Bucket List Adventures/Activities

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
TheTimeLord

Bucket List Adventures/Activities

Post by TheTimeLord »

In reviewing my bucket list, it is woefully short imo and won't take more than a couple years to knock off, I was hoping the BH could help me out by letting me know what are some of their bucket list adventures/activities.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
midareff

Re: Bucket List Adventures/Activities

Post by midareff »

It's international travel for me TL and we have been at it hard for several years. We did a good bit of USA travel while we were waiting for my wife's US Citizenship and Passport but that is accomplished as of 11/17 and we are back on international. US wise we did Alaska sea and ground, Snake and Columbia Rivers in Washington and Oregon, Coastal Maine and a full Mississippi crossing from Minneapolis to New Orleans besides the normal Key West, Fort Myers and North Carolina Mountain stuff. The cruises were on American Cruise Lines who do a very good, not great job. We did Amsterdam to Budapest and Moscow to St. Petersburg on Viking and will be doing Odessa to Kiev in the Ukraine with them next month. They do a great job. I've also traveled just about all over Asia and we have also done the Panama Canal, Puerto Rico, Costa Rica and others. Rather than just going on .... adventures are online at www.martindareff.com
Last edited by midareff on Thu May 03, 2018 9:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
LiterallyIronic

Post by LiterallyIronic »

I'd like to do a trip to Europe before I die. I'd want to see the Eiffel Tower, the Leaning Tower of Pisa, the Colosseum, and Stonehenge (at a minimum). Grand Canyon and Old Faithful are the things in the US that I want to see.
alex_686

Post by alex_686 »

Time Lord, why not visit Minneapolis? You can see the Paternoster Gang again. Your favorite female Victorian ninja and Sontaran will be there.

http://console-room.com/
Former brokerage operations & mutual fund accountant. I hate risk, which is why I study and embrace it.
Topic Author
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

midareff wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 9:14 am It's international travel for me TL and we have been at it hard for several years. We did a good bit of USA travel while we were waiting for my wife's US Citizenship and Passport but that is accomplished as of 11/17 and we are back on international. US wise we did Alaska sea and ground, Snake and Columbia Rivers in Washington and Oregon, Coastal Maine and a full Mississippi crossing from Minneapolis to New Orleans besides the normal Key West, Fort Myers and North Carolina Mountain stuff. The cruises were on American Cruise Lines who do a very good, not great job. We did Amsterdam to Budapest and Moscow to St. Petersburg on Viking and will be doing Odessa to Kiev in the Ukraine with them next month. They do a great job. I've also traveled just about all over Asia and we have also done the Panama Canal, Puerto Rico, Costa Rica and others. Rather than just going on .... adventures are online at www.martindareff.com
I would enjoy hearing more about touring coastal Maine and lobster roll stands.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
mhc

Post by mhc »

Two things my DW and I enjoy are visiting National Parks and State Capitol buildings. They are "soft" bucket list items.
Topic Author
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

mhc wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 9:17 am Two things my DW and I enjoy are visiting National Parks and State Capitol buildings. They are "soft" bucket list items.
Big fan of Yosemite and Yellowstone. Really want to see Glacier and the Utah Canyon lands.
open_circuit

Post by open_circuit »

Become conversational in at least two languages besides your childhood / native language. Use these to support international travel.
GAAP

Post by GAAP »

Round-The-World (RTW) Motorcycle trip -- or drive, if you don't ride. That will take a few years, minimum
midareff

Post by midareff »

