Warning: avoid Windows 10 update 1803

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
User avatar
samsoes
Posts: 876
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:12 am
Location: Northeast Rat Race

Warning: avoid Windows 10 update 1803

Post by samsoes » Fri May 04, 2018 8:53 am

Hello folks,

Just a quick word of warning - if at all possible, decline any way you can this week's major Windows Update (Spring Creator's Update, version 1803). After the multi-hour upgrade affair, I was unable to launch Outlook 2010 (I have gigabytes of mail catagorized and stored in the .pst files), Quicken didn't launch, and the Perfect Privacy VPN app threw errors. Oh, and my fingerprint reader no longer functioned.

Outlook and Quicken would start to come-up, the logos would appear, and then they just "went away" without any error message. After several attempts to run through the Office 2010 repair process and reinstalling Quicken, I gave up and reverted back to the prior build of Windows. All seems to be well, but Outlook is still a little quirky. That, and the Perfect Privacy VPN app are this evening's projects.

I followed the procedure here to block the update for 4 months: https://pureinfotech.com/prevent-window ... date-1803/. Hopefully it will work.

Vent: I've been in software developemnt for decades. If at any job I've held I deployed the unstable garbage that Microsoft routinely releases, I wouldn't have lasted very long in the buisness.

Edit: I have a Dell Latitude E6430
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)

User avatar
FlyAF
Posts: 205
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:14 am

Re: Warning: avoid Windows 10 update 1803

Post by FlyAF » Fri May 04, 2018 9:17 am

I ran the update, no issues.

User avatar
TinyElvis
Posts: 186
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:33 pm

Re: Warning: avoid Windows 10 update 1803

Post by TinyElvis » Fri May 04, 2018 9:20 am

No issues here for both our home and business PCs.

LiterallyIronic
Posts: 827
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:36 am

Re: Warning: avoid Windows 10 update 1803

Post by LiterallyIronic » Fri May 04, 2018 9:20 am

Everyone at work who ran the update can no longer use Photoshop. Images won't save and, if the resolution is too high, they won't even open.

Youngblood
Posts: 506
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:18 am

Re: Warning: avoid Windows 10 update 1803

Post by Youngblood » Fri May 04, 2018 9:23 am

I don't doubt your experience but just wanted to say I updated on 4/30 to 1803 on my five year old HP desktop and everything went so smoothly that I decided to update my Surface pro 4 the next day and that was flawless too.

Quicken works fine but since I don't have Outlook 2010...

At least in your situation they have provided a roll back, right?

YB
"I made my money by selling too soon." | Bernard M. Baruch

ResearchMed
Posts: 7449
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:25 pm

Re: Warning: avoid Windows 10 update 1803

Post by ResearchMed » Fri May 04, 2018 9:26 am

samsoes wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 8:53 am
Hello folks,

Just a quick word of warning - if at all possible, decline any way you can this week's major Windows Update (Spring Creator's Update, version 1803). After the multi-hour upgrade affair, I was unable to launch Outlook 2010 (I have gigabytes of mail catagorized and stored in the .pst files), Quicken didn't launch, and the Perfect Privacy VPN app threw errors. Oh, and my fingerprint reader no longer functioned.

Outlook and Quicken would start to come-up, the logos would appear, and then they just "went away" without any error message. After several attempts to run through the Office 2010 repair process and reinstalling Quicken, I gave up and reverted back to the prior build of Windows. All seems to be well, but Outlook is still a little quirky. That, and the Perfect Privacy VPN app are this evening's projects.

I followed the procedure here to block the update for 4 months: https://pureinfotech.com/prevent-window ... date-1803/. Hopefully it will work.

Vent: I've been in software developemnt for decades. If at any job I've held I deployed the unstable garbage that Microsoft routinely releases, I wouldn't have lasted very long in the buisness.

Edit: I have a Dell Latitude E6430
Alas, your warning is too late (for me).

