Bucket List Adventures/Activities

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
halfnine

Re: Bucket List Adventures/Activities

Post by halfnine » Fri May 04, 2018 4:35 pm

I'll add one that hasn't shown up yet....zero gravity

Bfwolf

Post by Bfwolf » Fri May 04, 2018 5:12 pm

Great thread, and I've enjoyed reading others' bucket lists...some I've done, some I want to do, and some I've never even considered but sound intriguing!

Some things on my bucket list I've already accomplished:

I've been to Europe many times, but my first trip when I was 21 was a big bucket list item for me. I'd never been out of the country before.

Attending a soccer match between my favorite English Premier League team and their arch-rival.

Trekking to see mountain gorillas in Uganda.

Safari in Tanzania.

Swimming with whale sharks.

Some items still on my list:

The Galapagos

Attend all 4 tennis Grand Slams (I'm only at the US Open now, but am seeing the French next month).

Tour New Zealand

See many more national parks, especially the Grand Canyon (which I'm doing in October!)

Kiter

Post by Kiter » Fri May 04, 2018 5:24 pm

Bike up Haleakala from Paia to summit,Do a few Maliko runs in a OC-1, Kitesurf Cape town,Essaouira and Mauritius,Ski the Powder Highway in BC.Ski tour Chamonix ,Visit and hike Bhutan and Iceland , visit No. Europe. :sharebeer

invst65

Post by invst65 » Fri May 04, 2018 7:09 pm

Try to avoid kicking the bucket too soon but don't stress out about it. It will come soon enough.

Freefun

Post by Freefun » Fri May 04, 2018 7:13 pm

Buy a 1992 mustang gt 5.0 convertible again. Drive across the country with it.
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?

Lynette

Post by Lynette » Fri May 04, 2018 7:43 pm

I have visited most of the places I really want to see. I likely went overseas five times a year for 20 years. I have also seen a great deal of the USA. At the moment, I'm really enjoying studying at a community college. Last semester I did Spanish and photography, web design in the summer and then Spanish and photography again in the Fall. I intend to take classes at a community college in 2019 as well. I may go and live in some country to really become fluent. Other activities have been fixing up my house and garden. Plumbers here today putting in a drain from the driveway to the catch basin at the end of my property. Only one more contractor required then I have to fix up the garden.

GCD

Post by GCD » Fri May 04, 2018 8:19 pm

I've already been to all 50 states, but my wife hasn't. So we will be checking off all 50 together.

For myself personally:
- Get a PhD in Astronomy and discover something interesting with the slew of publicly accessible data
- Ramp up my fitness and pass the USMC fitness test for a guy progressively younger and see how low I can get
- Earn a CMP Distinguished Pistol Badge

Jointly with my wife:
- Get certified as a sommelier (more than the 2 week vanity cert, but less than the 2 year CIA cert)
- Learn to sail and do bareboat leases for 2-3 months at a time in various "islandy" places during the mild weather season
- Do a lot of traveling in a 5th wheel, especially to see friends
- Hike the Pacific Northwest Trail, Pacific Crest Trail, North Country Trail, and Appalachian Trail. (I don't plan on carrying anything, my wife and I will use llamas).
- Viking Cruises "Ultimate World Cruise"

Everything else is actually a bucket list of things I want to teach my kids. That list is much longer. Most of my bucket list will have to wait because my kids are 13 & 15 and I don't have much time to teach them all the stuff on my list before they leave for college.

Cycle

Post by Cycle » Fri May 04, 2018 8:47 pm

I enjoy hiking, and would like to hike the Goat Trail in Wrangell St Elias national park. I'd also like to hike to K2 and everest basecamps. I'd also like to spend a couple months climbing in the cordillera blanca, as I've already been a few times and love the area.

And learn esperanto.

Traveler

Post by Traveler » Fri May 04, 2018 11:58 pm

alex_686 wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 2:38 pm
TheTimeLord wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 9:21 am
Big fan of Yosemite and Yellowstone. Really want to see Glacier and the Utah Canyon lands.
Iceland is on my bucket list. Like Yellowstone and Glacier, lots of geothermic areas and glaciers.
I drove the ring road by myself a couple years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm heading to the Azores this month and expect it to be similar in some ways, with geothermal characteristics but no glaciers of course.

BanditKing

Post by BanditKing » Sat May 05, 2018 1:02 am

A few years ago I did Adult Space Camp with my father (who was 72 at the time). We road-tripped from Madison, WI over two days both directions, plus 4 days at Space Camp. If anyone here is a NASA nerd like me (and my dad), I recommend it. Do the 4-day camp rather than the 3-day one. Very affordable. Was a great one to check off my list.