TheTimeLord wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 9:17 am
midareff wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 9:14 am It's international travel for me TL and we have been at it hard for several years. We did a good bit of USA travel while we were waiting for my wife's US Citizenship and Passport but that is accomplished as of 11/17 and we are back on international. US wise we did Alaska sea and ground, Snake and Columbia Rivers in Washington and Oregon, Coastal Maine and a full Mississippi crossing from Minneapolis to New Orleans besides the normal Key West, Fort Myers and North Carolina Mountain stuff. The cruises were on American Cruise Lines who do a very good, not great job. We did Amsterdam to Budapest and Moscow to St. Petersburg on Viking and will be doing Odessa to Kiev in the Ukraine with them next month. They do a great job. I've also traveled just about all over Asia and we have also done the Panama Canal, Puerto Rico, Costa Rica and others. Rather than just going on .... adventures are online at www.martindareff.com
We started in Portsmouth and went in a couple of days early for our cruise on American. On the ship you could have lobster for breakfast, lunch and dinner, and pre-dinner happy hour snacks. BTW, American does a great pre-dinner Happy Hour daily and will stock your favorite spirit at the bar on request. Happy hour and cocktails during evening entertainment are included as is beer and wine with lunch and dinner. Coastal Maine is interesting, and historic. I we had I believe 8 stops however after 4 or 5 small coastal port cities you have kinda seen them all. They chef on this trip was fabuluous and I would put him against Bobby any day. We had a great ships captain as well, a recently retired Naval Task Force Commander who had also spent some Pentagon time. Very sharp guy. That particular trips album is here https://www.martindareff.com/Travel-in- ... -of-Maine/ and everything is annotated as to what and where.
Hillview

Post by Hillview »

travel
- family to africa trip for 2 weeks
- live for a few months at least in Europe and Latin America
- cruise alaska (I am not a cruise person but keen for this trip)

considering
- trying a tiny house
- living in the FL Keys for a season
- horseback riding trip for a week or two
- habitat for humanity or similar builds internationally (maybe part of above trips)
davegreen10

Post by davegreen10 »

-View a TOTAL eclipse of the sun
-See the Northern Lights
champion_ham

Post by champion_ham »

1. Visit Bora Bora
2. African safari (check out Ngorongoro Crater)
3. See the Northern lights
4. Visit Kakslauttanen Arctic Resort (stay in an igloo)
5. Travel Southeast Asia (Bangkok, Singapore (check out Marina Bay Sands), Vietnam, Bali, etc.)
6. Visit the Galapagos Islands
7. Drive the Pacific Coast Highway
8. Desert safari in Dubai

I'm sure there are many more...these are just a few on my bucket list.
randomizer

Post by randomizer »

For me it’s mostly making things, learning things.
87.5:12.5, EM tilt — HODL the course!
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

I have been able to cross off many of my bucket list items at a fast enough pace to suit my tastes, all except for one. The one bucket list activity that I hope to accomplish someday is to read every single book in my library. Alas, I seem to buy books faster than I can read them all though.
wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds »

One would think that definition of a bucket list is something that *you* want to do and *not* somebody else tells you to do.
goodlifer

Post by goodlifer »

I want to see the Galapagos, the northern lights, and Antarctica. We are planning on Europe next summer, so might as well stop in Iceland. If I don't see the lights there and actually get to Antarctica, I will count the aurora australis as filling my "northern lights" needs.
DWesterb2iz2

Post by DWesterb2iz2 »

A whale watch. I've only ever been on the ones off the coast of Massachusetts. Seeing humpback whales is just amazing. When people are in Boston and ask me what to do, if it's in season, I always say get down to the Aquarium and get on a boat for a whale watch.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

I would like to live for 1-3 months in the following places during fall - winter

1) Santa Fe / Taos area
2) southern France
3) Northern Italy
4) Washington State near, not on ocean.

Visit Grand Canyon
Visit Sedona

Classes at John C. Campbell Folk School in North Carolina.

https://www.folkschool.org
Irisheyes

Post by Irisheyes »

I would like to spend several months a year somewhere I can cross country ski from my front door.

I would like to visit Piedmont during truffle season.

I want to visit sussex and Kent during the summer and tour the Bloomsbury group's gardens
(https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/09/trav ... woolf.html)

I want to take up the piano again, which I abandoned age 15.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

Times square - New years eve (did that in the 60's)

Saw the Pope in 1979 (or perhaps 78) on a US visit

Visited International falls MN

Saw a moon rocket launch (Apollot 17 at night)

Visited "South of the Border"

Red Square and Lenin Mauseleum

Maid of the Mist Niagara Falls

if I ever get to Ireland - kiss the Blarney stone
junetree

Post by junetree »

My family has done a lot of traveling over the past 7 years. We are pretty well traveled.