This update kept cranking and cranking... There had been a warning that it would take (some wording like eons of time) and it sure did. I couldn't tell if it was still working, actually updating/installing, or actually frozen... or worse.
I finally forced a shutdown with the handy-dandy power button.

I held my breath when I powered back on, and it did power up (thank goodness) and then immediately went into the same process, with no way to opt out.
Gulp.
But this time, it was faster, and soon, my actual regular desktop was back, and so were the files (whew).

But I absolutely HATE some of the changes.
(I admit, I usually hate any such change until I figure out how to do even some of the most simple things. Eventually, I forget *most* of the old features I missed, although there are definitely some features from many old versions of Windows that I'd dearly love to be able to opt back into. Maybe I'll come to "like" it. But I'll settle for figuring out how to get all of my regular functions/features to work... in some cases, to find them first...)

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

pshonore
Posts: 6422
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:21 pm

Re: Warning: avoid Windows 10 update 1803

Post by pshonore » Fri May 04, 2018 9:31 am

Windows 10 has tried to update my PC every day for the last several weeks (except for a two week long stretch when I disabled the service). In addition my DVD drive disappeared, but is now back. Its also a real pain if I have Excel files open, because it creates recovery versions on restart

2018-03 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1709 for x64-based Systems (KB4088776) is the culprit

User avatar
Smorgasbord
Posts: 371
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:12 pm

Re: Warning: avoid Windows 10 update 1803

Post by Smorgasbord » Fri May 04, 2018 9:32 am

Nothing specific to that particular update, but Windows 10 really like changing my settings back to default after every stupid update. Luckily, after the 10th time reengaging Loudness Equalization or adjusting the screen overfill I've gotten quite speedy at it. :happy

User avatar
samsoes
Posts: 876
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:12 am
Location: Northeast Rat Race

Re: Warning: avoid Windows 10 update 1803

Post by samsoes » Fri May 04, 2018 9:37 am

LiterallyIronic wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 9:20 am
Everyone at work who ran the update can no longer use Photoshop. Images won't save and, if the resolution is too high, they won't even open.
It's quite brazen of them to force these major upgrades down our throats. I understand the occasional stability fix and security patch, but the involuntary soup-to-nuts replacement of the OS -- which breaks software for which we've paid for -- is inexcusable.

I curse the day I decided to take the "free" upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10.
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)

LiterallyIronic
Posts: 827
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:36 am

Re: Warning: avoid Windows 10 update 1803

Post by LiterallyIronic » Fri May 04, 2018 9:47 am

samsoes wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 9:37 am
LiterallyIronic wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 9:20 am
Everyone at work who ran the update can no longer use Photoshop. Images won't save and, if the resolution is too high, they won't even open.
It's quite brazen of them to force these major upgrades down our throats. I understand the occasional stability fix and security patch, but the involuntary soup-to-nuts replacement of the OS -- which breaks software for which we've paid for -- is inexcusable.

I curse the day I decided to take the "free" upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10.
I only use it at work. On my home machine, they'll have to pry Windows 7 from my cold, dead hands. :twisted:

User avatar
HueyLD
Posts: 6234
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:30 am

Re: Warning: avoid Windows 10 update 1803

Post by HueyLD » Fri May 04, 2018 10:05 am

pshonore wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 9:31 am
Windows 10 has tried to update my PC every day for the last several weeks (except for a two week long stretch when I disabled the service). In addition my DVD drive disappeared, but is now back. Its also a real pain if I have Excel files open, because it creates recovery versions on restart

2018-03 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1709 for x64-based Systems (KB4088776) is the culprit
How do you know that KB4088776 is the culprit?