A few others:
  • The Lord of the Rings tour in New Zealand
  • Watch a Falcon Heavy Launch with the booster return
  • Watch a launch of the SpaceX BFR, too
  • Train from San Francisco to Seattle, and then roadtrip back (or vice versa)
  • Spend 6 months travelling the country with a camper - seeing things
  • See an active volcano (should be in Hawaii right now it seems!)
  • Devils Tower, WY
  • Take a long cruise in a warm place on a relaxed boat
  • See Mayan ruins
  • Finish my novel(s) - I have several in various stages of completion
  • NOTHING - by this I mean - just have no everyday cares for a while - no bills, no work or responsibilities or worries about money. Just be and have not a care.

Townline Lake

Post by Townline Lake » Sun May 06, 2018 11:31 am

A couple of additional ideas on places to see

Canoe trip in Boundary Waters Minnesota
Walleye fishing at resort in northern Ontario
Mackinac Island
Isle Royale National Park
Door county and Washington Island Wisconsin
Apostle Islands Wisconsin

So many places to see in US and Canada

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Sun May 06, 2018 12:18 pm

goodlifer wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 11:19 am
I want to see the Galapagos, the northern lights, and Antarctica. We are planning on Europe next summer, so might as well stop in Iceland. If I don't see the lights there and actually get to Antarctica, I will count the aurora australis as filling my "northern lights" needs.
I believe that because of the very long days in Iceland in summer, almost no night in fact, that you would be unlikely to see Northern Lights in Iceland in summer?

It is an amazing place, raw and elemental and I recommend it in summer otherwise (really need at least a week to do it properly
).

JHU ALmuni

Post by JHU ALmuni » Sun May 06, 2018 7:33 pm

Visit Europe and South American countries. Land in one country and travel around by car/train to the remaining countries.

TBillT

Post by TBillT » Sun May 06, 2018 7:45 pm

I want to go up Washington Monument.
Seems like a cliche but it's been closed so much since the 2011 earthquake, I may have procrastinated too long.
I live close too.
Yellowstone is a favorite but been there twice already.

remomnyc

Post by remomnyc » Sun May 06, 2018 9:59 pm

I travel a lot and often. My bucket list would be a little different.

I want to get back in fighting shape.
I want to live abroad.
I want to master another language.
I want to visit all the friends I don't get to see regularly.

Glockenspiel

Post by Glockenspiel » Sun May 06, 2018 10:15 pm

-Grand Canyon
-Glacier NP
-Yellowstone NP
-San Fransisco/Alcatraz/Muir Woods/ Pacific Coast Hwy
-Iceland
-Boundary Waters Canoe Trip (MN) w my son
-England/Ireland
-African Safari
-Macchu Piccu
-Galapagos Islands
-Australia
-Kauai

Glockenspiel

Post by Glockenspiel » Sun May 06, 2018 10:16 pm

TBillT wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 7:45 pm
I want to go up Washington Monument.
Seems like a cliche but it's been closed so much since the 2011 earthquake, I may have procrastinated too long.
I live close too.
Yellowstone is a favorite but been there twice already.
I was IN Washington DC for a visit in 2011 and went to the top of the Washington Monument the day before the earthquake. Crazy that it has been closed so frequently since then.

Trader/Investor

Post by Trader/Investor » Sun May 06, 2018 10:25 pm

runner3081 wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 2:11 pm
Interesting to see what people have on their list.

For me? I don't really have a bucket list.
And I thought I was the only one not into bucket lists. All I do and all I want to do till the day I pass is hike in KY, TN, and NC. Did the western hiking thing when I lived out west in Reno. A tidbit few are aware of is that Kentucky has more arches than any states but Utah and Arizona. And there are still more to be discovered if you venture far off trail and the beaten path. And nothing more exciting, at least to me, than discovering new caves.

jodydavis

Post by jodydavis » Sun May 06, 2018 11:50 pm

To Do:
Greek Islands
Thailand Islands
Yangshuo, China
Halong Bay, Vietnam
Tour Mont Blanc

Scheduled:
Raft the Grand Canyon

Done:
Angkor Wat
Tikal
Machu Picchu
Galapagos
Bali
Great Wall
Tokyo/Kyoto/Nara
Zion Narrows

SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy » Mon May 07, 2018 12:15 am

Trader/Investor wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 10:25 pm
runner3081 wrote:

And I thought I was the only one not into bucket lists.
+1. I'd be interested to know people's bucket list failures - they've left it too late.

catdude

Post by catdude » Mon May 07, 2018 12:29 am

I just want to echo the folks upthread who mentioned total solar eclipses. I saw the one last August, and it was a truly wondrous thing to see. Definitely put it on your bucket list and do what you have to do to see one. I think the next one for the U.S. mainland is in 2023 or 2024.
catdude | | The only thing between North Dakota and the North Pole is a barbed-wire fence.