Favorites -- what we've done:

- Crossing the border into North Korea at the JSA / DMZ
- Getting lost on a glacier in Iceland while snowmobiling
- Climbing all the steps up the Potala palace in Lhasa, Tibet whilst battling minor altitude sickness
- The fjords of Norway, music festivals in the South of Norway and meeting our favorite world musicians
- Visiting the ossuary in Kutna Hora in the Czech Republic
- Exploring manors in Sweden and finding moated villages while road tripping
- Medieval forts in Estonia
- Visiting the Tiger Temple in Kanchanaburi, Thailand, 3 months before it shut down (due to controversy).
- Mingling with kangaroos in a kangaroo ranch/farm in Perth.
- Chinese New Year in Singapore
- Mules on the Grand Canyon
- A "paranormal" investigation overnight in New Orleans
- the Paris Catacombs.
- Canoes down alligator swamps in New Orleans
- Canoes down the water canals of Tongli near Suzhou, China
- Seeing the Yangtze gorges.
- Witnessing Gregorian chanters in the St Peter & Paul Cathedral in St. Petersburg
- Road tripping through the Snaefellsnes peninsula in Iceland.

There are many, many more amazing locations, but those are a few highlights.

This year:

- This summer in the Galapagos and road tripping around Ecuador. Going to Quilatoa, Cotopaxi and Ingapirca and trying their Devil's Nose Train.

Future Plans:

- Transiberian Train Tour from China to Russia
- Northern Lights
- Central Asia
- Safari
- Antarctica / the Arctic
- If brave enough, the ice festival in Harbin, China
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

Interesting to see what people have on their list.

For me? I don't really have a bucket list.
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

For some reason I think it'd be cool to travel somewhere by cargo ship. Especially if the ship's route crosses the equator, so I can cross two things off my list at once. :D
Stay on target...
Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Post by Taylor Larimore »

midareff:

I enjoyed each one of your beautiful Africa animal photographs.

I think you will enjoy talking with my son, Michael and his wife, Joyce, at our next S. Florida Chapter meeting on July 1st.. Michael and Joyce recently returned from an African safari with similar pictures.

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
abner kravitz

Post by abner kravitz »

I only have a couple, pretty boring

- Boston Bruins Stanley Cup playoff game in Montreal
- One long trip to Europe (never been)

My wife's list is a lot longer......
alex_686

Post by alex_686 »

TheTimeLord wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 9:21 am Big fan of Yosemite and Yellowstone. Really want to see Glacier and the Utah Canyon lands.
Iceland is on my bucket list. Like Yellowstone and Glacier, lots of geothermic areas and glaciers.
Former brokerage operations & mutual fund accountant. I hate risk, which is why I study and embrace it.
Utahdogowner

Post by Utahdogowner »

TheTimeLord wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 9:21 am
mhc wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 9:17 am Two things my DW and I enjoy are visiting National Parks and State Capitol buildings. They are "soft" bucket list items.
Big fan of Yosemite and Yellowstone. Really want to see Glacier and the Utah Canyon lands.
Be sure to also see Valley of the Gods, Monument Valley, goosenecks, Mesa Verde all in that little area. Not to mention all the Indian Ruins that are everywhere.
Utahdogowner

Post by Utahdogowner »

davegreen10 wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 10:35 am -View a TOTAL eclipse of the sun
-See the Northern Lights
We saw the last total eclipse in August 20 17. It truly was one of the most spectacular experiences of my life.
Utahdogowner

Post by Utahdogowner »

davegreen10 wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 10:35 am -View a TOTAL eclipse of the sun
-See the Northern Lights
We saw the last total eclipse in August 20 17. It truly was one of the most spectacular experiences of my life.
mak1277

Post by mak1277 »

Mine changes as things in my life change...my current fluctuating list of goals includes:

- relearning French to the point of being able to read literature. I have vague memories of reading Le Petit Prince in the original French back in high school and I'd like to get back to that point.

- I'm currently working my way towards catching a wild brook trout in every state in the species' native range (mainly the appalachians with some midwest states thrown in for fun). I plan to check Georgia off the list in the next week.

- slow travel in retirement. Spending 3-6 weeks really getting to know a different place each year.
DanMahowny

Post by DanMahowny »

I completed my bucket list last year at age 50.