User avatar
HueyLD
Posts: 6234
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:30 am

Re: Warning: avoid Windows 10 update 1803

Post by HueyLD » Fri May 04, 2018 10:08 am

samsoes wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 9:37 am
I curse the day I decided to take the "free" upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10.
I have problems with Win 7 also. I kept getting a request to update even though the same file has been installed several times.

pshonore
Posts: 6422
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:21 pm

Re: Warning: avoid Windows 10 update 1803

Post by pshonore » Fri May 04, 2018 10:11 am

HueyLD wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 10:05 am
pshonore wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 9:31 am
Windows 10 has tried to update my PC every day for the last several weeks (except for a two week long stretch when I disabled the service). In addition my DVD drive disappeared, but is now back. Its also a real pain if I have Excel files open, because it creates recovery versions on restart

2018-03 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1709 for x64-based Systems (KB4088776) is the culprit
How do you know that KB4088776 is the culprit?
Update center indicates "require a restart to finish installing" for that update.

User avatar
HueyLD
Posts: 6234
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:30 am

Re: Warning: avoid Windows 10 update 1803

Post by HueyLD » Fri May 04, 2018 10:17 am

Have you installed their April Win 10 updates? The April updates may fix the March update problems.

blmarsha123
Posts: 141
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:23 pm

Re: Warning: avoid Windows 10 update 1803

Post by blmarsha123 » Fri May 04, 2018 10:21 am

Some of the applets (Mail, Money, Weather) no longer work after the update on my 8 year old HP desktop. Fortunately, Outlook 2016 (and the other Office 2016 apps) are still working. The only other downside that I have noticed so far is increased memory utilization, from roughly 30% on average to now close to 50% (as reported by Task Manager).

I was planning to replace the desktop with a new Windows laptop soon. Now starting to rethink Windows and maybe switching to a Macbook.

02nz
Posts: 528
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:17 pm

Re: Warning: avoid Windows 10 update 1803

Post by 02nz » Fri May 04, 2018 10:24 am

No issues here on three PCs (HP ProBook, Intel NUC, and Dell Inspiron) that have updated to 1803.

rantk81
Posts: 131
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:12 am

Re: Warning: avoid Windows 10 update 1803

Post by rantk81 » Fri May 04, 2018 10:37 am

@OP I'm sorry you had some issues with the update.

My experience with it has been good thus far. The update has fixed a couple of annoying issues I was dealing with ever since the last major update.

Case59
Posts: 104
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:31 pm

Re: Warning: avoid Windows 10 update 1803

Post by Case59 » Fri May 04, 2018 10:40 am

It is indeed true that once you try Mac, you never go back.
"Most quotations on the internet are incorrect."-Mark Twain

User avatar
samsoes
Posts: 876
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:12 am
Location: Northeast Rat Race

Re: Warning: avoid Windows 10 update 1803

Post by samsoes » Fri May 04, 2018 10:55 am

HueyLD wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 10:17 am
Have you installed their April Win 10 updates? The April updates may fix the March update problems.
What was installed was pushed on Tues, May 1. It was labeled "1803." Hopefully there will be chaser updates.

Edit:typo
Last edited by samsoes on Sun May 06, 2018 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)

User avatar
samsoes
Posts: 876
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:12 am
Location: Northeast Rat Race

Re: Warning: avoid Windows 10 update 1803

Post by samsoes » Fri May 04, 2018 11:00 am

HueyLD wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 10:08 am
samsoes wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 9:37 am
I curse the day I decided to take the "free" upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10.
I have problems with Win 7 also. I kept getting a request to update even though the same file has been installed several times.
With a W7 machine, you can always reinstall it from the system DVD. A pain, I know, but it's an option. Those of us who upgraded to W10 dont have that option - the W7 license on my system DVD was invalidated shortly after I upgraded to W10.
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)

User avatar
DaftInvestor
Posts: 4064
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:11 am

Re: Warning: avoid Windows 10 update 1803

Post by DaftInvestor » Fri May 04, 2018 11:04 am

Case59 wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 10:40 am
It is indeed true that once you try Mac, you never go back.
False. Not very everyone. I had more problems with Macs that I have with Windows. We have nearly fully moved everything back to Windows PCs and Laptops in my house - one remaining MacAir (last troubleshooting exercise I had to do was on this Mac - for some reason - after an update - all non-iTunes purchased imported MP3 files were removed from the iTunes library on the machine - had to recover everything from a backup).
We had more problems with Macs than we ever had with Windows - Spinning-Wheel-of-Death, etc.
Plus - many don't like to double their spend for the same amount of performance.