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Mon May 07, 2018 4:56 am

TheTimeLord wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 9:17 am
I would enjoy hearing more about touring coastal Maine and lobster roll stands.
I have been here... http://www.redseatsmaine.com/

Youtube: Red's Eats - Wiscasset, ME (Phantom Gourmet)

Only problem is....then you drive up and down the coast 'trying' each spot at $25 a pop! But, well worth it IMO. :happy

TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord » Mon May 07, 2018 8:19 am

F150HD wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 4:56 am
TheTimeLord wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 9:17 am
I would enjoy hearing more about touring coastal Maine and lobster roll stands.
I have been here... http://www.redseatsmaine.com/

Youtube: Red's Eats - Wiscasset, ME (Phantom Gourmet)

Only problem is....then you drive up and down the coast 'trying' each spot at $25 a pop! But, well worth it IMO. :happy
That is the definition of money well spent imo.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]

Glockenspiel

Post by Glockenspiel » Mon May 07, 2018 8:58 am

catdude wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 12:29 am
I just want to echo the folks upthread who mentioned total solar eclipses. I saw the one last August, and it was a truly wondrous thing to see. Definitely put it on your bucket list and do what you have to do to see one. I think the next one for the U.S. mainland is in 2023 or 2024.
I regret not making the 5-6 hour drive to see it. I just saw the partial eclipse without fully understanding how wondrous a total solar eclipse is. It looks like I'll have to travel to Indiana on April 8, 2024 to see the next one.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Mon May 07, 2018 9:30 am

Glockenspiel wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 8:58 am

I regret not making the 5-6 hour drive to see it. I just saw the partial eclipse without fully understanding how wondrous a total solar eclipse is. It looks like I'll have to travel to Indiana on April 8, 2024 to see the next one.
You can view a total solar eclipse in South America in 2019, and again in 2020.

flyingaway

Post by flyingaway » Mon May 07, 2018 9:31 am

I think I no longer have a bucket list, I just do whatever is convenient to do at that time. Nothing that I have to see, or not see.
This year, I have already used 9 pages of my passport, visited many countries.

Glockenspiel

Post by Glockenspiel » Mon May 07, 2018 9:38 am

neilpilot wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 9:30 am
Glockenspiel wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 8:58 am

You can view a total solar eclipse in South America in 2019, and again in 2020.
I don't think my wife is going to go for a $6,000 trip to see a total eclipse. I'm hoping the kids are old enough that I'll be able to convince her to travel the 8 hours by car, or 1.5 hours by flight, for the educational experience for the kids, for the 2024 eclipse. It's relatively close to Chicago, so maybe we'll make an Indianapolis/Bloomington trip for the Eclipse and Chicago combined trip.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Mon May 07, 2018 10:03 am

DW and I are photographers and outdoors explorers.

Highpoints of our very long list.
1. Move to a mini ranch surrounded by at least 4 National Forests and 1000's of sq. miles of free outdoor lands to roam and explore. (done and doing weekly)
2. Get something like the "Roadtrek that "Toons" has" and travel USA, Canada, etc. for photo journalism, etc.
3. Travel throughout Southeast Asia and Asia, then Europe, Italy, etc, for photo journalism and fun. (often)
4. Nat Geo has a round the world private jet tours and private photo tours.
5. Hot air balloom. Never done it. Love heights.
6. Historic WWII aircraft flights.

aloha
j :D

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Mon May 07, 2018 10:05 am

SrGrumpy wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 12:15 am
Trader/Investor wrote:
runner3081 wrote:

+1. I'd be interested to know people's bucket list failures - they've left it too late.
Planned to play all the most famous golf courses around the world.
Too late. Spine can no longer tolerate much golf.
Shucks.
j

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Mon May 07, 2018 10:59 am

SrGrumpy wrote:

Since I started flying in the early 70s, a flight over the north Atlantic to Europe was high on my list. I crossed this one off my list in 2015.

We vacation in Europe every year, but always fly commercial. When I retired my schedule suddenly allowed for the additional transit time that a small plane flight would require. Unfortunately the cost has increased significantly since the EU was formed due to expensive minimum liability insurance limits.

SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy » Mon May 07, 2018 12:23 pm

Sandtrap wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 10:05 am
SrGrumpy wrote:

Shucks.
j
My grandmother was well traveled throughout Australia and North America - back in the day when respectable people took Greyhound - but never Europe. When she finally went there, an 80-something widow with a tour group, she broke her leg on an uneven footpath in Paris on the 3rd day and had to be flown home (thanks to travel insurance). No more foreign travel for her. I'm not even sure she saw the Mona Lisa.

snackdog

Post by snackdog » Mon May 07, 2018 1:05 pm

I guess we are getting old (50) and boring but we sort of side with Carl from "An Idiot Abroad" who considers most of the Wonders not so Wonderful in person as they are in the brochure. Nice reading the lists but nothing really grabbed my attention. We have enjoyed most of the US including national parks, HI and AK, Canada, Mexico, Brazil, Argentina, Chile, Peru, the Amazon, Australia, Tasmania, New Zealand, southeast Asia, Japan, Korea, Antarctica, Africa, Dubai, Western Europe, Russia, etc. We kind of hate crowds and touristy things at this stage. There is also the BS element of most tours, hotels, resorts and cruises which grates on us. Just are just back from an all-inclusive Ecoresort in the Atlantic Rainforest of Brazil and it was semi-wretched. I think we are more do-it-yourselfers.

Anyhow, not on our list so far and not likely to be added, are the Middle-East, Central Asia, Caribbean and minor Pacific Islands.

For us it's more along the lines of expanding around some of our favorites -
- as many of the 200-odd hikes within a half hour of our Bay area home as possible
- Jeju Island, Korea - seafood
- Iceland - exotic but I suspect a lot of overlap with Alaska, Norway, and Antarctica
- West Texas - amazing combo of stars, desert and mountains plus nutty people
- Thailand / Vietnam / Cambodia - more for food, hospitality and massages than the culture/history
- France and Italy - mostly for food and art
- Mediterranean cruise
- Eastern Europe - specifically Hungary, Poland, Romania and C. Rep.
- and, of course, Northern California which is actually pretty wide open north of Sonoma or so.

Skill-wise -
- teach at community college
- grow a fabulous vegetable garden
- spend more time volunteering at key organizations

dm200

Post by dm200 » Mon May 07, 2018 1:44 pm

It is not for me, but I know folks who have hiked the whole Appalachian trail - several when in the 60's or 70's. There are even several month "preparation" groups/classes for those who want to do this.

vested1

Post by vested1 » Mon May 07, 2018 2:20 pm

Our bucket list seems to always involve doing something physical. As Eleanor Roosevelt once said "Do one thing every day that scares you", a credo that is emblazoned on a magnet on our refrigerator. I don't know about every day, but the occasional scare keeps you young and gives you something to talk about.

Among our favorites was walking the Kilauea Iki Caldera on the Big Island of Hawaii, something not presently possible because of recent volcanic activity. Walking across the surface of that caldera for what I believe is over 2 miles makes you question your sanity. Steam rises through numerous vents on your route. Then there's snorkeling with the manta rays and dolphins, or kayaking Kealakekua Bay (Captain Cooks). Last year at 64/65 my wife and I braved 5 foot waves to exit the launch point in order to reach the bay and see the spinner dolphins on all sides of the kayak. She screamed and cursed my name on the way out, but we forged ahead anyway.

We also experienced the full eclipse on a trip to Oregon last year towing our travel trailer, and kayak fishing lakes along the way. We've always wanted to fly into a remote lake in Alaska to fish, but due to previous hair raising experiences while camping in bear country, my wife refuses a repeat performance, so my brother will have to take my wife's place on that trip.

If you're a baseball fan I would consider visiting all 30 of the professional baseball parks.

Watty

Post by Watty » Mon May 07, 2018 2:42 pm

SrGrumpy wrote:
Trader/Investor wrote:
runner3081 wrote:

Not exactly a failure but I realized that I have been to 49 states and I will likely not hit 50.

The one I am missing is North Dakota and I don't think that I will ever get there even though I will be within 100 miles of it this summer.

halfnine

Post by halfnine » Mon May 07, 2018 3:26 pm

SrGrumpy wrote:
I always wanted to head over the Khyber Pass from Pakistan into Afghanistan then head up north to the rest of the 'stans. Not looking good right now.

halfnine

Post by halfnine » Mon May 07, 2018 3:28 pm

dm200 wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 1:44 pm
It is not for me, but I know folks who have hiked the whole Appalachian trail - several when in the 60's or 70's. There are even several month "preparation" groups/classes for those who want to do this.
See Grandma Gatewood

reggiesimpson

Post by reggiesimpson » Mon May 07, 2018 7:16 pm

Raced in the Baja 1000. Top of my bucket list. Unforgettable !