Now I just keep a list of people that I want to see die before me.
Funding secured
Rocco Sampler

Post by Rocco Sampler »

Not that I've done all these:

Climb the Grand Tetons (with a guide and some training)
Stay at an Ice Hotel
Learn to fly an airplane
Hike the Appalachian Trail
Drive from the tip of South America to the Tip of Alaska
Go to Spain and stay in some Paradores
Go to bull riding school
Visit as many national parks and monuments as possible
Hitchhike across Australia
Run with the bulls in Pamplona
Attend the world’s largest annual tomato fight in Buñol, Spain
Pet a wild crocodile at Katchikally Crocodile Pool in Banjul, The Gambia
Attend the Annual Flower Festival in Medellin, Colombia
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

Places I haven't been

Machu Picchu
Australia
Grand Tetons
Japan
Potugal
Spain
Malta
Africa
South America
Russia and former communist block countries
Alaska
Nearly A Moose

Post by Nearly A Moose »

TheTimeLord wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 9:17 am
It's enjoyable. Camden is a beautiful little town that is recommend. Not really a secret or anything, but very nice. Couple hour drive up the coast from Portland, which takes you by more than one lobster roll stand.

If you're interested in international travel, I'd highly recommend a weeklong tour of the Galapagos islands. Get yourself into a small but full service boat tour. You sleep on the ship, make landfall twice a day, beautiful snorkeling, etc. You can find one with a guide that really knows what they're talking about and learn a ton.
Pardon typos, I'm probably using my fat thumbs on a tiny phone.
White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor »

LiterallyIronic wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 9:15 am I'd like to do a trip to Europe before I die. I'd want to see the Eiffel Tower, the Leaning Tower of Pisa, the Colosseum, and Stonehenge (at a minimum). Grand Canyon and Old Faithful are the things in the US that I want to see.
Wow. That's the first time I've heard a bucket list and realized I've inadvertently ticked off someone else's bucket list! What a blessed life I must have. I'm a sucker for European history and for the American West though.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
bluelight

Post by bluelight »

I keep a copy of my bucket list taped to my desk. Some days it's the only thing that keeps me still employed. Over the last few years we've checked a few places on the list with a couple of European vacations and USA road trips.

Still to do:
Alaskan cruise/tour which is already in the works for 2019.
Swiss and Austrian Alps. I've flown over them but want to see them up close.
Glacier National Park and Montana
Trans Canada via railroad
Sicily and the Greek Islands
I would love to see the Northern lights, not picky where that happens

I'm heading to Paris at the end of May for 2 weeks. It wasn't on my bucket list, but an opportunity that presented itself.
WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Howdy

Pick a marathon in some nice place - Barcelona maybe? - and start training for it. That will keep you busy for a while.

Worked for me.

Happy trails

W B
"Through chances various, through all vicissitudes, we make our way." Virgil, The Aeneid
Watty

Post by Watty »

There is another good total eclipse coming up in a few years so you can plan other travels around that without not much trouble.

A few things I have not see on other lists that I have done.

1) See molten lava. Saw that in Hawaii in the 1980's and it was amazing. I was able to stand maybe ten feet from it but they may control access to it more now since tourists standing ten feet from molten lava could result in a Darwin award. I was there at dusk and stayed until it was dark so I got to see it both in daylight and glowing at night.

2) Saw a space shuttle land. You are out of luck now.

3) Saw the glow worms in cave a in New Zealand (Avoid the biggest comercial cave.) Not worth going all the way to New Zealand but if you are there then try to see it.

4) Panned for gold and got a gold nugget. That was in the first hour of a three day weekend. I busted my rear for the next three days and only got a little gold dust. Also dug for diamonds in Arkansas but did not get any.

5) Dug up Thunderegg agates in Oregon(Google is your friend)

6) Slept in a castle in Ireland (technically a tower house)

A few things I have yet to see

7) A rocket launch, I have missed them a few times when they rescheduled the launch when I happened to be in Florida on other vacations.

8) See really good northern lights. I saw a vague glow once.

