 classification. There is absolutely no chance that a teenage babysitter meets the Behavioral, Financial and Relationship control requirements to be classified as an IC. The parents have full control of when, what, where and how. The babysitter shows up exactly when and for how long the parents dictate. The parent dictate what the babysitter will do and with what tools (appliances, TV, etc...) of the parents, where (their home) and how (their instructions and their rules).

And why oh why would you want to illegally classify a household employee subject to no payroll taxes and income tax return requirement to an IC paying 15.3% SE tax on a then required tax return if >= $400.

You are 100% wrong on all counts. Why don't you read IRS Publication 926 Household Employer's Tax Guide and IRS Fact Sheet 2007-19 Understanding Employee vs. Contractor Designation
epargnant

Post by epargnant »

I pay $10 an hour for 2-3 kids. High cost of living area but it's usually daughters of family friends. I probably should up it to $15 when it's all 3. But generally they go to bed an hour or two into the time, and then she just gets to watch TV or play on her phone for a couple hours...

I love this post below because 1) it was written by a teenager and 2) it's more clearly written than many articles written by adults
https://www.whitecoatinvestor.com/house ... ds-corner/
Impromptu

Post by Impromptu »

LCOL area. For young teenage babysitters with no experience, we pay $5/hour, especially if we need to provide transportation for them. They often play with our child for about 30-60 minutes, put them to bed (not a battle with this child so far), then they can watch Netflix or Youtube and eat our food until we return home. For a movie night, we are usually gone for around 3 hours, but we round up to 4 because I often only have a $20 in my wallet.

For seniors in highschool with experience, we often pay a bit more, up to $10/hour. They usually have their own transportation.

As a male I occasionally babysat. I just took whatever I was paid.

Soon we will be living near free babysitters, aka grandparents. But we will also be providing them with services like lawnmowing, cooking, cleaning, etc.

Another option is the date night swap. If you are friends with another couple who has children in similar age to yours, you can watch their kids, and they can watch yours. The kids love the playdates. And you can use the money saved for a large popcorn.
I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today.
Luke Duke

Post by Luke Duke »

greg24 wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 10:02 pm
texasdiver wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 12:34 pmBut also play it by ear as this is a relatively affluent area and some of the moms are probably used to paying more.
If you are in a relatively affluent area, her best option may be to avoid talking about money. Don't bring it up, and if asked, be vague. Affluent moms seem to voluntarily pay more than you'd think to ask for.
I agree with this. My nieces do a lot of babysitting and the rich families give them more than they would ever have the guts to ask for.
greg24

Post by greg24 »

Your post is the first one to refer to babysitting as "woman's work". Oh, the irony.
PVW

Post by PVW »

Sam1 wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 7:59 am
GCD wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 7:34 am
Unfortunately, most families don’t trust men to watch their children. Men are responsible for too many violent crimes, sexual assaults and child abuse. Until men clean up their act, it will be mostly women who babysit.
Men have always made up the majority of violent crime perpetrators. The large majority of females in babysitting is a recent phenomenon. Your comments on women's work and male babysitting are sexist.
nolesrule

Post by nolesrule »

We pay $10/hour for our 2 kids plus a large cheese pizza.
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

nolesrule wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 5:07 pm We pay $10/hour for our 2 kids plus a large cheese pizza.
Or $9/hour and a real pizza?