Additionally - I work for a company where people have a choice between a windows machine and an apple mac. A high percentage of people that move to Mac at my company move back.

User avatar
Doom&Gloom
Posts: 2291
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 3:36 pm

Re: Warning: avoid Windows 10 update 1803

Post by Doom&Gloom » Fri May 04, 2018 11:40 am

No issues here on my PC other than a couple of initial minor annoyances that I have already adjusted to or forgotten.

CppCoder
Posts: 841
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:16 pm

Re: Warning: avoid Windows 10 update 1803

Post by CppCoder » Fri May 04, 2018 11:55 am

pshonore wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 9:31 am
Windows 10 has tried to update my PC every day for the last several weeks (except for a two week long stretch when I disabled the service). In addition my DVD drive disappeared, but is now back. Its also a real pain if I have Excel files open, because it creates recovery versions on restart

2018-03 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1709 for x64-based Systems (KB4088776) is the culprit
I just fixed my wife's laptop stuck in a 1709 update infinite loop. My recommendation is to follow the instructions here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... ate-errors

I had to get to Step 7 before the fix worked. Step 7 is an in-place upgrade of the operating system. Step 8 is a clean Window 10 install. Our agreed upon Step 9 was to install Linux. I proposed that as Step 1, but it's not my computer :happy.

darrvao777
Posts: 196
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:34 pm

Re: Warning: avoid Windows 10 update 1803

Post by darrvao777 » Fri May 04, 2018 12:00 pm

Case59 wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 10:40 am
It is indeed true that once you try Mac, you never go back.
Same. A windows 10 update borked my computer (never should have accepted the offer to upgrade for free from windows 7) and now will only use Mac

I do hate their phones though and prefer android

blmarsha123
Posts: 141
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:23 pm

Re: Warning: avoid Windows 10 update 1803

Post by blmarsha123 » Fri May 04, 2018 4:08 pm

Didn't mean to turn the thread into Apple vs Microsoft.

I should have mentioned that after the last big Windows 10 update (Fall 2017), my PC was down sometimes several times a day, and had issues booting because of the display driver. Now I should also mention that my PC is not officially supported by Windows 10 (at least the display driver isn't), but surprisingly, there were no issues during the initial upgrade to Windows 10 and running, updating went flawlessly until that Fall update. Any now again, Spring update, a different set of issues. But at least not yet, no major rebooting or display problems like last time.

User avatar
lthenderson
Posts: 3518
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:43 pm
Location: Iowa

Re: Warning: avoid Windows 10 update 1803

Post by lthenderson » Fri May 04, 2018 5:27 pm

darrvao777 wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 12:00 pm
Case59 wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 10:40 am
It is indeed true that once you try Mac, you never go back.
Same. A windows 10 update borked my computer (never should have accepted the offer to upgrade for free from windows 7) and now will only use Mac

I do hate their phones though and prefer android
I'm quite the opposite. Love their phones, hate their computers.

To the OP, I did the update and had no issues with Quicken or anything else for that matter. I don't do Outlook.

123
Posts: 3820
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:55 pm

Re: Warning: avoid Windows 10 update 1803

Post by 123 » Fri May 04, 2018 5:38 pm

I updated three different home Dell Desktops (Windows 10 Pro) with update 1803 in the last couple of days. These desktops vary from 1 to 7 years old. All updated successfully the first time with no problems observed so far. Update took awhile, ranged from 3 to 9 hours between download and install. That poor machine up in the mancave had to struggle with the download over a poor wifi connection but even that worked the first time through.