9) See the synchronous fireflies that are in the Smoky Mountain national park a few hours from me.
midareff

Post by midareff »

Taylor Larimore wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 2:30 pm
midareff:

I enjoyed each one of your beautiful Africa animal photographs.

I think you will enjoy talking with my son, Michael and his wife, Joyce, at our next S. Florida Chapter meeting on July 1st.. Michael and Joyce recently returned from an African safari with similar pictures.

Best wishes.
Taylor
Sounds great Taylor.... we will just be back from the Ukraine then.
FCM

Post by FCM »

My best friend and I had always been fascinated with the Lewis and Clark expedition and wanted to trace the route before we "kicked the bucket." Thus, we took a 3 week bus tour that followed the Lewis and Clark trail from St. Louis, MO, to Astoria, OR, three years ago. It certainly was a better way to experience the route than driving it ourselves.
Topic Author
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

These are all great bucket lists, but I am surprised at the lack of golf destinations on them. Most are very adventurous, kudos to everyone.
trueson1

Post by trueson1 »

Done - Skydiving for my 60th Bday!

To do:
Alaska and Canadian fishing adventures - multiple salmon species, a big halibut
Various other fishing - sailfish, tuna, shark
Australia, NZ - extended stay
Israel - Holy land tour
GAAP

Post by GAAP »

DanMahowny wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 2:58 pm Now I just keep a list of people that I want to see die before me.
This is one place where active involvement can lead to better returns... :twisted:
Cop51

Post by Cop51 »

champion_ham wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 10:47 am 1. Visit Bora Bora
5. Travel Southeast Asia (Bangkok, Singapore (check out Marina Bay Sands), Vietnam, Bali, etc.)

Bora Bora is the greatest place on Earth. Nothing can came pare to it.
Topic Author
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

Cop51 wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 9:38 am

Maybe its changed in the couple decades since I have been there, but I don't think it makes my top 5 list of places I have been. That said, it is all a matter of taste.
mak1277

Post by mak1277 »

TheTimeLord wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 10:01 am

Maybe its changed in the couple decades since I have been there, but I don't think it makes my top 5 list of places I have been. That said, it is all a matter of taste.
Can't make a comment like that without listing the top 5!
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

GAAP wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 9:28 am
DanMahowny wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 2:58 pm Now I just keep a list of people that I want to see die before me.
This is one place where active involvement can lead to better returns... :twisted:
But often with a prohibitively high ER 8-)

The idea of a bucket list has always seemed too goal-oriented even for me. But in the past several years I have done a few things that I always wanted to do very much, so I guess that was my unofficial bucket list and has been completed. Now I am quite happy just to go new places or do new things that seem attractive rather than repeating previous special trips or experiences that I enjoyed.
champion_ham

Post by champion_ham »

Agreed! Visited 2 years ago. Absolutely stunning! Can’t wait to get back one day!
caffeinefree

Post by caffeinefree »

For me they are mostly travel related. I've visited 47 countries in my 32 years on earth - at this rate, I won't get to see them all before I die, but I'm sure trying hard to. Right now my travel related bucket list looks something like:

- Visit as many countries as possible - top of my list right now are Thailand, New Zealand, Vietnam, Croatia, and Mongolia
- Visit all 7 continents
- Celebrate Chinese New Year in China
- See as many of the Wonders of the World (natural and man-made) as possible: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wonders_of_the_World - currently top of that list:
- Pyramids at Giza
- Hike the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu
- Northern Lights

Of course most of these are hard to "cross off," since the list itself changes! But that's part of the fun for me. :)

I also have a handful of items not related to traveling:

- Try skydiving
- Ride in a hot air balloon
- Hike an ice cave
- Write a book
- Learn to play the piano
- Learn to sew

Some things I've done that I would recommend to others, depending on interests:

- Hike a glacier
- Hike an active volcano/lava field
- Watch a rocket launch
- Learn to fly a plane
- Learn to sail a boat
- Sail the Greek islands
- See a green flash: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_flash
- Learn to SCUBA dive
- Carnival in Trinidad
- Mardi Gras in New Orleans
- Oktoberfest in Munich
- Solo road trip around Iceland's Ring Road
- Airboat in the Everglades

Good luck adding to your bucket list, TheTimeLord!