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Mon May 07, 2018 7:37 pm

I’d like to walk across Scotland via legal rights-of-way, staying in inns along the way, either west-to-east or the reverse. Not sure I’ll ever do it. I knew someone once who took this route with his son. He said it can get quite chilly in the highlands, even in summer.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Mon May 07, 2018 9:26 pm

SrGrumpy wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 12:23 pm
Sandtrap wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 10:05 am
SrGrumpy wrote:

Shucks.
j
My grandmother was well traveled throughout Australia and North America - back in the day when respectable people took Greyhound - but never Europe. When she finally went there, an 80-something widow with a tour group, she broke her leg on an uneven footpath in Paris on the 3rd day and had to be flown home (thanks to travel insurance). No more foreign travel for her. I'm not even sure she saw the Mona Lisa.
Yes.
A dear friend, age 80, broke is hip on a fall in Thailand. Surgery there, then full replacement 1 year later home in the USA and then 1 more year recovery, not 100%.
Actionably: lifestyle creep while still healthy. . . go fer it!

aloha
j :D

Roberts111

Post by Roberts111 » Tue May 08, 2018 1:18 am

I just reviewed my bucket list and some of the memorable things I have done include:
- African Safari
- Hiking around Victoria Falls
- Borobudur, Indonesia
- Attending a Presidential Inauguration in DC
- State Opening of UK Parliament (seeing the Queen)
- Skydiving
- Parthenon in Athens
- Santorini, Greece
- Vatican
- Roman Collesseum
- Horseback safari in Costa Rica
- Exploring Tokyo by subway

fourwheelcycle

Post by fourwheelcycle » Tue May 08, 2018 7:06 am

The best trips we have taken, in no particular order, are:

Yellowstone

Yosemite

Anywhere in the US southwest - Santa Fe, Canyon de Chelly, Antelope Canyon, Grand Canyon, Sedona, Moab

Banff to Jasper, including Medicine Lake

New Zealand South Island

Prague and Cesky Krumlov

Gohagan Changing Tides of History Cruising the Baltic Sea, with Norway pre-trip

Paris, Normandy, Amsterdam

metacritic

Post by metacritic » Tue May 08, 2018 7:17 am

1. hiking to mountain gorillas in Rwanda or Uganda (pondering doing this in summer 2018)

2. Angkor Wat

3. Burma

4. Komodo National Park/Flores

5. Namibia

6. Iguacu Falls

7. Salta, Argentina

8. Antarctica

9. Borneo

10. Eat my way through Kyoto

metacritic

Post by metacritic » Tue May 08, 2018 7:19 am

My parents took us through the Khyber Pass as a child. We drove. Most fantastic place I’ve ever been and I’ve lived a life of rich travels.

halfnine wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 3:26 pm
SrGrumpy wrote:
I always wanted to head over the Khyber Pass from Pakistan into Afghanistan then head up north to the rest of the 'stans. Not looking good right now.

A440

Post by A440 » Tue May 08, 2018 9:42 am

I'd like to learn how to play slack key guitar and serenade my wife while viewing a sunset in Hanalei Bay Kauai.

rixer

Post by rixer » Tue May 08, 2018 10:03 am

I want to travel the west, rockhounding gemstones, minerals and petrified wood.

Bfwolf

Post by Bfwolf » Tue May 08, 2018 10:06 am

metacritic wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 7:17 am
1. hiking to mountain gorillas in Rwanda or Uganda (pondering doing this in summer 2018)
I did this in February and would strongly recommend it. But I think you'd want to combine it with something else in East Africa besides just gorilla trekking.

HomerJ

Post by HomerJ » Tue May 08, 2018 10:11 am

open_circuit wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 9:22 am
Become conversational in at least two languages besides your childhood / native language. Use these to support international travel.
Heh, at least two?
The J stands for Jay

peterinjapan

Post by peterinjapan » Wed May 09, 2018 9:20 am

My dream retirement would be, every 3-4 months I head off to some cool new place, and stay in an Airbnb, staying in the city for 2-4 weeks, enough to explore all there is to reasonably explore. I'd blog about it and be some cool old dude travel blogger. Sadly my wife is much less adventurious and will wait at home for me for most of my trips, she says. Hmmm.

tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr » Thu May 10, 2018 7:18 am

Learn how to paint
Learn how to play an instrument
Learn a new language
Volunteer at a pet shelter
Do a meals-on-wheels program
Any volunteer work helping others
Smiling at everyone you meet :happy
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.