I might add that this is the first time I've gotten 3 machines to successfully update on the first attempt with one of these major updates.

YMMV.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

User avatar
mrc
Posts: 1219
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:39 am

Re: Warning: avoid Windows 10 update 1803

Post by mrc » Fri May 04, 2018 5:40 pm

DaftInvestor wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 11:04 am
Case59 wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 10:40 am
It is indeed true that once you try Mac, you never go back.
False. Not very everyone. I had more problems with Macs that I have with Windows. We have nearly fully moved everything back to Windows PCs and Laptops in my house - one remaining MacAir (last troubleshooting exercise I had to do was on this Mac - for some reason - after an update - all non-iTunes purchased imported MP3 files were removed from the iTunes library on the machine - had to recover everything from a backup).
We had more problems with Macs than we ever had with Windows - Spinning-Wheel-of-Death, etc.
Plus - many don't like to double their spend for the same amount of performance.

Additionally - I work for a company where people have a choice between a windows machine and an apple mac. A high percentage of people that move to Mac at my company move back.
Root cause of that in two shops that I know of: Windows sysadmins/network admin.

Macs just don't work like Windoze machines, especially in a corporate network.

Mac isolates the OS from user files much better than windows.
If it’s not long term it’s small talk

User avatar
mrc
Posts: 1219
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:39 am

Re: Warning: avoid Windows 10 update 1803

Post by mrc » Fri May 04, 2018 5:40 pm

mrc wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 5:40 pm
DaftInvestor wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 11:04 am
Case59 wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 10:40 am
It is indeed true that once you try Mac, you never go back.
False. Not very everyone. I had more problems with Macs that I have with Windows. We have nearly fully moved everything back to Windows PCs and Laptops in my house - one remaining MacAir (last troubleshooting exercise I had to do was on this Mac - for some reason - after an update - all non-iTunes purchased imported MP3 files were removed from the iTunes library on the machine - had to recover everything from a backup).
We had more problems with Macs than we ever had with Windows - Spinning-Wheel-of-Death, etc.
Plus - many don't like to double their spend for the same amount of performance.

Additionally - I work for a company where people have a choice between a windows machine and an apple mac. A high percentage of people that move to Mac at my company move back.
OK: Everyone but one.

Root cause of that in two shops that I know of: Windows sysadmins/network admin.

Macs just don't work like Windoze machines, especially in a corporate network.

Mac isolates the OS from user files much better than windows.
If it’s not long term it’s small talk

User avatar
oldcomputerguy
Posts: 3444
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:50 am
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods

Re: Warning: avoid Windows 10 update 1803

Post by oldcomputerguy » Fri May 04, 2018 5:49 pm

blmarsha123 wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 4:08 pm
Didn't mean to turn the thread into Apple vs Microsoft.
That’s okay. I don’t use either.
:wink:
It’s taken me a lot of years, but I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people. And if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you.

User avatar
Watty
Posts: 14364
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:55 pm

Re: Warning: avoid Windows 10 update 1803

Post by Watty » Fri May 04, 2018 6:15 pm

When people talk about black swans one of the things I have thought of was a bad Windows update that bricks a couple of hundred million computers.

User avatar
Ricola
Posts: 644
Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:38 am

Re: Warning: avoid Windows 10 update 1803

Post by Ricola » Fri May 04, 2018 6:22 pm

pshonore wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 9:31 am
Windows 10 has tried to update my PC every day for the last several weeks (except for a two week long stretch when I disabled the service). In addition my DVD drive disappeared, but is now back. Its also a real pain if I have Excel files open, because it creates recovery versions on restart

2018-03 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1709 for x64-based Systems (KB4088776) is the culprit
Same problem here. Reported issue to MS, still no fix. I am not going to go through the 10 step nonsense and end up bricking my PC. It will just have to keep trying to update every day, and I will end up with an automatic restart daily.

User avatar
DaftInvestor
Posts: 4064
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:11 am

Re: Warning: avoid Windows 10 update 1803

Post by DaftInvestor » Fri May 04, 2018 6:32 pm

mrc wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 5:40 pm
mrc wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 5:40 pm
DaftInvestor wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 11:04 am
Case59 wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 10:40 am
It is indeed true that once you try Mac, you never go back.
False. Not very everyone. I had more problems with Macs that I have with Windows. We have nearly fully moved everything back to Windows PCs and Laptops in my house - one remaining MacAir (last troubleshooting exercise I had to do was on this Mac - for some reason - after an update - all non-iTunes purchased imported MP3 files were removed from the iTunes library on the machine - had to recover everything from a backup).
We had more problems with Macs than we ever had with Windows - Spinning-Wheel-of-Death, etc.
Plus - many don't like to double their spend for the same amount of performance.

Additionally - I work for a company where people have a choice between a windows machine and an apple mac. A high percentage of people that move to Mac at my company move back.
OK: Everyone but one.

Root cause of that in two shops that I know of: Windows sysadmins/network admin.

Macs just don't work like Windoze machines, especially in a corporate network.

Mac isolates the OS from user files much better than windows.
Anytime a windows thread starts you can count on the Mac fans to jump in given the need to justify why they are spending twice the price for the same performance. :)

tibbitts
Posts: 8050
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:50 pm

Re: Warning: avoid Windows 10 update 1803

Post by tibbitts » Fri May 04, 2018 6:37 pm

I had trouble with a previous cumulative update on Win10 and had to reinstall. I tried the cumulative update (from last fall I think - the one after the Creators Update, I think.)

This update went without incident on the 2 computers I attempted it on - just slowly.

Not updating is not a practical option.

meebers
Posts: 283
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:20 pm
Location: Florida

Re: Warning: avoid Windows 10 update 1803

Post by meebers » Fri May 04, 2018 7:53 pm


Anytime a windows thread starts you can count on the Mac fans to jump in given the need to justify why they are spending twice the price for the same performance. :)
True, have not see Linux folks jump in....yet. Just finished my 3rd computer to 1803 without any issues at all. Last one being a very old lappy with 32GB emc drive and 2 GB of ram. Been dealing with 1803 for about a month now, as an MS insider. A lot of folks there are "tecky" and a certain percentage have problems time after time with updates, while others have little to no problems. Whats the reason?? I dont know, but I think hardware has a lot to do with it? as well as the operator. 1803 itself has no major problems, bugs here and there else there would not be so many people using it without issue. For non insiders, the second update after 1803 was released to insiders is causing a lot of problems so far. We get new updates once per week, so the LESSON is to backup, backup, backup YMMV :)

madbrain
Posts: 5126
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:06 pm
Location: San Jose, California

Re: Warning: avoid Windows 10 update 1803

Post by madbrain » Sat May 05, 2018 4:58 am

meebers wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 7:53 pm
I dont know, but I think hardware has a lot to do with it? as well as the operator.
Yes, you are right on both counts. There is just about an infinity of possible PC hardware combinations. It's not possible for Microsoft to test them all, and expect their updates to work. They should not be forced.

It's definitely operator error. The operator of the updates in this case is Microsoft.

I had major problems with update 1709 already last year. Took me months to figure out that the update modified the ACPI driver for my motherboard and installed one that was incompatible. The result ? It was impossible to either put the machine to sleep, or shut it down ! The only option that worked was holding off the power button for 5 seconds to turn it off . Talk about a ridiculous problem !

Fast forward to this week. The boot drive in my main PC crashed and burned. I don't know if it's related to this latest update or not. I do know that neither of the two SSDs in my RAID array are bad, from having pulled them out and fully tested them in another machine. The RAM in the machine is also perfectly fine, from running memtest.

I have 4 sets of backups. So far in 48 hours, I haven't been able to restore the boot volume to the RAID volume with the two SSDs with Acronis. Restore to a single SSD in non-RAID mode works. Back to the original RAID volume (same controller, motherboard, and actual same drives) - doesn't work. Not happy about this at all. Not sure exactly who is at fault yet for the crashing. Certainly Acronis is at fault for not being able to restore - failing equally badly from the Linux boot media or WinPE boot media. Sigh.

IlliniDave
Posts: 2294
Joined: Fri May 17, 2013 7:09 am

Re: Warning: avoid Windows 10 update 1803

Post by IlliniDave » Sat May 05, 2018 5:15 am

I don't know if I had this update or not. Other than the annoyance of some of the updates being extremely long and their propensity to happen only when I am in a hurry to do something, I haven't had any update problems. But it my be significant that my laptop was built as a Windows 8 machine and that may make it somewhat more compatible with Windows 10 hardware-wise than older machines.
Don't do something. Just stand there!

User avatar
Sheepdog
Posts: 5184
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:05 pm
Location: Indiana, retired 1998 at age 65

Re: Warning: avoid Windows 10 update 1803

Post by Sheepdog » Sat May 05, 2018 5:54 am

I have 2 computers...Would you believe I never have any problems? One is a Windows 7 and the other is on Windows XP which is in a 2002 year model Dell used almost daily for 16 years. And, the latter has not had any updates available for years. The doom and gloom stories of continuing to use it have never occurred. It is hard to convince some old men, you know. :P
It's not what you gather, but what you scatter which tells what kind of life you have lived---Helen Walton

jerryk68
Posts: 132
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:56 pm

Re: Warning: avoid Windows 10 update 1803

Post by jerryk68 » Sat May 05, 2018 6:56 am

I am having trouble with this update on my Acer Travelmate B computer that is duel booted with Linux Mint. So far the grub, speakers and wifi are disabled. I haven't totally recovered yet, hopefully sometime today. I have been a faithful MS product user until I can't get something to work usually because of one of their updates then I turn to alternatives. I turned to Linux ten years or so ago because I couldn't get a previous laptop's wifi to work correctly only to continue using Linux. Now the same thing. I wonder if MS really tests their updates before putting them out because I keep winning the screw-up lottery. My refurbished iphone 5s that I bought three years ago just keeps plugging along update after update without an issue. Dare I say it, I may now become an Apple fan-boy.

rgs92
Posts: 2228
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:00 pm

Re: Warning: avoid Windows 10 update 1803

Post by rgs92 » Sat May 05, 2018 7:05 am

I just checked and I have Windows 1709 (in Windows 10). I usually let Windows do its thing with updates but it has never tried to give me anything beyond this. (Just sharing my info here in case it add to the discussion...)

I went to this Microsoft link about Windows versions and I'm not sure what it all means:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/itpro/w ... nformation

Perhaps someone could explain this...
Last edited by rgs92 on Sat May 05, 2018 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
F150HD
Posts: 1642
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:49 pm

Re: Warning: avoid Windows 10 update 1803

Post by F150HD » Sat May 05, 2018 7:06 am

DaftInvestor wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 6:32 pm
Anytime a windows thread starts you can count on the Mac fans to jump in given the need to justify why they are spending twice the price for the same performance. :)
Twice the price and no ethernet port on many machines....fatal flaw IMO. :happy

Silk McCue
Posts: 1324
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:11 pm

Re: Warning: avoid Windows 10 update 1803

Post by Silk McCue » Sat May 05, 2018 7:20 am

rgs92 wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 7:05 am
I just checked and I have Windows 1709 (in Windows 10). I usually let Windows do its thing with updates but it has never tried to give me anything beyond this. (Just sharing my info here in case it add to the discussion...)

I went to this Microsoft link about Windows versions and I'm not sure what it all means:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/itpro/w ... nformation

Perhaps someone could explain this...
I have a Surface Pro and am currently on 1709 and my system has no update pending. The link below provides Windows release information.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/itpro/w ... nformation

Cheers

drwtsn32
Posts: 125
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:28 pm

Re: Warning: avoid Windows 10 update 1803

Post by drwtsn32 » Sat May 05, 2018 7:49 am

No issues here... upgraded to 1803 without problems. I use Outlook 2013 extensively and also Quicken (latest version).

golfer292
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:40 am

Re: Warning: avoid Windows 10 update 1803

Post by golfer292 » Sat May 05, 2018 8:31 am

HueyLD wrote: ↑Fri May 04, 2018 11:08 am
samsoes wrote: ↑Fri May 04, 2018 10:37 am
I curse the day I decided to take the "free" upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10.
I have problems with Win 7 also. I kept getting a request to update even though the same file has been installed several times.
With a W7 machine, you can always reinstall it from the system DVD. A pain, I know, but it's an option. Those of us who upgraded to W10 dont have that option - the W7 license on my system DVD was invalidated shortly after I upgraded to W10.

I upgraded to W10 back when it was offered for free. and have reinstalled twice since using the method below. You have a choice of clean install or keeping files. I did clean install both times. Its my understanding that you don't need a reinstall disk with license key. If you did the free upgrade you have a digital license which is recognized during the reinstall process. Good luck

1. Reset computer to reinstall Windows 10 without CD
This method is available when your PC can still boot properly. Being capable of solving most system problems, it won't be different from a clean install of Windows 10 via an installation CD.
1) Go to Start > Settings > Update & Security > Recovery.
2) Under Reset this PC option, tap Get Started.
3) Choose Remove everything and then choose Remove files and clean the drive.
3) Finally, click Reset to begin reinstalling Windows 10.

User avatar
whr19606
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:50 am

Re: Warning: avoid Windows 10 update 1803

Post by whr19606 » Sat May 05, 2018 8:32 am

Years ago we got tired of Windows security flaws, constant updates that never work as planned, and slow performance. Now we have a 3 year old MAC Mini and a 9 year old MacBookPro. Never had any issues. Am always happy that we paid a little more for computers that work smoothly and efficiently, provide much better performance, and are so much more secure. You get what you pay for.

User avatar
oldcomputerguy
Posts: 3444
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:50 am
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods

Re: Warning: avoid Windows 10 update 1803

Post by oldcomputerguy » Sat May 05, 2018 8:33 am

DaftInvestor wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 6:32 pm
Anytime a windows thread starts you can count on the Mac fans to jump in given the need to justify why they are spending twice the price for the same performance. :)
Or perhaps twice the price for twice the reliability?
:wink:
It’s taken me a lot of years, but I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people. And if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you.

squirm
Posts: 1479
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:53 am

Re: Warning: avoid Windows 10 update 1803

Post by squirm » Sat May 05, 2018 9:13 am

Apple has total control of the hardware and of course their operating system...and everything in between.

I have a Surface, no problem with the update.

I think one issue with Windows side of things is the huge variety of computer makers, boards etc. Although I have used Macs in the past, I'd never go back.

drwtsn32
Posts: 125
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:28 pm

Re: Warning: avoid Windows 10 update 1803

Post by drwtsn32 » Sat May 05, 2018 9:24 am

Every damn time the Apple fanboys can't resist evangelizing....sigh

skepticalobserver
Posts: 934
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:29 am

Re: Warning: avoid Windows 10 update 1803

Post by skepticalobserver » Sat May 05, 2018 9:27 am

Long download and installation. All the programs seem to work OK. If there's a problem you can rollback back to the previous Win 10 version, http://www.thewindowsclub.com/rollback- ... ors-update

sksbog
Posts: 217
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:14 pm

Re: Warning: avoid Windows 10 update 1803

Post by sksbog » Sat May 05, 2018 10:43 am

I never decline updates. If they break something next update would fix it. Keep your backups upto date and always update on time.

Every update makes your PC stronger and more secure, in general.

19 years in IT and counting...

Post Reply